2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

A true TP household over here LOL- Sarah's on the Southern Comfort and I'm on the JD (I blame Posiview for mentioning it one or two times in this thread :p).

Well, its official.......I'm sorry to say I've lost interest :oops: :$ :(.......I dare say I'm not the first......and certainly won't be the last, but I take no pleasure from that!

I have had some very kind words, great comments and some very helpful crit over the last 10 months on my thread and I'd like to say a big thank you for that :)

I'm not leaving the TP52.......I'm determined to see it through to the end, but felt an explanation was needed.

I sincerely hope that I can find the inspiration I had back in early 2014, (I know I've only a few weeks left) for the themes but especially for the crit and commenting on threads of fellow TP'ers that are still in ( a big well done for all still here :clap:) :)

So please take this as a big apology for me not doing my bit.... and again, a big thank you for the replies I've received for which I don't necessarily think I deserve :oops: :$

atb, Phil :)

Well Phil, if you're not leaving the TP52 and you're determined to see it through to the end, then you are doing your bit. As far as I'm concerned ... it's about posting meaningful pictures.

Some are better than others at "crit", some seem determined to comment on absolutely every pic. I don't have the time, qualification or inclination to do that.

You are definitely not the first to lose interest, I think about 50% of those that started the challenge in January have gone! And I don't think it's was the picture posting activity that caused them to go. I may be wrong. What do others think?

Well, its official.......I'm sorry to say I've lost interest :oops: :$ :(.......I dare say I'm not the first......and certainly won't be the last, but I take no pleasure from that!

I have had some very kind words, great comments and some very helpful crit over the last 10 months on my thread and I'd like to say a big thank you for that :)

I'm not leaving the TP52.......I'm determined to see it through to the end, but felt an explanation was needed.

I sincerely hope that I can find the inspiration I had back in early 2014, (I know I've only a few weeks left) for the themes but especially for the crit and commenting on threads of fellow TP'ers that are still in ( a big well done for all still here :clap:) :)

So please take this as a big apology for me not doing my bit.... and again, a big thank you for the replies I've received for which I don't necessarily think I deserve :oops: :$

atb, Phil :)

Sorry to hear that Phil but I (and I'm sure all others) understand... it's difficult to fit it in sometimes. I had a hectic morning work-wise then some quiet time so took the camera out and managed to rattle off a few shots. I'm lucky that I can sometimes find time to do that, which doesn't eat into "family time" or other commitments - I know not everyone can.

The one thing which keeps pulling me back is the drive to use my camera. My body was cheap(ish) and apart from one nice lens, I don't have particularly fancy glass, so the entire lot (including 6 lenses) was probably sub £1000 or thereabouts... so we're not talking crazy investment, but I still want to get my money's worth! So things like this work for me in that regard... if I'm not taking pics of the kids (or hills etc.) then mucking around with this week's theme shot is a good way for me to put the camera to use.

If I didn't do this, I suspect I'd go for weeks at a time without using the camera. Which would be a shame as my photographic skills wouldn't be improving in that time and my "investment" would be sitting there idle.

Is the sales pitch working? ;)

Well Phil, if you're not leaving the TP52 and you're determined to see it through to the end, then you are doing your bit. As far as I'm concerned ... it's about posting meaningful pictures.

Some are better than others at "crit", some seem determined to comment on absolutely every pic. I don't have the time, qualification or inclination to do that.

You are definitely not the first to lose interest, I think about 50% of those that started the challenge in January have gone! And I don't think it's was the picture posting activity that caused them to go. I may be wrong. What do others think?

I don't know why others have left, to be honest, but I do suspect it's just a value judgement based on the time available and what we want to do with that (probably quite limited) time.

Ironically, as more people leave, crit is easier and quicker, which means I can spend a bit more time on each photo. I can only imagine what it must have been like trying to keep up with photos at the beginning with dozens of people posting most days... it's definitely easier now.

I enjoy the crit (giving it) as much as having comments from others on my photos. But we're all different and the thing about this challenge (or others) is that it's for each of us to decide what we want to get out of it. There's nothing stopping someone from deciding to drop the weekly idea and just pick one out of 2 or even 3 or 4 weeks to keep something going. There are no rules...

I too have lost heart in it and feel that I'm only taking my camera out to grab a quick pic and shoehorn it in "just for the sake of posting"...

As some of you know I have started a course through work which seems to eat up my spare time. Time I had to take pics etc... with a family and a job that involves shift work I am sadly going to bow out for this year...
When the course finishes next June I will no doubt expect to take part the following year...
I haven't commented as much either recently and for that I also apologise...

I extend my best wishes to those who are still there and sticking with it... I have fallen behind by 3 weeks I think and just cant seem to motivate myself to take anything of meaning and that for me has confirmed my decision to back out at this stage...
Thanks to everyone who very kindly commented on any of my stuff... I'll hopefully find time in the future to lend some crit to your future images...

I can only agree have lost interest myself, my last couple of pictures have just been lazy in their execution, (I hate lego pics) some might say the previous 44 have been too :p

I started this because I enjoyed it, I don't need it to make me pick up a camera I do anyway, it just feels to me like almost everyone has lost interest you only have to look at the 12 and 365 what happened there?

I will finish and will comment on others but I don't think I will bother next year, the spirit of the last couple of years seems to have disappeared :(

Sorry to hear that from you all - Alan, Colin and Allan...

Do you think the format needs to be shaken up then for next year? I can't really comment as this is my first year of doing it but those of you who've been going at it for a while... has it become to tired a format now?

Any thoughts as to what would reinvigorate it for you?

Cripes, this all sounds a bit gloomy... And a lot of comments also mirroring my own thoughts...

I've had a few downs and ups (regards the challenge), myself through the year... It's inevitable over the course of 10 months that not every theme will suit your activities that week, there's no shame in playing a joker to get you past a theme if you need to.

I wasn't going to do this again this year.. But I am glad I have, and with only 9 or so weeks till the end I'm pretty certain I'll have some sort of shot for each week. But I very much doubt I'll be here next year.

Grow I'm not having much luck with and live cropped up in last year's so my one idea for that theme has been exhausted there already. :(

The good points are undoubtedly the feedback and critique on one's photographs, as well as advice on things you can't get right. Bad points are having to make the effort to take a photo you have no interest in taking and will never look at again after the week has passed.

May I interject here as someone who had done the 52 for a few years but obviously quit halfway through this year?
I don't think the format needs shaking up necessarily, it's quite a simple concept that essentially works.
There will always be those who contribute commentary more than others for various reasons. It is time consuming at the start of the year when so many are involved getting easier as numbers dwindle but this for me took its toll on my enthusiasm.
I quit as I felt that the 52 had run its course for me, I wanted to take my photography in a different direction and felt a little 'bogged' down in the themes.
I felt the 52 and other participants deserved more attention than I had the enthusiasm to give.
It's only fair to reciprocate comments on my images, that is after all the spirit of the 52.
I am sure it will continue, I think it's a fantastic little project just needs a little injection of new blood perhaps in the new year when it starts all over again.

I agree I don't think there is anything wrong with the format, well except for the repetitive themes but that only applies if you have done the challenge before,
there has been a lack of feedback particularly in the last couple of months, for whatever reason.

As Iain says above I think its just ran it's course for me also

I am sure it will continue, I think it's a fantastic little project just needs a little injection of new blood perhaps in the new year when it starts all over again.

I do hope so ...

Throughout the year, on a number of occasions, I've said to myself .. I'll stick it out till the end of 2014, but don't know about 2015.

My photography has improved, I think, over the past 44 weeks. I've recently spent good money on a new camera, and my enthusiasm is at an all time high.

there has been a lack of feedback particularly in the last couple of months, for whatever reason.

Too much feedback for the sake of feedback IMO.

Things here on 52s would flow more smoothly without the obligatory feedback and associated apologies.

Oh dear, what have I started
shakehead.gif
:angelic: .................I've got to admit its not about using mi camera, I do that every week and enjoy it. As for the themes, some weeks are certainly easier than others. I'm up to date with mi images and have an idea for this week, even if it is a little obvious :rolleyes:

Funny, 'cause at the beginning when there were loads of us, I found commenting fairly easy, giving a bit of crit or an opinion, I quite liked. As mi time got more limited I started to struggle but did hope that as the summer left, the dark knights...opps...nights :D drew in, I'd get the enthusiasm back, I've certainly got the time back.......but the enthusiasm just hasn't happened
shrug2.gif

The problem being for me is, the more comments I received and the less I did, made me start to feel a little guilty and I do believe, like David @d00d said, it could certainly be a contributing factor as to why people do drop out.

@d00d again :D

David, I think this is spot on (y)

Things here on 52s would flow more smoothly without the obligatory feedback and associated apologies.

..........as for next year.........:thinking:.....who knows

I have had an idea of doing my own '52 but with one subject, shot in as many locations as possible.......but it wouldn't be to every ones taste :)

I can't really speak for earlier in the year, but I think those of us who are left and keen to keep it up are a bit compelled to comment on as much as we can... it's certainly not something I mind (as a newbie) but I understand why others might feel it a bit of a drag especially if they're into their fourth TP52.

I have a policy right now of commenting on every photo that someone posts (assuming they've actually given me a comment since the start). That does sometimes mean my comments are briefer than I'd like, but it averages out and usually when there's something really worth commenting on (not necessarily because it's brilliant - sometimes quite the opposite) I do think it attracts a good amount of useful crit.

Certainly it's not something I'd want to advocate at the beginning... I think then it would have to be a bit more about dropping in and out and perhaps leaving 5-10 comments on those photos about which you really have something to say. I guess at that point of proceedings, getting 30 comments all saying "nice" is worse than useless... far better to get 5 more detailed crits and silence from people who are busy giving others feedback. It will average out, I'm sure.

Perhaps there is a natural "graduation" of this challenge where after a few years (especially with repetitions) it's just time to move to something new. As @Phil-D has suggested, there are plenty of other ideas out there and perhaps TP needs a few more concepts for people to pick and choose from?

I'm certainly looking forward to doing another TP52 next year - I feel starting late this year (even though I've nearly caught up) has not given me a proper run at it and I feel my photography has really come on since January. So I'm looking forward to starting next year's with a better understanding of what I enjoy shooting (and have a bit of a predisposition for) and perhaps focus every other week on areas of photography outside of those comfort zones. I might make even weeks "no macro, no product, no kids" weeks... might be tough to find something to shoot though!

The great thing about the TP52 is that all of us in it are doing the same thing. Going out on your own is great, but it lacks a bit of the support and camaraderie that "group" challenges seem to instill.

Good luck to everyone no matter what and let's see how many of us can stick it out till the end of the year. Fewer than 10 shots remaining... it can't be that much of a struggle, surely???

Did someone mention TP2015 :)

@Phil-D sorry you've lost a little interest. I've lost interest severe times, we all have dips, some deeper than others.

I've decided next year to only comment on one of each members monthly submissions, the one I feel is the best so I can comment in far more detail. I've also decided that if others fail to comment on my submissions I won't be commenting on theirs. Quid pro quo and all that.

One thing for sure, if you're still here and you finish this or any other year you done really well.

Cheers.

Then please explain I am interested on how you see it flowing

Then please explain I am interested on how you see it flowing

Morning Allan,

I know you've quoted David above, but seeing as I agree with his post I thought I'd put my explanation to it.

I've nearly dropped out a couple of times, not because I'm behind with themes, but because I've really struggled to find something constructive to say.

Ok, I could just post 'great shot' on every ones thread, I don't want to do that, although most are.

Add that to the pressure that's put on us to post, it becomes hard work, when really its something that should be enjoyed.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've logged on to post............then logged off without doing so :banghead:

I have never posted on anyone's '52 and expected a return post.......I've posted because I wanted to. There's been quite a bit of 'tit for tat' mentioned when I don't feel it should apply.

So in answer to your question, take away the pressure to post, don't feel if some one posts on yours, you must post on theirs, post on images you feel you have something that might help or be constuctive and maybe more would stay in, who knows, but I presume that's the point David was trying to make :)

Last edited:
That makes sense, @Phil-D ... although we all clearly take slightly different things from the current challenge.

For me, it's my rules and my own challenge: which means there's as much pressure on me to post as I put on myself. I started off wanting to keep "within the week" and posting everything on time. As work has become busier and busier that hasn't always been possible. To be honest, I think taking a more relaxed approach to posting now suits me better: I'm doing the challenge for selfish reasons so I can decide how I'm going to use it to suit me.

Likewise, I don't post on others' because of an expected reciprocation, but I have stopped posting on people's threads who have never posted a single comment on mine. I think after having 40-odd pictures that's not unreasonable :) The last thing I'd expect is someone to post feedback for my photo just because I've commented on theirs - it's not 500px after all! Again, from a purely selfish perspective, I feel that my own photographic eye has improved massively over the last 6-8 months mostly because of group critique (including my own, but especially reading that of others) on photos I'm looking at. I genuinely get as much from commenting and reading others' comments on photos which aren't mine as I do getting the same for photos I've taken.

We're all (mostly!) busy people and the only thing which grates a bit with me are people who only really post photos and don't bother with comments, unless they've been clear from the outset they won't have time and don't expect any comments on their own. I'm not talking about occasional periods when we're really busy and won't be dropping in for a bit, but those who just don't seem to want to participate... in which case, what's the point of joining the challenge? The reason it frustrates me is that taking time to comment does just that: so if I'm commenting repeatedly on someone who's never going to do likewise (on others' and mine) then I'd be far better of spending that time writing a bit more on someone else's photos. It's not "tit for tat" as such, it's far more than persistent non-commenters are taking up everone's time which I think could be better used focusing on helping people who are really joining in with the spirit of the challenge more.

Everyone who's posting recently on this thread can rest easy because all of us are "good commenters" in my eyes: I know quite a few have struggled to post either photos or comments over recent months, but the point is you have done when you've had a chance either recently or earlier in the year... we can't ask for more than that, so everyone here really should give themselves a pat on the back.

Morning Allan,

I know you've quoted David above, but seeing as I agree with his post I thought I'd put my explanation to it.

I've nearly dropped out a couple of times, not because I'm behind with themes, but because I've really struggled to find something constructive to say.

Ok, I could just post 'great shot' on every ones thread, I don't want to do that, although most are.

Add that to the pressure that's put on us to post, it becomes hard work, when really its something that should be enjoyed.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've logged on to post............then logged off without doing so :banghead:

I have never posted on anyone's '52 and expected a return post.......I've posted because I wanted to. There's been quite a bit of 'tit for tat' mentioned when I don't feel it should apply.

So in answer to your question, take away the pressure to post, don't feel if some one posts on yours, you must post on theirs, post on images you feel you have something that might help or be constuctive and maybe more would stay in, who knows, but I presume that's the point David was trying to make :)

I wish I had written that. :agree:

Just saw the link to here on Phil's thread ... I do feel a bit sad that so many seem disheartened, but then this is my first year and it's all new to me, I absolutely love the challenge ...it makes me constantly think of something new to create to photograph. I do hope there is still one next year, and I will really miss those above who have said they won't be joining in.

I do tend to think though if you really don't want to do it, then stop ... life is far to short to spend your time doing something that you really aren't interested in.

Regarding comments ...I've always felt mine are a bit 'lightweight' due to my lack of technical knowledge but I do try to comment on most posts when I can, I feel it's only right after someone had gone to the trouble of posting an image on a thread such as the 52's which does only really flourish well if we act as a community. I appreciate that not everyone can comment on every post every single week, but I do agree with Paul that those who never ever comment do seem to have not quite entered into the spirit of the challenge.

I do hope everyone can lift themselves up for these last few weeks ... keep at it ...we are almost there :)

Last edited:
I think @pjm1 has the right attitude, my point was not an attack on anyone, the challenge is as people see it, but as @susiejb says above it will only flourish if we act as a community

and thats all I am going to say on the matter

Some may have seen threads in the wider forum relating to critique on shots posted in the general forums, wanting more or better critique tailored to the individual posters circumstances.. And how hard it is to achieve there. But, that is exactly what the 52 is able to offer its participants. Comments and feedback from the same people over the course of a year, who get to know you and your kit / experience and capabilities.

But no-one (not many anyway) is going to be prepared to make what is quite a significant effort for no return. It should be remembered there are no rules for comments, but as with many things, you get out what you put in.

I do think that with only 8 weeks to go, and less than 20 participants still in it, if you've made it this far, it's not much of a push to get to the end. (I hope!).

There’s some good news and bad news ……..

Good news - Well I have to say I’m still hanging on in there….just.

Bad news - I’m 6 weeks (although with a reshoot added that’s 7) behind in posting images

Good news – I’ve already taken and edited 5 out of those 7. I just haven’t posted them onto my thread

Bad news – I’m 6 weeks behind in posting any feedback on other people’s threads.

I think it is that final comment that I’m really struggling with and probably stopping me from posting the images I’ve already got. I know there is no rule to say I have to comment on other people’s posts but I do feel that is a part of the 52 that is vital in it working. Looking at other people’s images and interpretations on the themes can be quite enlightening and inspirational at times as well. I also very much appreciate feedback on my images as well.

One of the reasons behind dropping the TPOTY after doing it for a year was the lack of feedback (and lack of timeliness of it as well). The TP52 community does feel exactly that – a community. Yes people come and go but that’s all part of it. There is life outside the 52 and sometimes it just gets in the way. After I lost my mother to cancer earlier this year I was very grateful to the support from the group and I suppose I was in the same boat as I am now in terms of being behind with commenting. Previously part of my approach to the 52 was to comment of every image. At the time somebody suggested that maybe I just pick it up from that week rather than go back. Somebody else suggested just commenting on those that comment on mine. I chose the latter. Part of me feels guilty about that but as has been said above – it is much better to spend a little more time on a grateful recipient than those that seem to be in it for the Facebook style number of likes.

I kind of pushed Sarah into doing the 52 this year (she did the same to me a couple of years ago) and was ok when she didn’t feel she had to continue because I was still in there. She had her reasons to stop participating and I understood them, as I understand all the others who have for their own reasons dropped out. However, I really miss having both of us in the same house pushing each other every week. Maybe this is another reason for struggling at times this year.

Two years ago another 52 “rule” of mine was to get the image taken and posted that week. This year I set off knowing that it wasn’t going to be possible and have felt that has been a positive change for me. Maybe I’m being too lax though LOL

I’m not sure any of the rules, guidelines and format need to change. I think like a few others that this year will be my last – for a while anyway. I do want to continue to week 52 though. Heck we’re almost there – Did anyone mention Christmas? :exit:

Anyway enough of my rambles here’s my approach for the final couple of months
  • Do a mega post of my catch up images
  • Catch up on those that have kindly taken time to comment on mine in the past
  • Keep on top of the feedback even if I haven’t posted for that week yet
  • Take and post more pictures until week 52 although continue at my own pace
Lastly, thank you for all your support through the year and in anticipation of any in the next couple of months.

Morning Allan,

Thanks Phil

Well I wished I'd kept quite now! :D

Anyway, I've given mi-sen a kick up the a*se and will definitely try harder :)

I'm all caught up with my thread now. Going to see it through to the end and really hope to finish on time. I did wonder for the final 2 maybe 3 weeks if they were pulled out together? It Would certainly help for finishing on time for me. Of course it doesnt have to happen like that. It was just a thought on this chaitic morning :D

Hi, all, well, I'm not one to moan, but the company I work for has had 550 staff members change jobs and/or locations. Me included. To say it's chaos is slightly overstating it, but I've not even thought about Live and I've had a headache for the last 4 weeks :confused:

Anyways, lots of sensible comments above. My maxim has always been quid pro quo. I've always tried to comment on everyone's submissions and I have to say weeks 1 - around week 20 are frekin' hard.

I comment to help improves member's photography and I think we have all improved technically, creatively and post proccessingly :)

Onwards and upwards, Week 1 of the 2015 TP52 starts in 9 weeks :exit:

Cheers all.

Back