weekly Allie's "52" for 2013

Hi Alison :)

Rock - Crit covered by others as well as yourself, good to take a pic, post it up and move on knowing where you want to improve it, perfect progress rather than giving in (y)

Pair - Now that did make me laugh :LOL: I did spot them before I read your right up and though it was intentional, a great idea, well compromised and really like the PP... Nice One (y)

I like this one. Nice simple composition and the processing has created a nice overall image. Also like the added detail courtesy of the reflection in the sunglasses of what i assume is yourself and the garden chairs This added detail amkes the image in my opinion.

Good capture

I thought it was intentional, and my word you have such a big pair!

Perhaps they are magnified in the curve of the glass? - your hands that is [what were YOU thinking?] :LOL:

very funny :LOL: cant say as i'd noticed till you pointed it out, apart from that i do like the processing on this I am not a big fan of instagram kind of pics but it does make the picture for me.

Hi Allie

:LOL::LOL:.....love the pp...suits the raybans to a tee....(y)

Liked it as soon as i saw it come up in the thread.

the 2nd pair just adds to the fun !!

Hi Alison

Size - super comp and an excellent idea. Good colour and focus

Below - I do like that - the framing and the action in the figures and the colours. Excellent job on the cloning (y)

Rock - enough said I think

Pair - mus t admit that i had the same immediate thought as your 16 year old - not sure what that says about me :thinking: Again I like the idea and the comp. the PP suits it very well

Thanks all, trying hard to do a rock reshoot this week.

Well almost didn't get these two in.

First shot is a re shoot of week 25 - Rock (although it could double up as a Shape shot too :D)

Got a wider depth of field than before and its more in focus and I had better lighting.

Shape-Rock-1-2 by Allieowen, on Flickr

Second shot is for Week 27 - Shape

Hadn't time to get out much last week so was looking round the garden for some shapes. These pegs to me, are shaped like little solders from Alice in Wonderland. Little faces with shocked looks on them :eek:
(well maybe only to me :wacky: haha)

Phew...all up to date before the next theme today (y)

Shape by Allieowen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done Alison. I like the idea for rock. I'm currently going through a phase of close / abstract cropping. Maybe you could experiment and crop away some of the flooring on the right hand side. Even, dare i say it, see what it looks like cropping into the rock shape itself and see what it looks like. May not work but may give another perspective.

Thanks Alan, I did every crop you mentioned and just wasnt happy with the results. I like yourself tend to experiment with close/abstract cropping, and have some cracking shots but just couldn't get it this time.

Rock - Now that's much better, i agree a square crop would suit the shape nicely, good detail, well lit and nicely set up (y)

Shape - Now I like that too, nice and bright, good contrast between the fence and the pegs and like the way they lead into the picture :)

Hi Allie :wave:

Really great reshoot of Rock...beautifully white whites....nice pattern & great focus :clap: I think I like the crop as is....possibly :)

Shape.....nice n bright with good colors & use of DOF......little niggle is it's even numbers....things seems to work better with odd numbers ?

Hi

Rock is much better the only thing is the scratches in the BG surface, composition is good wouldn't change it

shape agree with blondie about the number of pegs, but would of also tried to blur the BG a little more

Week 28 - Plenty

Been drinking "plenty" of this lately.

Just a quick idea so may add another during the week. Glass has a few marks and scratches I wish were not there. Bit more clone/healing to do.

Plenty-3 by Allieowen, on Flickr

Last edited:
re-shoot for Rock is really much better - think it's good to have the reshoot cards as a way to force you to look back and address something that didn't quite work. Fantastic shot this time, the white of the crystals really shining, set well against the colour, and texture of the chooping board. Nice work on the composition too. :clap:

Pegs I like the colours, and the separation between each one, not too fussed about the OOF-ness of the fence in the BG as you have all 4 pegs in sharp focus which I think works well.

Plenty - great idea and capture of the pouring and the splash, wonder if B&W might help as I find the blue of the bottle and the red reflected in it a bit of a distraction? As well as the greenyness on the water in the glass.....

Plenty - You ain't wrong with this heat !!!, I like the composition of your shot and think you have caught the pour nicely

The colours are not too much of an issue for me but I would certainly be interested to see a B & W version to compare :)

Here's a black and white version.

Plenty2 by Allieowen, on Flickr

Rock reshoot: 100 times better. :clap:

Shape: I :love: this, simple composition with great colours and POV - even numbers too! (would have been good for 'pair' as well)

Plenty: B&W has a much better feel IMHO. Top marks (y)

I prefer the B+W version works much better don't know why the colour didn't, really nice idea though :clap:

Hi, Rock reshoot works for me. Well exposed and nice contrast between the spiral and the grain in the wood.

Shape reshoot is nice, but I'd prefer just 3 pegs...for some reason, odd numbers work better in photography :thinking:

B&W Plenty for me. A bit more drama in the splash would be good.

Cheers.

Wow Allie, I've a lot of commenting to do!

Movement... tick's the theme box, but as said probably not the shot you wanted.

Below reshoot cloned is an excellent shot, busy but I like it a lot. Great colours and that gesture and eye contact really makes it.

Rock: doesn't work for me; not enough of the salt is in focus. I did like the reshoot though (can't see it on this page for any more detailed comment).

Pair of glasses, like the colour treatment and the shot generally, and the double enendre even if unintended. More comments to come...

Rock reshoot: very nice indeed. I like it off centre like that. There are some odd marks on the background that are a bit distracting.

Shape: very courful and strong shapes, nicely arrayed.

Plenty: I rather liked the colour version more, as the oddness of the colours really adds to it, whereas the BW version is just a bit more ordinary. Amazing you can catch the drops like that!

Very nice shot freezing the water for Plenty. I personally prefer the original coloured one.

Excellent idea on the rock theme, an excellent photograph to go with it as well.

For shape, I'm sorry I can't relate to that theme from the photo, but the photo itself is ace.

Had a little chuckle at your pair shot, nice treatment. I prefer the black and white version of plenty too

Hi Alison

Rock - on theme and good contrast between salt and wood.

Shapes - I like that idea - really good colour and separation from the b/g. I note what others say abut the odd/ even debate and I usually go for the odd, but in this case I think that it works. Maybe it is the angle and the way that they relate to each other.

Plenty - I prefer the colour. The b&w lacks impact I feel. I think that if the b/g was a really bight white and the top of the glass sorted out, it would be a really good shot.

Rock reshoot works well, the salt against the wood looks great, and the colours and DOF in shape make for a cracking image.

The colour version of plenty works best for me, I like the colours in the bottle.

Plenty - I actually quite like the colour coming through on the bottle! :) If it was me, I'd perhaps have a bash at a third - keeping the colour bottle, but applying the B&W to everything else? Bit of cloning / sharpening around the glass and you'd have a cracking image there I reckon! (y)

Week 29 - Speed

Well after 2 hours sleep I was woken by others in the house who were scared of the thunder & lightning. They all went back to sleep and I've been wide awake since. So not one to miss out on trying something new, I grabbed my camera and had a go a capturing lightning bolts.
So "FAST AS LIGHTNING " here is a couple of shots.

IMG_3897 by Allieowen, on Flickr

IMG_3904 by Allieowen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow! I had a similar idea to get my camera out but I haven't any good vistas from my house and I wasn't going outside! how many did you shoot to get these?

I can't decide if I like the duotone look on these or not. Small point, not a criticism.

Hi Brian, I took about 30 shots only 4 of which caught the lightning. I was in the garden with a towel over me and the camera.i havnt really done done too much in pp just darkened my white door frame as it was distracting. Will post up the out of camera shots.

Hey allie - they are super, love the first, second has better lightning, but in the wrong place in the frame, (not your fault. :LOL:)

Wondered if it would be possible to blend them both into one... I had a quick go (5 mins) and it looks like it could work. I tried a few ways, different blend modes (lighten and pin light worked best, also changing the blend options to "blend if", and changing the sliders up towards the 255 end of the scale. But think I simply went with overlaying them, lining up/ resizing, and then brushing in the parts of each I wanted with a layer mask!"

See what I came up with here

Needs tidying round the bush and the lantern.......

Thanks Graham, I didn't think of blending them together. It would have taken me ages to do mind you, as I need to study photoshop a lot more than I do. I usually watch a utube video when I know what I want to do and try follow along.

You have done a great job, I will at some time try and put the photo's together and see if I can do as good a job as you.

Thanks Alan - I did want to head out to a larger open space but decided to stay put as it was my first attempt, and wasn't sure I'd manage to capture anything.

Hi Alison
the first one is great, never tried to do this but I imagine it is pretty hard
:clap:

I was guessing when the lightning would strike and got lucky a couple of times. Ive been told since that a long exposure is best, up to minutes. So roll on the next storm

Back