Allan.H TP52 2017 WEEK 52 WEATHER ADDED

Good photo for tiny, I like the minimal composition that keeps the eye on the ant and provides a sense of scale

Great minimalist photo of an ant, well composed and lit (y)

Nicely done, the contrast-y light really suits the vicious looking sculpture IMHO

Damn now that is unusual...I like the low PoV and the way it is lit, the dark background helps it stand out nicely too, not certain if lit with a spotlight or a vignette has been added, still looks cool either way :)

<EDIT> That looks a cracking exhibition Allan, must be cool having that being set up where you work !!! do you get early access to the exhibits ??

Last edited:
Damn now that is unusual...I like the low PoV and the way it is lit, the dark background helps it stand out nicely too, not certain if lit with a spotlight or a vignette has been added, still looks cool either way :)

<EDIT> That looks a cracking exhibition Allan, must be cool having that being set up where you work !!! do you get early access to the exhibits ??

It does have a slight vignette indeed, we have had early access to some of the exhibits the Damien Hirst calf (False Idol) being one of them which remains covered till tomorrow nights official opening

Love the sculpture, love the website, nice design. You couldn't find a better setting ... dark cloisters, flagstone floor.

f*** me...that;s a bit weird/scary and works for me :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

I agree with @d00d, Tiny would have also fitted well for minimalistic. It could perhaps do with something to provide scale? Nicely executed though.
Face though is pure genius, loving it.

Thank you I didn't put anything with the ant as I thought we are used to ants and how small they are, and to me it was more about catching the form of the ant

Hi Allan. I've been all but absent for a couple of months so I'm just trying to catch up by looking back over what I've missed. I love Vivid - possibly because it's quite similar to what I tried to do. Large is cool, very dramatic and you don't see a lot of macro stuff converted into mono. Broken works well and the wave effect of the pedals in Transport is really eye-catching. Progress is a great idea and well taken, despite the fact you sounded apologetic about it! You could argue all day about where the focal point should be but effectively focussing ahead of the subject, to where it's going, seems very apt given the theme. Really like the simplicity of the ant photo. The skeletal alien/dinosaur/monster is a bit scary but a very eye-catching shot. Agriculture works very well, leading your eye up to the farm buildings at the top. The conversion almost makes it look wintery.

Hi Allan. I've been all but absent for a couple of months so I'm just trying to catch up by looking back over what I've missed. I love Vivid - possibly because it's quite similar to what I tried to do. Large is cool, very dramatic and you don't see a lot of macro stuff converted into mono. Broken works well and the wave effect of the pedals in Transport is really eye-catching. Progress is a great idea and well taken, despite the fact you sounded apologetic about it! You could argue all day about where the focal point should be but effectively focussing ahead of the subject, to where it's going, seems very apt given the theme. Really like the simplicity of the ant photo. The skeletal alien/dinosaur/monster is a bit scary but a very eye-catching shot. Agriculture works very well, leading your eye up to the farm buildings at the top. The conversion almost makes it look wintery.
Thanks for the extensive catch up

Face thing is great, like both the "thing" and your shot.

Agriculture just looks way to over exposed to me Im afraid.

Hi, summery is a little of, maybe it wasn't symmetrical :)

Looks a little washed out, but good use of lines.

Cheers.
Face thing is great, like both the "thing" and your shot.

Agriculture just looks way to over exposed to me Im afraid.
Interesting looking crop (Growing crop), looks quite ultra-violet type a shot, certainly good use of the lines and the portrait crop too, would be good to see the colour image so can see why the bright exposure :)
The conversion has had the greens and yellows pushed and the orange pulled down to emphasize the lines, maybe a little to much, but it is not overexposed, the colour image is on flickr feel free to take a look, thanks for the comments

Certainly agriculture and good use of the lines but I'm not convinced by the mono conversion, sorry.

I think crops would look better in colour (think I've seen it that way?) but corn looks good in mono :).

Seen the colour version of your main crop pic and I much prefer it ... IMO B&W rarely improves things.

Good use of lines with good FG and BG but would like to see it cropped symmetrically which means losing a slice off LHS.

You and your black and white bias, I did put them both in originally but took the colour one out as we all know colour very rarely improves things, you have a point about the symmetry but I have tried it and somehow I didn't think it worked, cant remember why, cant really be bothered

Back