weekly Bobby Gold's 52 Weeks 2014: Week 13 - STEP added

Hi Simon

another corker from you.....no crit as love it...the color in the cherries , the minute bubbles ,the lighting....could be an advertisement for a drinks company :clap::clap:
Thanks Lynne, what compliments!

With all the comments on the colour I'm glad that I corrected it now, I found a photo of some cherries which had been shot on film and tried to match the tones from that.

That's easy to do all you need is dedication.
I am completely dedicated, I just have a lot of other life dedications that usually take priority. Two jobs, two kids and a Mrs to please, work photography and personal photography and a fifty two on top. Then we got BSB starting again soon so will be working away for 4 days at a time with that... FML :eek: lol.

A beautiful shot Simon! The lighting and the colours are great. Doesn't feel at all last minute. How did you get the bubbles round the cherries?

Thank you :)

The bubbles were the easy part, I used clear lemonade for mine although I've heard of people using tonic or sparkling water. I then simply submerged the cherries into the liquid, the longer they are under and are kept still, the better the bubbles. At first I kept knocking the glass to try and get more bubbles but this actually clears the bubbles off the subject and you start again. Hardest part is keeping the damn things from floating, that's a whole different story :eek:

Lovely shot of the kids too - None of the shots I have of my two from that age (only about 6 years ago) are 10% as good as that!

super bubbles, loads of 'em clinging onto those cherries... I think I might have left the negative space - composition is perfect even without it.

Great stand out image.
Thank you Graham

I've played with the idea of negative space I still even have the original PSD so could maybe upload it at some point, although I am a fan of text so any excuse to fit it in :D

I am completely dedicated, I just have a lot of other life dedications that usually take priority. Two jobs, two kids and a Mrs to please, work photography and personal photography and a fifty two on top. Then we got BSB starting again soon so will be working away for 4 days at a time with that... FML :eek: lol.

Yes I know what you mean tho i am lucky in that I only have my business to get into ship shape before I start making money. I don't have a MR in my life so that's one thing I need not worry about. But I do have other things to attend to family wise and before I know where I am I shall be at round 1 brands hatch for BSB. So I guess for me in the evenings as I don't have a MR in my life I have nothing to do other than photography.

Yet again another late entry from me, but hey, at least I'm consistent!! :p

It's certainly no secret that I love coffee, I adore the stuff, I can't start my day without it, which led me to create this image. I said last week that I wasn't going to spend any money this week... I lied! I also said that I wasn't going to be so hard on myself and take it easier... I lied again! Doh.

If I'm being honest I didn't like this weeks theme, I struggled too come up with a half-decent idea and really lacked inspiration. Just like last week I didn't come up with this idea until Thursday evening and then shot on Friday night so the image is a bit last minute again.Thank god we got this week over with!

Fifty Two Weeks, 5/52 - Smoke
by SimonRobson, on Flickr

I'm liking that a lot

Interested to know whether the smoke is "fake" - I mean from another source or whether you roasted your coffee beans a bit much and they were actually smoking? ;)

Regardless I really like the image and it's a real clear and well put together ....and I'm a coffee addict/geek too :)

I have you desaturated the beans from the right side or used different lighting left and right side? To they left there seems to be an orangey glow and the right more of a white light.

Last edited:
Beautiful shot with a very advertising feel to it. I love the lighting, the focus on the beans in the cup and the colours of the beans the cup is sitting on. The steam looks a bit artificial - is that part of the look you were aiming for?

I'm liking that a lot

Interested to know whether the smoke is "fake" - I mean from another source or whether you roasted your coffee beans a bit much and they were actually smoking? ;)

Regardless I really like the image and it's a real clear and well put together ....and I'm a coffee addict/geek too :)

I have you desaturated the beans from the right side or used different lighting left and right side? To they left there seems to be an orangey glow and the right more of a white light.
Thank you. Smoke is real, the image is made up from 5 images (you wouldn't believe how little a bag of coffee beans doesn't go - it nowhere near filled the frame) so it's three shots of the beans on the bottom, one of the beans in the cup, and one of an incense stick inside the cup then masked together in photoshop. The lighting is different either side, on the left I have a canon 430exII at 140degrees with red gel to give a warm look to the beans, then a canon 580exII camera right at about 45degrees up high with a bowens shoot through umbrella and then a reflector on the left to bounce light back. Sorry for the geeky reply :p

Great shot....again, and I was quite pleased with my smoke photo but yours shows a lot of us that we have a lot to learn

& yet again a stunning product type shot .....your explanation as to the "how " is great as well....but blow me down , that's a helluva lot of work for one shot...worth it though :clap::clap:

I do have one very minor niggle though ( bit cheeky as you are obviously very very very good at this photography malarky )....the left hand coffee beans have a slight red glow , the righthand side doesn't.....this may have been the intention ? Just makes the image a smidge un balanced for me....though I do have OCD about things like this ...sorry :coat:

& yet again a stunning product type shot .....your explanation as to the "how " is great as well....but blow me down , that's a helluva lot of work for one shot...worth it though :clap::clap:

I do have one very minor niggle though ( bit cheeky as you are obviously very very very good at this photography malarky )....the left hand coffee beans have a slight red glow , the righthand side doesn't.....this may have been the intention ? Just makes the image a smidge un balanced for me....though I do have OCD about things like this ...sorry :coat:

Thank you! It was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of fun :)

Not cheeky at all, I like to have some crit (y)

It was intentional, just like yourself I am a bit OCD - I shot it with red gel on left, then another with just the right, then with both sides, THEN I did the same again but without the gels. I also shot it in various apertures, which was actually more of pain then it was worth as it meant adjusting the output on the speedlites each time too. ANYWAY back to the point, I shot it all like that and I edited it with both sides red and for me it was just too much and looked like a cheap effect you'd see on an iPhone app. I really liked the warmth the gel gave it so decided to just leave it one sided and since the left had more space I thought it would fit better that side.

I can see what your saying though, but there's NO WAY I am re-editing or re-shooting I'm glad this weeks theme is out the way :eek: lol

Last edited:
Hi Simon, Sorry I'm a little late to post in your thread (though I did comment on Flickr). I can't really offer much in the way of critique which is why I've not got around to commenting until now. You're off to a great start; creative interpretations (Play could just as easily have been the submission for Smoke) and it's obvious that lighting is one of your strengths. Your Bubble is my favourite for the theme, and Smoke could have been an advert shot for a certain coffee brand.

Smoke...oooffff, that's a bit special. It's got it all :clap:

I like the red glow and would like to see all the beans with the glow, for comparison.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy.

I will try and get round to re-editing with both sides red, at some point. As it stands I am done with this weeks for the moment, now to get Mineral out the way... Hmmph :confused:

BTW: How does the wild card/jokers work? Not that I'm thinking of using it of course... :whistle:

Back