weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

Left, quick off the mark. Works for me and on theme. The gloomy atmosphere adds to the Left narrative. Just, as Mr Cow says ;) a bit small. Although increasing the sizw may have had a negative effect.

Cheers.

Left, quick off the mark. Works for me and on theme. The gloomy atmosphere adds to the Left narrative. Just, as Mr Cow says ;) a bit small. Although increasing the sizw may have had a negative effect.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy,
my intension was to get the mouse or poo as Brian sees it, larger in the foreground but it didn't work,
this was the pic that seemed to work best out of the few i took.

Hi Allan,

Good idea for Left but i feel the perspective isn't quite right. Maybe it would be better with the bear larger in the frame or the distance between the bear and person not so great so it would be further up the frame. Something, somehow slightly different maybe??

Hi Allan, sorry I have been awol with my comments, things got in the way.

Melt, great take on the theme, I particularly liked your 'how to' thanks for that.
Its got it all as far as I'm concerned, composition, colour tones, idea and execution all spot on (y)

Left, a good early submission, again a good concept. The distance between the toy and Jane works, maybe having Jane a little more to the right would have positioned her in the bright area and she would have stood out more. Jane is a little lost against the trees I feel.

Good work all round though Allan (y)

Hi Ya

Melt......I'm liking that , good white bg, lovely colors & shapes created by the melting ( I hope you didn't harm too many jelly babies in the making of this! ).....only one I'm not keen on is the black one but not really sure why ??

Left......had to giggle at Brians comments......looked like a furry toy to me , like the low POV & personnaly I think it looks spot on in it's placement.....apologies for the lack of smilies....I can't find them !

I don't have a problem with perspective or size, I like it pretty much as it is. I think it would benefit from being viewed at a much larger size though... it's that kind of shot for me. A nice idea, and the mix of greens and autumnal colours works nicely, as does the light and shadow cast across the path.

Brian sticks his foot in it again .... :LOL:

left works really well, the distcance of the child from the "teddy", really emphasising the "left", rather than just "dropped", and the blue clothing helps him stand out against the green nicely.

And (y) for the Melt explanation - the colour replacemnt is excellent - certaintly cant see the evidence of it!

Last edited:
WEEK 45 FOOD

Pepper
by allanhowe, on Flickr

I have a feeling it might be quite hard to take a picture of your dinner.
I feel minimalism is the way forward :whistle:

Another....

Tomato
by allanhowe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Allan,

That first image of the pepper is an absolute belter. Love it mate. The red against the white background works tremendously well.

Ive just had a thought, if you sprayed it with a touch of water would that make it really sparkle??

Allan,

That first image of the pepper is an absolute belter. Love it mate. The red against the white background works tremendously well.

Ive just had a thought, if you sprayed it with a touch of water would that make it really sparkle??

I did try it with a spray of water but I thought this one worked better as the flash was blowing the drops out a bit too much

Really like those good shots.
I have to say flash photos are not my strong point and I only have a built-in flash at present on my d7000
How did you get the white background? Some sort of light box?

Hi Allan,

The pepper: I like the composition, but my eye is drawn to some "blotches" that I can see, up above the pepper, slightly to the right of centre on the background. Love the colours, maybe a it's tad over sharpened? lovely colour saturation.

The tomato is a real warts and all HD experience! again nice composition and lovely colours, good job on the background. Well done (y)

Really like those good shots.
I have to say flash photos are not my strong point and I only have a built-in flash at present on my d7000
How did you get the white background? Some sort of light box?

I used 2 flashes one on the pepper and one just for the BG

Hi Allan,

The pepper: I like the composition, but my eye is drawn to some "blotches" that I can see, up above the pepper, slightly to the right of centre on the background. Love the colours, maybe a it's tad over sharpened? lovely colour saturation.

The tomato is a real warts and all HD experience! again nice composition and lovely colours, good job on the background. Well done (y)

Thanks Brian have fixed the blobs

Last edited:
Hi Allan
Sorry that i have fallen behind.

Live - well executed - good detail throughout. I find the 'ghost' a little hard to see, along with others. But then some see it better - so maybe a monitor thing or perception. But good comp and quite wistful atmosphere.

Reflection - #1 is brilliant. Weird to see such rigid structures in such a wobbly way. Handled really well, good in the frame. #2 i don't know what it is and doesn't really do anything for me. #3 the ladybird is very well handled - good colour and detail . I like the way also that the l/b appears to be looking at its reflection too.

Melt - excellent idea and technically well handled but I just can't over my feeling that the colours are a little dull and the figures indistinct. I think that I am in a minority of one with this opinion - sorry

Left - another top idea (y) - it really interprets the theme very well. Good daylight for a change and you have captured good detail and colour. The shot makes one feel a little sad for the loss - so works on more than one level.

Food - both high quality images and bright images with lots of impact. #1 for me as I much prefer the lighting and the fluted shape to the pepper rather than just the sphere of the tomato. An image for which the word 'plump' is ideal.

Last edited:
pepper for me - the tomoato has more detail in it - even the hair on the stalk, but the multiple curves with their shadows and highlights over the top of the pepper make it for me.

Another vote for the pepper from me Allan, for the same reasons as Graham, the contours and curves add more over the tomato.
A simple yet effective take, an image which I could see being used in some sort of cookbook or magazine with space for writing above it (y)

I have always been amazed by the work that has gone into this ceiling, not just the painting but the stone work too, both artistic in their own way.
It was only uncovered about 12 years ago.
It was black and only when some work was being undertaken on the stone work someone brushed against it to reveal a small patch of paint, it was then cleaned to reveal this.

Cathedral ceiling
by allanhowe, on Flickr

I took it about 3.30 this afternoon the light through the windows is very poor but it was the best I could do.

Last edited:
What is it i like about this one?

Great colours and detail in the golds. Good symmetry top and bottom.

Opportunities? Maybe extending the right hand side to give symmetry left and right.

Good capture

Thanks for looking in not really happy with it myself i hate the light in the windows though to be fair the ceiling was really dark, had to expose for the ceiling to get any detail,
put the camera on the floor and pressed the shutter, the pic was a little wider (I cropped slightly) at 10mm the lens was at its limit
the ceiling is probably 60ft by 20ft its hard to get wider

Super shot Allan, even at such a distance. Lots of detail and the light is sublime - it looks even better on Flickr. Looking at the arches left and right, it does not seem as if the building is symmetrical and so I would be happy with the shot.
Super building. Well done (y)

Thanks Alan, you are right the building is not symmetrical,
to the right is the crossing/bell tower, the intersection of a cross and to the left the high alter with a large stained glass window poking over the top of it.

Hi, like Art. Looks like a wonderful place.

Symmetry has been mentioned, always stands out on these kinds of photographs. Being picky, a bit more detail in the stained glass windows would be great.

Cheers.

Hi, like Art. Looks like a wonderful place.

Symmetry has been mentioned, always stands out on these kinds of photographs. Being picky, a bit more detail in the stained glass windows would be great.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, there actually isn't much stained glass in the windows just the very top section of three of them

Hi ya

that's a beautiful work of Art....we just don't make things like that anymore :crying: Symetry is a pain but in this image can't be helped but it doesn't detract for me as it's so lovely to look at , detail well caught & looks even better viewed bigger :clap:

Hi Allan, that ceiling is indeed a work of art, so bang on theme.
I particularly liked your backstory to the image and indeed the roof being uncovered.

Its all about choices, isn't it? You simply had to expose for the detail as opposed to the windows so can't fault the decision. I feel the viewers eye is drawn to the detail, the windows merely hold the edges of the frame and don't detract in any way.

Symmetry has been mentioned but i think there is an easy 'fix' to this, simply rotate the image to portrait and you have the symmetry :D

Good work Allan, you must feel very privileged to work in such a stunning environment, i know i would.

The pepper is nice, the lighting works well, and the moisture on the skin gives it a fresh look. The simplicity of the two colours against the white background makes for a really pleasing image. I'm not so keen on the tomato, it's well done, but the fine detail makes it look a bit scabby.

The ceiling is beautiful, nice shapes and tones... open it up on Flickr and it really comes alive. Lovely detail.

A good early submission from you Allan (y)
It doesn't scream friendship to me, more proud father, parent etc.
Thats not to say they can't be friends ;)
having said that, I do like the scene, it tells a story, good composition with room for them to cycle into, it has depth to it. Cheers

A good early submission from you Allan (y)
It doesn't scream friendship to me, more proud father, parent etc.
Thats not to say they can't be friends ;)
having said that, I do like the scene, it tells a story, good composition with room for them to cycle into, it has depth to it. Cheers

Thanks Iain, its a fair point about father and son but I feel they of course would be friends :thinking:
was totally lacking any inspiration for this topic as I was with art

It works for me Allan. Good timing to capture them looking towards each other creating a bond.

Thanks

Nicely taken (y)

Thank you

I love riding with my lad (he's coming up on 21 now) it is great to be friends with your kids, especially when they get older. I remember when, at the top of a large hill he said to me once "I can beat you now dad" I said, you are 18 years old and I'm 46 you're supposed to be able to beat me ffs! :LOL:

Anyway, well caught, the moment that is, the eye contact says it all. As Iain rightly points out the composition is just perfect for the story, did you PP out any "street furniture"? I do like the clean background/setting!

PS. Another path! :D good to see there was nothing "left" on the path by inconsiderate dog walkers ;), there's nothing worse than getting muck on your bike tyres :puke:

I love riding with my lad (he's coming up on 21 now) it is great to be friends with your kids, especially when they get older. I remember when, at the top of a large hill he said to me once "I can beat you now dad" I said, you are 18 years old and I'm 46 you're supposed to be able to beat me ffs! :LOL:

Anyway, well caught, the moment that is, the eye contact says it all. As Iain rightly points out the composition is just perfect for the story, did you PP out any "street furniture"? I do like the clean background/setting!

PS. Another path! :D good to see there was nothing "left" on the path by inconsiderate dog walkers ;), there's nothing worse than getting muck on your bike tyres :puke:

Thanks Brian,
I know exactly what you mean my son is 21 too, I have had similar comments. They are never too old for a beating :bat:if only i could catch him :LOL:

No street furniture though I had to crop a little off the right because of a fence.

Back