Brian of Bozeats '26 from '52 - 2015 week 52: Christmas

Hi Brian opinions are varying on seen it connect or not, it's obvious to me that they are connected. Well composed, Nice depth of field, although I would've liked to see the front of the trunk in focus. nice lighting, yes the left and side is a little light, but I'm okay with that.

Cheers.

:agree: Totally agree... A type of shot that I love :D You did well, Brian :clap:

Thank you.

Hi Brian, as you say you don't always have to show everything, I like the lack of DoF :clap:

Thank you.

Elephant? now there is a shoe horn if ever there was one :p

Nice use of DoF Jeff Brian (y)

Thanksssss

Hi Brian, love this submission for Connected. Great leading line and even with the shallow dof you can see they are connected.

My only crit is it could be sharper at the front but that may be because it's a relatively low res pic?

And ignore hissy, he thinks he's got a monopoly on animal pics ;)

Thanks Jill, the DOF is so shallow at that distance and aperture that It was hard enough to get the eye in focus.

Hi Brian,

Good fit to the theme. You have the perfect prop. I too would like to see a bit more DoF. I understand your comment about not needing to see the whole thing but in the instance a little more is required to make the connection I think.

Thank you.

Hey Brian. Love the DoF; brilliant subject too - like the way it sweeps away to the right losing definition as it goes. :clap:

Thanks.

Well done, you probably don't need another DoF comment...

Thank you, How right you are. (y)

Hi Brian opinions are varying on seen it connect or not, it's obvious to me that they are connected. Well composed, Nice depth of field, although I would've liked to see the front of the trunk in focus. nice lighting, yes the left and side is a little light, but I'm okay with that.

Cheers.

Nice critique. As you probably guessed, I got pretty much what I was shooting for. It's a fair point about the front of the trunk that Jill picked up on as well. I will consider that next time I'm going for a similar shot. Thanks (y)

Week 49: Down.

This is an abstract shot of a building called Bedford Mansions in Northampton. I like this building a lot (I love a bit of Art Deco architecture) and as I drove past here today on my way to get the shot I had planned this staircase/stairwell/window arrangement caught my eye. Being an engineer I try NOT to do orthographic images if i can help it, (because it is so obvious to me that it often looks dull - to me) but this one was just begging for it..

Bedford Mansions-1001.jpg

Being a 1930s building, I just HAD to go mono.

B.

:cow:

I like Art Deco too and it suits the mono conversion, nice idea for the theme, well captured

That was just begging to be catured, wasn't it...
I have to agree with Sirch, that's a nice piece of 30s/40s art deco architecture and those stairs really do add to the building by giving it something interesting/different.
:clap:

Begging for it indeed Brian, very nice
as is the mono (y)

Art deco is fabulous and definitely an appropriate subject for b&w. I like the different shapes and curves and diagonals. Nicely taken. :clap:

Yep got to love that building too!!!

Sorry... but my OCD part of my brain sees the stairs as going up, my eyes scan/read from left to right, so in my muddled head the image needs flipping, don't get me wrong, it's a great image, really like the composition and the PP is perfect for it too, and to top it the alignment of the bricks is bang on, photo wise couldn't be better (y)

Yep got to love that building too!!!

Sorry... but my OCD part of my brain sees the stairs as going up, my eyes scan/read from left to right, so in my muddled head the image needs flipping, don't get me wrong, it's a great image, really like the composition and the PP is perfect for it too, and to top it the alignment of the bricks is bang on, photo wise couldn't be better (y)

Many thanks. Up or down, to be fair it's up to you how you see it. Thanks for commenting. : thumbs:

That was just begging to be catured, wasn't it...
I have to agree with Sirch, that's a nice piece of 30s/40s art deco architecture and those stairs really do add to the building by giving it something interesting/different.
Thank you. :)

Out of interest... what was the shot you were on your way to take when you spotted this ??

The glass lifts in the shopping centre, I thought I'd either get a slow shutter blur of the lift coming down or pan it to blur the background. Other plans included a zoom blur looking down at the lifts from the first floor balcony. I tried various things and although the ideas were not too bad I wasn't really very happy with the results, they seemed very ordinary.

I'm glad I stopped off at Bedford Mansions, it's in a part of town that is some kind of building conservation area, I really should look into the whole thing a bit more and perhaps go and have a thorough look round.

Hi Brian, just superb one of my favourite pics of the year, you should do more of this I have no idea why you try not to :clap:

Shame... I like the sound of the glass lift that's for sure !!!

Like I said, it's not a bad idea, perhaps with more thought I could get something I liked, one for another day maybe.

Hi Brian, just superb one of my favourite pics of the year, you should do more of this I have no idea why you try not to :clap:

Aww thanks. I'm blushing now! - @posiview Andy will be along any minute to tell me I need to stop being an engineer when I have my camera in my hands.

Hi, Brian...

Good choice of edit, I think it fits the building perfectly. Although I would love to see the glass lift photo too :D

Thanks Nora, As I said to Dean above, perhaps I will re-shoot the lifts another day.

Hi Brian ...two excellent submissions ...really like Connected ...your elephants are the perfect prop.

Fabulous one for Down ...what a great building and perfect composition ...I like that one a lot :clap:

Thanks Susie. (y)

Brian ... what an extraordinary window with stairs on view like that. I really like it. Up and down, whatever.

Great - I love the composition - the different shapes of the windows and the brickwork. Works great with the crop you have chosen and the texture in the brickwork is superbly detailed. Mono is most definitely the only option !! Must watch Poirot !

Brian ... what an extraordinary window with stairs on view like that. I really like it. Up and down, whatever.

Thanks David.

Great - I love the composition - the different shapes of the windows and the brickwork. Works great with the crop you have chosen and the texture in the brickwork is superbly detailed. Mono is most definitely the only option !! Must watch Poirot !

Thanks Richard.

Hi, Down, like the set of Poirot

Like art deco and I like this. The angle and perspective work really well.

Cheers.

Chests Andy. :cow:

Week 50: Organised

The idea for this comes from the saying "Get all your ducks in a row, then knock them down one by one."

I only have 1 duck, so this is seven separate shots merged (I started with 13 but it looked better with 7).

.Ducks-1001.jpg

Quack! Quack! Moo!

:cow:

Last edited:
Blimey you are organised Brian (y)
I still don't have a clue

Very quick ... thought I'd be first up. Nicely "stitched" Brian and a lovely fun image too. :clap:

Hi Brian ....that was quick ....what a great idea for the theme. Love the row of little ducks and I can't see one single join ....well done :)

Thanks Susie, it wasn't that hard but I had to set it up right. Flat lighting, move the duck along a guide line by a measured distance, then a feathered mask though each layer to reveal the duck and its reflections.

Very quick ... thought I'd be first up. Nicely "stitched" Brian and a lovely fun image too. :clap:
Thanks Carl, See my reply to Susie above (I can't multi quote on the iPad for some reason) for why you can't see the joins, it took two goes to get it right though, the first one was too sloppy to share! ;)

Thanks Dean, the possibilities are endless, while I was there I kept thinking "imagine the backgrounds you could make by shooting a flash through some of this glass?"
Now there's a thought, but wouldn't you get arrested?

Sorry about above post had not engaged brain when looking back through the thread :rolleyes:
Starting catch up at Seasonal cos I love this shot and so well set up too! Not mush room to say anything else. No crit from me Top Draw!
Full ..... Bit of a 'memory' shot from the Wedding, symmetry aside (why is it you never notice these fine details till it's in LR) nice clean shot there are comments about being set up but most weddings are to a degree! It fits the theme sorted!
Love the kite shot, what I really like is your journey to get the shot right, the back story makes the shot as much as the image itself. The end result is very nice, nice drop of soldering too!
Covered.... OMG I love this that is real top draw IMHO great lighting, excellent eye contact, beautiful model obviously not phased by the camera. Very nice indeed great catch lights too(y) Colours are working together well Jeff, Brian ..... To whom it may concern!
Connected.... Agree that the DOF should extend to pick up a couple of the Elephants to enhance the connected effect. Other than that good shot.
Down.... Another cracker B&W is so right here! Great composition, nice and sharp and great texture and detail, nice one(y)

Last edited:
never have thought you could organise one duck ... excellent. :clap:

gives me ideas too.

Do I have to be first with the pun? Ok, okay...
That was quack off the mark
:coat:

Very impressive photomerge there Brian, I doubt anyone would have noticed it was one duck until you mentioned it (maybe the reflections are all too unifirm, but...)
Good one, nice framing, excellent PP work.

Back