*** 7D Firmware Released Today*** Inc Video!

APO indeed means "aprochromatic" on Sigma Lens thats why I was baffled

Some times it doesn't help being to clever I got the APO straight away however I never new it meant aprochromatic
however I shall now google it and see what it actually means :LOL:

I have just noticed, after processing some RAW shots, that the peripheral illumination correction data for a couple of my L lenses has been lost. I tried to reload through EOS Utiliies which failed. I then checked and a new version is available on Canon UK's website that supports v2 firmware, installed it and the PIC data went across straight away.

my 7d is still working fine with no issues after the upgrade and it APO'd a few times again yesterday all is still well

No problems since updating mine. The only new feature I have really made use of is the Auto-ISO setting, which I set to 800. I know the 7D can return decent results up to ISO 3200, but I prefer to have manual control above 800. Using Av shetting plus Max-ISO of 800 is good enough for the vast majority of my needs, and it suits my limited skills.

No problems since updating mine. The only new feature I have really made use of is the Auto-ISO setting, which I set to 800. I know the 7D can return decent results up to ISO 3200, but I prefer to have manual control above 800. Using Av shetting plus Max-ISO of 800 is good enough for the vast majority of my needs, and it suits my limited skills.
I intend to do something similar, but have not looked at where to change the setting yet....

With APO on (Auto Power Off) and it freezes is there an easy way out i.e. remove the battery or is it stuck till Canon get their hands on it?

With APO on (Auto Power Off) and it freezes is there an easy way out i.e. remove the battery or is it stuck till Canon get their hands on it?

Mine's been well behaved so not speaking from experience - but judging from all the threads I've seen across the internet just turn off and remove the battery, leave for a minute, replace and turn on.

Thanks, can anyone else confirm?
I tend to use the APO feature as I clip the camera on my rucksack and go wandering, click it off and take the shot, I guess without APO i'll chew the battery up some more.

Last edited:
Actually it's 2.0.3, but I wonder what happened to 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 :D

More importantly does it work and has the freezing problem been sorted, OK who's going to be a guinea pig

Actually it's 2.0.3, but I wonder what happened to 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 :D

More importantly does it work and has the freezing problem been sorted, OK who's going to be a guinea pig

Woops-a senior moment, I've installed it and works fine, but I didn't have the freezing problem originally?

Last edited:
In the release notes

"Changes: Firmware version 2.0.3 incorporates the following fixes. 1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera stops working when the auto power off setting takes effect."

Didn't have the freezing problem and I had APO set

Updated it anyway, out all day next Monday so better safe than sorry (hopefully)

Anyone else tried the latest firmware? I'm still on the original firmware my 7D came with....

I didn't think I had the APO problem until yesterday when it reared its ugly head. :razz: It showed up on mine while birding, as the camera was asleep for quite a while. Bird shows up, go to focus and......... nothing:|

Just upgraded to the new version and currently letting the camera have a power nap to see if the problems gone for good :)

I too didn't have the freezing/APO issue after 2.0.0 but upgraded to 2.0.3 just in case, and have had no issues the last day or so. Hope there is not a need for 2.0.4:)

I've seen on someone else's 7D that when he reviews a shot, he can see what's in focus. Anyone know what settings need to be changed to enable this?

Ahh yes, focus peaking, I've just read up about magic lantern. Thanks.
I presume installing firmware like that voids warranty? Does anyone have any views about magic lantern or a link to a relevant discussion thread please?

Back