weekly Quicksnapper's 52 week challenge ... Week 19 - "Household" added

Lovely messy colourful mix. Well done on the stacking ... a thing I've not tried.

Pattern - Super image. I'm afraid the top third is a little out of focus so I might suggest a square crop from the bottom of the frame. That said the blue tone is sublime and suits the subject really well. Great start.

Can I ask… as I've never heard of focus stacking before…. what benefit does it have over just taking one in focus image with enough DOF?

What I mean by that as i'm not sure why the same result could simply not be achieved in camera??? Or am I an old photography idealist who isn't really into all this PP work?

That cake does not look my idea of bliss… too many nuts… Now a nice 3 tiered black forrest gateaux with lots of cream… now you are talking bliss!

Good work on the technique anyway… Im just intrigued as to why bother?

Mark

So, here we go with week 2 - Fragile.

I've long wanted to have a go at photographing glass, so Fragile seemed to fit. This is a long exposure with a 50mm mounted on a Canon 6D. I'm quite pleased with it, but welcome any and all comments as ever.

Glass1 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Hi, playing catch up

Pattern, thats a great web shot :clap:
Bliss, not a big fan of fruit cake but you have handled the focus stacking well, just a little busy if you know what I mean
Fragile, really like the composition and you have handled the light well, couple of little things the front glass looks a little marked and they black BG bottom right could do with a tidy up

Three nicely themed images

Thanks for the comments so far. Was trying to think of an appropriate subject for the theme which proved a bit of a challenge, but the glasses seemed to fit.

Allan ... Gave the glasses a good polish before using them !!! The BG has a sort of fleecy feel to it so think it may have picked up some dust or bits from somewhere. I'll give it a going over before using it again.

Looking forward to Friday to see what comes out of the hat!!

I really like the image and it is lit just right for my eyes. Only crit is as mentioned previously re bottom right hand side which you know about. :)

Hey Sara - another nice shot for fragile! Particularly like the reflections in the bottoms of the glasses

Hi Sara

well what can I say, I love week 1 and 2 and can't think of any critiques lol sorry that's not very helpful really. :)

Thanks everyone. Been wanting to try the glass shot for a while so really pleased it worked out so well. Ironically, I spent quite a while one evening trying to get the light just right on the glasses (posed in a tent on my kitchen table!) ... sort of gave up and went to bed. Took this shot the following morning, still in my dressing gown, with the early morning light hitting the tent side on and diffusing through the sides. Thanks for the comments on the BG ... I'll give it a thorough going over before I use it again, must have been some lint or similar sticking to the surface.

Cheers all.

I hope you weren't dreaming about the shot in your sleep. That's part of art of photography; the right light and the right moment.

Well done to you.

:):):) Definitely not!! But my morning tea went cold by the time i'd gone upstairs to fetch my camera, re-set it on the tripod and got my shot. Hey ho ... a cold cuppa is a small price to pay for the right image.! Maybe photography in my jim jams is the way forward ......!:D

Reactions: rpn
Nice shot on what I think would be tricky subject to light

Hiya Sara... nicely done. Personally, I'd prefer a bit more lighting so the rims and edges really glow brightly, but you've handled a tricky subject well and still kept the background and surface very black. Did you use a felt/velvet surface out of interest?

Hiya Sara... nicely done. Personally, I'd prefer a bit more lighting so the rims and edges really glow brightly, but you've handled a tricky subject well and still kept the background and surface very black. Did you use a felt/velvet surface out of interest?

Hi Paul ... I used a light tent with a background drape which has a sort of soft fleece type finish on it to eliminate reflection. I even ironed it before I used it to get the creases out because the first few shots I took I could see fold marks on the drape .... given that I loathe ironing, that's REAL dedication to the cause!!!

Thanks for your positive comments. Looking forward to this evening to see what comes out of the hat to challenge us next week!!!

Fragile.

lovely image with some nice lighting.

I just want to get a bowling ball now..

Oi!! don't you dare. Leave my sherry glasses alone!! (...these are small sherry glasses around 5 inches tall, not wine glasses ... just out of interest ...)

Week 3 - Scenic. .... might struggle to get a new image this week due to other stuff happening (...life! ..) so here's one from my back collection. Taken on a very cold day in Rosedale, North Yorks. Nothing clever ... just a snap of some walkers climbing out of the valley.

RosedaleWalkers by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Hi, sorry I am only just stopping by, some great shots so far, all bang on theme, I really like the lighting used in your fragile image.

Very nice Sara,
It fits the theme well.

Your linky is broken on the main page though,
have a read HERE and see if it helps.

Very nice Sara,
It fits the theme well.

Your linky is broken on the main page though,
have a read HERE and see if it helps.

Thanks Cobra ....

...Bother ... thought i'd got the hang of it. Thanks for the link to the "idiots guide". Will print it off and try harder next week.

Really enjoying the 52 so far. Onwards and upwards.

I used to do a lot of walking but haven't done any of a year or so. Must get back into it.

I like how the chap is sitting down admiring the view...or maybe recovering.

Cheers.

Ni Sara, nice shot for scenic. I like the way you can see the stragglers just trying to catch up with the pack - that's how I feel when I out in the hills now ;)

Ni Sara, nice shot for scenic. I like the way you can see the stragglers just trying to catch up with the pack - that's how I feel when I out in the hills now ;)

:) lol ... Thanks for the positive comments. The shot tends to flatten the gradient, but I can assure you these folks had just reached the top of a very steep climb so not surprised one guy was having a sit down! (We drove up...!)

Hi Sara... nice take for scenic and it's quite similar to a series of shots we took in the Yorkshire Dales late 2014... some fab scenery around that part of the world.

This is an unusual shot in that I think it might work even better without any sky! If I cover up the top 20% with my hand, I find it an even more compelling shot... perhaps a tiny lift to the shadows too, just to bring the walkers out a bit more.

Nice one :)

Hi Sara... nice take for scenic and it's quite similar to a series of shots we took in the Yorkshire Dales late 2014... some fab scenery around that part of the world.

This is an unusual shot in that I think it might work even better without any sky! If I cover up the top 20% with my hand, I find it an even more compelling shot... perhaps a tiny lift to the shadows too, just to bring the walkers out a bit more.

Nice one :)

Thanks for that Paul. Never thought of cropping out the sky, but am thinking of using this shot in a club comp later in the year so might try it and see how it looks. My comp entries need all the help they can get . Cheers.

So here's one for Companions. Saw these 2 ladies shopping arm in arm and they looked so comfortable in each other's company - perfect companions ...

May have another go at this later in the week, as time and weather allow, but this one fits the bill for now ... The original was a bit "busy" with lots of different colours competing for attention, so I thought the mono treatment gave more emphasis to the two central characters.

Shoppers by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Yep that definitely works in mono Sara.
Well spotted and captured. (y)

(The linky works too BTW :) )

Yep that definitely works in mono Sara.
Well spotted and captured. (y)

(The linky works too BTW :) )

Thanks for the comments Cobra ... finally getting the hang of this linky business ....!! :)

Back