Carl's 2017 TP52 Challenge

Hi Carl sorry I'm a little late!
Thank you for taking the time for catch up comments Mark.
Very nice mineral (water) image Carl, Interesting levitating banana too, well executed :)
Thanks Mr.C. Levitating or otherwise, these themes are sending me bananas - mojo awol.
Good clear nearly whole Shot, like them both :)
Thanks David. A bit hit or miss at the moment - just treading water.

The wrap is somewhat lost on me, but I like the idea of your flying banana!

Your banana has disappeared on my screen Carl ...have to agree with the others on Whole, not up to your usual excellent standard :)
Thank you Susie - the "flying banana" must have taken off ... I think I deleted it from Flickr 'cos I wasn't that taken with it so you haven't missed much ha ha.

Wheres the banana gone, I haven't seen it yet :( Moving on, as I don't like tomatoes or cucumber I'll just pass on by :whistle:
Thanks Jill. I took the "flying banana" off - it was OK but nothing startling really, just pleased to have been (marginally) successful in achieving that image trickery. (I love toms ... aren't they supposed to have beneficial properties in countering the effects of harsh sunlight ... not that that is a great problem here ?!?)

Thanks Jill. I took the "flying banana" off - it was OK but nothing startling really, just pleased to have been (marginally) successful in achieving that image trickery. (I love toms ... aren't they supposed to have beneficial properties in countering the effects of harsh sunlight ... not that that is a great problem here ?!?)

Full of minerals :wave:

Full of minerals :wave:
Ha ha ha that too ... so much more socially acceptable than a blooming garlic pod .... plus you don't have to wave a hand in front of your nose when viewing MY image on-screen. :p

Prefer the second one tbf, the No Entry signs spoil the first for me. Totally on theme though (y)
Hmmm thanks Chris. I was so totally with the first because of all the coal merchants signage and clutter on the rhs plus more detail in the arches and road leading off. Oh well.

Hmmm thanks Chris. I was so totally with the first because of all the coal merchants signage and clutter on the rhs plus more detail in the arches and road leading off. Oh well.
I agree with the arches, personally I feel that's where the image lies, I might have focused on the 3 arches and ignored the rest. But that's what makes Photography great, we all have our own style and interpretation of a scene. The exposure and colours are spot on (y)

#2 for me too, is that a train I see :D Good sharp focus and nicely on theme :)
Thanks David - Southern trains grace this part of the country occasionally ... such a rarity that commuters pay lots for the privilege of hanging around platforms in the forlorn hope of actually using one to get to work !

1st one with the coal merchant for me I like the clutter and the road leading through the picture, better light too, a great brick structure indeed

The first one for me in spite of the clutter. In the second the house seems to take centre stage...

Whole - a nice colourful image, but I also cant see where the image is going :thinking: structure - two good images for the them, but I like the cleaner composition of the 2nd image.
Thanks Mandy.

1st one with the coal merchant for me I like the clutter and the road leading through the picture, better light too, a great brick structure indeed
Thank you Allan

The first one for me in spite of the clutter. In the second the house seems to take centre stage...
Thanks Bernd. I like the first because of and not despite the clutter.

First for me too Carl - the clutter adds to it and I like the detail in the brickwork and the patina on the metal of the bridge. The curve of the road is spot on too.
Thanks Emma. First outdoor shot for this year's TP, a sure sign Spring is on the way.

definitely prefer the second, the first for me is cluttered but also (unless something wrong with my eyes) is there something wrong with the arches? its almost like the image has been squigged together, compressed?

definitely prefer the second, the first for me is cluttered but also (unless something wrong with my eyes) is there something wrong with the arches? its almost like the image has been squigged together, compressed?
Thank you. Nothing wrong with the arches, just the angle Frank

I like #1 because there's something odd going on. Good compo, but the angle of the wall at the roadside is not the same as the arches, leaving the arches looking much deeper.

I like #1 because there's something odd going on. Good compo, but the angle of the wall at the roadside is not the same as the arches, leaving the arches looking much deeper.
Thanks David. Not sure I fully understand - Frank said something similar. I can't see any distortion - the arches are very deep. The second shot was taken from an elevated position and show the lesser arches on the left side of the road. The other side, the subject of the first shot are very much deeper. I haven't performed any stretching or compression of the image. Strange.

What I mean Carl - re #1 - is that the arches are parallel with each but the road runs under the rail line at an angle. Your #1 gives the impression the arches are deeper than the bridge whereas the road actually takes the long route under the line.

Still doesn't make any sense I know. :D

? Is it something like this:
a4VnRQnTwGyHSelGEzxoQKIWJ7hUYkOWjGudub_nOAyTsj8nqZSrZJi0-qafgbiNOMZpr_u4vOo1RC_ymArL39jCb_JkQej4L1L-tq5h_mSTYINH-OTuf-eMNs76zB6UAsNllT3KFsVXzglu4pX5WaqfrZOsWPMIu6Y1hmB8ZI2nykHQWCx1r2DEdfhkym16Y0-L8dt-0mQ74e9iU9NowZO2BISVM_G3G7Y6d7T_Lzf2htv4evdN2giuyApItUeh9ET7CvZ4KNynLLjnxcvCiGvtI1Eq0kTgqkDOWSnnkAgr5YC6m4cvm4V3TffncBBjf7m9hfVt-n5S3DCpJyXzqjoCfo9dxgE6cQ_ju47eAlGnU56lNyjPixjjWBd9BbOIxmTcvI1fXY1p0f_7pTxYS3HUpY2Y1_5VUkyV3306aXWHdXWClbiEbgIZi9WlaXXV4aD9AgKdKMgoHlfM7G3WIWBg96rn9F_Yi-b9sDzLNkAyXMrlKfpVEWYT3QtiYvFZ48vwpPxWw45nrwEo4GxWpGlZ_HuH4cXr_MrqfuSM_KxF-NbP_PKLwZFlEgrfzM3Q2ycQ10GOXzwhfI_N8E32uib1RMeQjDFe3GSJ35NJj8RQNL9KZnPm=w281-h439-no

Still doesn't make any sense I know. :D ? Is it something like this:
Thanks for taking the time David. Your sketch illustrates the route the road takes (and camera position) quite accurately - it does cut across at an angle to the railway. Here's are Google Earth images. I think that first bricked-up archway is less deep because the road cuts it into a wedge shape and maybe that's what creates a visual distortion. On the other hand .... what do I know?
123nl8o.jpg
29ofhj4.jpg

Last edited:
ahhh. i see now how the railway slow arcs away from the camera, i wonder if that's what causing my eye to be funny?

ahhh. i see now how the railway slow arcs away from the camera, i wonder if that's what causing my eye to be funny?
Actually Frank, I wondered whether you and @d00d were seeing lens distortion but can understand from the Google Earth image how/why the depth of those arches may create a visual "abnormality". You and David have excellent visual translation skills I must say .. .envious.

Actually Frank, I wondered whether you and @d00d were seeing lens distortion but can understand from the Google Earth image how/why the depth of those arches may create a visual "abnormality". You and David have excellent visual translation skills I must say .. .envious.

see now Carl, you have gotten me thinking what the cause could be.. and shooting it at 44mm according tot he exif, could that really be causing such distortion? {scratches chin}

see now Carl, you have gotten me thinking what the cause could be.. and shooting it at 44mm according tot he exif, could that really be causing such distortion? {scratches chin}
I don't have a clue about lens distortions Frank but found this extract from a Lab Test Report on the lens. "Typical for many "super" zoom lenses the Canon exhibits an extreme amount of barrel distortion at 18mm (~4.2%). The problem is substantially reduced at 24mm (~0.7%) and beyond there is only moderate pincushion distortion around ~1%".

Good spot with the southern rail train, you should post it on the birding thread, they like rare and unusual things :). But first for me, I agree about the coal merchants and it is definitely spot on for the theme.

Good spot with the southern rail train, you should post it on the birding thread, they like rare and unusual things :). But first for me, I agree about the coal merchants and it is definitely spot on for the theme.
Thank you Chris - like the pensive look in your new profile pic.

Number one for me too Carl. I like all the detail on the rhs and the leading line on the lhs. Gives me something to explore in the image. In number two the house is too prominent in the foreground.

I never spotted the optical illusion but now I've seen it it's quite interesting, I might have been cheeky and moved the sign with the blue letters on the back out of the way just for a second if it was safe to do of course. (y)

Back