weekly Bobby Gold's 52 Weeks 2014: Week 13 - STEP added

Sense: This is brilliant. You're obviously a pro and it shows. This is (as are all your others) in a class of its own. Defintily inspiring and motivational examples of what it means to take it to the next level..

I like how you can make out the water running down the front of the bottle, but for me the best part is how it appers to be standing in a shallow pool of water and the hectic splashes coming off of this on the right.

Just brilliant! (y)

Last edited:
Nicely lit as ever. The background particularly suits the subject. The addition of the water squirted against the bottle gives the image a sense of motion. Nice one
Thanks Peter :)

Good idea. Like the lighting and the crispness if it - just like a product shot.
Thank you!

That's a very well lit image again, super detail in the water, a great product shot Simon (y)
Cheers DK :)

Sense: This is brilliant. You're obviously a pro and it shows. This is (as are all your others) in a class of its own. Defintily inspiring and motivational examples of what it means to take it to the next level..

I like how you can make out the water running down the front of the bottle, but for me the best part is how it appers to be standing in a shallow pool of water and the hectic splashes coming off of this on the right.

Just brilliant! (y)
Wow Jason thanks for the onslaught of compliments - means a lot (y)

So I have been so busy again this week, again, catching up on bits of work and other things which had left me without much any time for my Fifty Two - unfortunately life comes first.

I took a photo earlier during the week that could fit the theme... maybe... ish... and I'm going to go with it purely because I don't have the time, motivation or care this week. It's nothing special, just something that I had been messing around with - I expect a bit of crit on this one :eek:

Okay, so here is my submission for 'Sense of Smell'... :coat:

Deep Red
by SimonRobson, on Flickr

Last edited:
It looks like something straight out of an ad campaign. As far as the photography goes the bottle is well lit and there is a good reflection, my OCD would however liked to have seen the spray nozzle pointing straight down the camera.

It looks like something straight out of an ad campaign. As far as the photography goes the bottle is well lit and there is a good reflection, my OCD would however liked to have seen the spray nozzle pointing straight down the camera.
Yes I know me too, there was reasoning behind my madness though. I wanted spray coming out to the left - I shot it like that too (hense being turned to the side) but tbh it didn't look good, to the point of cheesy. I may make a nozzle in PS at some point, maybe not, I dunno.

Thanks for commenting and taking the time to look(y)

I love it! How did you light the bottle? My only crit would be the flare seems abit out of place as there is no strong light coming from there.

I think I like it, also think that I like the actual adverts for perfumes and I think yours is too similar. To make it your own I would have liked to see the picture without any of the writing on the left.

Hi Simon , hope you're all recovered now :hug:

Mineral...yes it's a bottle of water but done extremely well , sharp , well lit &good work freezing the motion of the water as it hits the bottle & splatters on the floor :clap:

Sense.....god you're just too darn good at this product photography lark , love the colors , the layout , the text , even the light flare ...super stuff :clap::clap:It's images like this that make me want to master flash...only just starting to explore ocf , totally bemoused by it at the moment :thinking:

Hi Simon

Mineral - done well, sharp, well lit and well handled water in motion and still
Sense - well on theme. very good colours and lighting and i do like the position of the bottle/nozzle and i am sure that with your skill level you could introduce a spray.
However really not keen on all the words - I am not sure that they do anything for the image (unless of course that is what a client wants)

Yet again an absolutely super shot Simon. Both lighting and composition are spot on. There's also just the right amount of reflection without it overpowering the image

I'm curious. How did you find a background to match the bottle or did you sample the bottle and add the colouring in PP?

No crit from me - a most excellent Product shot - I would be very pleased with this if it were mine :)

Blimey Simon... nothing wrong with that, would be happy to produce such a good product shot, My only crit is the amount of text, don't think it need the 'deep red' right next to the bottle, where it is repeated... but really like the use of the red tone throughout the image - Nice One (y)

You've got this product genre nailed.

Good moody lighting, well composed, subtle colours.

I wouldn't have noticed the double deep red if Dean hadn't pointed it out...does that mean it doesn't mater to me?? Who knows, but I'd like to see it without for compairson.

Cheers.

Hi Simon, sorry I’ve not visited your thread before now. Did you know your link for mineral takes you to the first page of your thread rather than the page with the photo in it?

Mind you I did have a scan through your photos and they’re amazing! Loving the picture of your children for close, very beautiful kiddies.

Smoke, coffee, mmm that would fit the sense theme for me! And could be a catalogue shot.

Mineral, again could be a product shot, great lighting and blue tone. How did you do the lighting?

If you produce that standard when your ill I’ll be following your 52 with interest and hope to learn a few tips from you! I hope you are feeling better now?

Sense, oh another product shot! I’ve tried, I can’t find anything wrong photographically! Agreed about the deep red text, but such a minor thing. I could see this on a big bill board!

I love it! How did you light the bottle? My only crit would be the flare seems abit out of place as there is no strong light coming from there.
Thanks. I lit it with just one Bowens Gemini 400 with shoot through umbrella to the left of the bottle with a reflector to bounce a bit of light back to create an edge for the dark side of the bottle - admittedly it loses it a bit at the top.

Lens flare yeah I know what you mean, although my thought pattern was that there is too much going on in the left side for it to work.

Thanks for looking and commenting :)

Hi Simon , hope you're all recovered now :hug:

Mineral...yes it's a bottle of water but done extremely well , sharp , well lit &good work freezing the motion of the water as it hits the bottle & splatters on the floor :clap:

Sense.....god you're just too darn good at this product photography lark , love the colors , the layout , the text , even the light flare ...super stuff :clap::clap:It's images like this that make me want to master flash...only just starting to explore ocf , totally bemoused by it at the moment :thinking:

Yes feeling heaps better now thank you! Well the 52 has certainly opened me up to product photography - I used to turn my nose up at it before this but now it's like one of my favourite genres. At least they do as their told whereas models like to answer back :cautious: lol.

As for the OCF send me a PM with your email add and I'll send you something over ;)(y)

Hi Simon

Mineral - done well, sharp, well lit and well handled water in motion and still
Sense - well on theme. very good colours and lighting and i do like the position of the bottle/nozzle and i am sure that with your skill level you could introduce a spray.
However really not keen on all the words - I am not sure that they do anything for the image (unless of course that is what a client wants)
Thanks for your input - I always knew text isn't everyone's cup of tea but I am one of those odd people that like it (I even like HDR too :eek:)

Yet again an absolutely super shot Simon. Both lighting and composition are spot on. There's also just the right amount of reflection without it overpowering the image

I'm curious. How did you find a background to match the bottle or did you sample the bottle and add the colouring in PP?
Cheers Peter.

The background was actually an old curtain that was hung up when we moved in, needless to say we promptly removed it! Now it's stashed away with my other backgrounds, it's the same one as what I used for the table in "Play".

I replaced the colour on the flare though (y)

Blimey Simon... nothing wrong with that, would be happy to produce such a good product shot, My only crit is the amount of text, don't think it need the 'deep red' right next to the bottle, where it is repeated... but really like the use of the red tone throughout the image - Nice One (y)
Thank you and well pointed out DK, I completely agree. That's really bugging me now! lol.

Thanks for your input (y)

You've got this product genre nailed.

Good moody lighting, well composed, subtle colours.

I wouldn't have noticed the double deep red if Dean hadn't pointed it out...does that mean it doesn't mater to me?? Who knows, but I'd like to see it without for compairson.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy,

I didn't really notice it either until he pointed it out, now its annoying me. lol

May have to upload a re-edit as you mentioned...

Hi Simon, sorry I’ve not visited your thread before now. Did you know your link for mineral takes you to the first page of your thread rather than the page with the photo in it?

Mind you I did have a scan through your photos and they’re amazing! Loving the picture of your children for close, very beautiful kiddies.

Smoke, coffee, mmm that would fit the sense theme for me! And could be a catalogue shot.

Mineral, again could be a product shot, great lighting and blue tone. How did you do the lighting?

If you produce that standard when your ill I’ll be following your 52 with interest and hope to learn a few tips from you! I hope you are feeling better now?

Sense, oh another product shot! I’ve tried, I can’t find anything wrong photographically! Agreed about the deep red text, but such a minor thing. I could see this on a big bill board!

Thanks for all the feedback.

1. No I didn't realise that actually, thanks for pointing that out I will have to look into it.

2. Lighting was just one Speedlite with a grid to create a tight light, aimed at the BG.

3. Yeah I'm feeling loads better now, thanks for asking :)

Again, thank you for all your comments and for taking the time to look. (y)

Yes that's right you didn't misread, I am handing in a Joker for week 8. Lacking inspiration is an under statement, I can't help but think that it would have been perfect for week 52 - who comes up with these themes o_O

So it's still an image taken from this week so I'm not cheating myself on that account, it's from a location shoot that I did for a London urban/streetwear clothing company called HmblexHustle. Go check them out and show some love at www.hmblexhustle.com

It came around completely by accident, just by me commenting one one of their photos on Instagram (I loved their range of clothes) and they contacted me asking if I was able to do a shoot for them, I couldn't say yes fast enough! Anyway, they sent me over some items with a fairly open brief... they wanted some woodland types of images and also some derelict/abandoned type of stuff and three strong images for use on their upcoming marketing campaign and social media advertisments. After a bit of thinking I came up with the perfect solution that kills two birds with one stone... Some abandoned ruins of a Country Manor House located in the middle of the woods... only a 10 minute drive from my house...? SOLD!!!

No crit required as it's off theme and its also a done and paid job for a client, although feel free to crit away...! (y)

HmblexHustle
by SimonRobson, on Flickr

HI Simon

I'm so glad I read in another post that you'd played a joker for this week....I saw this image & spent 10 mins scratching my head wondering what theme I'd missed :D Still not good with portrait type shots but this looks good to me...and the company you shot it for must think so to ....lovely lighting (y) If I was being really picky I'd mention the shadowy thing on the wall to the right of the model....looks a little odd :thinking:

Pm sent as mentioned above...most intrigued......:)

No comments on the shoes from me........... mi missus is starting to get concerned :oops: :$ :D

Great image Simon (y)

Back