weekly 2017 Bearair 52

roger.... i'll jump right in and ask why so close?

Interesting in that my first thought was it could do with being cropped closer. I think I would have cropped it Landscape with much less of the veil at the bottom, these sort of shots work for me when the eyes are the main focal point but with so much below them in this shot I feel it gets lost a bit. That's not to take away from Frank's suggestion which would work as well, just another way at looking at it.

Interesting in that my first thought was it could do with being cropped closer. I think I would have cropped it Landscape with much less of the veil at the bottom, these sort of shots work for me when the eyes are the main focal point but with so much below them in this shot I feel it gets lost a bit. That's not to take away from Frank's suggestion which would work as well, just another way at looking at it.

i feel roger wanted the veil IN the shot... i do agree with landscape and closer mostly definitely IF the eyes were the attractive (which tbh they are)

roger.... i'll jump right in and ask why so close? is it a veil or a snood, because a veil can be both attractive, seductive and alluring...however, this close, with this lighting? feels static, maybe its the direct eye contact, whereas a veil wearer would (to be attractive(ing)) be approachable from the side more, a sideways glance?

side note...looking at flickr, ur settings for it are scary. can u do a reshoot, do u have the time?

Hi Roger, I do agree with Frank on this, I think if you take it again then not so close, but I do like it (y)

Hi Roger

I can't see your Structure shot, tho others can! I think I did catch it briefly a couple of week back: Nice bike.

Routine makes you look ... trying to figure it out.

Attractive ... you say you're crap at portraits (I know the feeling). But we all have our own style and this is eyecatching, the whole concept in attractive. Good technically? I don't know.

Dark, a very nice shot Roger as the rocks are dark and a nice sky, also like the waves crashing and rolling plus the gull too :)
Power, another good shot like the texture and grittiness in the shot :)
Above, now I do like this shot Roger ( surfs up ) think you have caught the surfer very well as he stops a wipe-out while surfing that great wave, nice colour of the water and like the lot of it :plus1::plus1:

Last edited:
nice catch up, good to see you back with us, keep out the "out of focus" section you naughty boy :D

Good to have you back! Great catch up, my favourite is power.

i'm easily confused .....

... but the surfer is epic... could do with some depth though for me.. maybe the contrast turning up

nice catch up, good to see you back with us, keep out the "out of focus" section you naughty boy :D

Thanks Allan, no excuses from me I was a twit.:dummy:

Good to have you back! Great catch up, my favourite is power.

Thanks, bit of a personal achievement for me walking to Wheal Coates, six years ago I couldn't walk ten feet, so I am doubly happy to of got a decent photo.

i'm easily confused .....

... but the surfer is epic... could do with some depth though for me.. maybe the contrast turning up

Thanks, I am going to have to get to understand what is meant by depth, a few people have remarked about "depth".

Good to see you back Roger and some great images to boot !!! - That surfing one is a cracker (y)

Really enjoying getting down the beach and photographing the surfers, got added interest now my stepson is surfing with his "crew". The focus ability of my new Sony A68 is very good.

Really enjoying getting down the beach and photographing the surfers, got added interest now my stepson is surfing with his "crew". The focus ability of my new Sony A68 is very good.
That sure helps steer and drive interest, a real nice capture from the Sony (y)

Good work!

Loving the POV and processing of Power. (y)

Hi Roger,

Dark - I too like the way you've captured the gull in the distance, it've small, but very clear.
The image feels like it has a blue cast to it, but not being there, for all I know that's exactly what the shot was like, or exactly the effect you were aiming for.

Power - I love these industrial heritage shots. Interesting to add a white vignette, it gives it a dreamy, almost chocolate tin effect.

Above - Cool action shot caught at just the right moment (I'm thinking faceplant a few moments later).

Back