weekly Bernd's 52 in 2018 - week 21/22: hard/creatures

Your over image is similar to something I had in mind .... I was thinking of taking a picture of a cricket green, almost every village around me has one .... :)

Your over image is similar to something I had in mind .... I was thinking of taking a picture of a cricket green, almost every village around me has one .... :)
Thank you! Great minds and all that... unfortunately cricket is rather a summer sport...

Very lateral thinking there Bernd ;)
Thanks Ian!

Week 3 - Stark - The best camera is the one you have with you and the mobile is today's box brownie. It still takes imagination and thought to get a good shot though and
that you have done.

Week 4 - Over - Lateral ? Is there any other way to think? Nice long exposure, good job the tree branches did not move too much.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing around 1 in 7 each week. You hit lucky again ;)

Very clever move for Over B, I did think of the cricket aspect but didnt find a connection, well done.

Hi Bernd
nice to see you have your 4 weeks in already, well done to you on all of them, I particularly like the stark shot, nice and crisp with well defined contrast and the tower block looks great against the gloomy sky.

love your take on the over theme as well, bet we don't see many "lateral" takes on that theme.

Clever take on the theme and I like the crop. I might have cropped the top a bit less to leave the tops on the trees but that's just me

Good bit of thinking, good point above about the top of the trees cricket never even crossed my mind

Hi Bernd

Was that theme for the English team over in Ausland and the ashes.

Nice contrast in the image, did you take the image through glass as I can see reflections of cars.

Pete

Week 3 - Stark - The best camera is the one you have with you and the mobile is today's box brownie. It still takes imagination and thought to get a good shot though and
that you have done.

Week 4 - Over - Lateral ? Is there any other way to think? Nice long exposure, good job the tree branches did not move too much.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing around 1 in 7 each week. You hit lucky again ;)
Thank you David!

Very clever move for Over B, I did think of the cricket aspect but didnt find a connection, well done.
Thanks Mark!

Hi Bernd
nice to see you have your 4 weeks in already, well done to you on all of them, I particularly like the stark shot, nice and crisp with well defined contrast and the tower block looks great against the gloomy sky.

love your take on the over theme as well, bet we don't see many "lateral" takes on that theme.
Cheers Paul!

Over at the Oval, good shot Bernd good choice for mono too, good use of the slow ss to blur the traffic.
Thanks Dave!

Clever take on the theme and I like the crop. I might have cropped the top a bit less to leave the tops on the trees but that's just me
Thank you! I agree, I should have cropped a tiny bit less and kept the tops of the trees in the frame.

Good bit of thinking, good point above about the top of the trees cricket never even crossed my mind
Thanks Allan!

Hi Bernd

Was that theme for the English team over in Ausland and the ashes.

Nice contrast in the image, did you take the image through glass as I can see reflections of cars.
Thank you Pete! I'm half Australian by marriage, so I'm happy whoever wins... The photo was taken with a very slow shutter speed, hence the ghost cars.

Cricket was one of my first thoughts, but I put it aside due to the season not starting for ages.
Thus, cleverly done thinking of a way to do it :)
I have to say, I wouldn't have considered doing a B&W, as crticket always makes me think of colours, but I do think it works.

I may have gone for image merge/averaging rather a slow shutter to remove the cars, but only because I want an excuse to try it ;)

Over shot works for me Sir, your lateral thinking has really worked well.(y)

George.

Stark - the tower block works well and the dark figures in the foreground add to it
Over - lateral thinking or shoehorn either way good shot I quite like the ghost cars from the reflection

Liking the lateral thinking, very clever. It suits the B&W conversion and I agree the sky is a stand out feature :)

Cricket was one of my first thoughts, but I put it aside due to the season not starting for ages.
Thus, cleverly done thinking of a way to do it :)
I have to say, I wouldn't have considered doing a B&W, as crticket always makes me think of colours, but I do think it works.

I may have gone for image merge/averaging rather a slow shutter to remove the cars, but only because I want an excuse to try it ;)
Thank you Tim!

Over shot works for me Sir, your lateral thinking has really worked well.(y)
Cheers George!

Groanworthy lateral thinking ... but nice shot. :D
Thanks David!

Stark - the tower block works well and the dark figures in the foreground add to it
Over - lateral thinking or shoehorn either way good shot I quite like the ghost cars from the reflection
Thank you Alison!

Brilliantly thought out idea love the B&W conversion
Cheers Mark!

Like the shot of the Oval, the sky in particular is very nice.
Thanks Lee!

Liking the lateral thinking, very clever. It suits the B&W conversion and I agree the sky is a stand out feature :)
Thank you for commenting!

Over - as most of the others have said a very clever take on the theme, and a good nice long exposure.
Thank you Mandy!

That tall building against the sky is definitely stark, both in terms of modern(ish) city architecture and also contrast, and I do like the added foreground details of the dark figures and especially the reflections on the wet pavement. It ticks lots of boxes for me and works very well.
I'm not sure - as someone else has said - whether it's lateral thinking or a shoehorn but Over/Oval is a fine image :) The crop and B&W conversion are perfect and I like the slightly eerie sky and hint of vehicles.

Hahaaa what a great idea for the theme Bernd Liking the letterbox crop and the ghostly cars and clouds, it has a real eerie feel to the processing that I like (y)
Thanks Dean!

That tall building against the sky is definitely stark, both in terms of modern(ish) city architecture and also contrast, and I do like the added foreground details of the dark figures and especially the reflections on the wet pavement. It ticks lots of boxes for me and works very well.
I'm not sure - as someone else has said - whether it's lateral thinking or a shoehorn but Over/Oval is a fine image :) The crop and B&W conversion are perfect and I like the slightly eerie sky and hint of vehicles.
Thank you Andrea!

I was fairly busy over the last few days, so I'm lagging a bit behind with commenting...

But I happen to have shot a photo today (for another themed challenge) that fits this week's brief. And as @Cobra has been very early with posting the theme, I didn't even jump the gun!

week 6: sharp

by Bernd, on Flickr

I was fairly busy over the last few days, so I'm lagging a bit behind with commenting...

But I happen to have shot a photo today (for another themed challenge) that fits this week's brief. And as @Cobra has been very early with posting the theme, I didn't even jump the gun!

by Bernd, on Flickr

Your Sharp shot is bang on theme Sir, well composed, and works really well with the mono presentation.(y)

George

Great shots for the last two weeks Bernd, love the contrast in the Sharp image!

:agree: ... really makes it ... the light on the sharp edge. :clap:

Last edited:
Age ..... artificial mould? They make it in 5 minutes these days. :exit:

Quick off the mark with sharp, on my monitor it could perhaps do with just a little more light on the side of blade because I couldn't quite work out what I was looking at at first but the highlight on the knife edge is perfect and I like the menace provided by the hand, it is ideal for the theme

Great shot for Sharp, like the menace as Chris pointed out.

Nice sharp image Bernd - agree with @sirch in that it needs maybe a bit more light, but cracking image, and great to already have it as soon as the theme came up

Age - what is it?

Question. Is week 5 ...... Cheese?

Week 6

Like it. Nice in b+w and it does look sharp.
Thank you Ross! Yes, week 5 is a well aged and smelly roquefort.

Your Sharp shot is bang on theme Sir, well composed, and works really well with the mono presentation.(y)
Cheers George!

Great shots for the last two weeks Bernd, love the contrast in the Sharp image!
Thanks Daniel!

Nice shot for sharp caught the edge of the blade perfectly
Thank you Allan!

:agree: ... really makes it ... the light on the sharp edge. :clap:

Age ..... artificial mould? They make it in 5 minutes these days. :exit:
Thanks David! It's mouldy cheese...

Great shot for sharp, it has a slightly threatening edge to it.
Cheers Lee!

Quick off the mark with sharp, on my monitor it could perhaps do with just a little more light on the side of blade because I couldn't quite work out what I was looking at at first but the highlight on the knife edge is perfect and I like the menace provided by the hand, it is ideal for the theme
Thank you Chris! I had difficulties to get the right amount of light on the side of the blade using a flash, so I'll say it's a deliberate choice :)

Great shot for Sharp, like the menace as Chris pointed out.
Thanks Roger!

As has been said, a great image for sharp that goes well in mono.
Thank you Dave!

Bernd great shot for sharp, love the processing and compo (y)
Thanks Nigel!

Nice sharp image Bernd - agree with @sirch in that it needs maybe a bit more light, but cracking image, and great to already have it as soon as the theme came up

Age - what is it?
Thank you Ian! Age is cheese :)

Back