weekly 2017 Bearair 52

Good alternative take on the theme.
Some thoughts on the shot itself though.
The verticals, certainly on the right hand side of the build are off.
Would it have been possible to not crop the car on the right? (though it does look like a deliberate crop for artistic reasons).
Having the policeman walk away from you works, as it emphasises that he is 'the law'.

Good alternative take on the theme.
Some thoughts on the shot itself though.
The verticals, certainly on the right hand side of the build are off.
Would it have been possible to not crop the car on the right? (though it does look like a deliberate crop for artistic reasons).
Having the policeman walk away from you works, as it emphasises that he is 'the law'.

Thanks, I will try to keep in mind about the verticals, any tips?
It was a deliberate crop on the car (when taking the shot), to of kept it in would of opened up an ugly bit on the left hand side, but to of moved would of taken out the sign.

Nice idea, pity you couldn't get him to face you :)

Cheers.

He wasn't pretty enough! And I had pushed my luck with him.

Thanks, I will try to keep in mind about the verticals, any tips?
I always have problems with verticals in camera, so the tools in photo raw really help getting something straight, and then if needed (for dodgy perspectives), the skew option in the transform tools.
It was a deliberate crop on the car (when taking the shot), to of kept it in would of opened up an ugly bit on the left hand side, but to of moved would of taken out the sign.
I guessed it was something like that.

I always have problems with verticals in camera, so the tools in photo raw really help getting something straight, and then if needed (for dodgy perspectives), the skew option in the transform tools.
I guessed it was something like that.
Thank you Tim, I have just been reading about vertical distortion, I don't as yet have access to processing that I can use to correct it, but that should be arriving early next week. So something for me to learn. At the moment I am concentrating on getting as much right in the camera as possible. Much appreciate the advice.
Roger

Really liking B&W just now. Nice tight crop and good detail. I'd have gone for frozen peas personally though [emoji14]

Last edited:
I take it its toothache depicted here, I like the thinking behind this, nice idea (y)

Really liking B&W just now. Nice tight crop and good detail. 9d have gone for frozen peas personally though [emoji14]

Thanks, never thought of frozen peas, but yes it would of been better.

I take it its toothache depicted here, I like the thinking behind this, nice idea (y)

Nah, just didn't duck quick enough!;) or maybe I shouldn't of said I didn't like her new shoes!

Very good, nice mono conversion, loads of character, good crop, well lit. I like it a lot.

I like there being a story to be imagined and that adds interest to the image. Like the b&w and the compo - well conceived.

The image as a whole tells a great story. The mono is nice; it really brings out the details.

I was going to say tooth ache or right hook, probably just a little wider dof to have more of the wild beard and the ice in focus. (y)

Great idea and bang on theme. And great self portrait.

Ooo I love stuff like this, interesting background story Roger (y)

Nicely processed image too :)

Ooo I love stuff like this, interesting background story Roger (y)

Nicely processed image too :)

Thank you Cobra, we had a great day out on Dartmoor yesterday visiting my good lady's dad, but she point blank refused to go back for a night shot, so I had a play with photogene!

Good composition and very effective bit of processing - dramatic and eerie.

I like Comfort a lot, and, as has been said above it tells a story. Nice b&w conversion with great detail.
Thank you, I shot it in black and white on remote, I thought Wifi on cameras was a gimmick but its great for selfies.

Very good, nice mono conversion, loads of character, good crop, well lit. I like it a lot.
Thanks, I am really enjoying exploring some of the things my new GX80 can do.

I like there being a story to be imagined and that adds interest to the image. Like the b&w and the compo - well conceived.
Thanks,I really like mono and my face suits it!

A good take on theme and goes well in mono, like it :)
Thanks Dave

Nice idea ... nice portrait. (y)
Thanks, my first selfie! I am getting with it!:banana:

The image as a whole tells a great story. The mono is nice; it really brings out the details.
By details you mean wrinkles!;)

Lol, I'd thought toothache too.
Tight crop works, as does Mono. (y)

Can't have toothache, that means dentists who are all evil!:(

I was going to say tooth ache or right hook, probably just a little wider dof to have more of the wild beard and the ice in focus. (y)
Do you mind, that is my neat trim look!:dummy:

I like Comfort a lot, and, as has been said above it tells a story. Nice b&w conversion with great detail.
Thank you another one being kind about the battered old face!;)

Great idea and bang on theme. And great self portrait.
I had fun doing this, at last a subject who does as he is told!

Good composition and very effective bit of processing - dramatic and eerie.

Thank you, I was worried I had gone to OTT but I liked the look and thought it would be something different.

Has a good back story, not keen on the writing but that's just personal, processing is interesting

Has a good back story, not keen on the writing but that's just personal, processing is interesting

Thanks Allan, I am not sure about the writing but I was looking for a sort of B movie horror film poster look.

Great processing on the hairy shot! Not too keen on the writing either.

processing works for me in a gothic/melodrama sort of way - I think the writing detracts from the motorcyclist (is he crazy speeding over THAT bridge?!), but as you say is reminiscent of a movie poster. I enjoyed the story :)

processing works for me in a gothic/melodrama sort of way - I think the writing detracts from the motorcyclist (is he crazy speeding over THAT bridge?!), but as you say is reminiscent of a movie poster. I enjoyed the story :)

Thank you, he was really taking it quite steady. here is the original shot, it is actually a really nice place on a lovely day.:)
Untitled by Riareab, on Flickr

Really like it, the murky moodiness of the shot and the motorbike just coming over the bridge :)

I was lucky to get a motorbike come along but gutted that I just missed a lotus 7, top down and a proper leather jacket and scarf. But 3/4 hour standing in a bog was enough for me.
ND filters next on my list of must get!

Last edited:
Back