weekly Bobby Gold's 52 Weeks 2014: Week 13 - STEP added

Hi Simon, Sorry I'm a little late to post in your thread (though I did comment on Flickr). I can't really offer much in the way of critique which is why I've not got around to commenting until now. You're off to a great start; creative interpretations (Play could just as easily have been the submission for Smoke) and it's obvious that lighting is one of your strengths. Your Bubble is my favourite for the theme, and Smoke could have been an advert shot for a certain coffee brand.
Thank you for your comments :) Lighting is an area I need to try and do better at - partly the reason why I'm trying to implement it in each of the weeks for my 52. The way I see it is if I try and light something different each week for 52 weeks then you'd have a fairly well established set of lighting techniques.

I am a bit behind on my Flickr at the moment I really need to keep up with it more, I will get round to responding soon (y)

As said, great image Simon (y)

Hi, another really good image and thanks for the explanation, very interesting
the only thing that bothers me are the graphics not that keen it makes it a little twee

yeah - very classy - love the beans under the cup, and in the cup, and the smoke, and this time, the text definately adds to the shot!

Completely agree with the sentiment - really do not get into gear until at least my 2nd cup of the day. I can almost smell it from here :D

Hi All,

I would just like to say that I am still here and I am still doing the Fifty Two. Typically I haven't been very well recently, this always seems to happen to me when I have LOADS on. I've pretty much spent the last 5 days in bed with only what I can describe as the death virus, more commonly known as man flu and sickness. Needless to say that has put me two weeks behind on my Fifty Two :eek: damn, this also has put me behind on a weeks worth of work and I've also had to grovel to a client as I haven't been able to do a shoot for them. I plan on shooting both idea's today and hopefully I will get them edited and uploaded tonight, I hope this hasn't put me on the wall of shame :oops: :$

Anyway I would like to say thank you to everyone who has commented on my photo's, sorry I don't have chance to write back to you all individually - there is so many since I last logged on. I will make more of an effort to write back to everyone individually next time.

Having been poorly again for the last week and wrapped up in bed, I have gotten myself two weeks behind on my Fifty Two. I said that I was going to shoot, edit and upload both idea's today and upload tonight - that was ambitious! I've only got the one week done so far and that is for 'Mineral', to be honest I'm not really that happy with it but as I'm short on time then unfortunately beggars can't be choosers and I'll have to make do with this one. Please go easy on me!...

Fifty Two Weeks, 6/52 - Mineral
by SimonRobson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Now, that's kind of cool is that some of that there photoshop trickery or a high power water pistol?

I likey. I am definately inspired by your images. I was thinking of doing something like this for my mineral shot. Now I am going to have to think of something else lol.

I likey. I am definately inspired by your images. I was thinking of doing something like this for my mineral shot. Now I am going to have to think of something else lol.
Thanks Jon :)

I know what you mean, when I first started I used to look at the threads and be like 'oh no they did what I was going to do' now I'm trying to steer clear of the forums and other threads whilst I get my idea together.

Ah that Volvic bottle rears it's head again, it's getting around, I wonder if it's the same one.

Good, clear picture and I wonder if it would have the same impact if the Volvic label wasn't there; I think it would be better.

Yep, very clear, crisp image Simon, like the way its lit, well executed (y)

Ah that Volvic bottle rears it's head again, it's getting around

Ah no don't say that I hope I haven't copied anyone's, I tend not to look at other threads until I get my idea together or at least shot.

I wonder if it would have the same impact if the Volvic label wasn't there; I think it would be better.

Funny you should mention that as I also thought the same, but then I thought maybe it would be TOO simplistic.

Thanks for your input Martin (y)

Hi, another bloody bottle of water:LOL: well lit, good colour and nice movement in the water around the bottom of the bottle (though the top stream looks a little like its being p*ss*d on)
just can't get excited by it.

Stunning shot....... Did you borrow my bottle when I was not looking lol. I think it fits the them lovely, very good composition and I love the water splashes. Great stuff even if you have been a little poorly :).
Thanks Mandy,

Oops yeah sorry noticed that after all the flaming I've had for it, doh. Never realised Volvic was so popular, lesson learnt - must look at threads more before submitting. :)

Hi, another bloody bottle of water:LOL: well lit, good colour and nice movement in the water around the bottom of the bottle (though the top stream looks a little like its being p*ss*d on)
just can't get excited by it.

Lol no problem, each to their own. (y)

I'm guessing this is off the back of the constructive criticism negative feedback I've just given yours... :rolleyes:

Mineral - Well. Even though it is yet another water bottle shot... I think you've managed to make the water look fresh (yeah, I'd drink that). The splashes make it interesting. For me it's a tad dark overall, but that could be personal taste.

Mineral - Well. Even though it is yet another water bottle shot... I think you've managed to make the water look fresh (yeah, I'd drink that). The splashes make it interesting. For me it's a tad dark overall, but that could be personal taste.
I know I know I get the gist, another bottle shot - lesson learnt.

Lighting might not be your personal preference as that's how it's supposed to look, it's a mix between bright/dark field lighting (a technique used for shooting glass etc). The book 'Light, Science and Magic' has some invaluable techniques like this, well worth the read (y)

I know I know I get the gist, another bottle shot - lesson learnt.

Lighting might not be your personal preference as that's how it's supposed to look, it's a mix between bright/dark field lighting (a technique used for shooting glass etc). The book 'Light, Science and Magic' has some invaluable techniques like this, well worth the read (y)
Simon, I never doubted this was exactly how you intended it to look. The book, can you do any of the stuff in it with just a single speedlight or do most things require other (expensive) accessories?

Simon, I never doubted this was exactly how you intended it to look. The book, can you do any of the stuff in it with just a single speedlight or do most things require other (expensive) accessories?
A single Speedlite is what I used for this shot. You can do a lot of things in there with a single Speedlite, you already have the expensive equipment - camera, lens and flash.

PM me your email add and I'll send you a PDF of the book for free (y) Not sure if I'm allowed to say that or not :whistle:...

Lol no problem, each to their own. (y)

I'm guessing this is off the back of the constructive criticism negative feedback I've just given yours... :rolleyes:

sorry that I can see now looks very flippant, your crit of mine was fine by me I didn't find anything negative at all in. :sorry:

Nicely lit as ever. The background particularly suits the subject. The addition of the water squirted against the bottle gives the image a sense of motion. Nice one

Back