Brian of Bozeats '26 from '52 - 2015 week 52: Christmas

Name
Brian (not Jeff)
Edit My Images
No
Hello folks, well here I am joining in for the second half of the year. (think of me as a sub who comes on at half time in a footy match)

So, my rules are these:

I'm joining in for the FUN of it, I will shoot each week and I will make an effort to match the themes - but as I am away quite a lot these days on business (4 trips to Asia in the last six months) it might not always possible. If this happens I will have to "play a joker" and post my favourite pic from that week.

Regarding comments. I like commenting and I think it is a big part of joining in the spirit of the '52. I will do my best but I won't worry or do mega catch ups if I miss a week or two, that's my life right now, sorry.

There may be quite a few arial shots, but that's a diffent story. ;)

BTW Does anyone know a good way to get pics from my (Nikon) cameras memory cards onto my ipad while travelling please?

Welcome back you lazy bugger :)

I've missed the cows ;)

I bought one of these to transfer photographs from memory cards to iPad, I can't recall if it imported RAW or JPEG :thinking:

Anyway good too see ya buddy :wave:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy I've had a look and ordered something similar, I needed the FireWire connector.

It's Good to be back in the fold... he says - not having posted any pics!

Last edited:
Week 27: Medical

Vaccination.

Back in the late 1700's medical scientists realised that milk maids didn't catch smallpox if they had previously contracted the much less dangerous cowpox.

In time the practice of proactively introducing people to an antigen in order to stimulate adaptive immunity to pathogens became known as "vaccination" (Vacca = cow in Latin)

I saw these fresian heifers in a pasture close to my Bozeat home earlier in the week, so I took a walk down there this afternoon for a look-see, they were friendly if a little skittish (well, they are still very young) this one was the least bothered with my intrusion.

View attachment 41131

Quick off the mark Brian .... for Week 27 that is ! Like the write-up as much as the photo which is nicely taken ... love the expression.

Quick off the mark Brian .... for Week 27 that is ! Like the write-up as much as the photo which is nicely taken ... love the expression.

Many thanks Carl for the kind words, I do like cows... and she is such a cutie!

B. :cow:

Hi Brian

Welcome to the 52s Second Half. Love the cow shot and the interesting origin of the vaccination word. I too like cows and would have taken a shot of one for my ANIMAL entry had I been anywhere near a field of them. I'm also trying to find a use for my new (used) wide angle lens ... and I think cows would be a good subject! Anyway, great low POV close-up. (y)

BTW Does anyone know a good way to get pics from my (Nikon) cameras memory cards onto my ipad while travelling please?

I don't have an iPad but isn't there a thing called an iStick? .... an adapter for your Nikon USB cable?

Last edited:
Thanks David, I am a BIG Cow fan. :D

Regarding the ipad thing, after Andy's post I bought one of these:

View attachment 41159

I have also set my camera to raw plus jpeg, and I got the pixelmator app. so I have no excuse not to post when I travel!

B :cow:

Hi, Brian, I use Snapseed on my iPad, it's free a works well.

Onto Medical, I wasn't aware of the derivation of Medical so I've learned something as well.

Nice low angle, great eye contact and good detail. Looks a little flat on my screen and it's a pity you couldn't isolate just one cow, that said, your first post had to be a cow :)

Cheers.

Hi Brian, thats a great start and I have learnt something, great angle and so brave to get so close, don't get me wrong I like cows but they are a little scary :wideyed:

good to see you back :banana:

:cow:

Next week you can try and get cheese in

Hi, Brian, I use Snapseed on my iPad, it's free a works well.

Onto Medical, I wasn't aware of the derivation of Medical so I've learned something as well.

Nice low angle, great eye contact and good detail. Looks a little flat on my screen and it's a pity you couldn't isolate just one cow, that said, your first post had to be a cow :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, of course it HAD to be cows! :D THB I tried to get them closer together but I didn't want to stress them, The idea being one amongst the herd. One cow on it's own often looks a bit sad to me, they are sociable creatures. :)

depth looks ok on my screen?

See, I have used snapseed on my phone in the past, I just looked up "best ipad phot editor" and went with pixelmator... but I shall put snapseed on my ipad too, thanks for the reminder.

Hi Brian, thats a great start and I have learnt something, great angle and so brave to get so close, don't get me wrong I like cows but they are a little scary :wideyed:

good to see you back :banana:

:cow:

Next week you can try and get cheese in

Thanks for your kind words, it's nice to be back. :D

Cows can be intimidating, Often the problem is they are so inquisitive that they gather round people who don't want such close attention. The way that they like to lick everything doesn't help either! That said, these ones were quite shy, this one was about a foot off the end of my 10-20mm lens at this point, i'd sat with her for about 5 mins and gradually moved closer while she muched the grass. This shot was the pick of the bunch. (y)

Hi Brian.
That's a great cow shot. It immediately made me think of Pink Floyd's 'Atom Heart Mother' cover, but actually, I think your shot is better!
Nicely sharp, great colours, interesting subject, and I guess you were really close to get that shot, rather than using a long zoom from the other side of the field.

Hi Brian.
That's a great cow shot. It immediately made me think of Pink Floyd's 'Atom Heart Mother' cover, but actually, I think your shot is better!
Nicely sharp, great colours, interesting subject, and I guess you were really close to get that shot, rather than using a long zoom from the other side of the field.

Thanks, yes I was close enough that i had to polish the spit off my lens afterwards!

Week 28: Proverb

Birds of a feather - flock together.

So this weekend I've been flying from Tiverton Balloon and music festival into the beautiful Quantock hills. Now can you imagine this, I stayed on a dairy farm and they even let me help milk the cows! I came out of the milking parlour with a memory card full of pictures... but I have to say my biggest thrill of the weekend was the flight I took with my wife in a very small brand new balloon belonging to my friend. I have lots of stills from the weekend but I've chosen a video / timelapse thingy as my submission for the week and here it is:

Last edited:
Thanks Brian ... thanks for the tour and fresh country air. Feel reinvigorated.

:clap: nice job, smooth landing, nice timelapse/FF thingy.

... wouldn't mind seeing some milking parlour shots if they're uploaded.

Hi Brian, well that just makes me very envious and therefore should be banned :p

Clever boy, apart from the crashing but ;)

An enjoyable watch, if not technically a photograph :p

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, you make a good point. As you have probably guessed I was shooting video and stills simultaneously, maybe you spotted our "selfie" moment? Perhaps I should have made this my image and added the you tube link as a "how to"? - Anyway, here's the aforementioned "photograph" :)

View attachment 41866

Thanks Brian ... thanks for the tour and fresh country air. Feel reinvigorated.

Cheers Carl.

:clap: nice job, smooth landing, nice timelapse/FF thingy.

... wouldn't mind seeing some milking parlour shots if they're uploaded.

Thank you, I'm rather proud of my "short" I must admit. :D

Regarding the cows, I will upload a couple of the better ones once they are processed. I have to admit I was a bit miffed that the quality is not what I would have liked, It was dark in there and I bumped the ISO to compensate (rather than use a flash and risk upsetting the "ladies") so very few are actually "use-able". Plus, Friesian cows are hard to shoot at the best of times as you loose the detail in the black or white if you don't get the exposure spot on. :(

Hi Brian, well that just makes me very envious and therefore should be banned :p

Hahaha, No need for envy I will share her if she likes you. OH, I see - you mean the flying! :ROFLMAO:

Shame about the cow shots, so best not bother uploading, not for my sake anyway. Wise not using a flash, I think.

I know a bit about cows, I studied at agricultural college donkeys years ago, but never took up a career in farming.

Shame about the cow shots, so best not bother uploading, not for my sake anyway. Wise not using a flash, I think.

I know a bit about cows, I studied at agricultural college donkeys years ago, but never took up a career in farming.

How did you learn about cows studying donkeys? :cautious: Oh, I do make myself laugh sometimes... :D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I will have a look though, there's one or two that are still nice despite the grain.

B :cow:

Hey Brian :)

Great to see you back AND such a great starting image, had to be a cow didn't it :D

I really like the low angle and close in wide angle, a real nice bright image too, bang on image wise (y)

Loved you time lapse and shoehorned theme, it's a real nice photo added to the end too, really looking forward to seeing your next images :)

Hey Brian :)

Great to see you back AND such a great starting image, had to be a cow didn't it :D

I really like the low angle and close in wide angle, a real nice bright image too, bang on image wise (y)

Loved you time lapse and shoehorned theme, it's a real nice photo added to the end too, really looking forward to seeing your next images :)

Thanks Dean, I didn't consider it a shoehorn though... cheeky bugger! :D:p

I stayed on a dairy farm and they even let me help milk the cows!
I hope they gave you some FRESH milk to drink, cold of course, one of my great memories from working on a farm
many years ago, fresh milk out of the cow, straight to the fridge, after hay making ;)

in a very small brand new balloon
Sod that rather you than me :D
Nice time lapse though (y)

I hope they gave you some FRESH milk to drink, cold of course, one of my great memories from working on a farm
many years ago, fresh milk out of the cow, straight to the fridge, after hay making ;)

Sod that rather you than me :D
Nice time lapse though (y)

Thanks for commenting, I didn't get any milk, it's probably against health and safety rules to drink unpasteurised milk these days!

Week 29: Pale

Here's a worn out shell that Kathie found on the beach in Norfolk (Near where we had the 2013 '52 TP meet). It's not quite what I was aiming for but I have used up all my "photo time" for today now and it's not a complete failure... is it?
View attachment 42123

I'd like to thank Allan "alsjazeera" for his help this week.

B. :cow:

Ah, Norfolk, I remember it well :)

On theme, nice detail and Iike the bands on the shell.

Crit, I'd like a little shadow detail on there surface from the shell, as it is it seems to be floating...I've been guilty of this several times.

Cheers.

Hi Brian, you have kept the definition in the shell which is good, a good white BG :clap:

Glad I could be of some help, I think Andy may have a point because its sitting on the floor it needs a little bit of an anchor point

Ah, Norfolk, I remember it well :)

On theme, nice detail and Iike the bands on the shell.

Crit, I'd like a little shadow detail on there surface from the shell, as it is it seems to be floating...I've been guilty of this several times.

Cheers.

Hi Brian, you have kept the definition in the shell which is good, a good white BG :clap:

Glad I could be of some help, I think Andy may have a point because its sitting on the floor it needs a little bit of an anchor point

You are both right, maybe this is why I can never get this white on white thing to my satisfaction. More work required, I think I'll do a bit of research this week... What ever happened to you minimalist project Andy? I remember you had some corking white on white images in that thread.

Hi Brian. I like the graduated coloured rings in the shell but looks a little "flat" without shadows to give it definition.

You are both right, maybe this is why I can never get this white on white thing to my satisfaction. More work required, I think I'll do a bit of research this week... What ever happened to you minimalist project Andy? I remember you had some corking white on white images in that thread.

Hi Brian the minimalist project is still going I'm just not rushing it really take your time I'm sure something will catch my eye very shortly cheers

Hi Brian ...I like the idea of the shell....nice pale colours there so spot on for the theme. I agree about a shadow, it does look a bit 'floaty' but your white background is excellent :clap: I find them so difficult to do.

I love Andys project too....I did have ago at trying to do something like it but not very successfully :(

Back