Any motorcyclists here....?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering if there's any/many motorcyclists here on this forum...? I adore bikes and for nearly three years was an apprentice motorcycle mechanic in the late 1970's for a large Honda dealership in Belfast, great experience.....! It's stuck with me all those years as I keep my Suzuki steed as clean as a whistle, meticulous about a moist chain and proper tension etc..........I'm quite sad I know.

I myself have been riding bikes for around 35yrs + and still doing it, I've had many (many) bikes since the age of 18, I presently own a 2008 model Suzuki V-Strom DL1000GT which I bought new and still own it, it ticks all the boxes and comfortable and great for touring two up. I've been through the sports bike stage.......... thank goodness it's over as its so easy to go so fast, very addictive to be honest.

Would love to hear any experiences from any other keen motorcycle enthusiasts and what you ride etc, appreciated.
I must upload a photo of my bike whenever I get a chance...........now got it uploaded.

Thanks;
Peter
Central Scotland

Last edited:
1 x Triumph Speedmaster (08 plate) and 1 x Royal Enfield Bullet Electra (10 plate). Been riding for about the same length of time, on and off, at times through necessity (all I could afford) and now purely for fun. RE going in for MOT tomorrow.

been riding since 2012, its a Yamaha YBR 125 so I shall bow out of this thread :exit:

I do love it though and have no desire to move up, even last week when I rode 130 miles to Mablethorpe I wasn't pining for something meatier.. most of the time its around the city riding so nothing more needed.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I had an advert on my Facebook last night for a Harley, and I joked with the wife, I might buy one of those with my pension, I'd be the right age :) It'd certainly be cheaper than the motorhome we intend buying

I had a Yamaha RD 250, nearly 40 years ago. I wrapped it round a lamp post and wrote it off, it was due entirely to my inexperience, luckily I walked away unharmed. In those days you could ride a bike up to a 250cc without any sort of training at all and if I recall correctly you could continue to ride it indefinitely on just a provisional licence. Despite my bad experience I have found myself wistfully thinking about owning another and riding off into the sunset :)

Last edited:
been riding since 2012, its a Yamaha YBR 125 so I shall bow out of this thread :exit:

I do love it though and have no desire to move up, even last week when I rode 130 miles to Mablethorpe was I pining for something meatier.. most of the time its around the city riding so nothing more needed.

No reason to bow out because you feel your tool's inadequate! In fact, it's almost certainly faster than my Enfield, even though that's 4x the capacity!!!

Oddly enough I had an advert on my Facebook last night for a Harley, and I joked with the wife, I might buy one of those with my pension, I'd be the right age :)

I had a Yamaha RD 250, nearly 40 years ago. I wrapped it round a lamp post and wrote it off, it was due entirely to my inexperience, luckily I walked away unharmed. In those days you could ride a bike up to a 250cc without any sort of training at all and if I recall correctly you could continue to ride it indefinitely on just a provisional licence. Despite my bad experience I have found myself wistfully thinking about owning another and riding off into the sunset :)

The slightly later LCs could be rebuilt as 350s on 250 cases and ridden (illegally but indistinguishably) on L plates. My first "real" bike (as opposed to moped) riding excursions were on just such a machine - great fun but rather silly in hindsight!

Strangely enough yes. Been riding bikes for a long time, mostly as transport so all have high mileage before I get rid, usually 100k-120k miles. Current is a Kawasaki ZZR1200, brilliant bike, just shy of 90k miles

Honda CB50nj
Honda cb250na superdream
Honda cb900f
Kawasaki 1100 zephyr
Yamaha xvz1300 royal star
Honda CBX1000
Ducati monster 600
Honda vfr750
BMW f650 funduro
Kawasaki zx636 ninja
Ducati 996
Triumph legend 900

Still got a 1980 superdream in the garage :)

Does it count, if you do not currently own a bike? I sold my Bike a few years ago, due to both lack of storage, and use. I think we did a bike thing a few years ago, and some of us posted photos of our bikes.

I'm lucky enough to have a Triumph Tiger 800 for commuting and a R1200GSA for weekends/holidays. Can't imagine not having a bike.

Had a 'few' bikes over the years, presently have an early 80s Guzzi V50 say in the garden, and our son has a cafe racer V50 tucked away for when he gets back from working abroad.

Cold%20winter%20Guzzi-1367_zpsug0bvhjx.jpg

4th July 050.jpg View attachment 70231 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide 100th Anniversary Model. Had it from new. Chopped it a bit, added bits. Hasn't been out at all this year.........don't seem to have the time these days:(

Last edited:
Harley Fat Bob for me, a few bits added like V&H big radius pipes, high flow intake and detachable sissy bar, otherwise I couldn't get the g/f on the back :)
I also have an 851 Ducati and 900SL Ducati, but they don't really get ridden much now days.
I need something a bit calmer to ride now, absolutely love the Harley though.
15222-1462480423-bfc9a794219f45aef80bc7fc2dd52792.jpg

Last edited:
Harley Fat Bob for me, a few bits added like V&H big radius pipes, high flow intake and detachable sissy bar, otherwise I couldn't get the g/f on the back :)
I also have an 851 Ducati and 900SL Ducati, but they don't really get ridden much now days.
I need something a bit calmer to ride now, absolutely love the Harley though.
15222-1462480423-bfc9a794219f45aef80bc7fc2dd52792.jpg

Like the pipes Keith. fancied V&H but after all the other changes (rebore 1450 to 1550 ) lower progressive shocks, cam, carb and air filter change and OH I almost forgot the corbin seat (which her indoors wasn't impressed with:D + all the extra chrome, the screaming eagles stayed. They sound great not as good as the V&H though

Tiger 90 350cc Sports Twin prob early 1960's --- upgraded from a Tiger Cub ....:)

should never have sold it....:(

then, in my later years - Honda 550/4 classic.!

(not my pic)
happy days

Been a motorcyclist for twenty years. The first bike I ever owned was riden from the dealership exactly one hour after passing my test and I still have the same model of bike now!! I've covered about 150k miles on the same model (albeit I'm on my 5th incarnation) and travelled with my wife and luggage as far afield as Austria, Corsica & Sardinia, including all the usual Alpine passes. In my heyday, I could typically embarrass most sportsbikes on twisty roads, even with my wife on the back, but now that my bike usage is down to about 10% of what it once was, I'm no longer as capable (or brave). I looked at the old girl in the garage today and I still love the bike as much as I did when I first got on my first one. I doubt there are many who have remained faithful to only one model of machine since the very day they passed their test.

I wonder if anyone would care to guess what it is......:)

Been a motorcyclist for twenty years. The first bike I ever owned was riden from the dealership exactly one hour after passing my test and I still have the same model of bike now!! I've covered about 150k miles on the same model (albeit I'm on my 5th incarnation) and travelled with my wife and luggage as far afield as Austria, Corsica & Sardinia, including all the usual Alpine passes. In my heyday, I could typically embarrass most sportsbikes on twisty roads, even with my wife on the back, but now that my bike usage is down to about 10% of what it once was, I'm no longer as capable (or brave). I looked at the old girl in the garage today and I still love the bike as much as I did when I first got on my first one. I doubt there are many who have remained faithful to only one model of machine since the very day they passed their test.

I wonder if anyone would care to guess what it is......:)

Honda Gold Wing

Well I've always had something on two wheels since 1956......now using something I can handle i.e. Honda 250 rebel

Honda Gold Wing

Close (ish), but no cigar. :p

All the guys at the Honda dealership were lined up at the front door when I departed on my first Pan with my test pass certificate in hand. Apparently, there was a sweepstake going about how far I'd get before dropping it. One hundred and seventy miles later that afternoon, I think I won!!!

16047-1469828826-08702831033ef88ddadf91a7ba51386c.jpg

I can honestly say, without exception, it's the best bike I've ever owned!! :D

Nice Bike! I thought down the line of honda as they were very reliable and due to the amount of miles that you have covered it seemed the obvious guess

It's wonderful to read all the replies here, loving the photo's also, keep them coming one and all. Cheers... Appreciated.

I took out a Suzuki Burgman 400cc (big) scooter last year on a test-ride and really loved it, very comfortable and the 'twist n' go' is simply marvellous, so easy to ride, I'd so love one as a second bike to tootle around on. When our a European 2wk bike trip a few years ago we spotted MANY big scooters touring Europe, so versatile to be honest.

I must try put up a list of all the bikes that I've owned over the past 35+ yrs, I'd need to take time and think about it.....lol.

I see that 'Bobsyeruncle' (Robert) above had a CBX1000, wow, I so love them, a straight six......amazing styling, these first came out in 1978 when I was a Honda motorcycle mechanic in Belfast, I still adore them in every way!

So many bikes --- so little money......haha

Last edited:
It's wonderful to read all the replies here, loving the photo's also, keep them coming one and all. Cheers... Appreciated.

I took out a Suzuki Burgman 400cc (big) scooter last year on a test-ride and really loved it, very comfortable and the 'twist n' go' is simply marvellous, so easy to ride, I'd so love one as a second bike to tootle around on. When our a European 2wk bike trip a few years ago we spotted MANY big scooters touring Europe, so versatile to be honest.

I must try put up a list of all the bikes that I've owned over the past 35+ yrs, I'd need to take time and think about it.....lol.

I see that 'Bobsyeruncle' (Robert) above had a CBX1000, wow, I so love them, a straight six......amazing styling, these first came out in 1978 when I was a Honda motorcycle mechanic in Belfast, I still adore them in every way!

So many bikes --- so little money......haha

My Trusty steed is in its stable and has not been out since last year (SHAME on ME)(NO MOT)

Peter, Your post has fired up my pistons so much so that I'm determined to get the MOT on my baby (which should fly through) and get out and ride :cool: Thank you!

Last edited:
Tiger 90 350cc Sports Twin prob early 1960's --- upgraded from a Tiger Cub ....:)

(not my pic)
happy days

Love some of the old vintage bikes which seem to becoming very popular just now. There are a few around my area with a few of the owners dressing from that era. Looks Cool:cool:

Nice Bike! I thought down the line of honda as they were very reliable and due to the amount of miles that you have covered it seemed the obvious guess

So my current is a 03 Kawasaki ZZR1200 with 90K miles on it. Had it for ten years/
Before that I had a ZZR600 which covered 110K miles, had that about 8-9 years
Before that I had a GPZ500s which covered 120K miles, had that about 8-9 years
Before that a Honda superdream that had about 80k miles on it in 6 years, but the engine was rebuilt 3 times, including casings

I chose the kawasaki's as the seat was lower, being only 5'7" but I do like their engines and longevity

Started with Suzuki's gs500, then an rf900. Then swapped to Yamaha for a while until my Fazer was stolen. I just recently sold my Suzuki gsx750 as it wasn't getting any use (and my wife isn't very keen on bikes). But our office is moving back into town, so I've been thinking about picking another bike up for the commute.

I have a Harley Softail Slim. Also got a Sportster.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1469865494584.jpg
    FB_IMG_1469865494584.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 23
Started off on Kawasaki GPZ1100 20 years ago, then a Bandit 600, ZZR1100, Suzuki TL1000R and now a Kawasaki ZX12R

I started riding back in the 70's. Had a BSA Bantam, a Royal Enfield Crusader and a Velocette Venom. Then I had a smidsy with the archetypal little old lady in a Morris Minor which smashed up the Venom (and me!). I got the Venom repaired, sold it, gave up biking at that point and bought a car.

Roll on nearly 40 years and I had a hankering to get back on a proper bike (I'd had a twist'n'go scooter in the meantime for commuting). I got a Honda VFR800 in 2010. It scared the bejaysus out of me at first, I'd got no inkling of how much bike technology had moved on really....150mph from an 800???!!! The VFR lasted a year before I realised I'm too old for a sports bike and the riding position was killing my back, so I part ex'd it for my current Honda CBF1000. Ok, this is an old geezer's bike but it suits me down to the ground... reliable, very comfortable, effortless grunt and plenty enough acceleration for me.

Mid eighties start for me, current garage is Suzuki bking, second gen Yamaha vmax, Honda blackbird, Triumph explorer, KTM 625 super comp lc4.
And a vstrom 650 and sv650 for swmbo.
Prob going to sell the blackbird as explorer much better for my shoulder on long runs these days.
Could not imagine not having a bike, would keep the bking and vmax purely as art to look at should the ability to ride ever go from me....

(not my pic)
happy days

Didn't buy my T90 new (I was only 3yrs old when it was registered) and was a year newer than yours on a "B" reg. Should have kept mine too
IMG_20160506_085606.jpg

Last edited:
.... Should have kept mine too................

nice...what happened to the skirt/rear shocks..?
well you can always buy another......:)

''....The motorcycle has been owned for many years having been restored with no expense spared
.It is oil tight and in showroom condition, with no issues whatsoever.
For sale @ £5,500.00...''

nice...what happened to the skirt/rear shocks..?
They did away with the skirt in the model year I had and introduced other minor mods too. The shocks I changed to hagon units when I rebuilt the bike which I bought as a ratty runner.
I rebuilt the bike again after it was damaged in a smidsy and changed the tank colour and fitted a 7" front brake from the 650 and had it skimmed and brake shoes matched to the drum. What a difference that made!!

Would love to have another but not at the money they fetch now.
I have restricted movement in my right leg now following an accident on my street triple so couldn't kick start one anyway; I also can't get my right foot on normal mid footrests and need forward pegs so would have to get a cruiser style bike.
(Sighs....)

Quite a few Harley owners. Mid-life crisis? :D
Ridden a few in the states, kinda make sense there in the sunshine, never really fancied one here

but then you see the vrod customs, different exhaust, low bars
http://imgur.com/gallery/JvD5D

Back