Vdubster's Photo52 for 2011 Week 42 - Weave added!!! (Index in 1st post)

Hiya James,

Well done with your catch up I like all the pics including the edit of the windmill (I wasn't sure about the first you posted).

All are right on theme (y)

Good to see you are back on track now.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Weird - nice spot and fits the theme - very out of the orinary...shame about the guy under the sign though :(

Wind - prefer the version without the effects - good angles

Evolution - simple clean effetive image...

Record - nice contrast and perfectly theme fitting - bottom of the curve to my eyes looks ever so slightly off level...

Weird, some people are just strange....but, it takes all types. Just the BG distracts for me, shallower DOF maybe and shadow to the left distracts.

Wind, PP spoils it for me. Cropped a tad close and the tree to the left could do with cloning out. NB: just seen your repost, much better.

Evolution, nice, simple take on the theme. I like the bg.

Record, again, nice and simple. The sky+ HD seem OOF?

Cheers and nice catch up...

Weird, some people are just strange....but, it takes all types. Just the BG distracts for me, shallower DOF maybe and shadow to the left distracts.

Wind, PP spoils it for me. Cropped a tad close and the tree to the left could do with cloning out. NB: just seen your repost, much better.

Hiya James, nice catch up there. Your 2nd post of the windmill is much better.

[s1]Me too!
;)
[/s1]

some birthday card that is!!

much prefer the unprocessed windmill, great angle to my eye

best of luck with job hunting, not surprised you are a bit distracted from taking pics

Hiya James,

Well done with your catch up I like all the pics including the edit of the windmill (I wasn't sure about the first you posted).

All are right on theme (y)

Good to see you are back on track now.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn,

I have to say i like the first Wind version i posted, lol. Not everyone cup of tea and that why i posted the edit. And it's nice to be back.

Weird - nice spot and fits the theme - very out of the orinary...shame about the guy under the sign though :(

Wind - prefer the version without the effects - good angles

Evolution - simple clean effetive image...

Record - nice contrast and perfectly theme fitting - bottom of the curve to my eyes looks ever so slightly off level...

Thanks, I agree on all comments :) (Although I like the first Wind picture)

Thanks

Hiya James, nice catch up there. Your 2nd post of the windmill is much better.

[s1]Me too!
;)
[/s1]

[s4]Me three! (y)[/s4]

some birthday card that is!!

much prefer the unprocessed windmill, great angle to my eye

best of luck with job hunting, not surprised you are a bit distracted from taking pics

Thanks

It's all been said I think.
Non PP windmill is the better one.

Hope all goes well with the job search

Thanks, I still like the first Windmill, lol.

And job hunting is going well, had an interview yesterday which went well i thought, so hopefully i'll be in a job again soon.

James

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comment 52 and otherwise.

Here's Week 34 - (Bloody Road)Work(s), lol

Week 34 - Work by j.fordham, on Flickr

And week 35 - Blur.

Taken with my Welding Glass ND filter, first time using it so i can see i need to improve a few things. but overall happy with the results for only £3 :)

Week 35 - Blur by j.fordham, on Flickr

(Colour version)

blur2 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Thanks

James

Hi James the road works photo looks really good. Nice composition and great colour. The blur shots look really good. I am viewing on my phone atm so will have a proper look later. I like both versions. What were the exposure times and did you have to do much with the white balance?

Thanks

Exposure time for the Blur shots where 10sec and as for white balance this was a 5sec shot with no adjustments

WeldingND by j.fordham, on Flickr

I then selected this shot as the custom white balance and then reshot.

James

Great blur shot! Nice composition. I prefer the colour version.

Where is the filter from? :)

Thank you, i also prefer the colour one :)

The filter is made from a 4" x 3" Replacement Welding Lens and a 58mm to 62mm step up ring (This filter will only fit my kit lens) but you can get whatever stepping ring you want. I then used duck tape to attached the two together. :)

J

Hi James,

The road works shot hits the theme, but I'd rather something was done to it so it stops looking like a snap shot of some road works. Changing th eDOF, selective colour perhaps, or maybe a far out PP filter to give it some excitment.

The blur shot is good, colour is my fav.
Nice lead in line and colours.

I've been meaning to pic up a welding glass.
Where did you get yours?
Is the colour shot out of camera or did you have to change the colour/ WB?

Hi James,

The road works shot hits the theme, but I'd rather something was done to it so it stops looking like a snap shot of some road works. Changing th eDOF, selective colour perhaps, or maybe a far out PP filter to give it some excitment.

The blur shot is good, colour is my fav.
Nice lead in line and colours.

I've been meaning to pic up a welding glass.
Where did you get yours?
Is the colour shot out of camera or did you have to change the colour/ WB?

Thanks for the comments, had a play with the Work shot and as i liked the PP of my Wind shot i applied the same and again i like it, other might not but there you go. :)

Week 34 - Work(PP) by j.fordham, on Flickr

I just like the sort grown up cartoon feel it gives it "Sin City" maybe?

Anyway Welding glass got mine from ebay this item I got the shade 10 and then just a stepping ring and a bit of duck tape, job done.

James

Thanks for the comments, had a play with the Work shot and as i liked the PP of my Wind shot i applied the same and again i like it, other might not but there you go. :)

Week 34 - Work(PP) by j.fordham, on Flickr

I just like the sort grown up cartoon feel it gives it "Sin City" maybe?

Anyway Welding glass got mine from ebay this item I got the shade 10 and then just a stepping ring and a bit of duck tape, job done.

James

The PP gives it more interest, and it is an interesting process.
I think it works better on this image than the windmill.

Thanks for the link.
How many stops would you say the shade 10 dropped the exposure by?

Hi James,

Have to say I prefer the colour version of the blur photo, well done!

I'm not so keen on the processing of the 'work' photo and prefer the original shot.

Cheers

Liked both work and blur... but preffered the shots out the camera rather than all the PP!

M

HI James

apologies for missing so many of your posts:crying:

In no particular oder...
Love your final edit on Celebrate...incredibly sharp & great colors (y)

Beautiful windmill for Wind..prefer the non pp version & love the angle (y)

Blur....normally I prefer B&W versions of this type of shot but for some reason I prefer your color version , great low angle , lovely ble sky fading to the see & great milky water's edge....lovely work :clap:

Work....nice capture ,the clipped 1st cone bugs my OCD & though not sure why , I like the pp'd verison ,def gives it more interest(y)

Record....nice simple shot & well taken (y)

The PP gives it more interest, and it is an interesting process.
I think it works better on this image than the windmill.

Thanks for the link.
How many stops would you say the shade 10 dropped the exposure by?

Hi James,

Have to say I prefer the colour version of the blur photo, well done!

I'm not so keen on the processing of the 'work' photo and prefer the original shot.

Cheers

Hi James, just got round to looking at these on my laptop. They look really good. Both versions work well for me. The cartoon style processing works well with the roadwork scene.

Liked both work and blur... but preffered the shots out the camera rather than all the PP!

M

HI James

apologies for missing so many of your posts:crying:

In no particular oder...
Love your final edit on Celebrate...incredibly sharp & great colors (y)

Beautiful windmill for Wind..prefer the non pp version & love the angle (y)

Blur....normally I prefer B&W versions of this type of shot but for some reason I prefer your color version , great low angle , lovely ble sky fading to the see & great milky water's edge....lovely work :clap:

Work....nice capture ,the clipped 1st cone bugs my OCD & though not sure why , I like the pp'd verison ,def gives it more interest(y)

Record....nice simple shot & well taken (y)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Right before i get into it i will just say that the whole point of the Project 52 for me is about learning, that includes pre-shot, post-shot, PP and all the other things. Which is why i tend not to retake shots unless it's a reshoot theme that get's picked.

With that out of the way on to this week, which i no the background let's down and it only dawned on me when i'd taken the shot and had cleared away all the equipment :-(. However i am happy with how it turned out and how the technique i used worked out. Which was to set a 2 second shutter speed with small aperture. Then i used my flash to capture the splash and freeze time.

So here it is, Week 36 - Time

Time by j.fordham, on Flickr

Last edited:
All I can say is great first attempt... must try something like this myself sometime!

You have already said about the background... and i'd say maybe a shallower angle or even at top of glass level....

But great planning and execution!

Well done!

M

All I can say is great first attempt... must try something like this myself sometime!

You have already said about the background... and i'd say maybe a shallower angle or even at top of glass level....

But great planning and execution!

Well done!

M

Thanks, I didn't have a lot of room (i had to do this in my bathroom, with blacked out windows, lol) so the background was an after thought.

Yes i think a different angle could offer something too. It took a few shots to get the splash (the sugar cube either missed the glass or i didn't flash at the right time) but i'm happy :)

James

Well caught, James. The timing is almost perfect. As you said not the most brilliant shot but never the less the thought process, the setting up and other restrictions make the result worth while.

I like it :clap:

Thanks, i enjoyed the more challenging aspect of this. Getting the set up right and remember to fire the flash :)

Nice one James, great timing.

Thanks

Good timing, nice colours, how many attempts?

Thanks, all together i think it was about 30 attempts which might not be that many really.

James

I've not tried this myself.
Can you explain why the shutter time had to be 2 seconds?
It only appears to have captured the scene from the flash, so why not sync the flash and shutter speed?

Other than that, it looks a nice crisp shot.
As it's you trying a new technique, I don't see that the background is an issue, you've shot for practice, not for asthetics!

I've not tried this myself.
Can you explain why the shutter time had to be 2 seconds?
It only appears to have captured the scene from the flash, so why not sync the flash and shutter speed?

Other than that, it looks a nice crisp shot.
As it's you trying a new technique, I don't see that the background is an issue, you've shot for practice, not for asthetics!

Hi,

I have to confess i didn't just decide on a 2sec shutter speed for the fun of it, i've started watching the DigitalRev TV vids on youtube (So bloody funny some of them) and i sore this technique used so thought i'd give it a go.

Here the video

[YOUTUBE]x43yftnFBBw[/YOUTUBE]

Kai Wong, explains the reason for the shutter speed and has some fun while he's at it, lol.

James

Great shot, and cheers for the vid - some of the DigitalRev vids are hillarious!

Deffo something I'm going to try out soon.

Well done for time. I'd like to see much closer to the splash and/or ice cube.

I've done a few but not with flash....might have to try.

Cheers.

Hi James:wave:

Brilliant shot for Time...dead envious as I can't get the hang of this type of shot :bang:

Great timing , everything sharp & you've caught the little droplets as well . Background doesn't bother me...super shot :clap::clap:

Great shot, and cheers for the vid - some of the DigitalRev vids are hillarious!

Deffo something I'm going to try out soon.

Yeah they aren't they , :LOL:

Well done for time. I'd like to see much closer to the splash and/or ice cube.

I've done a few but not with flash....might have to try.

Cheers.

Why an Ice cube?

OK... from the video.... how do you manage to drop the thing... get the flash to fire and press the shutter release on the camera... or am I just being thick?

Well firstly get an assistant, lol.

Then I fire the shutter (2sec remember) then I ask my helper to drop the item, its then down to luck with the flash. Like I said it took me 30 odd goes before I got my shot.

Have fun :)

Back