Beginner Camera to buy? for beginner and equipments ??

Name
william
Edit My Images
Yes
All I know right now is I want a body that is lightweight to carry around, take high quality images and can do great photography and videography without it compromising the other.

I know lenses matter more than the body, and I'm looking to invest in some great lenses as well. I want to shoot all kinds of pictures from wildlife, to food and decor, still life, fashion, events, portraits, sports, etc. ESPECIALLY astrophotography. Really, the sky's the limit. I also want to create a film/movie eventually so great autofocus is a plus.

I don't really understand IOS , MEGAPIXALS or SENSOR SIZE, so if anyone can explain to me in simplest terms so I know what I should be looking for, I'll really appreciate it. And If i'm missing anything else important I should know, please comment,

I was looking into the sony a7r ii because it's a mirrorless camera (lightweight) and it can use much of the canon lenses (which I see has great selections).
My budget right now is about 4k usd. I want to narrow down to a camera body that meet my needs, and I want to invest in extra batteries, tripod, flashes (if needed).

Thoughts? I need justification that I'm making the right choice. I am really looking forward to begin my journey.

Last edited:
Two months ago, you were told that an entry level DSLR was the smart choice; to get going and start learning and start doing anything at all... so, that advice has been ignored for two months, and your ideas, aspirations and ambitions have reached for the sky.. at night, and everything in between.... and you haven't done anything.... hmm...
The camera does not the photographer make.. but actually buying one,, ANY one, and using it does rather help!
Real in the ambitions, dreams and aspirations, and go get a bludy camera! Entry level DSLR is bang on the money, and stuff the lenses and the quality; until you are taking pictures it makes no odds, and util you have actually started to learn how to exploit even the most rudimentary equipment, 'better' gear wont make any difference to how good your photo's are likely to be!.
It's like you are stood outside the gym, pondering the best trainers to buy, that will give you that best edge in a decatholon, before you have even walked in the door and realised you is a LONG way from winning any gold medals! And that its the athlete, and their dedication to the training and excersise that wins them, not the footwear!
Great Cameras don't make great photo's; great photographers do... and you wont start to become a photographer until you pick up a camera.. ANY damn camera and start training with it!
An entry level DSLRand no more than the kit lens it comes with, is still the answer to your question, and gets you started... which is further than you have got in the last couple of months!.
Stop ogling the lovelies in their swim-suits, and either dive in the pool or go have a cold shower! But wither way, stop procrastinating!

I imagine we are all wasting our time giving you further advice after the excellent advice in the last thread but given that you say you have $4000 to spend (do you really or is that an aspiration too?), then spend 10% of that on a second-hand APSC or full-frame sensor body and a fast (f2.8) lens, use it, use it a lot and then what you really want. The reason for suggesting a large sensor and a fast lens is it will do what your iPhone can't, i.e. shallow depth of field And forget video for the time being, your iPhone is more than capable at that.

So go and buy whatever you can get for $400 that meets that spec and that way you get some real world experience. You can then sell that and get something “better” when you understand its limitations and what you really need.

Whatever you buy and whatever your budget you WILL feel the need to upgrade in a year or two, so start at the bottom of the hill and work your way up rather than trying to helicopter yourself to the top of the hill only to find it’s the wrong hill.

4000$? Thats alot of money to throw into ones first camera and acc.
Think what happens when the first entusiasm cools and frustration over lack of results kick in. When the outcome does not meet the expectations fed by using expensiv progear.
When composition sucks, exposure is way off and wrong AF modus/pattern makes everything out of focus. And we havn't even touched post processing yet.
Get a cheap entryevel as youve allready been told and start using it.

Since you are considering the A7RII, then my suggestion would be to opt for a Sony A6000 with 16-50 kit lens as your 'try it and see' camera.

Add the 50 f/1.8 to allow you to experiment with shallow DOF.

It's a reasonably cheap option, but packs a lot of capability, and, importantly, has a similar size / feel to the A7 cameras so will not only tell you if photography is indeed for you, but also if mirrorless and the compact Sony bodyworks for you.

(I personally love my A6000 as a compact travel camera, but when I don't have size / weight constraints I use an A900, which is a much bigger and heavier camera, and I find more instinctive to use).

Back