weekly Posiview's TP52 for 2014 Week 52 Support added and FINISHED :)

Morning Andy

well done you for getting out there & outside your comfort zone......I'm another not comfortable with street type photography....even though I've been in to fire stations , taxi ranks etc ! but my fear is more being mugged than worrying about what people think I'm doing ,maybe we should have a daytime meet in a city ...there's safety in numbers & we'll both look like plonkers :D

Positive.... your edit works much better with more lighting on the hand ,the thumb looks less detached (y)

Hi Andy, nice idea for ending and the toned down vase is much better, but I'm not keen on the border.
Positive, it took me a while to figure out why on a thumb :bonk: Maybe just a tad more lighting on the fingers to make them more visible. The missing ends of some of the words bothers my OCD as well! Oh, just seen the edit, better a little brighter.

Don't you just hate it when technology fails, hope it's all sorted now?

Time, not sure on the background, all the shops are a little distracting with all the different colours.The dayglo yellow on the left looks like two people are merged together. Have you tried this in B&W? I do like the idea though for the theme, and having done a similar shot last year I know what it's like setting your camera up on a tripod in the city. But I did have Iain for company!!! Well done for doing something outside of your comfort zone though (y) Hopefully next time it'll be a lot less :nailbiting: next time!

Cracking feedback, Marsha, appreciate it.

Yeah, the border really split opinion :)

Time, there is a lot wrong with this one and I accept that. But I feel really good at having done street photography :)

Cheers.

Hi Andy.. For me this weeks submission is not really about the photo or the composition or the processing but the personal achievement of getting into a busy city and doing something you're not comfortable with.

You got the shots... Nothing bad happened and you should be able to be much more relaxed in the same situation in the future.

Good for you. (y)

I do feel I'll be better next time.

Cheers (y)

I'm with Graham on this one Andy, well done on getting out there and having a go (y)
The image itself does work, when scrolling down on my screen, I used the top edge of it to 'crop' your image. Just below the red shop banner gives a whole different perspective IMHO.

Marsha @The goblin and I did have a good day out shooting a similar style, it is easier when you've got company but I must admit, it does get easier when out on your own. I have been out loads of times in London, setting up my tripod, lying on the deck and suchlike, people will look but I pretend I haven't seen them looking and just carry on :D

Cheers, Iain.

I actually feel it will be easier next time and more fun.

Appreciate the FB.

Cheers.

Time - you have two very interesting concepts, and it like the ideas behind both of them. The second image I feel would work so much better with the top red part of the sign on the building cropped. I did the same thing as Iain did and it to me has a much stronger impact. And great stuff for having a go street photography's not my seen either.

Cheers, Mandy. I didn't consider a crop and will have a go (y)

Morning Andy

well done you for getting out there & outside your comfort zone......I'm another not comfortable with street type photography....even though I've been in to fire stations , taxi ranks etc ! but my fear is more being mugged than worrying about what people think I'm doing ,maybe we should have a daytime meet in a city ...there's safety in numbers & we'll both look like plonkers :D

Positive.... your edit works much better with more lighting on the hand ,the thumb looks less detached (y)

Cheers. A daytime meet sounds good. I'm sure there will be somewhere in Wales :)

Hi Andy.....well done to you for taking the bull by the horns and doing it, I can see how it feels awkward pointing your camera at a total stranger. I like both shots......visually I do prefer the first one....I really like that one a lot, but I like the ghostly figures in the second.

Hi Andy, I know what you mean about street photography wouldn't attempt it myself its a bit scary
like the image so it has to have been worth it
small crit would be to straighten it no one else has mentioned it so maybe its just me

Cheers, edit below.
Oooooo much better with the edit mate...

Time - For a placeholder that's a nice image mate, nice buildings along with the clock tower, the light trails add a much needed streak of colour for me (y)

Time Travel - The guy in high viz coat is a bit off putting, but the other people blurred in the shot are working well, I can guess how hard it must have been for you, great achievement in getting past this fear :clap:

hi Andy, well done you for gong out of your comfort zone! I did a similar shot for my 2012 52 in Scarborough. I had hoped that being in a seaside resort people wouldn't notice but it was January!! I got a shot but can't say I enjoyed taking it!! I hope you get your computer prblems sorted soon!:)

Hi Andy.....well done to you for taking the bull by the horns and doing it, I can see how it feels awkward pointing your camera at a total stranger. I like both shots......visually I do prefer the first one....I really like that one a lot, but I like the ghostly figures in the second.

Like the trails nice composition. Also like the 2nd image though agree that it would work better with someone stationary in. Good one you though for getting out there.

Hi Andy, I know what you mean about street photography wouldn't attempt it myself its a bit scary
like the image so it has to have been worth it
small crit would be to straighten it no one else has mentioned it so maybe its just me

well done for getting out there and having a go I have always been intrigued with street photography but as off yet not given it a go

Oooooo much better with the edit mate...

Time - For a placeholder that's a nice image mate, nice buildings along with the clock tower, the light trails add a much needed streak of colour for me (y)

Time Travel - The guy in high viz coat is a bit off putting, but the other people blurred in the shot are working well, I can guess how hard it must have been for you, great achievement in getting past this fear :clap:

Well done Andy. (y)

I'm another one for the crop... :cow:

Chests!

Hi Andy,
Time two very different images #1 I like the colours and the sharpness(y) #2 doesn't realluy do it for me but well done for getting out there, I would find that difficult too(y)(y)

hi Andy, well done you for gong out of your comfort zone! I did a similar shot for my 2012 52 in Scarborough. I had hoped that being in a seaside resort people wouldn't notice but it was January!! I got a shot but can't say I enjoyed taking it!! I hope you get your computer prblems sorted soon!:)

Cheers, all.

Appreciate the feedback. All taken on board.

Always after subject matter for a bit of stacking. I might try and get a photograph from below while it swirls downwards.

My laptop woes continue and it's taking me ages to process anything.

I have another Swirl in mind but here's my first submission.

There's the odd OOF bit but overall, I'm happy :)

Cheers.

Week 11 Swirl
by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Hi, nicely detailed image and i like your thinking there :clap:, you must have had it a while looks very dry,
different and as i said well thought out (y)

Oh thank heavens, an on-theme picture that does not look like stuff rotating. Well done and thank so much for the relief. (y)

Hi, nicely detailed image and i like your thinking there :clap:, you must have had it a while looks very dry,
different and as i said well thought out (y)

You should see our window cill....whenever we go out both Isabelle and I always come home with all manner of shells, leaves, flowers, pebbles, and more. Jackie give us that :geek: look :)

Oh thank heavens, an on-theme picture that does not look like stuff rotating. Well done and thank so much for the relief. (y)

:agree: Great shot

Thanks both.

(y)

Time Backup - I feel this has been taken too late in the evening. My preference for these is seeing some colour in the sky
Time- Good idea to blur the shoppers. A minor crit is the bright colour of the person in the foreground. A major crit is that football logo :exit:
Swirl - ooo I do like this one. You've kept a lot of detail in the subject and leaving a bit of shadow takes it away from being a floating image. Thumbs up for the diagonal composition.

Last edited:
Super detail in the swirler there Andy. Not seeing any of these oof bits you speak of (on my phone). Lovely mono feel to it and that all important shadow.

Some great detail in there Andy, like the shadow and composition(y) ...............does it look a little too grainy though? :thinking:

nice idea, nicely shot. (y)

Thanks (y)

Nice clean image

Thanks (y)

Time Backup - I feel this has been taken too late in the evening. My preference for these is seeing some colour in the sky
Time- Good idea to blur the shoppers. A minor crit is the bright colour of the person in the foreground. A major crit is that football logo :exit:
Swirl - ooo I do like this one. You've kept a lot of detail in the subject and leaving a bit of shadow takes it away from being a floating image. Thumbs up for the diagonal composition.

Cheers, Peter.

Time, yup too late but bragging Isabelle awy from the TV was not easy :bat:

Time #2, one where I was so focused on the people I missed the BG.

Swirl, cheers, I do enjoy macro.

Super detail in the swirler there Andy. Not seeing any of these oof bits you speak of (on my phone). Lovely mono feel to it and that all important shadow.

Thanks. I can always see every flaw :)

Nice take on the theme, certainly going against the grain for this week. Great detail in it, yes a few blurry areas but I only saw them because you said they were there so I went looking, doh!

Cheerss (y)

excellent detail in there and certainly different to what we have seen so far this week took me ages to find the oof you mentioned

Yeah, I tend to zoom in to 100%...:puke:

Thanks.

Nice original idea .......shape and texture look great, and its swirly too :)

Cheers. Always good to get a different angle.

Some great detail in there Andy, like the shadow and composition(y) ...............does it look a little too grainy though? :thinking:

Thanks, Phil, you are right about the grain. My laptop is playing up so I was unable to work with RAW. Had to work with JPEG.

As an aside, 30 photographs were taken at different focal lengths. What would ususlaly take me around 30 minutes to do, the stacking is, took me 11 hours none stop. Laptop was taking agesssss to stack and I had to do two at a time and then stack them.

Cheers all.

Hi all, we'll I've just placed 19th in the 2014 POTY. I'm disapointed but keeping my chin up (y).

I'm making a sincere call for more critiscism of my photoraphs. I know it may not be easy to take, but placing 19th and lower for the first two months of the POTY is making me quesiton my abilities as a photgrapher.

I'm not going to quit and I'm not fishing for compliments, just hardcore crit.

I appreciate your continued feedback.

Regards.

Last edited:
Andy, where is the POTY pictures/results thread please. May I have a look at your picture?

Andy - Keep your chin up you take some bl**dy good photos. But even good ones need critique as there are times when they can be improved. I know you weren't fishing but your POTY entry was very impressive. I'd have been pretty pleased with it. Compositionally I think it DOES work. The movement in the sky is the main feature and the rocks (on the third) compliment the smoothness of the moving clouds and the smoothness of the field in the foreground.

Lack of feedback and consistency of the judges' remarks in POTY was the killer for me last year. When they do remark that is - I had about 5 or 6 months when I got no feedback whatsoever which doesn't help the learning/improving process. That and all the fuss over the amount of pp the rules did or didn't allow you to do.

Apologies rant over.

Now for more positive discussion around your issue. Yes I am more than happy to provide honest feedback. It is sometimes difficult if you don't know the person but in your case I do know you take crit very well and act on it when you agree. When you don't agree I'd like to say I haven't spotted the strop that some members on other parts of the forum can have.

Here's a proposal........................

What we haven't had for quite some time is a Yorkshire TP meet. Your challenge is to organise one where we don't bring our cameras! What? I hear you say. Instead we bring our laptops and sit around having a chat and share our images and provide some critique. Maybe with the added bonus of doing it over a beer or a Costa. I'd be happy to attend (other commitments allowing) especially if it's in the Leeds area. Numbers would have to be limited due to the logistics of sitting around a screen although obviously if we could find a venue with a projector that would be even better.

Hi Andy, I found your pic. I will spend some time looking at it and post later.

Peters idea sounds like a good one. I wonder if it would be possible to do it via skype? talking is so much better than typing.

OK, Here goes... my critique of your winter landscape entry into the POTY.

When I first looked at this I saw a desolate landscape and I do think it fits the theme quite well.

I think that the focus, exposure & contrast, are all very good. Technically speaking for me this picture is just about faultless. The B&W conversion suits it really well too.

But I think the composition lets it down. The nub of it I think, is the crop.

Let me explain, the composition draws my eyes through the image and up to the sky. I like big skies but as this is a long exposure and it's all streaky and it doesn't make a compelling main subject. Many apologies if this sounds blunt but I don't think that there's enough of the outcrop of rock to make it the main subject of the picture.

I tried a few and ended up with something close to a 3:1 aspect ratio before I was comfortable with the composition.
Well, that's my thoughts anyway mate. I know you are better at this sort of stuff than me, but I do hope that hearing my opinion has made you think how a fresh pair of eyes might see it a little bit differently. Please don't beat yourself up, it's all subjective at the end of the day, how do you score art ffs? for what it's worth I would have placed the infra red image first and he got 6th!

All the best Andy, chin up matey (as no one ever says to me in case I punch them :D)

Hi all, we'll I've just placed 19th in the 2014 POTY. I'm disapointed but keeping my chin up (y).

I'm making a sincere call for more critiscism of my photoraphs. I know it may not be easy to take, but placing 19th and lower for the first two months of the POTY is making me quesiton my abilities as a photgrapher.

I'm not going to quit and I'm not fishing for compliments, just hardcore crit.

I appreciate your continued feedback.

Regards.

I'm not going to offer any feedback. I've just scrolled through the pics on that thread and, whilst I don't agree with the order they're in, I'd never begin to try to judge them.

Please don't question your abilities as a photographer: you're good at it.

You win some, you lose some, such is life.

PS. And whilst I believe we should all have our own opinions, tastes, styles, beliefs in what is good and what is not quite so good, I would say Brian offers some valued feedback.

Back