weekly Bobby Gold's 52 Weeks 2014: Week 13 - STEP added

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm new around these parts (other than lurking for the past couple of years) and wanted to join in on the Fifty Two weeks, I think it's a good opportunity for me to try new and different things whilst also making sure that I get out with my camera at least once a week. I'm going to try and have fun with it and not take it too seriously, although I do want to challenge myself at the same time. By the look of things there's some talented photographers out there and some good inspiration, but I think it's going to be hard for me to comment on everyone's images there's just so many threads!

Ok, as I said I'm new around here so if I make any mistakes with my uploads etc I apologise in advance. Here is my first effort at the practise theme 'Odd', I originally came up with a different idea for this but was editing this image one night and I asked my better half what she thought of the photo and her response was "that looks odd", my reply was "it's supposed to look like that", to which she said "ohh is it for that 52 thingy!?".... "hmmm, yes, yes it is". So, from that I have decided to use this image for the theme Odd.

Fifty Two Weeks, 0/52 - Odd
by SimonRobson, on Flickr

Next up is my image for "Line/Linear", originally I had quite a few idea's for this and I actually shot a few as well but when I looked back at them they just weren't doing it for me and I thought they would be quite a few around here that would do the same. So I went down a slightly different route and played on the word Line. If I could change anything I would have probably put a few more props in there to tell more of a story, but overall I'm fairly happy - not sure how well it fits!?

Fifty Two Weeks, 1/52 - Line

Hi Bobby Gold ... firstly, the links on the main thread need fixing.

I'm going to try and have fun with it and not take it too seriously, although I do want to challenge myself at the same time. By the look of things there's some talented photographers out there and some good inspiration, but I think it's going to be hard for me to comment on everyone's images there's just so many threads!
Yes, same here. Well said. :clap:

You've posted two outstanding images ... they inspire me.

The upside down glass of wine, I must try that! I think the biggest mystery is the black wine glass!

The LINE pic: beautifully done, pure theatre.

:beer:

Hi Bobby Gold ... firstly, the links on the main thread need fixing.

Yes, same here. Well said. :clap:

You've posted two outstanding images ... they inspire me.

The upside down glass of wine, I must try that! I think the biggest mystery is the black wine glass!

The LINE pic: beautifully done, pure theatre.

:beer:

Thank you for your kind comments, means a lot!

Sorry bit of a n00b question but how do I fix the links? I did notice that they weren't working but I can't seem to fix it - I copied the BB code from the number at the bottom right of the first post in this threadand linked it to the "link to my thread" on the main page?
I know I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what!

Thanks again!

#1 great lighting on the bottle and glass, and nice idea for the upside down glass. How did you do that?

#2 Well, what can I say? A great fun shot. Looks as though you enjoyed taking it!

..... and nice idea for the upside down glass. How did you do that?

I'm guessing .... put a sheet of glass on top of the wine glass, take a shot with the camera pointing up at the reflection. Rotate the pic.

If I am right, I know I'm making it sound easy.

Thanks for letting light in on the magic! I still would like to think OP was upside down when shooting...

Yes I was most definitely upside down :whistle::rolleyes: hehe no really d00d was right, I simply took the shot with a sheet of glass on top then rotated the pic.

Thanks for the comments though, No. 2 was a lot of fun although I doubt my long suffering model partner would agree!

Hello and welcome great start to your 52 challenge with two cracking images the odd shot looks brilliant.

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind comments!

Two cracking shots there.

The Odd image is superbly done, very minimalist.

Lover the humour in Line, and with that it is still a cracking shot

Hi, two excellent interpretations of the themes :clap:
welcome to the 52's look forward to seeing more

An excellent start love the lighting on the black glass - never seen anything like it before.

Line is a fabulous idea - yay for obliging models :D

BLIMEY !!!!

What a great start Simon

Odd - two very nice images, liking the black and white contrasting images, each with their own twist, real nice lighting on the wine bottle and some clever imagery on the upside down glass

Line - Hahaaaaa that's excellent, again like the lighting, a great look from your model and a good caption :clap:

Looking forward to seeing your next entries

Two crackers.

Odd, the lighting is wonderful. Well composed and executed. Crit, well although the light is wonderful, there may be a few blown highlights.

Line, cracking model and again well executed and good lighting. Love the models face :) Crit, personally, I'm not keen on the word Line being added. I feel it could stand with just a line of 'coke'.

Good show :clap:

Last edited:
Oh my - I do hope you haven't peaked in the first two weeks......

If this is the standard of weeks to come I'm looking forward to this one.. (y)

I can normally find something to pick on, but nothing at all in odd, and only the "slightly" off of the black table, either straight, or at a more pronounced angle for me.

But a cracking beginning there Simon!

Two good shots!
Two cracking shots there.

The Odd image is superbly done, very minimalist.

Lover the humour in Line, and with that it is still a cracking shot
Hi, two excellent interpretations of the themes :clap:
welcome to the 52's look forward to seeing more
I love the first odd one with the bottle. The 'line' one - loving the raised pinky. Great model you have there.

Thank you all so much for your comments, I didn't think I'd get such a good response - quite overwhelming, thanks!

BLIMEY !!!!

What a great start Simon

Odd - two very nice images, liking the black and white contrasting images, each with their own twist, real nice lighting on the wine bottle and some clever imagery on the upside down glass

Line - Hahaaaaa that's excellent, again like the lighting, a great look from your model and a good caption :clap:

Looking forward to seeing your next entries

Again, I wasn't expecting such a good response so thank you for such positive words! I am also looking forward to seeing your images throughout the year, can't wait for the next theme to be announced later!

Two crackers.

Odd, the lighting is wonderful. Well composed and executed. Crit, well although the light is wonderful, there may be a few blown highlights.

Line, cracking model and again well executed and good lighting. Love the models face :) Crit, personally, I'm not keen on the word Line being added. I feel it could stand with just a line of 'coke'.

Good show :clap:

Well pointed out, I had noticed it in PP but not a lot to rescue as the highlights are fairly blown. I definitely want to re-shoot this at some point so will sort that out in camera.

Again another good point, thanks for you input! :plus1:

Oh my - I do hope you haven't peaked in the first two weeks......

If this is the standard of weeks to come I'm looking forward to this one.. (y)

I can normally find something to pick on, but nothing at all in odd, and only the "slightly" off of the black table, either straight, or at a more pronounced angle for me.

But a cracking beginning there Simon!

I hope that isn't the case too, thanks for the kind words.

But yes a very good point, I hadn't actually seen that so thanks for noticing it!

Again I would like to thank everyone for such a warm welcome and kind words, the responses have exceeded my expectations by far.

Looking forward to the next theme!

Thank you, it's always a yay for an obliging model :banana:I keep going back to your line photo for a look, it really is exceptional!

That's very kind of you - but it really is a once in a blue moon photo for me - I'm crap really :LOL:

What a real high quality start with a great couple of images. The lighting on Odd is superb especially on the left hand side. Great idea and execution of Line.

Last edited:
Oh my....brilliant start to your 52 Simon

can't crit as both Odd & Line are perfect to me in every way....the ODD shot would look great framed hanging in a wine bar :clap:

Look forward to following your work (y)

Ok so I've been fairly quiet this week, there is reasoning for this... First off I have spent most of the week in bed with sickness so was short on time, next I shot a couple of different ideas that I had and they just didn't work out at all, epic fail!!! I guess that's the beauty of this project in the way that it challenges you and makes you think.

So this was a fairly tricky shot to get right, to light the model, cards and have some back lighting to highlight the smoke took quite a few attempts.

Fifty Two Weeks, 2/52 - Play

Back