weekly 2017 Bearair 52

Ah! that's an interesting interpretation Roger - very clever actually. The Whole of the tree's life history on display. :clap:

Thanks Carl, apparently it is also a whole history of the climate of Helford Passage for the last 50 odd years, to someone with the skill to read it!

Original take on the theme, like that a lot.

Mineral - great take on the theme, really liked looking at this image.

Whole - as a trainee tree surgeon I think this is a cracking image depicting the life of the tree. The colour of the stump really stands out and the composition is ok, I would of preferred it if the log bottom right of the screen wasn't covering part of the stump.

The water on your mineral pic is an amazing colour, almost looks like its full of milk. I think prefer the wide shot and the reflections are great. Only thing is the tree in the foreground is a little distracting but sometimes that can't be helped:)

Love the colours and all the rings on the slice of tree :)

Hi Roger.
Mineral - Definitely works for the theme, a good take on it. I wonder what difference using a CPL to remove the reflections in the water would make.
While - I like the warm lighting you've captured, and that's another clever take on the theme.

Hi Roger.
Mineral - Definitely works for the theme, a good take on it. I wonder what difference using a CPL to remove the reflections in the water would make.
While - I like the warm lighting you've captured, and that's another clever take on the theme.

Thanks Tim, really value your opinion.
Original take on the theme, like that a lot.

Again many thanks

Cracking take on theme Roger, very well thought of and taken too :)

Thanks Dave

Mineral - great take on the theme, really liked looking at this image.

Whole - as a trainee tree surgeon I think this is a cracking image depicting the life of the tree. The colour of the stump really stands out and the composition is ok, I would of preferred it if the log bottom right of the screen wasn't covering part of the stump.

Thank you Mandy, you can come down and practice on our wood at Helford Passage! Great job a tree surgeon, wish you success with the training, is that at the Westonbirt?

The water on your mineral pic is an amazing colour, almost looks like its full of milk. I think prefer the wide shot and the reflections are great. Only thing is the tree in the foreground is a little distracting but sometimes that can't be helped:)

Love the colours and all the rings on the slice of tree :)

Thank you Georgina, I intend to return soon to get the shot better.

Nice take on the theme Roger - lovely rich colours in the wood :)

Thanks Emja, soaked it in water to bring out the darker colours, I think it worked.

works for me, nice colour, nice idea. (y)

Thank you, much appreciate all the comments.

Structure, lovely focus on an old bike, nice lighting as I like it but a shame about the BG :)

Thanks Dave, do you think I should of upped the ISO and gone for a shallower DOF to give the background more blur?

Great piece of classic British machinery.
A Rapide perhaps? - Hard to make out, but it looks like a V twin.
Unlike Dave, I think there sufficiently shallow DoF to allow it to stand out from the background.

Great piece of classic British machinery.
A Rapide perhaps? - Hard to make out, but it looks like a V twin.
Unlike Dave, I think there sufficiently shallow DoF to allow it to stand out from the background.

Yes Tim, it is a Rapide worth about 40 grand now! I took the car in for a service and in the cafe they had a small but excellent bike collection, Scots,Triumphs even a Douglas. I intend to return with a tripod!

I sure like the detail in the Bike, and a nice choice for the theme, I like the unusual...

Thanks Dave, do you think I should of upped the ISO and gone for a shallower DOF to give the background more blur?

Yep that would have done it for me too :)

I sure like the detail in the Bike, and a nice choice for the theme, I like the unusual...

Yep that would have done it for me too :)

Thanks again, I really find these comments helpful in improving my photography.

The Lazy Mans Routine!
33203415172_7fc09b0d6a_b.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SA5bxo]The Lazy Mans Routine by Roger Hillman, on Flickr[/URL]

Love your structure photo, older bikes have so much more character than the newer ones and black and chrome always looks good.
Routine is interesting, but I am using a small tablet and cant work out what it is!

Lazy Mans Routine, like it and at least you have managed to get a shot in, look forward to seeing more :)

Thank you, as always your comments are much appreciated.

Love your structure photo, older bikes have so much more character than the newer ones and black and chrome always looks good.
Routine is interesting, but I am using a small tablet and cant work out what it is!

Thank you for your comments Clive, the Routine is taken from inside the car when you go through a car wash, I thought it contrasted with less lazy people who spend hours on their car doing it the proper way. I tried different speeds which gave different effects, but liked the bubbles in this! Little things please my little mind!:)

Oh, lol. Glad you explained to Clive what the image was of, I was wondering too.
It's a very interesting shot and now I understand what it is, it's not even a shoe horn !
Thanks I had a bit of a laugh with this shot, got some interesting pictures.

Routine is a great abstract IMHO, I really like it.
Thank you very much, it has made me think about what other day to day things look like when frozen with a high shutter speed.

I like your routine photo, great effect, suitably abstract.

I like the abstract nature of your routine picture I had thought of rain on a skylight (from the dry side).

I like your routine photo, great effect, suitably abstract.
Thank you, I want to do a bit more abstract.

I like the abstract nature of your routine picture I had thought of rain on a skylight (from the dry side).
You were very close with that, thanks for looking and commenting.

now i understand Routine, its abstract and a great chance for experimentation like u say.... (y)
Thank you sir, I am enjoying learning and experimenting.

That had me scratching my head for a while - a great idea. The bubbles are fascinating :)
Thank you for your comments, bubbles rock!:)

roger.... i'll jump right in and ask why so close? is it a veil or a snood, because a veil can be both attractive, seductive and alluring...however, this close, with this lighting? feels static, maybe its the direct eye contact, whereas a veil wearer would (to be attractive(ing)) be approachable from the side more, a sideways glance?

side note...looking at flickr, ur settings for it are scary. can u do a reshoot, do u have the time?

roger.... i'll jump right in and ask why so close? is it a veil or a snood, because a veil can be both attractive, seductive and alluring...however, this close, with this lighting? feels static, maybe its the direct eye contact, whereas a veil wearer would (to be attractive(ing)) be approachable from the side more, a sideways glance?

side note...looking at flickr, ur settings for it are scary. can u do a reshoot, do u have the time?

Honest answer, cause I'm crap at portraits! Will have another go taking on board your suggestions and with better lighting.:)

Ps really appreciate your honest critique, I really want to get better at photography.

Last edited:
Honest answer, cause I'm crap at portraits! Will have another go taking on board your suggestions and with better lighting.:)

Ps really appreciate your honest critique, I really want to get better at photography.

ur not the only one Roger, i suck because i lack consistency i feel, i'm rough, i use speedlights and whatever i can find.

type an image search into Bingle and see what comes up... LINK ... LINK ...wait for the screen to open at the images..and pls excuse the lady in the second link, i am focused on the head and veil, honestly. Is this something you could replicate? these are well light, back lit in 2nd. shadows and contrast. u don't have to have the arm across in 1st, as looks a bit nervous to me..

hope this helps. lighting is in the minds eye.

if u have an external flash it seriously ups the game, move it around etc, see where shadows go. else i use desk lamps, gives a crap orange yellow cast, but i just go mono and u don't see it.

btw..ur welcome, i could have said it was on theme as veils are atttractive, (just not on Mr Cobra) but as for getting better....ur on the right road with a 52, though i only found mine switched into 'turbo drive' when i did the 365... not to mention 'insane improbability drive' when i started doing the infamous 24's...(which to this day hasn't become a thing :thinking: )

btw..ur welcome, i could have said it was on theme as veils are atttractive, (just not on Mr Cobra) but as for getting better....ur on the right road with a 52, though i only found mine switched into 'turbo drive' when i did the 365... not to mention 'insane improbability drive' when i started doing the infamous 24's...(which to this day hasn't become a thing :thinking: )

Right gonna give it another go at the weekend, when you doing a 24, I followed your last one it was fun

Right gonna give it another go at the weekend, when you doing a 24, I followed your last one it was fun

tbh they are random... i'd like to think this weekend but i've got nothing lined up, WHICH is often brings out the best.. you sound like a willing vict...erm.. volunteer to give it a go then?

tbh they are random... i'd like to think this weekend but i've got nothing lined up, WHICH is often brings out the best.. you sound like a willing vict...erm.. volunteer to give it a go then?
Yeah I will give it a go, cant do this weekend, can do next.

Back