weekly Chrispp My 52's Challenge Weeks 33,34,35,& 36

Happy - I'll forgive it as this is an archive shot ;) however to get the best impact from a shot of a moving vechicle the general rule is to leave space for the vechicle to move into.
So you would aim to have the bike roughly on the right hand third line (so for that reason you'll find that many vechicle shots are cropped).
Nice bit of motion blur in the spokes of the wheels :)
Presumably that bike is a copy of a Honda CG125. With the exception of the bikini, it certainly has the feel of one.

Happy - I'll forgive it as this is an archive shot ;) however to get the best impact from a shot of a moving vechicle the general rule is to leave space for the vechicle to move into.
So you would aim to have the bike roughly on the right hand third line (so for that reason you'll find that many vechicle shots are cropped).
Nice bit of motion blur in the spokes of the wheels :)
Presumably that bike is a copy of a Honda CG125. With the exception of the bikini, it certainly has the feel of one.
Thanks for the advice Tim, just what I'm after. Your right about the bike ! I didn't see many if any Honda's they were all copies. :) Another member mentioned archive shots so will bear that in mind for the future. I am on my travels next week so I want to 'tick' off the current week and catch up on a few past weeks. I have uploaded the iPad versions of LR and PS so let's see what the outcome is.

Welcome to the 52 challenge! ;) You’ve made a good start with some nice photos there. Regarding oof blur, why not blur your photos with your camera (with aperture settings) instead of doing it in photoshop? It would be easier and look more natural, I think?

I really like your happy picture. A great moment captured! :)

Covered is a good find. I’d not have thought of that for the theme if Id seen it! I might try to find a different angle to shoot it, though. The tree and rocks appear to be cropped at a strange level. I might try to get them on either side of the photo (instead of covering the whole top third) by moving the camera to the right, or perhaps shoot from a lower angle and increase the depth of field so the focus is more on the sand on the ground.

Of course this is just all theory and I don’t really know what the conditions are there, so I might be wrong! :p

I think you get bonus points for posting from an iPad whilst on holiday, that's dedication. The link works but it hasn't embedded the photo in the thread, good idea for the theme but could do with a bit of a lift.

Welcome to the 52 challenge! ;) You’ve made a good start with some nice photos there. Regarding oof blur, why not blur your photos with your camera (with aperture settings) instead of doing it in photoshop? It would be easier and look more natural, I think?

I really like your happy picture. A great moment captured! :)

Covered is a good find. I’d not have thought of that for the theme if Id seen it! I might try to find a different angle to shoot it, though. The tree and rocks appear to be cropped at a strange level. I might try to get them on either side of the photo (instead of covering the whole top third) by moving the camera to the right, or perhaps shoot from a lower angle and increase the depth of field so the focus is more on the sand on the ground.

Of course this is just all theory and I don’t really know what the conditions are there, so I might be wrong! :p

Agree with your comments regarding off blur still trying to master my use of my camera and lenses available. And of course my composition:)
Covered was a spur of the moment photo, I have got a second choice of the path and a different subject. Found these today in my wondering.
Been extremely windy in Cyprus today so sand has appeared and settled (covered) some nice objects so I'll post these when I get back.
Horizontal the palm trees are great !
Many thanks for taking the time to read and comment most appreciated Chris

I think you get bonus points for posting from an iPad whilst on holiday, that's dedication. The link works but it hasn't embedded the photo in the thread, good idea for the theme but could do with a bit of a lift.
Totally agree sirch but looking at the results on my iPad and editing well, that's another story. For the life of me trying to get the BB code to copy on my iPad just won't happen. I have been back to the path today and retook so I'll revisit that one based on comments. I have had a good day today with a few pics for horizontal, old, and I am sure a few others to help me catch up.
Thanks very much for your comments and taking time to view my thread, it is really helpful for me and really appreciated Chris

Welcome to the 52 Chris :)

Trust you to start when I am away, I'm behind already :D

Liking your style so far, the old car is a cracking start, really like it being hid behind some branches...The colour of the rusty metals nice and punchy... and the entangled metal was a good spot although a bit central for my liking... but the TS building and Bridge is the stand out image for me, a harsh transition yes but not that noticeable unless you look for it for me, that spot was bang on for the treatment, great start (y)

Welcome to the 52 Chris :)

Trust you to start when I am away, I'm behind already :D

Liking your style so far, the old car is a cracking start, really like it being hid behind some branches...The colour of the rusty metals nice and punchy... and the entangled metal was a good spot although a bit central for my liking... but the TS building and Bridge is the stand out image for me, a harsh transition yes but not that noticeable unless you look for it for me, that spot was bang on for the treatment, great start (y)

Thanks DK, I am on a bit of a mission now to catch up. Thought process is I can then concentrate on each weeks task better. Away this week and got a few photos which will help me 'tick' a few weeks off. Thanks for taking the time to view and reply really appreciated Chris

Hi Chris

Not sure what you're using to host the first few images but they're taking AGES to download. As in minutes!

Metal is interesting with the colour and textures. Good spot but a different angle of view might give you more perspective / DOF to play with?

Capture - really good spot and although the image isn't one you'd necessarily hang on a wall (not all have to be) I think it tells a really interesting story... which is brill.

The TS miniature shot is effective. Not a massive fan of TS, but it works here. Nicely done!

Happy - good capture and great engagement. I'd crop from the right a fair bit to lose the background and give them relatively more space to drive into...

Covered - classical composition but maybe needs softer light to bring out the most of it? Which might be hard in Cyprus in May!

Some good shots there - keep it up Chris!

Hi Chris

Not sure what you're using to host the first few images but they're taking AGES to download. As in minutes!

Metal is interesting with the colour and textures. Good spot but a different angle of view might give you more perspective / DOF to play with?

Capture - really good spot and although the image isn't one you'd necessarily hang on a wall (not all have to be) I think it tells a really interesting story... which is brill.

The TS miniature shot is effective. Not a massive fan of TS, but it works here. Nicely done!

Happy - good capture and great engagement. I'd crop from the right a fair bit to lose the background and give them relatively more space to drive into...

Covered - classical composition but maybe needs softer light to bring out the most of it? Which might be hard in Cyprus in May!

Some good shots there - keep it up Chris!

Thanks Paul, there hosted on Flickr so should download fine? Strange that. Might be the size I select in the BB code ?

I'm back home now so will look at processing Covered on my Mac as this was on an iPad. Not brilliant.

Many thanks for your comments really appreciated and thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I need the CC soo much. I'll revisit some of the pictures and your ideas to see what they look like definitely. Thanks again Paul Chris

Back to the land of the living and got a few to post :) This weeks Colourful
Came across this metal frame covered in colourful ribbons and pieces of material.
Was just after midday i know but was stuck for time

Cropped to the right but not 100% sure ? CC really welcome

Colourful by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking Chris

Last edited:
Another couple to catch up Abandoned and Danger !
Both from my visit to Cyprus last week.

Abandoned - A wheel and tyre left by the side of the road. Must of been there for years !

Abandoned 2 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Danger - Very windy one afternoon the whole beach was empty. Came across the warning tower. Quite liked the colours

Danger by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Really liking all three of those for the topics Chris ...I like the crop for Colourful, but I'd like to see it all too simply because it looks so interesting, (there's a horizon behind it, is it straight o_O) The tyre is spot on for the theme, and I love Danger ...the crop, the colour ...a real eye catcher :clap:

Hi, colour works well as for the crop would perhaps lose the bottom the land in the distance it adds nothing really otherwise its fine
Danger works really well love the bold primary colours

Hi Chris. Excellent catch-up - all good shots. I like the decay and texture of Abandoned and the crisp clean lines of Danger but the star image for me has to be Colourful with all the vibrant ... um ... colours set against that vast bg and beautiful blue sky. :clap:

Hi Chris

Well done on the catch-up.

• Colourful - Best of the bunch, that's a good image. Plenty of colour, and an obvious focal point. (y)

• Abandoned - Nicely on theme, plenty of texture in focus. the inclusion of the foliage top right detracts from the simplicity of the shot and vies for attention. This is one of those occasions where I suspect the adage of 'check the background' was missed. Crop or clone it out and you'll have a stronger shot :)

• Danger - Nice contrast of the red and blue, and the flag is sharp though it was obviously moving (y).
    However, it's a bit middle of the image. If possible (and I don't know what else was around), I would have had the hut smaller in the frame, on the right hand 1/3rd line

Really liking all three of those for the topics Chris ...I like the crop for Colourful, but I'd like to see it all too simply because it looks so interesting, (there's a horizon behind it, is it straight o_O) The tyre is spot on for the theme, and I love Danger ...the crop, the colour ...a real eye catcher :clap:

Thanks Suzie, heres the original Colourful. Might consider another crop and angle ?

Colourful Original by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

I couldn't resist the danger with the colours they just popped out to me. I took some great photos of a few other danger flags I came across.
Thanks for viewing and comenting really appreciated Chris

Hi, colour works well as for the crop would perhaps lose the bottom the land in the distance it adds nothing really otherwise its fine
Danger works really well love the bold primary colours

Allan, I have posted the original and think i might reconsider this one ? Perhaps another crop
Thanks for viewing and comenting really appreciated Chris

Hi Chris. Excellent catch-up - all good shots. I like the decay and texture of Abandoned and the crisp clean lines of Danger but the star image for me has to be Colourful with all the vibrant ... um ... colours set against that vast bg and beautiful blue sky. :clap:

Thanks Carl :)

Hi Chris

• Colourful - Best of the bunch, that's a good image. Plenty of colour, and an obvious focal point. (y)

• Abandoned - Nicely on theme, plenty of texture in focus. the inclusion of the foliage top right detracts from the simplicity of the shot and vies for attention. This is one of those occasions where I suspect the adage of 'check the background' was missed. Crop or clone it out and you'll have a stronger shot :)

• Danger - Nice contrast of the red and blue, and the flag is sharp though it was obviously moving (y).
    However, it's a bit middle of the image. If possible (and I don't know what else was around), I would have had the hut smaller in the frame, on the right hand 1/3rd line

Hi Tim, thanks for your comments most appreciated.
Looking at the Abandoned totally agree and will crop that top right out
Ill have to have a rethink around danger and the positioning. Got quite a few shots of this building

Really appreciate your comments ;)

Chris

Hi Chris

Had a rethink Tim, whats your thoughts on this

Colourful Recrop-3 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Hi Chris

Colourful ... cheerful subject and sky too. (y) I think shot for a lower POV with a BG of purely sky would simplify the image and perhaps make it more abstracty!

Abandoned ... what a find. (y) Great detail of beautiful abandonment.

Danger ... perfect, includes the danger word too. Great colour, nicely framed, I don't think it's too central.

Hi Chris

Colourful ... cheerful subject and sky too. (y) I think shot for a lower POV with a BG of purely sky would simplify the image and perhaps make it more abstracty!

Abandoned ... what a find. (y) Great detail of beautiful abandonment.

Danger ... perfect, includes the danger word too. Great colour, nicely framed, I don't think it's too central.

Thanks David, must admit I wish I had more time to take more photos at different angles for the ribbon tree. Shame really.
I am still sat on the fence with regard to Danger as I like the original position and also Tims suggestion.

Thanks for commenting appreciated

Chris

Great shots for colourful and danger - I like the crop of the first with just a hint of the view and setting, and I agree with @d00d that the framing of danger works fine. The vibrant colours and abstract feel of this are fab :clap:

Thanks Emma, must admit I am still 50/50 with the Danger pic. If my PS skills were better I may of looked further into Tim's suggestion. Thanks for commenting Chris

Week 20 Entrance

The Secret Garden "Entrance" Grafton Manor

Entrance by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

A few more, still trying to catch up. These were from my trip to Cyprus last week and a morning in the glorious Bath City

Vast

Vast by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Rough, quite windy one day. Deserted beach !

Rough3 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Topical, this was taken outside Bath Abbey. Thought was quite sobering hence the B&W

Topical by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Horizontal A few variants on this so below is my favourite but below is my 2nd

Horizontal by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

2nd Horizontal

Horizontal2 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Spikey

Spikey2 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Living World, Cactus with names and "dates" scored into the surface

Living World by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Hi Chris. Doing well with the catch-up's. Like the choice of subject and composition for Entrance and the same for Rough. Excellent b&w for Topical - very sharp and loads of detail to engage the viewer. My fave of the set is Horizontal (the original) - the soft contoured shadows are not horizontal but imply the origin being so - I like the subtlety of the take and the lighting is beautiful. (y)

Sorry I don't have time to do a full catch up but I think your first horizontal shot is very good indeed, well seen. Rough took me a moment to see what was going on but again a really good take on the theme.

Entrance is a good idea but perhaps could do with a little more emphasis on the door for me.

Blimey you have been busy Chris!
Nice vibrant images for the most part ( those that were intended to be that is)

Colourful, I wouldn't alter the crop on the first one, (post #52) it works well.

Bugger... now this is going to be one of them topugh threads to keep up with, I remember Paul @pjm1 when he started late in the year... every other photo was one of his :D

Colourful - Seeing what you cropped from I like your selection, concentrating on the fabrics against the nice sky works well :)

Abandoned - Simple but VERY effective, not certain on the crop or leaves top right, but guess the leaves add some context, and also real sharp in the center of the shot, background well out of focus too, nice one :)

Danger - Hmmmmmm tough one, loved it at first glance, but wanted it flipped horizontal to get the flag text correct way round, then I thought I saw your edit, loved the wide crop even more, but then noticed it was Tim's... sorry - Still, going back to the original shot I still love it, great colours, like the crop too, I'd be happy with that myself (y)

Of the next shots, loving the PP of entrance, it stands out nice enough against the wall and greenery...

Horizontal - Really liking the first one with the slatted light on the couch and cushions :clap:

Sorry... I cant comment on all - I need to go to bed my eyes keep shutting :D

Hi Chris. Doing well with the catch-up's. Like the choice of subject and composition for Entrance and the same for Rough. Excellent b&w for Topical - very sharp and loads of detail to engage the viewer. My fave of the set is Horizontal (the original) - the soft contoured shadows are not horizontal but imply the origin being so - I like the subtlety of the take and the lighting is beautiful. (y)

Thanks Carl, the horizontal was taken when I was lying on a belanize bed, saw the shadows and the rest is above.

Sorry I don't have time to do a full catch up but I think your first horizontal shot is very good indeed, well seen. Rough took me a moment to see what was going on but again a really good take on the theme.

Entrance is a good idea but perhaps could do with a little more emphasis on the door for me.

Thanks Chris for your comments, I'll have a rethink around the entrance pic. Quite a heavy crop to be honest so I have a fair bit to play with.

Blimey you have been busy Chris!
Nice vibrant images for the most part ( those that were intended to be that is)

Colourful, I wouldn't alter the crop on the first one, (post #52) it works well.

Thanks, I want to catch up by end of next month. Struggling with inspiration for camouflage though

interesting shots, nice to see you getting back on track, like the shadows on the cloth.

Thanks Walter, had some nice feedback on the cushions

Bugger... now this is going to be one of them topugh threads to keep up with, I remember Paul @pjm1 when he started late in the year... every other photo was one of his :D

Colourful - Seeing what you cropped from I like your selection, concentrating on the fabrics against the nice sky works well :)

Abandoned - Simple but VERY effective, not certain on the crop or leaves top right, but guess the leaves add some context, and also real sharp in the center of the shot, background well out of focus too, nice one :)

Danger - Hmmmmmm tough one, loved it at first glance, but wanted it flipped horizontal to get the flag text correct way round, then I thought I saw your edit, loved the wide crop even more, but then noticed it was Tim's... sorry - Still, going back to the original shot I still love it, great colours, like the crop too, I'd be happy with that myself (y)

Of the next shots, loving the PP of entrance, it stands out nice enough against the wall and greenery...

Horizontal - Really liking the first one with the slatted light on the couch and cushions :clap:

Sorry... I cant comment on all - I need to go to bed my eyes keep shutting :D

Thanks Dean, I realise it takes time to view the threads and comment as I have found out myself. It is appreciated, I need the CC
What's strange is the photo which was a quick shot no planning etc, spur of the moment is the most commented on. Makes me think :)

what a catch up Chris. (y)

Entrance is nicely framed. Rough weather works well, top idea. Horizontal #1 is fab. And Spikey #1 stands out well, not sure about the mono tho.

:)

Entrance, nice detail and well spotted.

I'd prefer a front on composition and maybe a little tighter.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, I'll revisit the entrance shot to see what it looks like with the door front on, I wanted to emphasize the left brick wall and low hedges but the right hand side hedge isn't very long hence the crop

what a catch up Chris. (y)

Entrance is nicely framed. Rough weather works well, top idea. Horizontal #1 is fab. And Spikey #1 stands out well, not sure about the mono tho.

:)

Hi David, the spikey plant was dead and the surrounding lacked much colour, felt hadn't much choice but convert to B&W.

Thanks both for your comments and taking the time to view. I am always looking for help and advice, it is gratefully appreciated Chris

Oops, yes I remember that ;)

Hi Chris, an impressive catchup - you have been busy... I'll comment where I think I can be helpful, rather than on every photo!

Colourful - great spot and you've captured it well. Compositionally it's probably not as alluring as the subject, but changing it might have brought technical challenges. To simplify it (which is usually a good thing), I might have been tempted to get really low down and shoot upwards with a wide angle getting it against just the blue/cloudy sky. The difficulty here would be exposure and lighting - you'd be shooting the dark side against a bright background. Depending on your camera, you might have been able to capture the full dynamic range, but if not I don't think blowing the sky would have been a disaster in order to capture the colour from the subject.

Abandoned - again, well spotted but once more composing the shot differently could have helped with the theme... getting a sense of abandonment by including more of the background? Usually getting closer and filling the frame works, but I'm not certain in this instance? However, you've got a really good eye for subject matter so that's the most important thing (y)

Danger - great colours and composition is absolutely spot on for me here! It's probably flickr but it looks very slightly soft. The other thing you could do to make a great shot even "greater" is to flip it horizontally :)

Vast - probably needs more "vastness"... if you don't have a wider angle, you can always try stitching a panorama. This would be a great theme to give that a go for... Also watch horizons getting too close to the centre of frame. In some instances it can work, but more often than not it leaves the viewer thinking, "hmmm"...

Horizontal - I really like this first one. It takes an idea and really twists it. I think you've done really well with this (y)

Keep it up - enjoying looking at your photos!

Oops, yes I remember that ;)

Hi Chris, an impressive catchup - you have been busy... I'll comment where I think I can be helpful, rather than on every photo!

Colourful - great spot and you've captured it well. Compositionally it's probably not as alluring as the subject, but changing it might have brought technical challenges. To simplify it (which is usually a good thing), I might have been tempted to get really low down and shoot upwards with a wide angle getting it against just the blue/cloudy sky. The difficulty here would be exposure and lighting - you'd be shooting the dark side against a bright background. Depending on your camera, you might have been able to capture the full dynamic range, but if not I don't think blowing the sky would have been a disaster in order to capture the colour from the subject.

Abandoned - again, well spotted but once more composing the shot differently could have helped with the theme... getting a sense of abandonment by including more of the background? Usually getting closer and filling the frame works, but I'm not certain in this instance? However, you've got a really good eye for subject matter so that's the most important thing (y)

Danger - great colours and composition is absolutely spot on for me here! It's probably flickr but it looks very slightly soft. The other thing you could do to make a great shot even "greater" is to flip it horizontally :)

Vast - probably needs more "vastness"... if you don't have a wider angle, you can always try stitching a panorama. This would be a great theme to give that a go for... Also watch horizons getting too close to the centre of frame. In some instances it can work, but more often than not it leaves the viewer thinking, "hmmm"...

Horizontal - I really like this first one. It takes an idea and really twists it. I think you've done really well with this (y)

Keep it up - enjoying looking at your photos!

Thanks for taking the time to look at my submissions and comment, really appreciated Paul.

Colourful - Agree but this was taken the other week in Cyprus. Had little time to spend where we were. Your suggestion though is interesting and I will think about this in future.

Danger - One of my favourites, just liked the colour

Vast - Agree, ill use my wide angle next time

Horizontal - One of those where um, thats interesting ill take a pic of that

Once again thanks for your suggestions

Chris

Last edited:
Oooo I want that owl !!!

I'd prefer him upright even if he actually wasn't, but a good spot considering how it blends in with the mass of twigs :)

Um think your right Dean, must admit walked past it a few times. Wait for the leaves to grow more and you won't even see it then

Artificial-4 by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Thanks for your suggestion ;)

Back