weekly Blondies 2012 52 wk52 BUSY - Finished !

nice shot have to agree with what everyone else says can't add anything

Hi Hun , thanks for popping in....only very slightly jealous that you've been back to the boat house :razz: Will def have to catch up in person soon , I really need a break & Cumbria sounds just the ticket (y)

Hiya hun,

Yep a meet up in the Cumbria sounds just the thing the doctor ordered, you let me know when you are free and I will make a plan to get there too.

I have to say I love the Week 45 photo ... it would make a brilliant product shot.

You are doing a great job with your 52, yet again. I will have to think about doing another next year. Will you be attempting it again in 2013?

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Dawn x

when I saw this I also thought that it could be used for a promo, but I also agree with Alan about the bg merging with the towels, maybe a cream bg or pale blue would have helped?

now then, next time I expect you to get some hardboard and make up a tiled bg especially - complete with tiled step :LOL: :LOL: (sorry, made me laugh tho)

Hi, hope you're feeling better.

Cracking product photograph. Is it called a pack? ;)

Well composed and exposed. Nice and sharp.

Perhaps a paler BG, maybe. Not to obsess but feels a tad tight bottom and left.

Not a Christmas present by any chance :D

Cheers and wow, it's nearly week 46 :eek:

I will catchup on your thread tomorrow hopefully.

Pack - nice shot, agree with Sarahs comments. Looks pro! Hope you got to indulge :)

Thanks for popping Alex , good to see you back :)

Hi Lynne - Pack - good idea for theme and i do like the composition and layout of the towels and the spa products - you certainly go to town on props - no expense spared :). Good light on the items and you have managed to make the towels look uber soft. (y)

My only problem is the b/g and f/g (and I may say now that it may be diff on my monitor to yours). I can't work out if it is a towel, a bath mat or a carpet and if it is flat or whether it curves up behind the items (at a point where the colour changes on the rhs). It is such a close colour match to the towels that it prob does not set them off as well as a contrast colour. Nice shot nonetheless.
Thanks SP , appreciate the feedback . The BG is another towel , slightly lighter in color.Wanted a tiled bg but couldn't manage it in my bathroom. The rhs niggles me , couldn't blend the colors well enough - think I caused the problem bby trying to iron out a crease :LOL:

Short but hopefully sweet feedback on the shots. Some really strong ones there!

Body - great detail on this, nice focus and come out well.

Up - lovely and bright. Definitely says up to me!

Duo - love it, B&W makes this shot. #1 is my fav for the light hitting the clouds.

Flow - spoilt of choice. #1 looks a bit like a painting. #2 works well as a B&W, brings out the details. For the purposes of the theme I would maybe chop a little off the top but it might spoil the shot.

Friendship - good attempt at people pictures. I know what you mean about feeling a bit uneasy. You just feel like everyone is watching.

Change - #1 edited for me. Good DOF and caught the detail well.

Natural - #1 for me, cracking shot!

Age - nice flower shots, crisp clear and the colour of the flower has come through well.

Spread - loving the spiders web!!

Together - Peeeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssss. I vote for this one, and will eat #2!

Many thanks for the mega catch up Alex , time is always a premium so really appreciate it & glad you like the shots.To late with the apple pie though...all gone :D

Hiya Lynne, that is certainly a very nice pic, composition and lighting are great and the colour is very nice too.

Thanks Michael (y)

Great shot. I could imagine seeing this in a brochure or advertising. The lighting is superb.

Many thanks for your kind comments Peter :)

nice shot have to agree with what everyone else says can't add anything

Cheers Aj (y)

Hiya hun,

Yep a meet up in the Cumbria sounds just the thing the doctor ordered, you let me know when you are free and I will make a plan to get there too.

I have to say I love the Week 45 photo ... it would make a brilliant product shot.

You are doing a great job with your 52, yet again. I will have to think about doing another next year. Will you be attempting it again in 2013?

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Dawn x

Thanks hun....yup , commited to next year already...saturdays just wouldn't be the same without a 52 to fret about :eek:

when I saw this I also thought that it could be used for a promo, but I also agree with Alan about the bg merging with the towels, maybe a cream bg or pale blue would have helped?

now then, next time I expect you to get some hardboard and make up a tiled bg especially - complete with tiled step :LOL: :LOL: (sorry, made me laugh tho)

Funny you should say that Summer...clearing out the spare room I found a box of spare tiles from when I did the bathroom........reshoot maybe ???

Hi, hope you're feeling better.

Cracking product photograph. Is it called a pack? ;)

Well composed and exposed. Nice and sharp.

Perhaps a paler BG, maybe. Not to obsess but feels a tad tight bottom and left.

Not a Christmas present by any chance :D

Cheers and wow, it's nearly week 46 :eek:

Cheers Matey....still feeling pants but hey ho...cracking on still. Don't have a darker or lighter BG available & in fairness I wanted to keep all the color tones similar but can see what you ( & others) are saying .& yes , chrissy pressie form 2 years ago...my silly sensitive skin won't let me use it :crying:

A great shot Lynne, but the BG lets it down for me.
More contrast required between product and BG.
Perhaps if the BG wasn't as close to the subject the lighting fall off would help seperate the two.

Hi ya stranger....can see what you're saying but no other BG available & couldn't move the towels further from the BG cos they'd have fallen on the floor :LOL:

Bloomin 'eck...week 46 already , not many left now...getting quite sad till I remember....there's always next year :LOL:

Not felt like leaving the house this weekend , nose like rudolphs & have to take a huge box of tissues with me wherever I go so little bit of a cheat for me . When I saw the theme I knew what I wanted to try ,I suscribe to Digital Photo mag & thought this would be a great week to try one of their tutorials....turning a photo in to a water color image. Marsha's nagging bout learning photoshop stuff also helped (y)

So , I had 2 attempts , not brilliant results but not too bad...they were both images I took whilst over at the Manx this year, possibly not the best start images due to the sky in 2 & smoke in 1 but hey , gotta start somewhere

#1 Manx Steam train at Port St Mary ( I think )

Art by llj666, on Flickr
Really annoyed about the straight edge in the steam but still , it was my 1st attempt :)

#2 Yer Maun....the late great Joey Dunlop memorial at the Bungalow

Art 2 " Yer Maun " by llj666, on Flickr

Quite good fun doing these , can see me trying to get shots that are more suited...but can also see this getting addictive :LOL:

Hopefully I'll be back feeling better by next weekend & able to get out with the camera...ttfn :wave:

Last edited:
Hope your better soon Lynne.

Your pack shot's really good. Love the natural tones.

Love the art shots. Good work.

I hope I can get my Art shot in early.

'ello, I assume you're in bed with hankies and Lemsip Max (y)

#1 for me, it has Art in buckets and I do like the textured feel to it. Well composed and nice colours, especially the red front to the train. Pity the train driver wasn't looking at you. Bit more of a smoke trail would be the icing on the cake.

Take care...

no 2 for me it looks more like what you were trying to achieve and 1 the composition of the train in the shot is not as good as it could be

Hope you feel better soon Lynne (y) 2 good pics there for the artistic style. Out if the 2, I prefer number 1, it has worked out really well. Number 2 is almost there, just needs a little something to bring the head out a little more.

Cheers Michael....agree with your comment on the head....can see me practicing this technique quite a lot as really enjoyed it (y)

Hope your better soon Lynne.

Your pack shot's really good. Love the natural tones.

Love the art shots. Good work.

I hope I can get my Art shot in early.

Many thanks Robert :)

'ello, I assume you're in bed with hankies and Lemsip Max (y)

#1 for me, it has Art in buckets and I do like the textured feel to it. Well composed and nice colours, especially the red front to the train. Pity the train driver wasn't looking at you. Bit more of a smoke trail would be the icing on the cake.

Take care...

Cheers Andy , struggled with getting the smoke right but it was my 1st attempt , got another tain image I may just have a play with :LOL:

no 2 for me it looks more like what you were trying to achieve and 1 the composition of the train in the shot is not as good as it could be

Thanks Allan , I do prefer the more pastel tones in #2 but was really just playing to see what I could learn .
You mention the composition of the train....this is where I get frustrated....how could I improve it ? where should the train be in the image or is that not what you were meaning ? There was a little more room for it to drive in to in the original ( but not a lot) & the pole doesn't help but it's there & my cloning is not that good :(
I'll be back on the Isle of Man at some point in the next few months so advice much appreciated as I will be trying again (y)

You mention the composition of the train....this is where I get frustrated....how could I improve it ? where should the train be in the image or is that not what you were meaning ? There was a little more room for it to drive in to in the original

One would assume that compositionally there should be more room at the front, but a quick Google search of 'steam train photographs' shows most with very little room at the front. Maybe Allan isn't referring to this.

Cheers.

what i meant was if the subject is a train which it is, the train should dominate the image in some way, in this the front of the train ends up too central. The angle of the train is great, I know the train is the only thing really in the picture but it doesn't dominate it. I don't know if that makes any sense, it has to be really large in the pic or drawing your eye to it in the distance.

that is of course only my opinion i could be wrong :wacky:

I love the train one, only thing I will say is that the lamp post is leading my eye away from the train, I would maybe try erasing it (with your art eraser lol), but the pp is wonderful :clap: and the colours :banana:

Wow Lynne! I look away for a while, and what happens; you turn into a master photographer! You weren't half bad before, but some of these are stunners!

Natural, I love the 'shrooms (or whatever they are). It almost looks like a studio shot.

Age is nice. The photo's themselves are perfect IMHO, but I'm not sure about the presentation; maybe a vertical tryptic would work better?

Spread 1 and 2 are both absolutely breathtaking; print, frame, hang, sell!!

Spread 3 is another stunner; what can I say it's just perfect.

Together I'd go for the peas; very clever take on the theme nicely shot.

The pie; very nice, but a touch ordinary compared to your other recent shots.

Pack I'm not keen on, not because of anything you've done, but just because the tones do nothing for me. Sorry :(

Art though, both are great, but I like the second one best; see, you can do PP!!

Pack, as others have said lovely lighting, definitely could be a product shot (y)

When I saw the theme I knew what I wanted to try ,I suscribe to Digital Photo mag & thought this would be a great week to try one of their tutorials....turning a photo in to a water color image. Marsha's nagging bout learning photoshop stuff also helped (y)

real nice processing you have done... Bless Marsha for the PS nagging :LOL:

Me, nag? Never :whistle:

I guess it paid off a bit though as your art shots both look good. It's certainly a way to save a shot that may not be the sharpest/ best, I know I've used a paint style on a photo I loved but had missed the focus! I like the train shot most, although the post on the LHS is a little distracting!. The bike shot would look good as a post card:thinking:

I'll not mention the fact you cheated for these by using older photos, but I do hope you're feeling much better now.

Hi Lynne,

Apologies for for the delay in getting around to commenting.....

Together - I like the peas in a pod them and they look very fresh on the white background. Your 1st image of pie and custard is my preferred image out of the two and I feel the composition is slightly stronger. Both images look very sharp and clean. Nice work. Obviously food photography is for you :)

Pack - Looks very professional, again very sharp and nicely composed and the towel set could pass for a product shot. That reminds me, If you have any spare time my bathroom could do with a makeover and the feminine touch.

Art - I'm not normally a fan of faux art but your image of a the little train is very reminiscent of the hand coloured postcards that were popular in the late 50s. For that reason I think it works very well.

what i meant was if the subject is a train which it is, the train should dominate the image in some way, in this the front of the train ends up too central. The angle of the train is great, I know the train is the only thing really in the picture but it doesn't dominate it. I don't know if that makes any sense, it has to be really large in the pic or drawing your eye to it in the distance.

that is of course only my opinion i could be wrong :wacky:

Think I get what you're saying...maybe :thinking:

I love the train one, only thing I will say is that the lamp post is leading my eye away from the train, I would maybe try erasing it (with your art eraser lol), but the pp is wonderful :clap: and the colours :banana:

Cheers Summer....the lampost bugged me but no way could I clone (or erase)
it well enough for it to not be noticeable . Glad you like the pp :)

Another vote for #1. Possibly because there's a greater range of colours I feel the conversion of #1 has worked better out of the two of them.

Cheers Peter , Joeys memorial doesn't have the greatest range of tones to start with so was always gonna be a gamble on the end result The train is growing on me :)

Hi Lynne

And another for No: 1... real nice processing you have done... Bless Marsha for the PS nagging :LOL:

Cheers Dk....decided I needed to have a play & see what could be done , not spot on but at least I know I learnt something (y)

Wow Lynne! I look away for a while, and what happens; you turn into a master photographer! You weren't half bad before, but some of these are stunners!

Natural, I love the 'shrooms (or whatever they are). It almost looks like a studio shot.

Age is nice. The photo's themselves are perfect IMHO, but I'm not sure about the presentation; maybe a vertical tryptic would work better?

Spread 1 and 2 are both absolutely breathtaking; print, frame, hang, sell!!

Spread 3 is another stunner; what can I say it's just perfect.

Together I'd go for the peas; very clever take on the theme nicely shot.

The pie; very nice, but a touch ordinary compared to your other recent shots.

Pack I'm not keen on, not because of anything you've done, but just because the tones do nothing for me. Sorry :(

Art though, both are great, but I like the second one best; see, you can do PP!!

You are way to kind Mark :nuts: thanks for the mega catch up & very nice comments (y)

Pack, as others have said lovely lighting, definitely could be a product shot (y)

Me, nag? Never :whistle:

I guess it paid off a bit though as your art shots both look good. It's certainly a way to save a shot that may not be the sharpest/ best, I know I've used a paint style on a photo I loved but had missed the focus! I like the train shot most, although the post on the LHS is a little distracting!. The bike shot would look good as a post card:thinking:

I'll not mention the fact you cheated for these by using older photos, but I do hope you're feeling much better now.

Cheers Marsha...appreciate your nagging bout pp...quite enjoyed doing those images , though I must add -both were in focus to start with . That lamp post bugs me as well , but hey , it's there in real life...& my pp hasn't progressed to cloning out such large objects successfully :LOL:
& yes , older images they were but as got up n go got up & went thought I'd try to learn something different...& think I managed it . Still feeling pants though :crying:
Hi Lynne,

Apologies for for the delay in getting around to commenting.....

Together - I like the peas in a pod them and they look very fresh on the white background. Your 1st image of pie and custard is my preferred image out of the two and I feel the composition is slightly stronger. Both images look very sharp and clean. Nice work. Obviously food photography is for you :)

Pack - Looks very professional, again very sharp and nicely composed and the towel set could pass for a product shot. That reminds me, If you have any spare time my bathroom could do with a makeover and the feminine touch.

Art - I'm not normally a fan of faux art but your image of a the little train is very reminiscent of the hand coloured postcards that were popular in the late 50s. For that reason I think it works very well.

Appreciate you taking the time to catch up & comment nick , & thanks for the great comments (y)

Week 47....dragged myself outta bed earlyish this morning...wanted to capture a sunrise for color ,but alas wasn't up quite early enough :bang:

Got a few shots to meet the them but not convinced or happy with any of them really.& I clean forgot it's a reshoot week :eek: & I've just realised I've not uploaded them to flickr yet...back in a bit :LOL:

Right , up load sorted...what a nitwit :LOL:

2 very blahhhhh shots for the theme....

Color by llj666, on Flickr
Taken in the local woods , 3 shots , lightly HDr'd as wasn't sure about the exposure & really wanted to make sure I got the full color range in...the tree's were almost glowing green as they were covered in lichens

Color 2 by llj666, on Flickr
knew I wanted to do a bit of SC'ing.... not turned out quite how i wanted it due partly to cheapo pencils & severe lack of patience laying them out !

what did I learn today

I need more patience when doing fiddly things ( thinner fingers would help as well !
I enjoy doing HDR
It's no fun trying to take photo's when your nose won't stop sniffling :bonk:

Reshoot.....took a gamble on a shot in Spain , hand held in a chilly breeze , hoping that an abstract image would come in handy at some point . Quite like how it turned out so gonna use this as my reshoot just in case I don't get time to do anything else this week

DSC_4756 by llj666, on Flickr

Hi Lynne :wave:

#1 gets my vote for art too.
I do like the treatment you've given to the image and it helps it into the theme. The original photo wouldn't necessarily say art to me but then thats the point of the watercolour pp isn't it? ;)

As mentioned, I could see this as a postcard which would sell well to steam train enthusiasts, it does have an olde world feel to it.

All round good work Missus (y)

Thats a snap then for the trees pic :p I like mine better :LOL: then I would say that. I like the pencils too but you have a cheek complaining about my sloppy lines.

Abstract is excellent very unusual building :clap:

Colour - You beat me to the pencils idea. A good take on the theme

Abstract - I like this one. Just concentrating on one part of the building makes it work well

Hi Lynne

Colour - good ideas, both on theme.
#1 has a bit too much greenin it for my taste - partic the lichen on the tree trunks.

#2 is an excellent idea and well handled exposure and light. Like the way that it is off centre.

As a part time member of the OCD group, I think that the RHS looks a bit odd. Also, if you had used 8 pencils for the centre group then you would have been able to avoid the 2 reds being together on the LHS. How's that for picky :D. But there again the width of the pencils may have prevented you using 8 and getting them all touching properly and so you would have had to go out and buy thicker pencils and then .... :bang:

Still an original idea (y)

Abstract - I really like that. (y) Very simple, beautiful colours and black b/g and good comp. I would have that on the wall. As a matter of interest, where is it?

Hi Lynne :)

Number 1 isn't doing it for me, and in fact looks a little too yellow on my (calibrated) screen.

Number 2 is a clever take on the old pencil cliche, and a good use of the colour popping one too; two cliches taken away from being cliches because you've used them so well. BUT, the fact that you have two red pencils next to each other on the left, instead of continuing with red/blue/red/blue, and the blunt red one at the top, is frustrating me no end!

Number 3 for abstract would work for colour too; talk about saving the best for last! I can't fault it; perfect composition and almost perfect exposure (it's blown in the white at the top of the building) :)

Last edited:
I like the pencils but for me the image needs to be central. However, I have noticed a very weird effect when I scroll up and down past them rapidly :LOL:

'ello you (y)

I feel like I should be in bed, getting ready for tomorrow...but too excited...and...err...had too much caffeine...:nuts:

Colour #1, nice low angle and processing. Not too keen on the space lower left. I might have tried to include the path :thinking: on the right a bit more.

Colour #2, another one that isn't easy to get right. They have to be absolutely spot on. You've done a good job....but missed it a bit, here and there. I tend not to use square format very often but feel it would work here.

Reshoot, liking this one a lot. Cracking angle, composition and good use of negative space. Has solarised Man Ray feel to it clicky linky

Cheers.

Pack - A great advertising shot and well balanced lighting
Art - #1 is my preference due to colours and angle but agree with others could make train more dominant.
Colour - Great for HDR, bringing out colour without over doing it. Think #2 is a winner though with simplicity and SC
Reshoot - Can't fault for an abstract, great angle

Really liking the wood scene Lynne, the colours are really vibrant, they jump out. The crayons, that is one great picture! Love the sc, it would really make a great print I reckon, I would like to see all the points sharp on the pencils. Abstract, like it.

Cheers Michael.... there's too many fault witht he pencils for me to be happy with it but the idea has potential...all I need is a shed load of patience & a pencil sharpener:LOL:

Hi Lynne :wave:

#1 gets my vote for art too.
I do like the treatment you've given to the image and it helps it into the theme. The original photo wouldn't necessarily say art to me but then thats the point of the watercolour pp isn't it? ;)

As mentioned, I could see this as a postcard which would sell well to steam train enthusiasts, it does have an olde world feel to it.

All round good work Missus (y)

Thanks Iain...pleased for a 1st attempt

Thats a snap then for the trees pic :p I like mine better :LOL: then I would say that. I like the pencils too but you have a cheek complaining about my sloppy lines.

Abstract is excellent very unusual building :clap:

Ooops...pot n kettle eh :LOL: Fiddly little beggars those pencils

Oooo Colour - Tough choice... I think I'm going to choose the pencils, like the off centre composition, my vision gets drawn in nicely (y)

Thanks DK

Hi Lynne

Hope that you are feeling better.

Art - those are good - never tried it myself so will have to have a go sometime.

Can't really add anything new to the other comments but I do like the old fashioned feel to #1 and the bright yet faded nature of the colours(y)

Thanks Alan (y)

Colour - You beat me to the pencils idea. A good take on the theme

Abstract - I like this one. Just concentrating on one part of the building makes it work well
Thanks Peter , sp is a matter of taste , which I quite like....
The builing was a grab shot , silly ISo n hand held but liked the result

Hi Lynne

Colour - good ideas, both on theme.
#1 has a bit too much greenin it for my taste - partic the lichen on the tree trunks.

#2 is an excellent idea and well handled exposure and light. Like the way that it is off centre.

As a part time member of the OCD group, I think that the RHS looks a bit odd. Also, if you had used 8 pencils for the centre group then you would have been able to avoid the 2 reds being together on the LHS. How's that for picky :D. But there again the width of the pencils may have prevented you using 8 and getting them all touching properly and so you would have had to go out and buy thicker pencils and then .... :bang:

Still an original idea (y)

Abstract - I really like that. (y) Very simple, beautiful colours and black b/g and good comp. I would have that on the wall. As a matter of interest, where is it?

Cheers Allan....I never noticed the 2 red pencils till someone here mentioned it Even number would have worked - you're right about that & all the other things you've mentioned......

The tree's are as shot...sun was shining through from the left & really making the lichen look flourescent

The buliding is the Hotel in Zaragoza that we had the Golf 7 evening event at last week....all the outside windows were illuminated in VW Blue with some being illuminated in white to create a 7

Hi Lynne :)

Number 1 isn't doing it for me, and in fact looks a little too yellow on my (calibrated) screen.

Number 2 is a clever take on the old pencil cliche, and a good use of the colour popping one too; two cliches taken away from being cliches because you've used them so well. BUT, the fact that you have two red pencils next to each other on the left, instead of continuing with red/blue/red/blue, and the blunt red one at the top, is frustrating me no end!

Number 3 for abstract would work for colour too; talk about saving the best for last! I can't fault it; perfect composition and almost perfect exposure (it's blown in the white at the top of the building) :)

Cheers Mark....I don't have a calibrated screen so can only say that on mine it's more greeny yellow and is as was....sun shining thought making the lichen on the tree's really glow
& yes , the pencil's were odd number's so I messed up....lesson learnt for the reshoot !

Glad you like the abstract...I'm amazed it turned out as really was a grab shot...:p about the blown bit...blame VW for making the lighing too bright

I like the pencils but for me the image needs to be central. However, I have noticed a very weird effect when I scroll up and down past them rapidly :LOL:
I've been scrolling & scrolling & am none the wiser....what ya seeing missus ??

'ello you (y)

I feel like I should be in bed, getting ready for tomorrow...but too excited...and...err...had too much caffeine...:nuts:

Colour #1, nice low angle and processing. Not too keen on the space lower left. I might have tried to include the path :thinking: on the right a bit more.

Colour #2, another one that isn't easy to get right. They have to be absolutely spot on. You've done a good job....but missed it a bit, here and there. I tend not to use square format very often but feel it would work here.

Reshoot, liking this one a lot. Cracking angle, composition and good use of negative space. Has solarised Man Ray feel to it clicky linky

Cheers.

Thanks Andy.....lay off the caffiene mister ................

Pack - A great advertising shot and well balanced lighting
Art - #1 is my preference due to colours and angle but agree with others could make train more dominant.
Colour - Great for HDR, bringing out colour without over doing it. Think #2 is a winner though with simplicity and SC
Reshoot - Can't fault for an abstract, great angle

Thanks Fazer , appreciate your comments

Right...getting a little lost with this new format so posting my pic's here as usual....simply so I have half a clue which image is being commented on...

Reshoot for Color to start with...my original pic bugged me so had another try...not sure if it's better but ...with fat fingers the layout was the best I could manage....& there's still one green pencil that is a smidge out of line :bang:

Color reshoot by llj666, on Flickr

Week 48....Shadow

fancied havin a go at this for a while...my take on a very old theme.....

Shadow by llj666, on Flickr

Dark patch on the ring is irritating but not knowledgeable enough with lighting to get it right , the writing slops slightly as the pages were trying to close , the ring is slightly on the squiff but gave up trying to get it straight as it didn't want to stand up at all :bonk:

Last edited:
Hi, Lynne, Colour is much, much better and your 99% there :D

Shadow, wow, folk are really producing the goods so far this week. You've picked up some nice texture in the paper and the shadow tones on the ring are nice, I like how it fades towards the lower section. You've mentioned the cri.

:clap:

I'm stood here scratching my head. I went out to see if I co uld get some long shadows at sunset but was too late :bonk:

Cheers.

Back