weekly Adamski 52 for 2023 Wk 37 Hollow

I like that Adam.
Thanks @seaodyssey. I took others also with the S1 and 24-105 but this little lens just added a bit of fun to it. Image quality is not the same as the S1 I had but it was fun and I'm relatively happy with the outcome.

The fisheye gives a slightly distorted outcome, so it was just something different and I've never used a lens like this before. It also gave me the opportunity to play around with affinity and process the RAW file.

Last edited:
Nice image, I'm not familiar with the location, is the water always there or have you just had loads of rain?

Nice. I think any distortion has been taken care of, apart from that wonky chimney of course.

I've just had a quick read online for adjusting distortion in affinity and I may have a go at it tomorrow, see if I can figure it out.

Just had a play (filters, distortion) and you can select the camera and the exact 9mm fisheye used. That being said, it made little to no difference on the wonky chimney, possibly because it is a little wonky in real life (see here: https://www.coventryrocks.co.uk/listings/baddesley-clinton).

Last edited:
Well captured. Good that you've kept the reflections by not cropping the bottom.

Nice shot pity the water was rippling I trust you shall be returning on a really still day to get those excellent reflections.

Good start to the 52. I like the perspective and the distortion isn't obvious. Nice one.

I need a poll of sorts as I had an idea, using some of the LEGO Speed Champions I got for Christmas (that my son has now pinched I may add).

The idea was to almost try and portray a product shot (keep in mind I have no studio, backdrops, lights (bar a flash) and so on) and I am terrible at still life images as I don't think I have a great imagination and things just don't look right when I place them.

Anyway, I am torn between the two and do not know which one to use for this weeks challenge. 1 is shot on some foam board I have lying around using the natural light from the back bay window. I have then used Affinity to remove the joins / lines of the board. I like this one as it looks more like a product shot. The second one I like as I think it perhaps portrays what I am trying to put accross better. The image is to show incomplete for week two and meet the tech element of the challenge (juxtapose) as I have one complete and one incomplete.

What do you think?

Well I went with the second one. This should be okay for the theme (incomplete) and the tech as there is one complete and one incomplete Lego model. I think I actually prefer the first image, but the second one better shows the incomplete part of the task.

Last edited:
Hi Adam, second is far better IMO. The lighting is better, bringing out the red with a nice pop. The reflection on the windscreen of the red car echos that on the box art.

The two boxes are nicely aligned with each other and the top of the frame.

Again IMO the black car in the first is too front on and the red too side on to be as appealing.

I agree with Graham. For me the second is the better shot. The blank white space in the background of the first shot doesn't do anything to enhance the image. Filling the background with the boxes makes for a much more interesting image.

Your area - I would never have guessed it was taken with a fisheye lens, it doesn't have a familiar convex appearance (I had to look up which con it was!!)
Incomplete - Number 2 conveys the theme better, not sure it's juxtaposed though.

Thanks folks.

Juxtaposition is an interesting one and I spent a bit of time googling images for it. Tall and short, dark and light, smooth and rough, white and black and so on. Complete and incomplete came up also, Lego, jigsaws, house / buildings, so that's where I got the idea from. What I didn't want to do is just have a complete Lego item and then lots of bits on the floor, or still in the bag. Thought I would try and do something a little different.

Could have just taken a simple selfie with the wife where I had a completed Lego model and she didn't, as I'm male, she's female, I'm tall (6 foot 4 and she is short(er) 5 foot 2) I'm white and she isn't. Could have hit a multitude of juxtaposed themes, but tried to do something different :)

Last edited:
Second image for me Adam. Lighting is better and the product sells itself. The first is a little bland for me.

Working on some ideas for this (all shot on the phone camera).

I read artificial as: man / woman made, not real, fake, replica - could be a whole host of things.

First one is some artificial animal trophies from a local bar / restaurant (hence camera phone and angle). Second one is some artificial lights on a local shopping area (on the camera phone which I think is amazing). Third is a handmade lamp from Turkey, which is giving off artificial light in different colours.

Attachments

• PXL_20230122_165636177.MP_3.jpg
    PXL_20230122_165636177.MP_3.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230122_174248927.jpg
    PXL_20230122_174248927.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230122_191632784.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230122_191632784.MP.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I also agree that image 2 is the better, I think the composition is much easier to look at and the 'set' is better, especially the texture floor.

Some other options for artificial

The second one was taken just as the sunlight was coming through the windows on the GX9 and Olympus 9mm Fisheye. It looks a little blurry here, must be the compression or something as the actual image is clear on my screen. I like this one as it gives a good view of the man made (artificial) stained glass windows.

The first image was taken with my S1 and the 24-105 F4 lens.

I think the second image is a better representation of ARTIFICIAL as these are man made, stained glass windows and wouldn't be found naturally.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Liking the first from a compositional POV. Dead straight down the middle showing the symmetry of the cathedral(?)

Second is beautiful too. Nice use of fisheye lens to get it all in. Beaytiful colours. Impressive to get all that from a single shot. I'd have seen that scene as a candidate for an HDR, multi shot stitched panorama!

Two really strong images Adam, I would have had trouble choosing between them.

Both good images but I'm leaning towards the first which has a certain grandeur.

Liking the first from a compositional POV. Dead straight down the middle showing the symmetry of the cathedral(?)

Second is beautiful too. Nice use of fisheye lens to get it all in. Beaytiful colours. Impressive to get all that from a single shot. I'd have seen that scene as a candidate for an HDR, multi shot stitched panorama!

I just read up on HDR photography although, I've never done one. I didn't have a tripod with me (which I believe is useful for HDR) and just looked up and tried to position myself to get the best shot I could. It's all learning and I'm looking forward to comparing what (if any) progression I will have made in my photography at the end of this 52 for 2023.

I look at the images you and others post and I'm always left feeling a bit low as I think mine aren't as good (I appreciate they may not be). But as I said it is all learning.

People also seem to live by wonderful places and I look out of my window and think meh, no nice beaches or coastline for me to wander down to.

Well they are both spectacular images. The fisheye on is different and grabs my attention more.
If you upload to flickr first and then link to here the images tend to look sharper.

I just read up on HDR photography although, I've never done one. I didn't have a tripod with me (which I believe is useful for HDR) and just looked up and tried to position myself to get the best shot I could. It's all learning and I'm looking forward to comparing what (if any) progression I will have made in my photography at the end of this 52 for 2023.

I look at the images you and others post and I'm always left feeling a bit low as I think mine aren't as good (I appreciate they may not be). But as I said it is all learning.

People also seem to live by wonderful places and I look out of my window and think meh, no nice beaches or coastline for me to wander down to.

One thing I can guarantee, is if you stick this for a(nother) year, and give and take considered critique on your own and others submissions.. you WILL improve!

I'm slightly embarrassed by your praise there, I don't think I also have amazing scenes on my doorstep or the ability to hit them in the perfect light. I've hardly picked up a camera for the past 5 or so years, and all my kit is over 10 years old!

Don't get down about something that is meant to be enjoyable. Only compare yourself to yourself a few weeks ago.
And if you want specific feedback just ask. I hope all the knowledge in here will be happy to share. All the best.

Well going with this one for week 4 transparent.

Photography sphere, on a mirror, camera in S mode, had to reduce 5 levels of exposure as it was shot in the bedroom later part of the afternoon. Colour changing tealights stuck to a transparent ruler which was rotated around the sphere (sides and back).

Last edited:
Back