weekly Boots' 52 for 2024

That's really effective, I like the "non-compliant" fronds that are not in line

Looks good against the dark background. Some of the fronds give it a dreamy look, add a few colours and it would be psychedelic :)

I did wonder what it was a picture of at first, it made sense when I saw your explanation. This really fits the theme nicely and it works well against a black background.

Excellent. Works well for the theme and shows the structure of the down really well.

Week 4 - Water

Water.JPG

A simple idea, which proved rather tricky to execute. Most of the toys out of the toy cupboard for this.

Last edited:
Great picture! No idea how you have achieved that but it looks amazing!

Great picture! No idea how you have achieved that but it looks amazing!

Thanks Sophie!

It's nothing special - just water from the tap into a glass balanced on top of another glass in front of a black cloth. The challenge was to get everything in position and still operate the camera, and get the flash working off camera.

Then some pretty standard processing, plus of course rotating the image - I had visualised it this way round, I thought it would be more interesting.

That messes with my eyes - I like it :)

This is well taken but turning it sideways was a masterstroke.

Great idea and well executed. I keep thinking of all the gear around the sink

Soft: A lovely image that captures the softness and movement
Water: I had to think about that for a moment. Nice idea and very well lit and shot.

Great shot, threw me off for a second due to the orientation, but I like shots like that as it challenges you. You've captured the water very well, bubbles in the glass speak to the turbulence and action, the waters meniscus just coming over the top adds a lovely bit of emotion where you think you're about to overflow and make a mess and of course the reflection of the glass pretty much tops it all off. Except of course the use of mono which enhances the clarity of the water and glass.
A great shot!

Great shot, threw me off for a second due to the orientation, but I like shots like that as it challenges you. You've captured the water very well, bubbles in the glass speak to the turbulence and action, the waters meniscus just coming over the top adds a lovely bit of emotion where you think you're about to overflow and make a mess and of course the reflection of the glass pretty much tops it all off. Except of course the use of mono which enhances the clarity of the water and glass.
A great shot!

Thanks Paul!

Week 5, processing suits the scene with the dark clouds and bare trees

Yep. Mono works well. Nice sky. The trees frame the image well.

Back