weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

Nicely done low key shot Allen, She looks very shiny and sleek. A slight negative point for me is the specular highlight on her "shoulder"? but it's not a big negative, the colours and sharpness are lovely. (y)

Last edited:
Thats just lovely Allan (y)
The lovely colour tones, detail in the scales and the catchlight in the eye all come together perfectly.

Good work, another early submission, take the rest of the week off ;)

Lovely colours and sharp as a sharp thing around the eyes.

Nice positioning as well.

Thanks

Nicely done low key shot Allen, She looks very shiny and sleek. A slight negative point for me is the specular highlight on her "shoulder"? but it's not a big negative, the colours and sharpness are lovely. (y)

Thanks the highlight is a bit rubbish but took so many pics of which about 8 were in focus, it wasn't keen on modelling

Thats just lovely Allan (y)
The lovely colour tones, detail in the scales and the catchlight in the eye all come together perfectly.

Good work, another early submission, take the rest of the week off ;)

Thanks Iain

Is it real Allan ??

As mentioned, great colours. Would have been spectacular if you could get the snake to face the camera.

Yes its real, she's a corn snake used her in the first week for sin, the little sod wouldn't really come towards the camera so no face on shot

certainly sleek - and as you have said, probably not an easy model to shoot...

but, good and sharp, and a beautiful colour too. Couple of negatives as said, but outweighed by the positives.

Facing the camera would be nice, but I'm guessing they're not that open to modelling suggestions?

The colours are beautiful, and I really like the way it/he/she runs in and out of focus

Evening Allan :)

Food - Ooooo a nice pair you have there !!!!

Instantly I have chosen the red pepper, that shape works so well with that crop, looks great how you have the light catching it, good white background too - Cracking shot :clap:

Art - Wow there is some work in that ceiling... I think you need a bit off the left to even the shot up, and to appreciate the work/art it needs to be viewed HUGE on flickr, excellent detail caught when you do :)

Friendship - Nice Idea... but for me would prefer to see their faces, what you have taken is well executed and I also like the conversion/PP

Sleek - Saw these on flickr first... love them, such great colours and highlights on the scales and catchlight (y)

Temperamentall models...face on would be great. Nice oranges as well.

Think I'd prefer it all in focus.

Sleek indeed.

thanks Andy temperamental indeed, used the macro lens on this so not the greatest for DoF

certainly sleek - and as you have said, probably not an easy model to shoot...

but, good and sharp, and a beautiful colour too. Couple of negatives as said, but outweighed by the positives.

Thanks

Facing the camera would be nice, but I'm guessing they're not that open to modelling suggestions?

The colours are beautiful, and I really like the way it/he/she runs in and out of focus

Thank you not open at all was temted to nail it down at one point

Evening Allan :)

Food - Ooooo a nice pair you have there !!!!

Instantly I have chosen the red pepper, that shape works so well with that crop, looks great how you have the light catching it, good white background too - Cracking shot :clap:

Art - Wow there is some work in that ceiling... I think you need a bit off the left to even the shot up, and to appreciate the work/art it needs to be viewed HUGE on flickr, excellent detail caught when you do :)

Friendship - Nice Idea... but for me would prefer to see their faces, what you have taken is well executed and I also like the conversion/PP

Sleek - Saw these on flickr first... love them, such great colours and highlights on the scales and catchlight (y)

Thanks and thanks for the comments on flickr

Evening matey.....finally time for a catching up...where does the time go ??

Friendship....Perfect , the eye contact between them lifts it perfectly , good uncluttered pathway & I like mono ,brilliant capture :clap:

Forgot Sleek.......I like it , facing away from the camera seems more natural to me , great colors & detail in the scales...:)

Last edited:
WEEK 49 COLOUR

stained glass window
by allanhowe, on Flickr

Very early submission

Stained glass window east end of cathedral with a nativity theme very apt. Even being a devout atheist I do admire the work which goes into these things.

Went in to take something else but didn't take a tripod its not the best light in there so didn't get a sharp pic of what i wanted so this will have to do.
May well try in the week again for my original idea.

I think the shot, and the scene is perfect for the theme and the festive season...

Nicely exposed too, the black of the inside framing the colour blocks really nicely.

apple and lime photoshop was spot on for me,

think your friendship shot is brilliant too, bang on theme

and the stained glass window perfectly covers the theme

WEEK 50 FANTASY

fantasy
by allanhowe, on Flickr

That was a difficult subject, best I can do with my limited PS skills,

I have no idea what its trying to say, just wanted it to be a bit nightmary I suppose and its the only fantasy book in the house. so at least the books on theme.

post and be damned, thats the saying isn't it :whistle:

Nice one, Allan. The Two Towers really adds to the feel of the photograph. You've done a cracking job with, in your words "limited PS skills".

Crit, well, not much from me, wonder what it would look like with another hand coming from the hole? Minor point and :clap:

Two more to go :)

Cheers.

That window is amazing, lovely vibrant colours (y)

Fantasy is seriously impressive, no crit just impressed.

Superb image Alan.....no crit just a resounding :clap::clap:

Thanks Lynne

Nice one, Allan. The Two Towers really adds to the feel of the photograph. You've done a cracking job with, in your words "limited PS skills".

Crit, well, not much from me, wonder what it would look like with another hand coming from the hole? Minor point and :clap:

Two more to go :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy I did try it with two hands but couldn't get the placement quite right

That window is amazing, lovely vibrant colours (y)

Fantasy is seriously impressive, no crit just impressed.

Thanks you are too kind

Last edited:
That is super for fantasy... not so sure you can keep describing your PS skills as limited any more!

Great idea, and very well executed. Love the smoke coming up out the hole in the book. Top work. :clap:

That is super for fantasy... not so sure you can keep describing your PS skills as limited any more!

Great idea, and very well executed. Love the smoke coming up out the hole in the book. Top work. :clap:

Believe me its still quite limited you have no idea how long that took, now having done it once I could probably do it in 20 mins,
lets just say the border took me a couple of hours:eek:

Hi Allan, I already "liked" this on flickr. Cracking job mate. :clap:

Thank you Brian, thats very nice

Hi Allan
Sleek - like the position of the snake with the space upper left for it to move into. Also like the slight oof of the front as this gives a feeling of movement to the snake. Good sharpness and colours
Colour - brilliant :clap:. Really like the way that you have handled the blacks so that the colours seem more intense
Fantasy - super effort. Good idea very well handled. The smoke/dust really adds atmosphere - seems like someone trying to get out of a crypt - must be the influence of where you work :rolleyes:

Please ignore my previous reply mate.
Ive just looked on PC rather than iphone. The landscape view is good. Great moisture and light on the fungus which i couldn't see on the phone too.
Nearly as good as Blondie ;)

Great capture. :clap:

fungus
by allanhowe, on Flickr

Really like the fungus Allan. Just wondered if it would be better as a portrait? Or with a teeny bit more at the bottom. I keep wanting to look further down.

Really like the colours and focus

Please ignore my previous reply mate.
Ive just looked on PC rather than iphone. The landscape view is good. Great moisture and light on the fungus which i couldn't see on the phone too.
Nearly as good as Blondie ;)

Great capture. :clap:

Thanks for looking in here is a portrait version

Me too, the portrait is even better than the first.

Technically spot on, always love a bit of bokeh, great colours in the mushrooms and there's something really pleasing about the way they are huddling together like a choir or something!

Well done, :clap:

Back