Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Well looks like I have a lot of reading to do in the=is thread as I have just took the plunge and bought a 7D.
Hope the weekend flys by so it can be delivered quickly.

Well looks like I have a lot of reading to do in the=is thread as I have just took the plunge and bought a 7D.
Hope the weekend flys by so it can be delivered quickly.

Good choice, you wont regret it! I took the plunge from an 1100D to a 7D and as soon as I took it out of the box I could tell the difference.

Best thing I have ever bought :)

Well it arrived today:D, read the manual whilst waiting for the battery to charge and it does ne seem as daunting as first thought reading this thread, looking forward to getting out tomorrow and using it.

My 3rd party grip also arrived with 2 3rd party batteries but there seems to be a problem with them.
When the battery that came with the camera charged it went from one flash to three then the green light to say it was fully charged, but when i have tired to charge the 3rd party batteries the light just flashes orange constalnly, not 1 then 2 then 3 per second i am talking constantly.
Has anyone else experienced this??

Well it arrived today:D, read the manual whilst waiting for the battery to charge and it does ne seem as daunting as first thought reading this thread, looking forward to getting out tomorrow and using it.

My 3rd party grip also arrived with 2 3rd party batteries but there seems to be a problem with them.
When the battery that came with the camera charged it went from one flash to three then the green light to say it was fully charged, but when i have tired to charge the 3rd party batteries the light just flashes orange constalnly, not 1 then 2 then 3 per second i am talking constantly.
Has anyone else experienced this??

Took me about 3 days before I started to not look where the buttons were. Move from the 550D was baffling at firs, but it doesn't take long to get into the swing of things (he says knowing full well I'll be back on this thread asking questions lol)

I did find that with the first 3rd party battery I bought. I returned. I can confirm this one works great with the charger.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221204783944 so does this one from powerplanet (but it took over 2 weeks for delivery from them. It came from Belgium )... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003P58MHA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Dave

So what you are saying is the batteries are either not compatible or they are just duff??

Thanks Dave

So what you are saying is the batteries are either not compatible or they are just duff??

Personally I think some of the 3rd party ones are just not compatible with the charger. The seller will say they are fully charged but it won't register on the charger or camera. Pah, I want to know how much battery like I have left.

ps, I don't know that ebay seller. Just bought from them and the battery is good.

Its registering the charge bar in the camera and showing about 3/4 full

Exactly what I found. The charger flashes once, then twice, the three times really quickly. But never fully charge and go to green. If you can I would return it. I want to know when the battery is charged properly.
I know there's always a risk with 3rd party things but there's something dodgy about batteries that don't show full charge.

Have not charged the batteries I only put them in the charger for less than a minute and realised something was not quite right so no time to charge them form what they came with if that makes sense

Have not charged the batteries I only put them in the charger for less than a minute and realised something was not quite right so no time to charge them form what they came with if that makes sense

Well any of the two links I showed I can confirm the batteries are ok.

Last edited:
Cheers Dave.

I have emailed the seller of the grip and batteries and will see what he comes aback with before i buy any more.
Camera feels so small without the grip, my 50D was always gripped so this is going to be unusual to use till I get the batteries sorted.

Joined the 7D club late last week, very excited, but self induced torture as don't have a lens yet :LOL:

This thread has been very informative and hope to start contributing shortly.

Joined the 7D club late last week, very excited, but self induced torture as don't have a lens yet :LOL:

This thread has been very informative and hope to start contributing shortly.

Get yourself to Park Cameras and buy a 50mm f1.8 - it's cheap and should be a part of everybody's kit.

I've recently got the Tamron 70-300 or a budget tele iam very happy with the results! Recommended!

+1 for the 50 1.8!
Great lens at a fab price to get you going in a hurry. I have to say though my absolute favourite is the 17-55 2.8.
Enjoy your new toy :)

Last edited:
Just spent an hour out with my new 7D tonight and to say I impressed for first shots is an understatement.
Only had the 100-400 attached but was well pleased with the results see them in here

+1 for the 50 1.8!
Great lens at a fab price to get you going in a hurry. I have to say though my absolute favourite is the 17-55 1.8.
Enjoy your new toy :)
The 17-55 F/2.8 is is by far the best walkabout lens available for a Canon crop. Everyone with a 7D should own or save up for this lens. It is the closest thing to 24-70L II for a crop, being sharper than a 24-105L, and pretty much equal to what a 24-70L mkI can do, with the added benefit of IS.

After 3 years and 11-12K clicks of 7D ownership I am about to move on, but boy have I enjoyed this camera. After buying/selling many lenses for it, my final "perfect kit" was as follows:-
*Sigma 10-20mm (I only shoot ultra-wide occasionally so couldn't justify the Canon)
*17-55 F/2.8 IS (replaced my 24-105L, 50mm F/1.4 and 35mm F/2)
*70-300L (replaced both my 70-200 F/4L IS and 100-400L)

It really is amazing how good this camera still is three-and-a-half years after launch, and how ahead of it's time it was at launch. The 7D II will have a lot to live up to.

edit: With the 7D II likely to cost £1500-£1800 at launch, the 7D classic is a bargain.

Last edited:
Only had a quick play with mine as it arrived 3 hours ago with virtually zero battery but it does seem a fantastic bit of kit.

Already wondering how many bunches of flowers it would take for the girlfriend to authorise me getting another!

The 17-55 F/2.8 is is by far the best walkabout lens available for a Canon crop. Everyone with a 7D should own or save up for this lens.

Disagree, its too short. When I had an 18-55 lens I was forever swapping to my 55-250 and back again. Drove me mad.

17-55 is EF-S only too, so useless if you upgrade to full frame.

I'm more than happy with my 24-105.

Disagree, its too short. When I had an 18-55 lens I was forever swapping to my 55-250 and back again. Drove me mad.

I have the 24-105 and the 17-55 for my 7D, I have to say the 17-55 is my favourite by a long way........
Yes, I wish it was longer but I can always use my 18-200 if I know I'm going to be swapping a lot.

If range is what concerns you most, then the 24-105 is a solid lens (both optically and mechanically). However, it cannot compete with the IQ of the 17-55, no way, it's not even close. My 17-55 is sharper at F/2.8 than my two 24-105's have been at F/4. The L is a great kit lens for FF, but this glass was simply not designed for an 18MP crop sensor. Sure, it will provide less distortion and vignetting wide open at the wide end, but it lacks killer resolution. The 24-105 also feels a bit slow (aperture wise) on a crop where it offers the equivalent DOF of F/5.6 on FF.

The closest walkabout L lens optically to the EF-S 17-55 is probably the 24-70L mkI. The 24-70 mkII is the only one which can out-resolve it, but that costs more than twice the price of both the 17-55 and 24-105, plus lacks IS.

The 24-105 is not a bad lens. It has great range, good IS, superb build quality, and very decent IQ. The 17-55 is however sharper, faster and significantly wider. For me, the 17-23mm range is also much more useful than 56-105mm on a walkabout lens. The F/2.8 and additional sharpness of the 17-55 just seal the deal, although I do wist it had the 24-105's build quality.

edit: Photozone.de have some rather nifty reviews and resolution graphs for most modern lenses. They also concur that the 17-55 is sharper at F/2.8 than the 24-105 is at F/4 (and this was on a 15MP crop which doesn't push the resolution so hard). Borders are closer, but are generally not as important. The optics limit the 24-105 at such high pixel density, this being a lens which is better suited to FF sensors with lower densities (larger pixels).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Free time or rather the lack thereof has prevented me getting a lens this week, which is a shame as away on a canal boat for the weekend which would have been a great opportunity to get to know the 7D.

The two lens' at the top of my shopping list are the 17-55 2.8 and a used 70-200 2.8. This combination will meet my needs for family, landscape and dog shooting, once I've got a feel for preferred focal lengths may get a prime.

I didn't say the 17-55 lens was bad, all I said was (imho) its too short. No point having the best lens ever if you can't frame the shots you want.
My dad says one man's Marmaite is another mans Marmite, meaning what seems perfect for one person is not necessary perfect for another. You crave more distance, whilst I prefer a bit more width and speed for indoor shots. We both have our ideal lenses.

My dad says one man's Marmaite is another mans Marmite, meaning what seems perfect for one person is not necessary perfect for another. You crave more distance, whilst I prefer a bit more width and speed for indoor shots. We both have our ideal lenses.

The other good option is EF-S 15-85 3.5-5.6. Compared to 17-55, it trades f/2.8 for more focal length range at both ends. It's as sharp as they come and well made too.

I too have just joined the 7D fraternity, moving up from a 40D. I'm pretty impressed so far although I think it'll take a little while to get to grips with it fully. I have noticed though the pictures look much better on the LCd than they do initially on the PC :)

A couple of initial offerings:

IMG_0258 by Yaaan74, on Flickr

IMG_0040 by Yaaan74, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by Yaaan74, on Flickr

The swan's head isn't particularly interesting but I was impressed at how sharp it came out.

I noticed that too Ian but I guess its because its such a small screen you cannot get a full perspective of the picture.

If you are shooting RAW, then your preview shots will look better. That is because the preview is a JPEG image and we all know that RAW images do need post processing.

An excellent lens on the 7D is the EF-S 15-85.

Yes, no use if you upgrade to full frame but why would you buy a lens such as a 24-105 to use with a 7D based on the fact that you might eventually maybe perhaps inshalla upgrade to full frame. The EF-S 17-55 and 15-85 lenses are better suited to the 7D than the 24-105 and both can easily be sold when and if one upgrades.

An excellent lens on the 7D is the EF-S 15-85.

Yes, no use if you upgrade to full frame but why would you buy a lens such as a 24-105 to use with a 7D based on the fact that you might eventually maybe perhaps inshalla upgrade to full frame. The EF-S 17-55 and 15-85 lenses are better suited to the 7D than the 24-105 and both can easily be sold when and if one upgrades.

This has always been my train of thought when people say that i might upgrade.
If you had both then i could see the need for a non EF-S lens but not on the premise of a might.

If you are shooting RAW, then your preview shots will look better. That is because the preview is a JPEG image and we all know that RAW images do need post processing.

It hadn't crossed my mind that it would be displaying JPEGs but makes sense. Now I am wiser, thanks :)

Quite, but then it wasn't me who said:

The 17-55 F/2.8 is is by far the best walkabout lens available for a Canon crop. Everyone with a 7D should own or save up for this lens.

was it ?

That answers one of my questions as well....always wondered why sometimes they look so much better on the camera.

Back