weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

Right , before I fall even further behind here's my late submission for Rich.....crowbar needed I'm afraid :(

My idea was that you don't need money or belongings to be rich...you just need someone to share with , someone to love , someone to ...well you get the idea ! Only problem was I didn't have any willing models so Woody & his son were called in to help . Andy's version works much better because it has real human beings in it....:crying:

Wk 28 Rich jpeg by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

I actually used the OCF for this one ,played around for a little while as I wanted some shadow to ground the image & wanted an almost high key effect .The bg was a cream sheet of paper

Anyho....there ya go , just gotta get a reshoot done & catch up with comments now :runaway:

HI Lynne - okay I admit I really struggled to see the connection until I read your explanation :)

I like it - But do find the lighting around the head's a bit harsh / bright, the shadow's work nicely just enough to know they are there but not enough to take the focus from the main subject.

Craig

I like it, Lynne! We're all guilty of an occasional jemmy now and then, but the sentiments are, ultimately, just the same as Andy's (although does require a bit more thought by us because of the use of wooden models). One daft question - does OCF mean off camera flash??

I particularly like:
1. the posing of the models - nicely done, especially arm placement and the tilt of the "child's" upper body.
2. the overall tone of the image
3. lighting on the models - spot on for me

The only negative crit I'd offer are the following two thoughts/suggestions:
a. cropping off just a tiny bit of shadow (top of head, bottom left) makes me think it was unintentional... compositionally, I don't think you need all of the shadow in frame, but for me it might work better either if you did, or if you cropped a bit more off to make it more "deliberate"
b. I'm seeing a lot of posterisation of the highlight area (top right 1/4)... it might well be my monitor setup (in which case it's my problem!) but that's distracting for me

Great shot though and sufficiently on theme for me...

I'm liking that too, yes it did take the description, but nowt wrong with that...the black seat/box is positioned nicely, liking the shiny rim and the texture too, must agree that the lighting is bright on their faces, but I think it works fine with the high key look.

Must say that I like the front shadow, was that just achieved fromt the light bouncing back from the paper ??

Tis very good.

Nice composition, very nice lighting, not bad pose.

The could do with a book or something to do with their hands though :)

Loud: Both really nice pictures. Love the lighting in the first and the toned mono conversion really shows off that lighting well. Composition on the first is good too. Second shot I like the desaturated look - Is this because of bright light or processing? Looks like a really good day out and you've certainly come away with at least 2 nice pics that I know of ;)

Rich: Cant fault it really. Lighting works well for that high key look with enough shadow to ground the subject....If pushed to nitpick, then I'd say the light perhaps a bit strong from the top right. I agree that life is richest when shared with someone special.

HI Lynne - okay I admit I really struggled to see the connection until I read your explanation :)

I like it - But do find the lighting around the head's a bit harsh / bright, the shadow's work nicely just enough to know they are there but not enough to take the focus from the main subject.

Craig

Thanks Craig.... yup , think you could be right , a tad harsher than I was aiming for :(

I like it, Lynne! We're all guilty of an occasional jemmy now and then, but the sentiments are, ultimately, just the same as Andy's (although does require a bit more thought by us because of the use of wooden models). One daft question - does OCF mean off camera flash??

I particularly like:
1. the posing of the models - nicely done, especially arm placement and the tilt of the "child's" upper body.
2. the overall tone of the image
3. lighting on the models - spot on for me

The only negative crit I'd offer are the following two thoughts/suggestions:
a. cropping off just a tiny bit of shadow (top of head, bottom left) makes me think it was unintentional... compositionally, I don't think you need all of the shadow in frame, but for me it might work better either if you did, or if you cropped a bit more off to make it more "deliberate"
b. I'm seeing a lot of posterisation of the highlight area (top right 1/4)... it might well be my monitor setup (in which case it's my problem!) but that's distracting for me

Great shot though and sufficiently on theme for me...

Thanks Paul ,if I recall correctly the shadow was missing in the original...ran out room on the paper sheet I used as the floor....should have moved a bit more to the right I guess .
I have no idea what posterisation is :thinking: even when I zoom in I can't see what you mean , I suspect jpeg doesn't help ?

I'm liking that too, yes it did take the description, but nowt wrong with that...the black seat/box is positioned nicely, liking the shiny rim and the texture too, must agree that the lighting is bright on their faces, but I think it works fine with the high key look.

Must say that I like the front shadow, was that just achieved fromt the light bouncing back from the paper ??

Cheers Dean......Shadow was achieved by a very technical method....... waving the flash around in various positions till I finally got something that looked vaguely right :D

Tis very good.

Nice composition, very nice lighting, not bad pose.

The could do with a book or something to do with their hands though :)

Thanks Mark.....a book ??? who needs books when they have each other....plus I ain't got one that small :p

Rich - I get the connection with your explanation, nice composition, nicely exposed good work Lynne.

Thanks Mandy :)

Mega quick catch up from me...somewhere along the line I think we had a Re-shoot drawn , yup week 28....you can take your pick with which week I choose as it fits a few....Line/Linear ( very loosely) , Shape or Mono :D

Been wanting to try this for a while , possibly choosing to attempt it after a bloomin manic day & in a very hot conservatory wasn't the best idea I ever had but hey ho.....Not quite the 100% I had in my head but reasonably pleased.....high key look deliberate so you may need to turn the brightness on your monitors down :rolleyes:

Wk 28 Reshoot Line / Shape /Mono by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

& so to the current week...29 I hope....Skill....was always going to be a bike shot , just a case of picking which one !

opted for this one as you can see his face....the spots of dirt aren't dust bunnies , they'd been kicked up by the rider in front of him & I really wasn't going to spend ages cloning them out ! Yes it's central which was intentional & the guy's really don't care that much , in focus & getting some air is what they look for . I will confess that unless you're a biker you may not appreciate the skill involved in getting airborne ( & coming down in 1 piece )... :)

Wk 29 Skill by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

So there ya have it , finally up to date (y)

Last edited:
Well done for getting caught up Lynne, I'm still plugging away! I like the bike shot, nice and sharp and a slither of ground for perspective. Exposure is good too, plenty of detail in the shadows. I'd maybe be tempted to see what it looked like a couple of steps to the right to try and get a 2/3 shot of the bike? Well executed non the less.

Good on you Lynne for staying with it and catching up...
Rich - Good take on theme and its your idea of what it means to you which I like...
Line/Shape/Mono - Again a nice clean image which is on point...
Skill - great capture shot...

Hi Lynne....nice one for rich...you have managed to capture a real sense of companionship with Woody and son in that pose :) super original idea ... and a really nice white background and shadow.

Not sure what your re-shoot actually is ...it would be interesting to know...but whatever it is it looks very effective, a nice bit of abstract there which I like a lot.

Skill ....no surprise with the choice :) it fits the bill perfectly, not sure if it would benefit from a slight cropo_O I'm sure it's very scary to go flying through the air like that.....as you say the skill is in the landing!

Reshoot I do like. Lovely curves, ;), super shadows and nicely composed esp on the right side. One of those where there's very little there, but still plenty to look at.

Skill is great in all areas apart from one, great sky, great face, sharp, flying bits of mud conveying the movement and action....... He just needs to be higher. Above the tree line would be perfect. Not sure you could engineer that by being lower as you'd likely lose the trees altogether. Tell him to go faster. :naughty: :)

Well done for getting caught up Lynne, I'm still plugging away! I like the bike shot, nice and sharp and a slither of ground for perspective. Exposure is good too, plenty of detail in the shadows. I'd maybe be tempted to see what it looked like a couple of steps to the right to try and get a 2/3 shot of the bike? Well executed non the less.

Thanks Adam...I couldn't stand further to the right...blooming great ditch with loads of broken metal fencing in it....grrrr

Good on you Lynne for staying with it and catching up...
Rich - Good take on theme and its your idea of what it means to you which I like...
Line/Shape/Mono - Again a nice clean image which is on point...
Skill - great capture shot...

Thanks Colin :)

Hi Lynne....nice one for rich...you have managed to capture a real sense of companionship with Woody and son in that pose :) super original idea ... and a really nice white background and shadow.

Not sure what your re-shoot actually is ...it would be interesting to know...but whatever it is it looks very effective, a nice bit of abstract there which I like a lot.

Skill ....no surprise with the choice :) it fits the bill perfectly, not sure if it would benefit from a slight cropo_O I'm sure it's very scary to go flying through the air like that.....as you say the skill is in the landing!

Thanks Susie , glad you like Woody...he'd been feeling a bit left out with all the bike shots lately :rolleyes:

The reshoot is several pieces of A4 stuck together in a curve & shot head on :)

The crop is a standard one I use for moto x...the riders really don't care where they are in the frame so long as they're vaguely in focus & getting some air :eek:

Reshoot I do like. Lovely curves, ;), super shadows and nicely composed esp on the right side. One of those where there's very little there, but still plenty to look at.

Skill is great in all areas apart from one, great sky, great face, sharp, flying bits of mud conveying the movement and action....... He just needs to be higher. Above the tree line would be perfect. Not sure you could engineer that by being lower as you'd likely lose the trees altogether. Tell him to go faster. :naughty: :)

Cheers Graham...glad you like the re-shoot....it's an itch now scratched & out of my system...till the next time :D

I do have several loads of high air shots from my usual track but this track is hard work plus the riders weren't as experienced so not much action...but I'll pass the message on next time I'm there :LOL:

Hi Lynne I like your interpretation for both your themes Line/Liner and Skill well done, I particularly like the linear one, it flows and the high key makes sure that all your attention is focused on the curvers.

Hi Lynne, Rich nicely done, good composition, don't feel it needs too much of a crowbar
reshoot of line/shape/mono is excellent minimalism at its best :clap:
Skill is a great capture I have never done any motor sport pics but can imagine its really hard to get anything decent (y)

Hi Lynne I like your interpretation for both your themes Line/Liner and Skill well done, I particularly like the linear one, it flows and the high key makes sure that all your attention is focused on the curvers.

Thanks Carol.......just realised I haven't been to your thread yet....sorry , will be there in a short while (y)

Hi Lynne, Rich nicely done, good composition, don't feel it needs too much of a crowbar
reshoot of line/shape/mono is excellent minimalism at its best :clap:
Skill is a great capture I have never done any motor sport pics but can imagine its really hard to get anything decent (y)

Really appreciate you popping in Allan :hug:

Though I'd best get this week done n dusted before I swamp myself with moto x shots tomorrow !

This seemed like a really good idea when I woke up this morning....but for the life of me I now can't remember the connection my sleep fuddled brain made to the theme :thinking: Hey ho......

Banawi ?? Kiwana ?? Nanakwi ?? Half nana , half kiwi & cut in half , 2 halve's on view......

I spent ages looking for a tutorial on this , found 2 but neither were spoken , just written & I struggle with that , much prefer to hear someone speaking ! Have seen the orange/apple one before so thought I'd go for different fruit :)

Wk 30 Half jpeg by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

It's far from perfect but quite happy for a 1st attempt , not sure on the layout , seems a little odd only having 2 items instead of the preferred odd number ? Quite a large crop as well ,wanted to get all the nana in focus so ended up moving away from the subject & shooting wide( changing f number didn't seem to help ? ) If anyone has a spoken tutorial for doing this type of shot I'd really appreciate a link if you don't mind ??

Cheers

Lynne

Well I think it's pretty great, so kudos to you. I have no idea how you did it. Great white background too. I think the event number works here.

Blimey Lynne, certainly setting yourself no limits with your pp attempts by his year. I did have in mind to go down this road but after @JasonGlyn and his orangey apple I have shelved my ambitions.

You,ve done a great job here and the yellow and green work perfectly. Soft shadow is great.

I'm sure you can pick your own areas to do differently / better were you to do it again so I'll just say a huge well done. :)

Not sure a tutorial would help massively?? Its just shooting the two fruits in the same light, and then layers and masks, along with selections and feathering, transform and move.

What's feathering?

Where the selected area has a soft edge, rather than a hard edge.

Just means that the selected part will blend a bit better.

Maybe also known as hardness when applied to a brush.

Last edited:
Blimey Lynne, certainly setting yourself no limits with your pp attempts by his year. I did have in mind to go down this road but after @JasonGlyn and his orangey apple I have shelved my ambitions.

You,ve done a great job here and the yellow and green work perfectly. Soft shadow is great.

I'm sure you can pick your own areas to do differently / better were you to do it again so I'll just say a huge well done. :)

Not sure a tutorial would help massively?? Its just shooting the two fruits in the same light, and then layers and masks, along with selections and feathering, transform and move.

Thanks @overbez Graham.....2 fruits shot in same light camera settings etc then,cut & pasted the kiwi fruit on to the nana, used free transform & warp to position as well as possible then just erased the bit's I wasn't happy with . What I wanted to do was use layers & masks to blend it better but couldn't figure out how / what/where ? Can you give me some pointers please ?

Thanks @overbez Graham.....2 fruits shot in same light camera settings etc then,cut & pasted the kiwi fruit on to the nana, used free transform & warp to position as well as possible then just erased the bit's I wasn't happy with . What I wanted to do was use layers & masks to blend it better but couldn't figure out how / what/where ? Can you give me some pointers please ?

TBH I think that you have most of it pretty much covered with what you described.

The only advantage (in this instance) of using layers and masks as opposed to just having the kiwi on a layer above and erasing, is that the mask just hides sections, erasing removes them completely, and is un-doable. You can / could also apply blur to the layer mask which would have the effect of softening the selection.

Can't see the blend modes being of any use here, the key (I imagine) is getting the right amount of feathering, or fade between the banana and the kiwi.

One way of doing it would be....
  • load banana as first image
  • load kiwi as new layer on top (open seperately, crtl A, ctrl C, then go to banana image, crtl V)
  • drop opacity of kiwi layer to 50%
  • V to move it around
  • when in position opactity back to 100%
  • (Ctrl J to make a dupliacte in case anything goes funny), and then turn the lower copy layer off
  • selection tool of choice..... (pen, magic wand, lasoo, magnetic lassoo), (I like magnetic lassoo)
  • before starting selection set feathering (box towards top left of screen) to appropriate amount, some to not make it hard, but not too soft (maybe 5 px???)
  • make selection, once selected click layer mask icon.
  • this should hide all apart from the selected bit
  • if you have something in the slection you don;t want, click on the layer mask, and then B for brush, zoom in (crtl +) and paint black to remove (square brackets to make brush bigger / smaller) hardness to suit, or X to change to white to paint the selection back

It's just then fine tuning the selection, paint white on the mask to make more kiwi appear, paint black to remove kiwi.

Knowing what can be done is the first part, finding how to go about it takes more effort, and thats before you get to actually doing it!

Hi Lynne

Linea/Mono reshoot - looks great, I like the shadows and the clean image. Only crit would be the curves int eh bottom lh corner are spaced differently to rest of the image so may be a different crop?
Skill = I guessed you might do a bike shot. Very good exposure as you got the face right as well as the bike and the sky looks ok too - well done :clap:
Half - i have seen this done a few times and this looks as good as any.

Some nice work here. Not least the artistry involved in "reshoot" and "half". I find it inspiring.

Re shoot of Liine/Linear i like the curves and i have to say it is a tad on the bright white side of things but i don't mind it, the curves work well for me.

Skill - good action shot very well done nothing at all for me to pick fault with.

Half - really good take on the theme, good pp skills again excellent :clap::clap: .

Hi Lynne,
rich... lovely pose and idea as has been said a tad bright on the heads:)
reshoot... is very bright but great curves :)
skill... only crit just a bit central, brilliant shot clear great colours:clap::clap:
half....cleverly done great pp (y)

Hi Lynne, don't really see much wrong with the banana you have done a really good job on it,
there are very few tutorials on it though I can find lots of pics of hybrid fruit, there must be one somewhere.

Hi Lynne... you've got some crackers here, so here's my catch up:

Reshoot - haven't a scooby what it is but I love it. Really nice lines, lighting and composition. Very abstract and good for it.
Skill - I thought it was a bit central at first but with the dirt spray behind (which I love - gives a sense of motion) I think you need it central to capture both that and give him space to drive into. Great capture.
Half - very smart! I really like it... I'm also trying to improve my PP and would love to give something like this a go. As Graham says, masks are a lot more controllable and re-doable, but you've still done a decent job! Congrats.

By the way, they're all perfectly on theme and no crowbar in sight...

HI Lynne - Skill - was a great shot the determination in his face says it all, that's a man on the edge love the dirt flying every where but one thing is bugging me - why is his face protection on his arm and not on his face?

Half - well not sure how you done it but its looks great tome well done

Hi Lynne, your image for half is excellent :clap: as mentioned, the two fruits go really well together, excellent white clean bg with just hint of shadow looks great (y) really well done on learning all these new pp skills :clap:

TBH I think that you have most of it pretty much covered with what you described.

The only advantage (in this instance) of using layers and masks as opposed to just having the kiwi on a layer above and erasing, is that the mask just hides sections, erasing removes them completely, and is un-doable. You can / could also apply blur to the layer mask which would have the effect of softening the selection.

Can't see the blend modes being of any use here, the key (I imagine) is getting the right amount of feathering, or fade between the banana and the kiwi.

One way of doing it would be....
  • load banana as first image
  • load kiwi as new layer on top (open seperately, crtl A, ctrl C, then go to banana image, crtl V)
  • drop opacity of kiwi layer to 50%
  • V to move it around
  • when in position opactity back to 100%
  • (Ctrl J to make a dupliacte in case anything goes funny), and then turn the lower copy layer off
  • selection tool of choice..... (pen, magic wand, lasoo, magnetic lassoo), (I like magnetic lassoo)
  • before starting selection set feathering (box towards top left of screen) to appropriate amount, some to not make it hard, but not too soft (maybe 5 px???)
  • make selection, once selected click layer mask icon.
  • this should hide all apart from the selected bit
  • if you have something in the slection you don;t want, click on the layer mask, and then B for brush, zoom in (crtl +) and paint black to remove (square brackets to make brush bigger / smaller) hardness to suit, or X to change to white to paint the selection back

It's just then fine tuning the selection, paint white on the mask to make more kiwi appear, paint black to remove kiwi.

Knowing what can be done is the first part, finding how to go about it takes more effort, and thats before you get to actually doing it!

:eek:....I'm sure it's easier than it looks...that has just fried my brain :wideyed: Duly copied , pasted & saved to a folder for future reference...cheers Graham ,much appreciated (y)

Hi Lynne

Linea/Mono reshoot - looks great, I like the shadows and the clean image. Only crit would be the curves int eh bottom lh corner are spaced differently to rest of the image so may be a different crop?
Skill = I guessed you might do a bike shot. Very good exposure as you got the face right as well as the bike and the sky looks ok too - well done :clap:
Half - i have seen this done a few times and this looks as good as any.

Thanks Richard...yup , agree about the bottom of the paper for my reshoot...this is one I'll definitely have another go at & spend a bit more time on the set up .:)

Some nice work here. Not least the artistry involved in "reshoot" and "half". I find it inspiring.

Cheers David , very kind of you :)

Re shoot of Liine/Linear i like the curves and i have to say it is a tad on the bright white side of things but i don't mind it, the curves work well for me.

Skill - good action shot very well done nothing at all for me to pick fault with.

Half - really good take on the theme, good pp skills again excellent :clap::clap: .

Thanks Mandy....yup , retina destroying white was the aim......:D

Hi Lynne,
rich... lovely pose and idea as has been said a tad bright on the heads:)
reshoot... is very bright but great curves :)
skill... only crit just a bit central, brilliant shot clear great colours:clap::clap:
half....cleverly done great pp (y)

Thanks Judi.....:)

Hi Lynne, don't really see much wrong with the banana you have done a really good job on it,
there are very few tutorials on it though I can find lots of pics of hybrid fruit, there must be one somewhere.

it's a conspiracy I tell ya...loads of tutorials for anything you care to think of but a measly 2 for hybrid fruit...if I could remember exactly what I did I write one myself :D

Hi Lynne... you've got some crackers here, so here's my catch up:

Reshoot - haven't a scooby what it is but I love it. Really nice lines, lighting and composition. Very abstract and good for it.
Skill - I thought it was a bit central at first but with the dirt spray behind (which I love - gives a sense of motion) I think you need it central to capture both that and give him space to drive into. Great capture.
Half - very smart! I really like it... I'm also trying to improve my PP and would love to give something like this a go. As Graham says, masks are a lot more controllable and re-doable, but you've still done a decent job! Congrats.

By the way, they're all perfectly on theme and no crowbar in sight...

Thanks Paul....reshoot is curved white A4 paper blasted with light to kill your retina's :naughty:

I still have nightmares over central bike shots but the riders really don't appreciate the rule of thirds :arghh:

Back