Big Earl's TP 52 2016 Thread - 23 Topics in 24 Hours. Finally I can sleep easy...

Phew! quite a catch-up there. Stand-out shots for me are:

Sign for the excellent lighting and idea
Living World: First one for all the frame-filling action and engagement
Cultural: All three are great, with probably #1 edging it for all the colour and vibrancy of the scene.
Personal: #4 of the second set posted for me. I know it's a shot of the rear of the car but I think it works for me because it shows space at the front for the car to move into.... if that makes sense.

Great catch-up. :clap:

There is so much in the photo of the cathedral, its perfect with Cultural. Very interesting indeed.(y)

If that's not British sign language for photo, then it ought to be. Nicely done.

Love the cattle, second one with more faces.

Forth Bridge is a beaut, classic use of wide angle lens, love it.

And the boot in front of the lens gives a nice wide feel, #1 I like but not B&W!

The BMW … head on for me.

Cultural … the Ghana shots are great but the piper is best, proper use of DOF.

Next batch, been busy back at work and a few personal matter... gonna be VERY tough getting these finished. Still I'm not giving up!

Week 45 - Pose

Week 35 - Black and White

Week 22 - Forgotten

Week 23 - Stone

Week 4 - Happy

Probably get a few up I have taken the last couple of days to cover some more topics...

Cheers
Earl

Week 17 - Rough

Not sure if this will make sense to the majority, but the platform is called the Rough (bit of a cheat I know)

Cheers
Earl

Week 44 - Spooky

Really not happy with this shot but I have been struggling for this over the last few weeks. It makes me laugh looking back at the first shots I was taking when I originally got into photography with an SLR, and wow - 1/8000 second seems a bit strange at ISO 720. especially for something moving this slow.

The one really good night for it, loads of freezing fog, I decided to get p*ssed so couldn't go out.

Last edited:
Massive catch up there Earl, Kudos (y)

My word, that's some catch-up and right on the last knockings of the 2016 TP52. All very good but my faves are:
Forgotten: Excellent framing and a very nice pano
Stone: That makes a fabulous abstract - well lit to give that detail in the stonework and retain the sky
Spooky: Always fascinated by derelicts and this one suggests history

My word, that's some catch-up and right on the last knockings of the 2016 TP52. All very good but my faves are:
Forgotten: Excellent framing and a very nice pano
Stone: That makes a fabulous abstract - well lit to give that detail in the stonework and retain the sky
Spooky: Always fascinated by derelicts and this one suggests history

It really was spooky. Went back at night and didn't dare go in. Looked way too unsafe. Would be good to know the history behind it. It was up in Shetland and looked like it had been stood there for a long long time. Hard to tell from the pic but it looked very manor-esque (exscuse my poor architectural knowledge) so probably had a god story behind it.

Cheers for the comments.

Earl

Some great photos and a great catch-up! A few outstanding ones are:
- stone: love the PoV and the perfect exposure. Might do with a square crop to make it even more symmetric.
- arranged: great symmetry, great DoF, and great catch with all but one person in holding back.
- spooky: great find for the theme, well composed, although maybe you could have avoided cutting the shed in the back in half...

Blimey, quite a number to comment on there...

Spooky - It does look abandoned, and the processing you've given it does seem to impact an eerie feel to it. it has an HDR feel to it. Is it?
Rough - Far less of a shoe horn than a lot of us use, so don't worry about it not being on theme. I like the colours against the blue. I think I would have cloned out the edge of the platform that's encroaching bottom left. I would have thought it an easy task for a content aware fill.
Arrange - Interesting image. It could do with being symmetrical I feel though.
Out & About - From the same shoot as Arrange? You've captured plenty of detail and avoided motion blur. ISO 4000 :) Did you need much NR on the image? If not, then that's damn impressive for a crop.
Liquid - On theme, but I can't help feeling that the chap on the right of the image is really the subject. I think because the bottom of the bottles have been cut off. Whilst I know what you were trying for (the bottles), it has the feel of a missed focus shot.
Happy - She does look happy indeed. Composition could do with some work I'm afraid, the top of the cake stand cutting across her face takes away from teh end image. If you had been able to move a stpe or two too your right, you could probably have framed her face within the cake stand.
Stone - This is a stand out abstract shot. Me Like :)
Forgotten - It certainly sells forgotten. I think it needs a black point though, it looks a little washed out.
Black & White - Great capture of expression and very detailed (y)
Pose - Lovely expression, a shame her eyes are closed.

Keep up the good work :)

Some stunning shots in your catch up, well done got taking on the challenge and getting stuck in.
Thanks - Been busy christmassing so I have just today left!

Some great photos and a great catch-up! A few outstanding ones are:
- stone: love the PoV and the perfect exposure. Might do with a square crop to make it even more symmetric.
- arranged: great symmetry, great DoF, and great catch with all but one person in holding back.
- spooky: great find for the theme, well composed, although maybe you could have avoided cutting the shed in the back in half...
Thanks for the positive comments - spooky was taken a while ago when I first starting taking a more technical approach to photography over just pointing and shooting, so it's by no means my best. I just compensated but over doing the processing to allow for the topic spooky to be covered (was struggling)

Blimey, quite a number to comment on there...

Spooky - It does look abandoned, and the processing you've given it does seem to impact an eerie feel to it. it has an HDR feel to it. Is it?
Rough - Far less of a shoe horn than a lot of us use, so don't worry about it not being on theme. I like the colours against the blue. I think I would have cloned out the edge of the platform that's encroaching bottom left. I would have thought it an easy task for a content aware fill.
Arrange - Interesting image. It could do with being symmetrical I feel though.
Out & About - From the same shoot as Arrange? You've captured plenty of detail and avoided motion blur. ISO 4000 :) Did you need much NR on the image? If not, then that's damn impressive for a crop.
Liquid - On theme, but I can't help feeling that the chap on the right of the image is really the subject. I think because the bottom of the bottles have been cut off. Whilst I know what you were trying for (the bottles), it has the feel of a missed focus shot.
Happy - She does look happy indeed. Composition could do with some work I'm afraid, the top of the cake stand cutting across her face takes away from teh end image. If you had been able to move a stpe or two too your right, you could probably have framed her face within the cake stand.
Stone - This is a stand out abstract shot. Me Like :)
Forgotten - It certainly sells forgotten. I think it needs a black point though, it looks a little washed out.
Black & White - Great capture of expression and very detailed (y)
Pose - Lovely expression, a shame her eyes are closed.

Keep up the good work :)

1 - HDR Yeah :)
2 - Content aware cloning (or any cloning other than spot removal) isn't something I have used, so it never really crosses my mind. might take some shots for practicing it, or find some that would be easier that I already have.
3 - In position, or of the subject? I know I am ever so slightly off center in the image, and hoped no one would notice but with the UWA everything is emphasized.
4 - Yeah, minimal noise reduction I am incredibly confident using the D750 up to ISO6400 without thinking about noise in this case all the important stuff was well lit too, I actually don't think I cropped it - edits in Capture One seem to have disappeared (always handy..) If anything it may have been a slight rotation.
5 - I can see your point - should have gone for a shot of a waterfall or something :p
6 - Point and shoot moment, I sometimes get a bit self-conscious whipping out the D750+24-70 in places so I tend to for an "in and out" approach.
7 - Thankyou
8 - CPL would have given the shot a much better feel I reckon.
9 - Thanks
10 - She would kill me if she knew I had done this...

Wow - what a catch up! It's very hard to pick favourites - but I love the energy in pose, the character in black and white, the composition of stone and forgotten and the vibrancy of arrange. Looking forward to seeing more! (y)
Thanks - 1 day. loads of topics.. 5 hours or daylight left...

Thanks for all your comments
Earl

Four really good images .
Artificial: Excellent choice with a man-made box trying to be part of the natural world.
Dangerous: It certainly looks dangerous. I find the oof handdrail in the fg quite distracting though.
Game: My fave of the set - excellent detail and colour ... setting the birds against a plain white bg gives it an almost abstract feel.
Alien: Beautiful vibrant colours and texture. What is it ... looks to me like a running tap splashing into a glass tank.

A selection of images I couldn't really choose from for urban. Please let me know your favorite - both in general and for the topic.

Four really good images .
Artificial: Excellent choice with a man-made box trying to be part of the natural world.
Dangerous: It certainly looks dangerous. I find the oof handdrail in the fg quite distracting though.
Game: My fave of the set - excellent detail and colour ... setting the birds against a plain white bg gives it an almost abstract feel.
Alien: Beautiful vibrant colours and texture. What is it ... looks to me like a running tap splashing into a glass tank.

It is the reflection of the swings at the Edinburgh christmas market on the wet pavement :D

Edit: As seen here
Edinburgh-Christmas-Market.jpeg

Last edited:
Week 18 - Covered
Complete copout I know but give me the benefit of the doubt, im down to a few hours remaining :D

Week 47 - Young

And its now older self (note this was just a handheld test shot, only uploaded to show the difference of just over 12 months)

Last edited:
Quite a selection for Urban - can understand your indecision as all have something to offer. I quite like the guys climbing the steps for the handrail lead-in and the perspective, the cyclist stopped in the main street mainly for the facial expression and Scribbler for the wide-ranging activities outside one small shop. Activity #2 even though missing the sparks, it offers more engagement for the viewer I feel. Excellent POV for Big, lovely starbursts for Young and an iconic nighttime shot for After.

Quite a selection for Urban - can understand your indecision as all have something to offer. I quite like the guys climbing the steps for the handrail lead-in and the perspective, the cyclist stopped in the main street mainly for the facial expression and Scribbler for the wide-ranging activities outside one small shop. Activity #2 even though missing the sparks, it offers more engagement for the viewer I feel. Excellent POV for Big, lovely starbursts for Young and an iconic nighttime shot for After.

I haven't seen your thread before now, but having seen the mega catch-up in the pictures thread just wanted to say well done on such a varied and well executed range of interesting subjects. I really enjoyed viewing them :)

Wow !!! another big batch of images, again all very detailed, great focus and oooooh so sharp, I love the tree roots for covered !!! - I'm going to love your next 52 when you are doing one week at a time :clap:

Thank you thank you, more to come! They have entered the realm of slightly lazy/farfetched to try and get them all in...enjoyable nontheless. And it all starts again tomorrow! :eek:

Editing my final images now!

Speak soon.

Earl

It has certainly been a frantic end to the year!!!

Week 14 - Technology, Leica GNSS Kit.

Week 24 - Simple

Week 26 - Flora

And of course its rightful resting place.

Back