Brian of Bozeats '26 from '52 - 2015 week 52: Christmas

Week 44: Seasonal

I saw these shaggy ink caps at the airfield this afternoon on my way to do some Balloon related "work". I just got finished in time to catch the sunset and get all Strobist on them! :naughty:

Shaggy Ink Caps at Sunset by Brian Mead, on Flickr

Cheers!

Last edited:
That filled the frame nicely, not Mushroom left at all :D

Nicely spotted and captured Brian (y)

Hi Brian, like that a lot nice use of flash, can't fault that at all :clap:

I' m with Stan. I think it's a fab picture with great use of flash but I find the sky distracting. I think a square crop would work well here.

Hi Brian :)

Seasonal - Nicely spotted Brian, the shot certainly wouldn't be the same without that lovely colourful sky ion the background, nice DoF and just enough light on the second shroom to add a nice depth to the image, like it (y)

Hello and welcome to TP. Thank you for popping in! :p
Says the guy that started at week 27 this year :D

Seasonal; love it great capture but I'm kind of two minds about the inclusion of the sky though. :thinking: Yes it shows its Autumn evening but its inclusion is also a bit of distraction too. Like to hear others comments.

I' m with Stan. I think it's a fab picture with great use of flash but I find the sky distracting. I think a square crop would work well here.

Thanks, I have others with and without the red sky but this was my choice for the theme, I consider the sunset to be relevant to the time of year when we change the clocks.

That filled the frame nicely, not Mushroom left at all :D

Nicely spotted and captured Brian (y)

Well taken Brian. I like the PoV with that lovely sunset in the bg.

Hi Brian, like that a lot nice use of flash, can't fault that at all :clap:

Not sure what to say here except :clap:
Top shot imo.

Hi Brian :)

Seasonal - Nicely spotted Brian, the shot certainly wouldn't be the same without that lovely colourful sky ion the background, nice DoF and just enough light on the second shroom to add a nice depth to the image, like it (y)

Thanks. I'm really pleased with the shot as I got just what I was after. Plus a few more similar!

Thanks for all the compliments regarding the OCF - Here's the pull back shot:

Note the box of spares from the boot of my car to get the flash at the right height (stand was too tall). A sleeping bag, the grass was wet! and the reflector supported by a light stand. :)

mushroom-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Brian ....phew that's some set up ...I think I need to pack a suitcase next time I go mushroom spotting :)

But, it paid off at that's a brilliant shot, with/without the sky ? I scanned my screen up and it does look impressive without the sky but I see your point about it being seasonal.

One of my favourite subjects ...I shall look and learn :)

Hi Brian

Thanks for the pullback shot ... nice setup.

Nice shot, comp & POV ... but without the red BG I think. o_O

Hi Brian ....phew that's some set up ...I think I need to pack a suitcase next time I go mushroom spotting :)

But, it paid off at that's a brilliant shot, with/without the sky ? I scanned my screen up and it does look impressive without the sky but I see your point about it being seasonal.

One of my favourite subjects ...I shall look and learn :)

The main ingredients of this setup, a flash and a reflector are really quite easy to carry, then improvise on placements once you find a subject.

I've heard people carry bin bags to lie down on if it is wet!

Last edited:
Week 45: Full

One off the "B Roll" from the wedding I shot on Saturday, not really for Critique, more for my memory of this week.

DSC_3222.jpg

Moving on...

:cow:

Moving on...
Yep moving on, no comment about the off centre crop on the chair RHS
Nor the "favour"s being uneven :D

Nice colourful image Jeff Brian Jeff, it fits the theme (y)

Hi Brian (or Jeff),

Shimmer: Nice shot for a particularly tricky theme. I like the composition and the is some nice shimmer on the water.
Elements: Very clever shot. Well thought out and set up (y)
Seasonal: Beautiful photo. Very nice lighting and fabulous detail :clap:
Full: Nicely lit. I like the colour of the background curtains complimenting the items on the table.

Fab mushroom shot Brian, the sky really adds to the seasonal feel and I loved seeing how you'd set it all up.

Hi You...

Not so sure of the chairs in the background, maybe a narrower DoF by standing further away slightly and zooming in more would have made them less prominent, Liking the colour of the glass and table decorations though and the light on the background curtain :)

WEEK 46:

I have decided that I don't want to do "Habit" - Instead I took a picture of the stained glass panel that I made at the weekend on a one day course the Kathie bought for me as a Birthday present.

I thought I had this nailed until I saw the finished image just now after resting my eyes before taking one last look prior to upload... Hmmm, somehow I think I have overdone it and lost the texture of the thing, I will try to re-shoot this another time to try and capture the look of the lead. Anyway here's the shot as I have run out of time. Like it or lump it! :D

Stained Glass-1001.jpg

and here's the pull back.

Stained Glass-1003.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Brian thats excellent, i'm impressed that you made it yourself, i see a lot of stained glass its definitely an art form and thats a excellent example you have chosen the colours well, love the different shades of blue

you might have lost the texture of the lead but hard if you are lighting from underneath the glass is looking superb though :clap::clap:

Plenty of texture in the glass and thanks for posting the pull back its always interesting to see how people achieve such good results

That's a brilliant piece Brian = love the composition and vibrancy of the colours used in the glass. Nice to see your set-up for the image.

Hi Brian thats excellent, i'm impressed that you made it yourself, i see a lot of stained glass its definitely an art form and thats a excellent example you have chosen the colours well, love the different shades of blue

you might have lost the texture of the lead but hard if you are lighting from underneath the glass is looking superb though :clap::clap:

Thanks Allan, very kind.

I am disappointed with the shot though, when I do the reshoot I will add another light from above (off to one side) with a hard light source to pick up the contours of the lead (as it is black now then all I need to do is add light)

If I had got it "right" I would have learned nothing, so this is good for me!

Plenty of texture in the glass and thanks for posting the pull back its always interesting to see how people achieve such good results

Thanks Chris, I am doing the pull back shot more and more these days. I keep it with the finished shot in my catalogue and it helps me remember the shoot. Plus It only takes a fraction of a second!

That's a brilliant piece Brian = love the composition and vibrancy of the colours used in the glass. Nice to see your set-up for the image.

Cheers Carl. (y)

Last edited:
Lovely bright colours and interesting textures, and thanks for the "pull back", always interesting. Is it a kite?

Yes unfortunately the lead is silhouetted.

Instead I took a picture of the stained glass panel that I made at the weekend on a one day course
Very impressive Brian.
Tis a shame about the textures as you mentioned, but its still a (y) from me nonetheless.

Lovely bright colours and interesting textures, and thanks for the "pull back", always interesting. Is it a kite?

Yes unfortunately the lead is silhouetted.

Thanks, Yes it is supposed to look like a kite in the sky.

Thinking more about the pull back, most seem to comment so I guess it's helpful. I've even posted the occasional pull back picture on facebook because I have found out that quite a few non-photographic people think I have a studio or that I "just use photoshop" so it shows how anyone can do the shot with a few bits of cheap kit and a lot of imagination/ ingenuity.

Very impressive Brian.
Tis a shame about the textures as you mentioned, but its still a (y) from me nonetheless.

Thank you.

Thanks Allan, very kind.

I am disappointed with the shot though, when I do the reshoot I will add another light from above (off to one side) with a hard light source to pick up the contours of the lead (as it is black now then all I need to do is add light)

If I had got it "right" I would have learned nothing, so this is good for me!

the trouble with that will be reflections on the surface of the glass, i think you will need a fairly large even light source maybe :thinking: trial and error I suppose

the trouble with that will be reflections on the surface of the glass, i think you will need a fairly large even light source maybe :thinking: trial and error I suppose

I think small and wide over from the side so no reflections. go-bo'ed to prevent flare! - We shall see! :naughty:

It's on theme....ooooooo nnooooo iiitttt'sss not :)

Very skilled of you.Thought you'd have made one with a balloon on, though.

Cheers.

Thank you. I did want to do a balloon* of course, this was suggested as a compromise, being a beginner. Good call as this was tricky enough!

It's a very therapeutic thing to do and there's a nice range of different skills required. The day flew by! :ROFLMAO:

:cow:

*I'm actually heavily involved with making a real balloon at the moment but that's another story.

Oooooo liking that Brian, I don't think the lead detail matters, a nice clean sharp bright image and having been made by your own fair hands... :cool:

Thanks Dean, the possibilities are endless, while I was there I kept thinking "imagine the backgrounds you could make by shooting a flash through some of this glass?"

Last edited:
Having read the comments, I understand now what you're saying about losing the texture (I think) i.e. the lead and the 3D effect that it would have given it.
As you say though, it's a learning experience and we all learn that way, looking forward to the next version.
But even as is, it seems a great shot to me, the back lighting of the glass has given you really good colours and there is plenty of texture to the glass.

Very impressive bit of glasswork there too :)

Back