weekly .

Roger

Filthy, I like your current crop of model images, they give a good impression of the times with the processing you give them.

Reshoot of Heavy, again good processing to highlight the theme.

Mark, so simple and yet so good, lol at Daves comment.

Lost, I get the theme and the colour used, but not as good for me in comparison to your other model images.

Pete

Lost
You seem to have found a processing style you like and it definitely works for your choices for the themes.
To me the top half is a little bright for me, but I like the concept.

Really enjoying life at the moment after a dreadful year and mobility is the best it has been for years. Went walking in the woods with a very dear friend and snapped this for balance when we started behaving like a couple of kids. I was going to call it "the oldest swinger in town" but I am not that brave!

Week 48. Keep your balance or hold on tight!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2csnfQ5]Balance-1.jpg by R Hillman, on Flickr[/URL]

Hi Roger, sorry it's been so long between visits but as always it's really interesting to catch up with your latest images!

Lost Souls - it just works. I'm not sure what it is or how you did it, but there is enough foreground detail to convey your idea and the red backdrop sets it off well (y)
I also like your second idea for Lost; it's graphically simple and works instantly, and I admit I chuckled and looked again when you said it was your bobble hat!
Monstrous - it really is! Absolutely perfect for the theme and the deep shadows add a scary atmosphere.
Balance(d) - a good, fun, colourful image and great to read that you are enjoying life. I think this image conveys that really well.
Crushed - another clever idea, the low POV immediately puts the viewer in the position of being crushed and feeling in danger, and the B&W adds to that sense.

You're on a roll! :)

Monstrous: Goodness, that is a terrifying image....I love it!! Perfect interpretation and impeccably taken image.

Balance: Wonderfully crisp image, a real sense of fun, great colours too.

Crush: Great idea and story in this image. Love the B&W processing....just the right amount of detail in the sole....any more and it might have looked a little 'busy' - Perfect.(y)

Monstrous isn;t showing for me!

Can almost hear that rope creaking for Balance :)

Nice shoe view! That yellow Vibram badge sooooo needs colour popping :D

Hi Roger,

Balance - I know it's hard as it's an action shot, and you'll have been going with the best expression out of the shots you got, but I feel the legs are a tad close to the RHS of the frame. Possibly a crop in from the left and up from the bottom to balance the image out a bit? Dunno. Maybe worth a shot.

Crush - Nice sharp in your face crisp image. Love the use of the black and white points to really make the image hit you.

Roger

Monstrous - glad I did'nt see this just before going to bed.

Balance - nice fun shot, glad you have some mojo back in your life.

Crush - a very clever take on the theme, B&W works well, I don't know if more exposure would improve it, to reveal more details in the boot.

Pete

The one thing I think it needs, Roger, is something to give it context from a scale perspective.
I'm guessing it's a waterfall of some kind? but the look of the water on the left makes me wonder if it's a miniature of some kind...
Nicely caught though :)

Great shot, perfectly exposed.
Glad you chose to expose for the detail with a high shutter speed rather than a milky long exposure....fits the theme very nicely....lots of energy.(y)

(I have nothing against long exposure waterfall shots....I'm just jealous because my ND filters are rubbish, and I live in Norfolk where there are no waterfalls whatsoever! :D )

Hi Roger,

Motion, A very Different Take on the theme, It looks static but conveys motion so very well. Good exposure and details.

PS I will follow your 52 in 19 as I find your images very interesting.

Have a great New Year.

Pete

I like that for Motion, Roger. I was thinking along the same lines but as I did something similar for week 35 (Splash) I'm going to try something different tomorrow - fingers crossed! I like the use of a fast shutter speed to freeze the individual drops, and I think the contrasting textures of the clear water on the left and the foaming water on the left work really well together.

I am glad that you will be continuing with your 52 next year and I look forward to seeing your images as you have posted some really original work this year.

Super image! Great colours and a terrific sense of fun...certainly brings a smile to ones face!

I don't know what a Bucket Party is either....{**Googles Bucket Party**}....ahh, I see now...it's a big bucket with a load of booze in it!!:D
Or as in your image, under it!! :D
Looks like great fun and you captured it very well.

I'm looking forward to following your work throughout 2019.(y)

A couple of things Roger.
The image is perhaps a bit warm (the whites of the eyes on the bucket are a bit orange) - but perhaps you wanted that?
The top of the bucket could perhaps do with a bit more space / shifting the subject to the right.
Both are fairly minor though and it's a nice fun image.

Glad you had a great Christmas, Roger, and I have learned something new as I hadn't heard of a 'bucket party' before :) I note what Tim says about the colour and it's a shame you can't see it to correct it, but on the other hand it adds a clear feeling of being indoors and it's a warm tone, too, which adds to the party feel along with the happy face on the bucket and the way the cans and bucket are off-kilter. It works well (y)
I love the contrasting colours and warm tones in your Showcase image and the bokeh is spectacular, almost giving a sense of the scales on the dragon's body. As we have come to expect from you, it's an unusual image and catches the eye immediately.

I will be following your thread next year - see you in 2019!

Hi Roger,

motion, I love shots of water captured and frozzen in time. I like it, nice exposure control.
party, nice colourful image with a fun aspect and I like the oof christmas lights in the bg.
showcase, lots of crazy nokeh, works well with that rather excellent looking dragon, love the colour.

Well done on the completion of your 52!

Just left the comments I was banned from the 52 for, so people can judge for themselves easily. posts 260 ish.

And Mandy not deleting her.:):):)

Last edited:
Back