Blondie606's Photo52 2011-Wk 52 Glass & Nature,Challenge Complete

Hi Lynne,

Good effort on the weave shots. I love the fact that you have looked at new angles to shoot "boring old furniture" with! With the first shot I think it really needs a focus hook, like if there was a patch of furniture with a broken cane? Or a screw etc... Something to just lift us from the sea of cane!

I love the textures and light on the second cane shot, for me there are some really good dark dirty textures just under the horizontal section. :)

Your tapestry shot #1 is a clincher for me! :clap:
The rest are not needed in my opinion. The low angle, shallow DOF and colours make the first shot stand alone. The rest are just a record of the whole and don't add anything to the ability of the first shot to stand alone. Sometimes it is enough to say to the viewer, this is all you are going to see! :)

But overall a good eye for looking at the mundane in a non obvious way! Well done.
(y)

Adie

Hiya babes,

We need to organise a weekend or so where we can sit talking about cam/techniques/pp etc

Will be in contact with you regards same soon!

Cheers

Dx

Hi Dawn

sounds like a great idea....def need to pick your brains:)

Rapid 2 for me (the blur helping feel like it moving away...

Weave is really good too!

Cheers Vince...gladd you like & thanks for commenting (y)

Hi, weave #1, nice and literal, but #2 for me. Nice idea for a triptych and I'm glad you did them in that order. I'd like to see all the weave in the first panel in focus and I'm not sure about the border. Can't think what I'd prefer at the moment, though.

Thanks Andy ...still getting to grips with focus on the macro lens..slow but I'll get there :)

Nice shots for weave, however I am not a fan of the collage look. So for me, number 1 in your second entry hits the spot for me (y)

Cheers Joe...couldn't help myself with tryptych...

Oh had an idea (don't get 'em often) for your audi pic...

If you go to by the signs then take several portrait style shots of the tree line, stitch them together (autostitch?) and then you will have a clean line for the background. Shrink the panoramic down until its around the same as teh tree in the pic, use a mask to show the car through where you want it to show.

As to reflections borrow or buy a cpl filter to reduce/eliminate the reflections.

Keep up the great pics!

Thanks for the info Vince....autosticth?? Only just getting to grips with one photo let alone stiching them together :LOL:

Hi

I think your weave shots are good. I'd go for either the of the first two images in each set... and just have single shots... If that makes sense?!?!

I've not done any macro photography for years used to do it on a pentax k1000 with a 50mm prime and extension tubes... and the focus was actually defo the hardest thing to get right. The one thing you really need to understand with it is depth of field! I tended to shoot 100% of macro off a tripod as that allowed me to shoot at f16. Also it gaurded against soft shots due to camera shake which when shooting so close in subjects even a very slight movement can soften edges. I always cused a cable release too. You mentioned shooting at the angle too... that is hard but just a function of needing more DOF. A macro lens is defo my next equipment purchase in the next year.

Keep at it though and great images.

As for your rapid shot... I like the edit in #644 best ... The car itself does all the speed suggestions the shot actually needs. Adie is right I dont think PP filters ever work to create an efect... they can enhance one but rarely can you use them to create effect that where never in the original shot. (in my opinion)

Mark

Thanks Mark....need to remember to use the tripod more :bonk: The Rapid shot was def a marmite one ...I do have cpl filters....unfortunately not for that particular lens...the list of " must buys " grows ever longer :D

Hi Lynne,

Good effort on the weave shots. I love the fact that you have looked at new angles to shoot "boring old furniture" with! With the first shot I think it really needs a focus hook, like if there was a patch of furniture with a broken cane? Or a screw etc... Something to just lift us from the sea of cane!

I love the textures and light on the second cane shot, for me there are some really good dark dirty textures just under the horizontal section. :)

Your tapestry shot #1 is a clincher for me! :clap:
The rest are not needed in my opinion. The low angle, shallow DOF and colours make the first shot stand alone. The rest are just a record of the whole and don't add anything to the ability of the first shot to stand alone. Sometimes it is enough to say to the viewer, this is all you are going to see! :)

But overall a good eye for looking at the mundane in a non obvious way! Well done.
(y)

Adie

Many thanks for all your advice Adie...this was one of those weeks where whichever shot I posted I knew someone would think 1 was enough :LOL:

& so to week 43...more shots for this one...struggledd to get a d0-able idea but now have 1 more I want to try !
I took abstract to mean something a bit odd...maybe a whole but not the usual colors....a section of something that makes you wonder what it was ??

From reading various replies to other threads on this theme I have come to the conclusion that Abstract ( like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder & can be quite a contentious subject ....so heres a few that some will like & others not....ready for all the comments...

bit of a cheat 1st...B&W conversion as per a couple of comments for a shot from last weeks theme...

Abstract 1 by llj666, on Flickr

& another B&W...for some reason I think Abstract may work better as B&W but stand to be corrected.....:LOL:

Abstract 2 by llj666, on Flickr

Not really sure about this one but liked it....

Abstract 3 by llj666, on Flickr

& finally....more messing with pp...

Abstract 4 by llj666, on Flickr

off to cook dinner now...back later to catch up on all your posts ...ttfn :wave:

Abstract #3 for me. It is sufficiently unidentifiable to be truly abstract and is pleasing to the eye in tones and composition (y)

:thinks: Demonstration of the fibonacci sequence :thinks:

Thanks Tina...appreciate you popping in :)

Hiya Lynne, I I like number 3 too, like the black and white, suits it well. The trees look better when clicked for large.

Cheers Michael......not tree's though ;)

Hiya Lynne,

Well done on the abstract theme. #3 is my fav, I love the composition and the b&w works well.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Lynne,

Well done on the abstract theme. #3 is my fav, I love the composition and the b&w works well.

Cheers

No 3 ... Stonker... wish i'd shot it myself... Job done... bring on Week 44!

Lynne ..love number three ..it did my head in looking at the spiral.... Almost felt I was falling into it..

Thanks All (y) I do find this togging lark quite bemusing at times....of the 4 images I posted I thought that nu 3 was the least abstract .....:shrug: Wrong again :LOL:

Crikey...week 44...only another 8 weeks of torture ( hell fire , that means christmas is coming :LOL: ).....on the bright side , I strongly suspect there's a few who'll be back for more next year....oh yes indeedy (y)

Soon as I saw the theme I knew what I wanted to shoot ....nothing terribly exciting ! I've sort of offered to tog at a friend of a friends wedding next year (only if she was really really mega desperate....turns out she is :eek: ) & been itching to try this shot ....

Pair by llj666, on Flickr

& yes , there is possibly a slight blue cast...can't imagine why :LOL:
Shot in natural light , slight tweak to enhance the blue background , found it quite hard to get the silver trims in focus....but have to say I'm quite pleased ...so c'mon......I'm ready....rip me to pieces :p

tina.. i think its lynne's PP ... i didn't want to mention but the blue seems a bit strained..strange even.. but it still has good feeling to it... or maybe i just have a shoe fetish and can't complain..:shrug:

Hiya Lynne,

Fab pair of shoes. Love the blue background, only thing is on my monitor it seems like there is something a bit odd with parts of the bg ... especially to the right of the shoes.

Well done though on the composition.

Cheers

I'm liking the rustic feel of your abstracts.

#3 for me and b&w works well. I'm really drawing down the tunnel.. .. I'd like to see more detail in the whateveritis. I how the lines of the BG emphasise the curves of the whateveritis.

Pair, well composed, a little tight at the bottom. Seems to have a misty look on my laptop. I've just tilted my screen and looks much better. Nice shoes BTW...(y)

Cheers.

You worry me Andy :eek:

:agree:

Lynne, depending on the size of the shoes, I think Andy might want to borrow them for the end of 52 meet :LOL:

Cheers

I like the abstract entry...the weave one...has a better "punch" with the mono conversion.

Cheers Jeff....I'm getting to like mono conversions...even if I'm not very good at them :LOL:
...now..where have i seen shoes like that pair lynne... ;)

I have no idea Kev...:naughty:

That is spot on theme (y) :LOL:

Strange sort of hazy look on my monitor. But of course, I can't remember cleaning my glasses....but telly looks ok (I multitask :nuts:)

Thanks Tina....the image seems to look better when viewed large for some reason...& did'nt see the haze on flickr....:shrug: Howvere , the lens has gone for a check over....

tina.. i think its lynne's PP ... i didn't want to mention but the blue seems a bit strained..strange even.. but it still has good feeling to it... or maybe i just have a shoe fetish and can't complain..:shrug:

Yup , think I over cooked the blue saturation :crying: & as for your fetish Kev..:naughty:

I prefer the abstract take on your weave image than the original weave.

As for abstract, I like the last one.
Both are abstract, but the blue version has more appeal.

And the pair of shoe work for the theme.
Love the blue.

Thanks Neil...I thought the blue one was more abstract...glad someone else did to (y)

Hiya Lynne,

Fab pair of shoes. Love the blue background, only thing is on my monitor it seems like there is something a bit odd with parts of the bg ... especially to the right of the shoes.

Well done though on the composition.

Cheers

Hi Hun...the righthand side of the BG is a shadow...it's an evening dress, sort of satin so depending on how the light hit it I got shadows & highlights .

Like that one Lynne, works very well, great composition. Have you tried a b+w version?

Cheers Michael....wanted to keep the color for this one , got another color variation that I may post up ,just from messing with pp

I'm liking the rustic feel of your abstracts.

#3 for me and b&w works well. I'm really drawing down the tunnel.. .. I'd like to see more detail in the whateveritis. I how the lines of the BG emphasise the curves of the whateveritis.

Pair, well composed, a little tight at the bottom. Seems to have a misty look on my laptop. I've just tilted my screen and looks much better. Nice shoes BTW...(y)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy....I have now officially renamed the spiral thing the "whateveritis":LOL:

The misty haze was bugging me , but only really saw it on here & seems to lessen when viewed large .The lens I used has gone off to be looked over....it hit the footwell of the car doing about 30mph a week ago( in my rucksack) when someone didn't stop behind me in time ...it's not been quite right since then
You worry me Andy :eek:

Lynne, depending on the size of the shoes, I think Andy might want to borrow them for the end of 52 meet :LOL:

Cheers

I'll remember to bring the shoes for Andy..... & maybe the dress for Neil :LOL:

Not a lot to add :)
Ideal for the theme - shoes.

I think you chose a very difficult backdrop to light without creating the "effects" of shadows, blues, brightspots, highlights etc.

Agree about the crop a little too tight at the bottom...

Not a lot to add :)
Ideal for the theme - shoes.

I think you chose a very difficult backdrop to light without creating the "effects" of shadows, blues, brightspots, highlights etc.

Agree about the crop a little too tight at the bottom...

Thanks Jeff....yup...the BG was a bit of a mare, not helped by my heavy hand in PP :eek: Have decided that the fuzziness is def an issue with the lens...found out today that the IS is kaput thanks to the accident :crying:

Gonna have a reshoot once I get the lens back as I agree on the crop as well ...thanks for the feedback (y)

Safe....think this must take 1st place as the least inspiring theme for me :crying: Thought of plenty of UNSAFE images but couldn't ge my head round safe at all . Went out last sunday & took about 20 shots of what I thought would fit the bill....then promptly managed to delete them from the computer last night in error :bang:

So , rather than start fretting I grabbed a couple of shots this evening...this is meant to be fun so I ain't gonna get depressed over mediocre shots for a theme I dislike !

Tried different processing on this one...the idea being....oh hell....I have no idea what the idea was :LOL:

Safe 1 by llj666, on Flickr

Night vision effect...like someone was eyeing the padlock at night to break in ?

Now....I have another submission that is a different take altogether on SAFE...Googled the "meaning of Safe" & found the following in the Free Dictionary By Farlex...right down near the bottom :LOL:

DSC_0693 by llj666, on Flickr

Admittedly this is a shot borrowed from my Oktoberfest project....& for those shakiing their heads & muttering....." That don't say safe to me "...go check out the aforementioned dictionary :D

Well, you're right, I am stood here going :thinking: about the ducks, but who doesn't like a nice duck....admittedly, with honey sauce...:nono:

Padlock is a great take on the theme. Without the processing it would, as I'm sure you appreciate, a rather :shrug: photograph. The processing transforms it into a great photograph with a real Syphon Filter feel to it. Sheesh, I miss that game...:puke:

Now I did wonder about the composition, but how it is presented gives it a real life feel.

Cheers from me...now where are my old PC shoot 'em up games...

A safe or ducks, it could be an American use of the word.

Nice bit of research though :)

Today has been a learning day, assuming that is Farlex is telling me the collective term for two ducks is Safe :thinking:

Like the idea behind the lock, ie the night vision.

Thanks Neil.....the night vision was a last minute decision :D
^^^^^^

I thought two ducks were a brace? Ahh well, the beauties of the English language is the vastness of our vocabulary!

You're right there Tina....so glad we have Google !

Well, you're right, I am stood here going :thinking: about the ducks, but who doesn't like a nice duck....admittedly, with honey sauce...:nono:

Padlock is a great take on the theme. Without the processing it would, as I'm sure you appreciate, a rather :shrug: photograph. The processing transforms it into a great photograph with a real Syphon Filter feel to it. Sheesh, I miss that game...:puke:

Now I did wonder about the composition, but how it is presented gives it a real life feel.

Cheers from me...now where are my old PC shoot 'em up games...

Much appreciate the feedback Andy....was a terribly blurgh shot but glad it turned into something better....Dawn has made me look at using processing in a different way & this time it worked....yaaaay !
As for Duck...Plum sauce very time (y)

A safe or ducks, it could be an American use of the word.

Nice bit of research though :)

Thanks for popping in Sam....don't ya just love Google...

Liking the night vision style Lynne! Now the ducks got me thinking, an interesting use of the word safe.

Cheers Michael....must admit I did look several times when I came across the Free Dictionary's version of safe....here it is....

Safe of ducks: a sore of ducks; two ducks. See also sord.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms.

Not sure if it's American or just Old English...but I like it (y)

hi lynne.. SAFE raised the hairs on the back of my neck... somethign SAW like about it...still good shot though..

and as for safety in numbers i read into the ducks? that does look familiar :D

Hiya Lynne,

Well done on both your safe shots .... talk about learning something new every day.

The night vision has worked well on the lock and the photo of the ducks is spot on!

Well done :clap:

Cheers

Back