weekly 2017 Bearair 52

Wow, what a difference the processing makes!

I agree, the backstory is quite cool and it certainly adds to the processing effect you've achieved in the image.
Very Hammer House of Horror esq.
You wouldn't have got such eerie lighting effects during the night, so I think you good lady did you a favour making you shot during the day.

I'd seen your image a couple of times but didn't notice the bike in the first :runaway: ... it's making sense now. :D

Like the thinking behind the shot, interesting background story and brilliantly processed image.
Thank you, I enjoyed taking the shot and playing with the "wild" processing
Very eerie indeed, well processed Roger, the difference from the original shows the effort put in, like it :)
Much appreciate your comments
Wow, what a difference the processing makes!
Thank you.
I agree, the backstory is quite cool and it certainly adds to the processing effect you've achieved in the image.
Very Hammer House of Horror esq.
You wouldn't have got such eerie lighting effects during the night, so I think you good lady did you a favour making you shot during the day.
She is always right!
I'd seen your image a couple of times but didn't notice the bike in the first :runaway: ... it's making sense now. :D
I wanted to use my Jota but it is still too cold for getting her out!
Comfort - a good idea for the theme, the b&w suits the image as does the tight crop.

Hairy - thats a cracking image, lovely processing cant fault it at all.
Thank you,that is very kind of you and a great encouragement.

That's a really spooky shot for Hairy Roger and I like the writing (y). It certainly tells a story. Well done :clap:

Thank you, I still cannot make my mind up about the writing though.

Not been a good week, got home from a funeral of a close friend, only to rush to the hospital to say goodbye to another, heads been in a dark place this week, not sure my image really fits smooth but it is what you are getting!

Last edited:
So sad to hear that Roger .. must weigh heavily on your mind. You did well to get an image out in the circumstances. It figure looks very tactile and Smooth so spot on theme,

Sorry to hear that Roger...

Your photo is well composed, well lit, and fits the brief with the smooth looking figure on what looks like a velvet background. Nice low key photo.

Dark and intriguing, well done for getting something in given the circumstances

Sorry to hear your sad news Roger, I do like the smooth shot had to have a closer look then thought ah that`s what it is, well done for getting one in too.

So sad to hear that Roger .. must weigh heavily on your mind. You did well to get an image out in the circumstances. It figure looks very tactile and Smooth so spot on theme,

Sorry to hear that Roger...

Your photo is well composed, well lit, and fits the brief with the smooth looking figure on what looks like a velvet background. Nice low key photo.

:agree: With the above.

Dark and intriguing, well done for getting something in given the circumstances

Sounds like a very difficult week Roger ...your photo seems to fit the mood and the topic. Well done for getting one in.

I agree with all the comments above, sad news :(
Intriguing shot, glad you felt able to post it.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

That works fine for smooth to me, darkly smooth too, my only suggestion is a strong mono to get rid of the slightly distracting red patches, I really like the lighting :)

Sorry to hear about your friends, not good time :(

So very sorry to hear about your friends Roger.
The low key lighting on the shot accentuates the smooth curves well I think.

Sad news.

Fits for smooth.

Sympathies for the rough week.
Nice dark picture that probably matches your mood.
Good smooth image too.

Thanks folks, much appreciate your kind words, Dark Night, I will try a mono.

Last edited:
Is that a china clay pit somewhere near St Austell? If so kaolinite, good call, I think you are the first with clay minerals :geek:. Perhaps a tad tight on the top left but often we have little room for manoeuvre with these thing and it captures the scene well.

There's no doubting that is mineral water judging by the geography. Good thinking Roger. Spot on theme.

I think I visited somewhere near here a long time ago. I was amazed at how much silt was suspended in the 'clean' water.

I'm not sure I get the crop entirely. I understand why you wanted the spoil heap in there, but I just feel a little more lake would look better.

Bang on theme though and it takes me back to a happy memory 20 years ago so a big thumbs up from me.

... looks like photoshop job.

What I like about this that the water looks like that modern day building material, green glass. But if it's a man made reservoir the explains why.

I think o_O

Is that a china clay pit somewhere near St Austell? If so kaolinite, good call, I think you are the first with clay minerals :geek:. Perhaps a tad tight on the top left but often we have little room for manoeuvre with these thing and it captures the scene well.
Yes Chris, just by Roach. They are starting to reclaim some of the land but this is still a drainage pit.

There's no doubting that is mineral water judging by the geography. Good thinking Roger. Spot on theme.
Thanks, that is all just one big hole we have dug in the ground!

I think I visited somewhere near here a long time ago. I was amazed at how much silt was suspended in the 'clean' water.

I'm not sure I get the crop entirely. I understand why you wanted the spoil heap in there, but I just feel a little more lake would look better.

Bang on theme though and it takes me back to a happy memory 20 years ago so a big thumbs up from me.

I think you are right I should of used another picture that shows more of the lake and worried less about the spoil heap.

... looks like photoshop job.

What I like about this that the water looks like that modern day building material, green glass. But if it's a man made reservoir the explains why.

I think o_O

The colours are as close as I could get them, many different scfi tv shows have been filmed around there because of the weird landscape, it is much nicer now than twenty years ago!
The lake always look like glass because it is at the bottom of a hole (quarry) rather than in a valley, so wind hardly ever gets down there.

Nice shot Roger, lovely colours and lighting is good, like the little reflection too :)

Thanks Dave I want to go back there in the summer and sneak down to get some shots from the bottom, I reckon it will be worth it.

Last edited:
Great landscape photo, that water looks very minerally!

Lovely colour of the water, could you have got any closer/lower without it being dangerous. Was down near there a few years ago, had a whirlwind 3 day romp around.

Great photo, beautiful countryside.
In fairness to EEC they do seam to be putting some effort into the area.

Great landscape photo, that water looks very minerally!

Thanks aprieciate your comments

Hi Roger

I think the crop is a tad tight on the mountain peak and also on the water, which is a shame as just love the colour, what a great find too, a perfect subject, would love to see more of the cool reflection :)

Thamk you, hopefully I will learn to see the "picture better" as the year progresses.

I do like the wider shot - amazing colour on the water and so smooth :)
Defo agree the wider shot was better, but I am here to learn:)

Lovely colour of the water, could you have got any closer/lower without it being dangerous. Was down near there a few years ago, had a whirlwind 3 day romp around.
In the winter and the cold I do struggle with mobility. Would of been doggy to of gone any further for me, not for an able bodied person though. For the summer I spotted a route down for my XT500, that would be naughty though, so not even considering it honest!;)

Ah! that's an interesting interpretation Roger - very clever actually. The Whole of the tree's life history on display. :clap:

Back