Blondie606's Photo52 2011-Wk 52 Glass & Nature,Challenge Complete

I found what set my oktoberfest shoes off was the slinky scarf across the foreground. It wasn't what I had in mind but it worked...

Cheers for the idea Kev....what I'm trying to achieve ( & missing by a country mile ) is a wedding type shot / Just had a scout round Flickr for some more ideas...got a couple to try out next weekend (y)

Hiya Lynne, I just love those teddies! Certainly very cute indeed, like your pics, esp number 1. I quite like number 2 of your reshoot.

Thanks Michael...glad you like (y) Hung jury on the shoes...but as per above...got some more idea's to try out with them...I will not be beaten :D

Hiya Lynne,

Oh my word ... you have been a very busy bee. Sorry I've not commented yet, I have popped past to see your pics, just not had the time to leave feedback till now as I have been giving much thought to your photos.

Light:

I like the 'bright idea' to use light bulbs, something I had thought of at first but had a feeling someone would beat me to it.

I agree with most of the comments made, and I had some immediate ideas as to what I would have done to these with a bit more post processing .... but only because I have a pp bug at the moment :LOL: I definitely want to do some similar shots soon .... a bit of a mini project for moi.

Hope you don't mind .... but rather than try to explain my ideas for the shot, I thought it easier to show you the results (just shout if you want me to remove them):

6452058187_ba36f883ba.jpg

[/url] Lynne light 1 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

6452058533_61849aa5c2.jpg

[/url] Lynne light 2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Re-shoot of shoes:

I absolutely love the re-shoot .... well done. The colours of the first are stunning and I think the mono works well too.

Cute:

Without doubt all three photos are very cute indeed with my fav being #3 because I love the softness about the image and the reflection and the little 'heart' effect on the background.

I can see these images as greetings cards or framed and on nursery or young girls bedroom wall.

Well done my friend, you have done a fantastic job here. You should be proud of your work and progress throughout the photo52.

Luvz

Dawn :)

Cheers loads Dawn...aways appreciate seeing how it should it be done :D I'm guessing you pp'd in picnik on the 1st bulb?? gonna have a try & see if I can get anywhere near your version...whilst I like mine for the defects it shows in the glass, I like the cleaner version...just need to learn how to do it ! That energy bulb really irritates me...when the sides look straight the top seems off...but prefer the crop :bang:

I like my teddies...the 3rd image is now almost my fav...all credit to picnik for the effects though....there is a range of greetings card with those teddies on already....Tattie Teddy ....I'm a sucker for all thing cute n romantic :D Glad they appeal to you & thanks for your kind comments :)

Sat in the car today debating whether to get out with the camera ( it was raining cats n dogs ), when I saw this & thought....hmmmm.....Abstract/Blur ??

Blur/Abstract by llj666, on Flickr

What'dya think....there's just something about it I like :eek:

Last edited:
As mentioned above...little bit bored today...& trying to avoid doing housework ! So ,given that I'll have no time this week & my trip out in the great british weather yeilded no phone boxes I thought I'd post this as my take on Talk :

Talk by llj666, on Flickr

No idea what he's saying though :LOL:

Spent an hour with the police puppies today ( older ones this time ) , they're taught to Speak on command & speak equals Talk (y) Yes...I know the post looks like it's growing out of his head but whilst I'm there I keep out of the way of the handlers & dogs so have to take what I can get :p

Cracking shoSPAMnne and an excellent take on TALK ... The key is the dog talking so mid open jaw fits well.... Perhaps a shot of just the dog would have been more fitting. But I think the inclusion of the handler identifies a listener.

(y)

Cracking shoSPAMnne and an excellent take on TALK ... The key is the dog talking so mid open jaw fits well.... Perhaps a shot of just the dog would have been more fitting. But I think the inclusion of the handler identifies a listener.

(y)

Cheers Kev.... glad you see the connection (y) These are still quite young pup's , all mega excited to be with other pups & lots of humans...not to mention a field full of loons playing football .....letting them off the leash may just possibly have caused havoc :LOL: I do see your point though.... luckily I'll get more opportunities to tog them & the fully trained ones so thats a shot I can work on (y)

Hiya Lynne,

Having spent time with you at the show in Sheffield earlier this year, and observing your enthusiasm and passion for this type of photography, at which you are great, I can fully appreciate the sentiment behind this which is bang on theme for me.

At these training sessions and shows there is not much one can do about the background because of the logistics .... however I do feel that one thing for you to perhaps work on in the future, from a photographic point, is to try find the right camera setting to isolate/blur the background to bring the subject to the fore (if that makes sense) .... and as I am still very much on a learning curve myself I'm not sure what the answer is, but perhaps there is a fellow member who would be able to offer advice on technique/settings for same.

One thing I can say for sure is I have seen how you have developed and progressed with your photography though the year .... so all credit to you babes.

Well done :clap:

Cheers

Dawn x

Talk, well done. My initial thought was, " I can't see his mouth?", but after looking at it again, I prefer it as it is. Nice at tight. f5.6, if you cold go wider you could have really isolated him.

Thing for me though, is when I put my thumb over 'Police' it really changed the storyline from an official one to a more aggressive one :thinking:

Cheers.

I rather like your take on talk, a lot ;)

It is a shame about the post but as you say, they are undergoing training and for you to distract them would be quite wrong.

Thanks Tina...would love the able to get them to pose for me but thats not what the days about , glad you like it :)

Hi Lynne, a great idea for talk! It doesn't matter about the post, it is the subject matter that counts. I have no idea yet what I am going to do for talk yet.

Thanks Michael (y) ....not a particularly easy theme I thought

Hiya Lynne,

Having spent time with you at the show in Sheffield earlier this year, and observing your enthusiasm and passion for this type of photography, at which you are great, I can fully appreciate the sentiment behind this which is bang on theme for me.

At these training sessions and shows there is not much one can do about the background because of the logistics .... however I do feel that one thing for you to perhaps work on in the future, from a photographic point, is to try find the right camera setting to isolate/blur the background to bring the subject to the fore (if that makes sense) .... and as I am still very much on a learning curve myself I'm not sure what the answer is, but perhaps there is a fellow member who would be able to offer advice on technique/settings for same.

One thing I can say for sure is I have seen how you have developed and progressed with your photography though the year .... so all credit to you babes.

Well done :clap:

Cheers

Dawn x

Thanks for the compliments Dawn... this was shot from a fair distance at the lowest f this lens gives ,think to blur the background more I'd need to be closer which wasn't really possible , still , there will be reshoot opportunities so another one for the list :)

Talk, well done. My initial thought was, " I can't see his mouth?", but after looking at it again, I prefer it as it is. Nice at tight. f5.6, if you cold go wider you could have really isolated him.

Thing for me though, is when I put my thumb over 'Police' it really changed the storyline from an official one to a more aggressive one :thinking:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy....puzzled at 1st by your comment..."can't see his mouth"...it's the Dog that was talking :LOL: Like your idea for taking out the Police writing though ...def changes the whole feeling of the shot (y)

Nice take on the theme, Lynne. They sure look like talking.

Cheers Stan (y)

& on to Weather...beed praying for snow but alas it wasn't to be :crying:

Went for a wander round Castleton last weekend...not being a landscape tog I'm not 100 on this one but think it at least fits the theme if nowt else (y)

DSC_3061 copy by llj666, on Flickr

A sprinkling of the white stuff , the cloud level coming down & no blue sky whatsoever ....any good ?

& on to Weather...beed praying for snow but alas it wasn't to be :crying:

Went for a wander round Castleton last weekend...not being a landscape tog I'm not 100 on this one but think it at least fits the theme if nowt else (y)

DSC_3061 copy by llj666, on Flickr

A sprinkling of the white stuff , the cloud level coming down & no blue sky whatsoever ....any good ?

see..now thats the sort of shot i couldn't get... beautiful slopes covered in winter icing sugar??? ... love it lynne...you do a reshoot and it won't be a patch on it.. (y)

Hiya Lynne,

Gorgeous shot babes ..... defo fits the theme for me!

BTW you need to change the title in your OP to reflect the week you are on as it has a previous week ..... so I nearly missed this one.

Cheers

OMG, cute is Valentines card stuff, but, I'm a bloke so I hate it :LOL:
No seriously, the cute shots are good, I could picture them as posters and cards in Clintons Cards.

Talk, um, nice shot but I don't see talk, then again, my talk don't really say talk either so who am I to talk!!

Blur/ abstract, I like it.

Weather, yep, that says weather OK, I like it.
I feel cold looking at it, partly because it reminds me of our night doing light trails!

Spot on for me Lynne! It all works very well. (y)

Thanks Michael...appreciate you stopping by & glad you like it (y)

see..now thats the sort of shot i couldn't get... beautiful slopes covered in winter icing sugar??? ... love it lynne...you do a reshoot and it won't be a patch on it.. (y)

Kev...I'm totally bemused...I just thought it was fairly carp ? got several variations of the landscape from differing viewpoints...but glad you like (y)

That is definitely weather (y) Nothing wrong with the shot, I like the composition, my only comment is that the sky seems noisy to me but I suppose it could be my monitor :confused:

Cheers Tina.... I do seem to be having a problem with noise in some of my shots...not sure if its the camera or pilot error :LOL:

Hi Lynne,

I like (y) the misty atmosphere, the line of the road takes your eyes to the ‘vanishing’ point at the classic third point and of course spot on theme.

:clap:

Many thanks Stan....vanishing point...spoken like a true biker :LOL:

I agree with all on your weather. Looks cold, but somewhat tranquil.

I'd go as far as saying it's one of your best yet. (y)

Praise indeed from you Andy...many thanks...I still think it's carp !

Hiya Lynne,

Gorgeous shot babes ..... defo fits the theme for me!

BTW you need to change the title in your OP to reflect the week you are on as it has a previous week ..... so I nearly missed this one.

Cheers

Cheers for the reminder Hun..all amended now (y)

Saw your weather shot on Flickr....like it...my preference would be to crop a bit off the top as the mute sky adds little IMO....
:)

Thanks Jeff....as I know little about landscape togging I wasn't sure about how hard to crop it but can see what you mean,thanks :)

OMG, cute is Valentines card stuff, but, I'm a bloke so I hate it :LOL:
No seriously, the cute shots are good, I could picture them as posters and cards in Clintons Cards.

Talk, um, nice shot but I don't see talk, then again, my talk don't really say talk either so who am I to talk!!

Blur/ abstract, I like it.

Weather, yep, that says weather OK, I like it.
I feel cold looking at it, partly because it reminds me of our night doing light trails!

Thanks Neil.....ya need to get in touch with your feminine side some more...a little romance & all those new togging bits you want won't be a problem :LOL:

Talk was always gonna be marmite...& there's far to many talks in your reply :LOL:

Yup , I was parked up just down the road from where we did our light painting session...think it may have been a bit warmer them though (y)

OMG...more than a little confuddled by these themes now:LOL:
It seems we're going for light again so although not taken specifically for the theme I really like this shot so I'm gonna use it :razz:

Had a couple of days in Edinburgh last week ,driving home saw the most wonderful sky around Torness Power Station. Didn't quite capture the colors in the camera so had a little tweak in ps to get it back to how I remember it .

This shot links to the theme in 3 ways for me....1) the light in the sky giving wonderful colors ( apparently casued by light reflecting/defracting through dust particles & 2) the power station generates electrickery which gives us Light & 3) the staion has lights on it !

DSC_3174 by llj666, on Flickr

I have posted this in another section but not got a lot a feedback on it so look forward to your comments....just remember it's the season of goodwill :D

the staion has lights on it !

:LOL:

Now I do like the power station photograph. It has a very tranquil feel to it.

I note it was taken at 55mm..was this the closest you could get? Also, for my learning an reason you used f5.6? Possibly hand held?

I had a quick edit to my personal taste: bumped a few things and did a crop. I'll post later if you want after others have responded. Again, it's to my taste..not wanting to distract from yours (y)

posiview said:

I note it was taken at 55mm..was this the closest you could get?

Lynne ignore Andy ' the egg' . How it is has captured marvellous colours but also this feeling of tranquility and isolation against the sky. (y) ;)

Hiya Lynne,

I love the colours in the sky and the golden and white colours of the building contrast well against sky and grass.

I agree with Tina, it could do with a slight straighten. Not sure if the WB is out too ... think you could try to bring back some of the punch in the sky colours and a sharpen would accentuation some of the finer details of the building.

As Kev said, it has a certain tranquil feel .... considering what the subject is and it brings back memories of a movie I saw many moons ago, can't recall the name of the film ... but it had something to do with a nuclear disaster :thinking:

Well done though for capturing the fantastic colour tones.

Cheers

Liking that Lynne. The colour in the sky is lovely. Have never seen a power station like that before. Only thing I would say is, the grass is a bit noisy/under exposed. But that is a minor point really. Well done!

Thanks Michael.....the grass is dark probably due to my settings but hey ho..:)

I love the tones in this but it feels squiffy, maybe a teeensy rotation left...or should I have another festive whisky?

Hi Tina....about a mm left would do it....couldn't manage it though, kept going to far so gave up :crying:

Hi Lynne,

I love the Light shot, the 'simple' colour and the tone. :clap:

Thanks Stan (y)

I note it was taken at 55mm..was this the closest you could get? Also, for my learning an reason you used f5.6? Possibly hand held?

I had a quick edit to my personal taste: bumped a few things and did a crop. I'll post later if you want after others have responded. Again, it's to my taste..not wanting to distract from yours (y)

There's always one :bonk: It did indeed feel tranquil...strange for a nuclear power station ! To get closer at that angle would have meant a bit of trespassing & I didn't fancy getting arrested :LOL: was using the kit 18-55 lens , the light was going so opened it up wide as possible & yes was hand held in a bit of a breeze...no where to put the tripod - the mud didn't look that safe ! I tweaked a bit in pse but couldn't go to far as it started to create odd pixelation type swirls in the sky - not sure why though as ISO was quite low think ??

Lynne ignore Andy ' the egg' . How it is has captured marvellous colours but also this feeling of tranquility and isolation against the sky. (y) ;)

Cheers Kev....had to laugh..Andy The Egg :LOL:

Hiya Lynne,

I love the colours in the sky and the golden and white colours of the building contrast well against sky and grass.

I agree with Tina, it could do with a slight straighten. Not sure if the WB is out too ... think you could try to bring back some of the punch in the sky colours and a sharpen would accentuation some of the finer details of the building.

As Kev said, it has a certain tranquil feel .... considering what the subject is and it brings back memories of a movie I saw many moons ago, can't recall the name of the film ... but it had something to do with a nuclear disaster :thinking:

Well done though for capturing the fantastic colour tones.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn...WB was set to auto , I did sharpen it ...maybe flickr has softened it ? As mentioned above I tweaked the colors a little but too much & swirly pixelation started happening so pulled it back...then again the sky colors were quite soft .

Could the film be Silkwood ?

I didn't say it wasn't a marvellous photograph and why would Lynne want to ignore a valid question?? :nono:

Would I ever ignore you Andy :p

Thanks Dawn...WB was set to auto , I did sharpen it ...maybe flickr has softened it ? As mentioned above I tweaked the colors a little but too much & swirly pixelation started happening so pulled it back...then again the sky colors were quite soft .

Could the film be Silkwood ?

Hiya Lynne,

I think you could have experimented with WB .... i.e., set it to daylight (especially as you didn't have much cloud), you could have also set the exposure compensation to approx -1 to bring some of the rich tones back.

I might be wrong with those suggestions .... but that is what I would have tried.

I haven't seen the rest of your metering settings, however I can see what you were aiming for here, and yes it has impact.

So well done :clap:

Cheers

Dawn x

Hiya Lynne,

I think you could have experimented with WB .... i.e., set it to daylight (especially as you didn't have much cloud), you could have also set the exposure compensation to approx -1 to bring some of the rich tones back.

I might be wrong with those suggestions .... but that is what I would have tried.

I haven't seen the rest of your metering settings, however I can see what you were aiming for here, and yes it has impact.

So well done :clap:

Cheers

Thanks for the tips Dawn...was fairly rushed so didn't play about as much as I should have. Had driven near on 700miles in 2 days,had 2 days quite stressful work , stayed up far to late the night before & just wanted to get home .Got plans to go back next year when hopefully work won't get in the way :D
Dawn x

So here we are ,week 52....woohoo...I made it :D Learnt some stuff , broadened my togging horizons (though suspect they won't be straight ! )met some GREAT people along the way & most importantly had loads of fun....frustrating , infuriating fun at times but fun none the less (y)

Enough babbling ( for now ) , on with the theme of Glass......knew immediately what I wanted to shoot so whizzed into Sheffield this afternoon & thankfully the sun came out & the sky was blue but it was DARN COLD :eek:

These are some upmarket flats... (or should I say Apartments :)) very near the centre of sheffield , getting them anywhere near straight was a fight but think I managed it ?

Played with the color & quite like this result :

DSC_3197 copy by llj666, on Flickr

Full color version at a different angle :

DSC_3199 copy by llj666, on Flickr

Big play in color - tungsten WB I think but again quite like the effect...going for the blue sky reflecting off the glass & metal work

DSC_3199a by llj666, on Flickr

Used a CPL filter ( not sure why though ?) , all handheld as too breezy for my wimpy tripod , liking the cloud reflections in the glass :)

Back