weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2013 Weeks 50,51 and 52, Fantasy, Fit and Water added - P&BD and Finished

Hi Allan,

Beginning, I like the idea behind it but am not sure about the execution for the reasons above. There is potential there if the brighter book was removed.

Still, yes, bang on theme. How long was the little one still for to enable you to take the shot?
I do like the crop, filling the frame has worked well, good choice (y)

Whimsical, again bang on theme. The seagull(s) peaking over the top just add to the whimsical nature. That looks a fantastic sculpture, very photogenic.

Good work on your catch up Allan (y)

Thanks Iain - I was so intent on getting that bible in as I thought the Coronation was so good for theme on this 6oth anniv year and yet it was so hard to get something that was not 'just a book'

Thanks for comments on other two.

'ello, Alan (y)

Beginning, 'In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.'. Had a quick Google and read more of the Bible (?) than I've done for a long time. I like your thought processes but feel you could have done better. The abstract book at the top is great.

Still, :clap:, yup works for me. I won't blab on about WB, etc, it's a cracker. Crit, eeek, hard, I'd like a crop of the L and R sides.

Whimsical, that is messing with my head. I keep trying to fit the the hanging sculpture into the main stem.....doesn't fit....:D Is that a birds at the end?

Whimsical..works for Curve as well :D

Cheers.

Hi Alan

Whimiscal................I think it was very fortuitous to take shot with this theme in mind....especially such a cracking shot , beautiful blue sky sets of the silver curve stem and reflects in the blue body (?) ...lovely shot of a very unusual statue :clap:

Still....I can't comment on this cos it's a baby & I really don't understand them....but It looks like a very still moment to me :)

Hi Alan,
Beginning, for me it's a good idea but there is something about the composition that doesn't really work for me, sorry. Also I think I would have cloned your second name out rather than blurring it.

Still is a cracker. Sleeping like a baby... Ah. I like the close crop, shhhh.

Whimsical, I can only agree with what's already been said. top shot (y)

'......

Is that a birds at the end?

Whimsical..works for Curve as well :D

Cheers.

Yes, seabirds looking down. Adds to the whimsicality i feel.

Hi Alan

Still....I can't comment on this cos it's a baby & I really don't understand them....but It looks like a very still moment to me :)

Thanks Lynne. It was only a baby cos that was all that I had to hand:D It's more the stillness that it shows I think. I could have done an SP of my daily snooze but I would not know how to press the shutter button!

Hi Alan,
Beginning, for me it's a good idea but there is something about the composition that doesn't really work for me, sorry. Also I think I would have cloned your second name out rather than blurring it.

Still is a cracker. Sleeping like a baby... Ah. I like the close crop, shhhh.

Whimsical, I can only agree with what's already been said. top shot (y)

Thanks Brian.

Re your and others' comment about the book, It just goes to show that if it feels uncomfortable and I just cannot get the comp that I want, it is probably the wrong shot. :bang:

Hi Alan

Nice sharp pic of the shoe and you have placed it nicely in the frame, colour and exposure spot on (y)

Great stuff. Looks like an advert. Would look good on a bill board don't you think?

Hi Alan

Nice sharp pic of the shoe and you have placed it nicely in the frame, colour and exposure spot on (y)
Thanks for looking, Allan

I really like this one. Good colours, nice and sharp. I can even see the different textures in the shoe. Good shot.
Thank you

Great stuff. Looks like an advert. Would look good on a bill board don't you think?

Yes Brian, I see what you mean about the billboard - that kind of overwhelming large image

yeah - super nice, lovely colours, super sharp and detailed, love the white bg with the black of the "bit what the shoe is one", and the dark shadow beneath.

really stands out viewed full screen on flick! (y)

Now, I do like that - well lit and a novel idea - I agree with Lynn, that is a magazine shot, even plenty of space for editorial.

yeah - super nice, lovely colours, super sharp and detailed, love the white bg with the black of the "bit what the shoe is one", and the dark shadow beneath.

really stands out viewed full screen on flick! (y)

Thanks Graham. I too like the 'bit of what the shor is on' as the shadow is also a curve. it is actually a Roberts Dab radio in high gloss black plastic.

Hi, Curve, as said well exposed. Lovely lighting and detail. Nice shoes as well. :D

Cheers.

Hi Alan

That's one super shoe shot....brilliant details , colors & exposure....one for a magazine advert ( or billboard as already said) :clap:

Now, I do like that - well lit and a novel idea - I agree with Lynn, that is a magazine shot, even plenty of space for editorial.
Thanks folks

Wow Alan, how long has it been since I was last here?

Speed, ooo I can't chose. I think I like the first as it curved almost corner to corner. But I love the captured still on the ride with all the girls hair caught in mid air!

Steps, great contrast with the old style clothing and the bright red dress/ shoes. What was the occasion here?

Mono, SCARY!

Connection. What is that? The slightly OOF thing bottom left I'd a little off putting, I would be tempted to crop that corner out.

Beginning, I quite like the red, white and blue thing, the colours are perfectly apt for a coronation. The blurring of your name is a little off putting but I understand why you did it.

Still, awwwwww what a cutie pie, great shot from a proud grandad :)

Whimsical, I don't mind you cheating a little bit because it's a brilliant shot. I think the gulls looking over the top make it for me : clap:

I'm going to post this now before my phone has a melt down!

Curve, an unusual object fit the theme but it fits (pun intended) the bill perfectly. Nice composition and lighting.

Power, I agree that the subject matter is a good choice for the theme but the steam doesn't work for me. It looks more like something is in the way, like a window, rather than the steam. I think a wider shot would capture it better but might lose something in the composition.

Solitude, brilliant, great subject and composition. Shame about the water bottle behind him. Love the dog too : thumbs:

Phew, all caught up again!

I can't stop looking at the two men in the check shorts and khaki shorts... if only their shoes matched it would look like a multiple exposure!

Wow Alan, how long has it been since I was last here?

Speed, ooo I can't chose. I think I like the first as it curved almost corner to corner. But I love the captured still on the ride with all the girls hair caught in mid air!

Steps, great contrast with the old style clothing and the bright red dress/ shoes. What was the occasion here?

Mono, SCARY!

Connection. What is that? The slightly OOF thing bottom left I'd a little off putting, I would be tempted to crop that corner out.

Beginning, I quite like the red, white and blue thing, the colours are perfectly apt for a coronation. The blurring of your name is a little off putting but I understand why you did it.

Still, awwwwww what a cutie pie, great shot from a proud grandad :)

Whimsical, I don't mind you cheating a little bit because it's a brilliant shot. I think the gulls looking over the top make it for me : clap:

I'm going to post this now before my phone has a melt down!
Curve, an unusual object fit the theme but it fits (pun intended) the bill perfectly. Nice composition and lighting.

Power, I agree that the subject matter is a good choice for the theme but the steam doesn't work for me. It looks more like something is in the way, like a window, rather than the steam. I think a wider shot would capture it better but might lose something in the composition.

Solitude, brilliant, great subject and composition. Shame about the water bottle behind him. Love the dog too : thumbs:

Phew, all caught up again!

Thanks for the detailed comments Marsha. I am pleased to see that you approve of the shots that I like best (speed, whimsical, solitude)

I can't stop looking at the two men in the check shorts and khaki shorts... if only their shoes matched it would look like a multiple exposure!

Cheers Brian. I was so intent on getting the main shot, I missed the similarity between the 2 shorts - wearers:)

Hi Alan

Power I see what you mean about the steam it sort of looks like the light has flared a little
Solitude works really well the man on the left looks really confused :LOL:
Sweet great exposure and sharpness and the angle really makes it work, they do look tempting

Hey Alan :)

Apologies for not getting by recently *hangs head in shame*

Whimsical - I like the composition of the shot and the general Blue throughout the image, some very nice reflections going on there and as others like the seagull peering over the top :)

Curve - I REALLY like this one, I thought I had commented too... maybe it was flickr :thinking:

Anyhoooo moving on, Great lighting of the shoe, the finest detail stands out beautifully, I like the counter curve of the reflection and the 'horizon' surface that is low in the frame, great colour too - cant fault the shot :clap:

Power - Not so sure on this one... good idea but the steam looks more like a misted lens to me... sorry :)

Solitude - hahaaaaaa what a cheapskate... getting to sit down all day and read the paper, insane or pure genius :LOL:

Well caught shot with passers bye staring on !!!!

Sweet - Mmmmmmmm they look good enough to eat, liking the angle of the shot, good colours and also fine detail - Spot On (y)

Keep em coming mate :)

Ooo what are they? They're certainly appealing to my sweet tooth. I like the angle as well. Is that a hint of the plate showing in the background? I wonder if it would be better with either that removed or more plate visible? That's only a tiny thing though, as I'm more concerned with eating the subjects than their surrounds!

Hi Alan

Power I see what you mean about the steam it sort of looks like the light has flared a little
Solitude works really well the man on the left looks really confused :LOL:
Sweet great exposure and sharpness and the angle really makes it work, they do look tempting

Thanks Allan.
Hey Alan :)

Apologies for not getting by recently *hangs head in shame*

Whimsical - I like the composition of the shot and the general Blue throughout the image, some very nice reflections going on there and as others like the seagull peering over the top :)

Curve - I REALLY like this one, I thought I had commented too... maybe it was flickr :thinking:

Anyhoooo moving on, Great lighting of the shoe, the finest detail stands out beautifully, I like the counter curve of the reflection and the 'horizon' surface that is low in the frame, great colour too - cant fault the shot :clap:

Power - Not so sure on this one... good idea but the steam looks more like a misted lens to me... sorry :)

Solitude - hahaaaaaa what a cheapskate... getting to sit down all day and read the paper, insane or pure genius :LOL:

Well caught shot with passers bye staring on !!!!

Sweet - Mmmmmmmm they look good enough to eat, liking the angle of the shot, good colours and also fine detail - Spot On (y)

Keep em coming mate :)

Thanks for the mega catch up DK. It's good to be posting again.

Ooo what are they? They're certainly appealing to my sweet tooth. I like the angle as well. Is that a hint of the plate showing in the background? I wonder if it would be better with either that removed or more plate visible? That's only a tiny thing though, as I'm more concerned with eating the subjects than their surrounds!

Thanks Marsha - they are Turkish delights. You have got great spotting abilities. (and a good screen:)). Yes there is a bit of curve of plate at top left which I tried clumsily to clone away - but I thought that i had got away with it. :puke:

Week 40 - Cut

I have been impressed over the last 2 years as to the amount of help/use as props that people get from family members. I have seen various shots of husbands running, children posing, rings and nail varnish on hands, people in hospital, people on trains and children in suitcases :eek: We should all give grateful thanks to those who give of themselves so unselfishly.

Mrs SP has helped enormously with ideas, inspiration and trips to odd places. But for Cut she managed to surpass herself. Whilst carrying bags of shopping and rushing for an early train home from work she managed to find one of the thousands (millions?) of poorly maintained pavements that we have in this country in Manchester City Centre and chucked herself on the ground .. Now lying on the ground in Manchester at 4pm is not unusual but usually for other reasons.

Anyway, a 50 mile drive from home to Manchester Royal A&E to fetch her revealed a cracked bone in left arm, grazed knees, bruised chin and - RESULT- a cut over her eye. It was even in the correct week! Got the shot but in my excitement, camera shake and poor settings ended with it not being too good - but it must be worth a post :D

DSC_0083
by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

That was 4 weeks ago and recovery is going OK but the shutter finger has been busy with meals and ironing and making beds and so have only just had chance to get an alternative.

This is a metal sculpture marking the ships wrecked on the Fylde coast since 1643 with the names and dates cut out from the metal.

DSC_5520 - Copy - Copy
by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Last edited:
:eek: a few to catch up on....... Firstly best wishes to your good lady. and ouch!

So Power would have been you doing the ironing as well as the shooting... agree the steam doesn;t quite come through - looks more like the window lighting coming through strongly, but I likes it, and the little blue light too.

Solitude is a great spot too - Everyone else seems to find these living statues... maybe I don;t go to enough big cities. The pose and expression of the chap to the left is what makes the shot!

Sweet - lovely arrangement of colourful sweets, nice and bright and all looking just as I imagine it should - if not better! I see no plate in the BG? mmmmmm.

Think the first cut might not work as well being sharp throughout. :thinking:

And the ship memorial(?) is really striking, both poignant and soothing at the same time with the fading sunset. Was going to say well exposed but I imagine you just need to expose for the sky, and the sculpture takes care of itself here.

Thanks Graham

Mrs SP doing OK - fracture clinic tomorrow for progress report
That steam iron shot is going to get another go when i have time - I'm sure that there is something there.
Good point about the first cut shot - you may be right.
Also the cut ship's names did take care of themselves. Could have brought up the shadows which would have illustrated the rusty patina of the metal but preferred the silhouette approach.

Hi Alan
I do like the second cut image, I think you were right to stick with the silhouette.
great colour in the sky (y)

Hi Alan

Nice clear shot of the radio, no idea how you would get rid of the reflection

Reflection is excellent, works really well :clap: nice muted colours too.

radio is nice and clear and super detailed (even in the full res version), polariser could probably have taken away the reflection - but tbh I wouldn;t have noticed if you hadn't said anything!

reflection is cool, one of those shots that leaves you scratching your head to work out whats actually where.. and whether it's been flipped upside down or not??? :thinking:

(Quick) Catch up time.....

Power, not easy but I'm not seeing Power. Pity you coudn't get the jets of steam.

Solitude, would but the guy on tht really sets it of. Well captured.

Sweet, good lighting, detail and the colirseay work for me.

Cut, now that's dedication to the cause :) On themebut focus is off. Guess you only had one change.

Cut #2, I'm sure I've see this. Good composition and detail. Loks to be slight halo on the inner side of the ring??

Live, on theme but not your best as it appears grab shot and I'm sure it wasn't.

Reflection, good detail and it has a solutude feeling to it. IMO bit too much room at the top and a bit tight at thbottom.

Go show.

Cheers.

Hi Alan

Nice clear shot of the radio, no idea how you would get rid of the reflection

Reflection is excellent, works really well :clap: nice muted colours too.

Thanks Allan. The reflection shot is, quite coincidentally, a similar shot to your pylon in that it is flipped 180 degrees and saturated a little. Quite effective as a puzzler I feel.

Hey Alan.

Im loving the radio shot. Great lighting colours, clarity. Perfect for me. Just needs a tiny tweak as the right hand vertical is slightly off. Great shot though.

Point taken about verticality. Problem I had is that in trying to make the RHS vertical, the numbers and buttons became not horizontal. Had to make a choice and this was the least distracting i thought. Probably did not have the camera spot on parallel to the plane of the radio.

radio is nice and clear and super detailed (even in the full res version), polariser could probably have taken away the reflection - but tbh I wouldn;t have noticed if you hadn't said anything!

reflection is cool, one of those shots that leaves you scratching your head to work out whats actually where.. and whether it's been flipped upside down or not??? :thinking:

Cheers Graham. Explanation of reflection above. It looked quite ordinary in its original state.

Back