weekly blakester's 52 for 2012, Week 52 "Busy (Beach Party)" Post 1215 FINISHED

Two really clever shots, Iain.

I love the reflections on the medals. The only criticism I would have is the smeary bit on the background on the left that I find a bit off-putting (or is it my screen?). Otherwise, it is an excellent shot and fits the theme perfectly.

As usual your model shots are not only well presented but a very clever take on the theme. Love them :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Two really clever shots, Iain.

I love the reflections on the medals. The only criticism I would have is the smeary bit on the background on the left that I find a bit off-putting (or is it my screen?). Otherwise, it is an excellent shot and fits the theme perfectly.

As usual your model shots are not only well presented but a very clever take on the theme. Love them :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Thanks Jenny, I took this photograph outside this morning. The glass that the medals are sitting on is reflecting the sky/clouds, that may be what you can see on the left. I considered a tighter crop but decided not to in the end as i like the texture to the reflection (IYSWIM).

The model shots were taken in the field to the rear of my house, a woman from the village walked by with her dog and gave me some funny looks :LOL:

Thanks again for looking/commenting Jenny

hi Iain

Proud - on theme and well composed and well shot. I too can see the left hand a bit smeary but i would not crop it away as that would spoil the composition.

Good colours, good reflections.(y)

Short - brilliant. Good story and all told in only 6 shots. Not sure what that thing in the right background is and may have been better without. But last shot is perfect. Good poses, good colours. A really cheerful piece of work.:)

hi Iain

Proud - on theme and well composed and well shot. I too can see the left hand a bit smeary but i would not crop it away as that would spoil the composition.

Good colours, good reflections.(y)

Short - brilliant. Good story and all told in only 6 shots. Not sure what that thing in the right background is and may have been better without. But last shot is perfect. Good poses, good colours. A really cheerful piece of work.:)

Thanks Alan, as above, the smeary bit i think is the clouds reflected. I agree, I didn't want to crop the image any tighter.

Cheers for the comments on short (y)
It is a fence in the right background. This log has been placed at the top of the field for people to sit a while, it is very close to the fence. I moved around as far as I could but the fence is still in. It doesn't bother me too much as it is oof but I can see where you are coming from with it.
Short is not a serious image, a bit of fun, I am glad you mentioned about it being cheerful, that was how I had hoped it would be viewed.

Pride...like it. Always a sucker for a photograph with narrative. The reflections are great and very detailed/sharp. I really like the warm colours on the LH medal.

Short...very good :clap: Great storyboard, well laid out and #2 made me giggle. Pity about the sky in #5 and I think I'd like to see a fatherly (if it is father and son) arm around the son's shoulder.

Overall, cracking set.

Cheers.

Pride...like it. Always a sucker for a photograph with narrative. The reflections are great and very detailed/sharp. I really like the warm colours on the LH medal.

Short...very good :clap: Great storyboard, well laid out and #2 made me giggle. Pity about the sky in #5 and I think I'd like to see a fatherly (if it is father and son) arm around the son's shoulder.

Overall, cracking set.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy (y)
Lastminutedotcom on my pride shot so I am pleased with how this turned out from what was a quick set up this morning in the back garden between showers. (thought there was supposed to be a drought :cautious:)

Thanks on the short image.
This really had to be done today so I was up in the field at the rear of my house. When I started, there was some nice blue sky with clouds but it changed during the shoot hence the sky in #5. I had to run with it as I wanted #1 to #5 to be shot from the same position. The drop shadow border holds it in a little.
Yes the arm round the shoulder would have been good, I should have thought of that.

Pride - Great shot. I like the off centre composition. If I had a small niggle it's the double reflection at the bottom

Short - I like this. They are each nice photos and really work put together. Definitely on theme for both short story and one of the models being shorter than the other.

Pride I get the theme but not sure about the reflection does it need it?
I like short tells the story well in just 6 pics excellent

Hi Iain

Pride....very personal take on theme & well shot....like the reflections, the positioning & lighting ,the sharpness & colors :clap: If I had to nit pick I'd mention the blue splodge top right & the ickle bits of stuff to the bottom left of the 1st medal box...but they really are minor points ....& big (y) for serving & being recognised for it :clap:

Short.....love it love it love it...fab idea & story board...bought a smile to my face....no nit picks possible , even the sky doesn't look out of place...really good work mister :clap::clap:

Pride - Great shot. I like the off centre composition. If I had a small niggle it's the double reflection at the bottom

Short - I like this. They are each nice photos and really work put together. Definitely on theme for both short story and one of the models being shorter than the other.

Thanks Peter, I don't think theres much I could do about the double reflection unfortunately.

Pride I get the theme but not sure about the reflection does it need it?
I like short tells the story well in just 6 pics excellent

Cheers Allan, I think the photograph would look a little flat without the reflection don't you think?

Hi Iain

Pride....very personal take on theme & well shot....like the reflections, the positioning & lighting ,the sharpness & colors :clap: If I had to nit pick I'd mention the blue splodge top right & the ickle bits of stuff to the bottom left of the 1st medal box...but they really are minor points ....& big (y) for serving & being recognised for it :clap:

Short.....love it love it love it...fab idea & story board...bought a smile to my face....no nit picks possible , even the sky doesn't look out of place...really good work mister :clap::clap:

Thanks Lynne, I am pleased with how short turned out, it was done on the hurry up between showers, and certainly had to be done yesterday as this week is manic at work so no time for photography.

blakester said:
chocolate medals :LOL: I can see why! Never having served in the Armed Forces, this is the closest i will come to a medal :D I struggled to find something to fit this theme and this was my best idea.

Well I will only have chocolate medals to show for my military career, these two and my undetected crime (long service, good conduct) so I'm proud of them too! I'm also proud that not only the armed forces are getting the Jubilee medals! I'm quite sure you guys in the emergency services work a dam sight harder than I do and probably for a lot less pennies!

Short - Brilliant, funny and such a clever take on the theme :clap::clap::clap::clap: Of the six images number six stands out as superb!

Well I will only have chocolate medals to show for my military career, these two and my undetected crime (long service, good conduct) so I'm proud of them too! I'm also proud that not only the armed forces are getting the Jubilee medals! I'm quite sure you guys in the emergency services work a dam sight harder than I do and probably for a lot less pennies!

Short - Brilliant, funny and such a clever take on the theme :clap::clap::clap::clap: Of the six images number six stands out as superb!

Cheers Marsha, I am also overdue getting my "never been caught" medal (long service/good conduct) to add to my other chocolate medals :LOL:

Thanks for your kind comments on short, I had a moment of inspiration on this one thankfully, 'cos this week is hectic at work.

Love the reflections in 'pride' and the work that went into 'short' (y)

Hi Iain,

You're definately on a roll..... what great shots!(y)
Pride, very nicely composed and shot, I like it.

Short, I really don't know where you get your inspiration from but this one is inspired! Brilliant! I love it, wouldn't change a thing.

Carol

Hi Iain,

You're definately on a roll..... what great shots!(y)
Pride, very nicely composed and shot, I like it.

Short, I really don't know where you get your inspiration from but this one is inspired! Brilliant! I love it, wouldn't change a thing.

Carol

Thanks Carol glad you like them :D

Some weeks it just comes to me, others are a bit more hard work.
With the theme each week, I tend to think of a phrase that the word fits in and find that helps expand my ideas. For example for pride I initially thought of "pride & joy", I was going to go for a photograph of my car but time and the weather were against me.
Thats my thought process for this challenge and it seems to work for me.

Pride... EXcellent, well composed, and wonderful reflections

Short... :D... brilliant idea and execution.. so many shorts in there.

Pride... EXcellent, well composed, and wonderful reflections

Short... :D... brilliant idea and execution.. so many shorts in there.

Thanks John, much appreciated.

Hi Iain....

as everyone has said, very good idea, super little story:)

Thanks to you to Neil, not to be taken seriously so I am glad it raised a smile from people.

Cheers

Iain

Pride - You've been polishing again :D Excellent reflection, nicely exposed considering the colours, Black and White in the image !!!, Nice strong Blacks and vivid colours at that :)

Short Story - Love it, a good set indeed Iain, real good poses of your characters, again nice colours and bang on sharpness/dof for the images... Nice One !!

Last edited:
Pride - You've been polishing again :D Excellent reflection, nicely exposed considering the colours, Black and White in the image !!!, Nice strong Blacks and vivid colours at that :)

Short Story - Love it, a good set indeed Iain, real good poses of your characters, again nice colours and bang on sharpness/dof for the images... Nice One !!

Cheers Dean (y)
The balanced exposure on pride was courtesy of a new 5in1 reflector/diffuser, I was able to get some nice natural diffused light in brilliant sunshine using it.
Thanks for your kind comments on short.

Pride is really nice, like the reflections. Short is excellent and a great little story. Well done.

Cheers to you too Michael, much appreciated.

pride and short - can't fault them :clap:

Hi Iain
The pride of using your own medals wow. Apart from the background already memtioned a great shot, very crisp and great reflection.
Short - great storyline and not short on composition or interpretation. The last two however could do with the sky being toned down a bit.

Hi Iain
The pride of using your own medals wow. Apart from the background already memtioned a great shot, very crisp and great reflection.
Short - great storyline and not short on composition or interpretation. The last two however could do with the sky being toned down a bit.

Cheers John (y)

I agree about the sky in the last two, I should have done something about it but wouldn't know where to start. It could be a reshoot with a better sky maybe.

You could cheat, post it in the pp section and ask for help, people always edit and post photos. You might get the sky your after without doing anything ;) Or it'll teach you what you need to do?

Good point Marsha.
I do like to get it right in camera with minimal pp afterwards.
Dropping in another sky or fixing the sky could be a bit of a faff.

Looking at my photographs again, I know the sky isn't right, its blown any further pp to recover it would say to me its 'turd polishing' ;) excuse my French :LOL:

'Pride' - very nice lighting Iain and definitely bang on theme. It's very sad to see some of the Golden Jubilee medals being sold already on eBay - shocking really !

'Short' I like your picture board, nice composition and execution. It's really hard to find anything to constrictively criticise - nice work !

Nick

'Pride' - very nice lighting Iain and definitely bang on theme. It's very sad to see some of the Golden Jubilee medals being sold already on eBay - shocking really !

'Short' I like your picture board, nice composition and execution. It's really hard to find anything to constrictively criticise - nice work !

Nick

Cheers Nick (y)
I agree about the medals being sold on ebay, people who have them can't be that hard up that they need to sell them!

Thanks for your kind comments about short, much appreciated.

Pride: Great picture. Love the sharp feel it gives with the shine.

Short: Outstanding piece of work. I love it.

Bilko Salutes as passes Blakester

Pride: Great picture. Love the sharp feel it gives with the shine.

Short: Outstanding piece of work. I love it.

Bilko Salutes as passes Blakester

Cheers Robert, glad you like them (y)

Week 18 Flight.
Took a quite literal route this week, flight of stairs.
C&C welcome as always.

Not the first flight of stairs I've seen on here but oh such a different shot! I think this is excellent, the colours, the composition and the vignette really work for me.

Thanks Marsha, I've not had a look through others yet, just getting around to it today.
I am glad you like it, I wanted to process this to give it a little twist on what is quite an ordinary subject.

Back