weekly Chrispp My 52's Challenge Weeks 33,34,35,& 36

Yeah, I'll have one of those. Nicely taken Chris - excellently themed.

Nice find, that owl. They should have distanced it from BG greenery. :)

Yep much prefer that !!! - I want it even ,ore now too... terwit-terwoo :D

I totally agree Dean, thanks for your help with this

o_O overtired :LOL:

it is much better straightened, nice spot for the theme

Thanks Allan, I must admit its high up a tree and i have walked past it loads of times and never noticed it !

I think you've captured that well, Chris. The straighter version works well but I can't say I would really have noticed it that much. Super capture (y)

Thanks Paul, appreciate your feedback

Yeah, I'll have one of those. Nicely taken Chris - excellently themed.

Thanks Carl

Nice find, that owl. They should have distanced it from BG greenery. :)

Hi David, it will be the angle I took the picture at, the branches are literally right behind it. I would like to get higher and take the shot downward
but would need a ladder and the nerve to climb it :)

Nicely chosen Chris. DK is spot on with his observation of the flower and sky. Excellent stuff.

Ahhhh nice one again !!!

Liking the strip of blue sky and the plant popping out of the joint, nice choice for the theme :)

Yup, I'm with DK, an interesting take on the theme with a couple of extra points of interest in the shot.

Nicely chosen Chris. DK is spot on with his observation of the flower and sky. Excellent stuff.

Thanks, Dean, Tim & Carl. I am trying my best with the 52 Challenge. But its really making me think in detail about each weekly task. Thanks again for commenting

Chris

Size - good subject, the paint brush really makes it, good lighting and nice details

Forgotten, TBH I'm struggling a bit, still onward and upwards

Hi Chris.
Size: I like the models - unusual; the composition with that brush helps define the scale nicely.
Forgotten: That is a lovely shot - excellent composition, good lighting and great detail.

Size - good subject, the paint brush really makes it, good lighting and nice details

Forgotten, TBH I'm struggling a bit, still onward and upwards

Thanks for your comments Chris, the 1/48" is another hobby of mine. Scale WW2 ships. The figures are all made in the Jewellry Quarter B'ham
each face is very detailed (waiting for this theme)

The forgotten theme was "Forgotten or Not" the milk that is. Thinking again I can see how it looks now. Still have time to find another though

Hi Chris.
Size: I like the models - unusual; the composition with that brush helps define the scale nicely.
Forgotten: That is a lovely shot - excellent composition, good lighting and great detail.

Thanks for your comments Carl, thinking about the forgotten I may have a rethink. The size was a spur of the moment pic today.
I was thinking of an archive shot from Dubai of the Burj Khalifa but I really want to push myself each week and try not to use old photos

......I really want to push myself each week and try not to use old photos
Absolutely the right thing Chris - I'm the same. I find TP52 quite challenging but that's because it's pushing me to be more thoughtful and creative. The themes each week give me incentive and motivation. :)

Size, unusual and original idea Chris :)

Forgotten, I think it works, old set of keys could easily be forgotten.

Hi Chris - Really like the figures for size, great sense of scale with that small paint brush, I like the surface they are on too as well as the tiny depth of field - Nice One (y)

Forgotten - My OCD picks up the wonky brick line, but real nice hooks and collection of old bits and bobs there, a good idea for the theme too :)

Good work Chris.

Personal ... very. Yes, the plant and that sky making a most pleasing image.

Size ... they're funny old figurines ... and the paint brush is a nice touch.

Forgotten ... yes it's wonky! Lovely red bricks, hooks and assorted bit. Perhaps what they did before the age of fridge magnets.

wow you have been busy since I last looked
the sand covering the path is a good one for the theme
I prefer the cropped version of your colourful shot
I like the sun shade that is being roughly treated by the wind
and the first of your horizontals. the owl is fun
I cannot condone the vandalism you inflicted on the bridge but its a good picture I like the little plant
and the paint brush with figures gives a great idea of size

Size, unusual and original idea Chris :)

Forgotten, I think it works, old set of keys could easily be forgotten.

Thanks, was thinking of a few different aspects with this one

Hi Chris - Really like the figures for size, great sense of scale with that small paint brush, I like the surface they are on too as well as the tiny depth of field - Nice One (y)

Forgotten - My OCD picks up the wonky brick line, but real nice hooks and collection of old bits and bobs there, a good idea for the theme too :)

Ah now Dean, I tried to straighten the bottom brick line, but the photo wasn't taken straight on. The figures are part of my other hobby 1:48th scale modelling

Really like your entrance and topical shots - both great subjects for b&w.

Thanks Em, I like B&W but think sometimes I can convert too much

Good work Chris.

Personal ... very. Yes, the plant and that sky making a most pleasing image.

Size ... they're funny old figurines ... and the paint brush is a nice touch.

Forgotten ... yes it's wonky! Lovely red bricks, hooks and assorted bit. Perhaps what they did before the age of fridge magnets.

Thanks David, the figures each have their own faces. They are about the size of a 50p

wow you have been busy since I last looked
the sand covering the path is a good one for the theme
I prefer the cropped version of your colourful shot
I like the sun shade that is being roughly treated by the wind
and the first of your horizontals. the owl is fun
I cannot condone the vandalism you inflicted on the bridge but its a good picture I like the little plant
and the paint brush with figures gives a great idea of size

Thanks, for your comments. Noted your view on the bridge it won't happen agin

Thanks again all for taking the time to comment, most appreciated Chris

Hi Chris

Personal is a good take - nice story behind it too. Some light coming sideways to really through some contrast into the carving would work well, too but good as it is.
Size - well managed and well captured with the shallow DOF. The background line frame left is a bit distracting but I like what you've done with this image in terms of composition etc.
Forgotten - smart thinking. I reckon a bit more of an angle using DOF to bring out the sign more would work, but well captured as is.

Hi Chris,
Size - Show incredible care and patience taken in the painting of the figures, far more than I ever achieve when painting my T gauge models.
Good use of DoF to focus the eye on the central model.
Forgotten - Nice sharp shot across the frame with some interesting objects.
Perhaps a little too central? Also I would have spent a few minutes with the transform & lens correction tools trying to remove the perspective effect. Either that, or in camera I would have tried to take the shot more straight on to avoid the perspective.

Hi Chris

Personal is a good take - nice story behind it too. Some light coming sideways to really through some contrast into the carving would work well, too but good as it is.
Size - well managed and well captured with the shallow DOF. The background line frame left is a bit distracting but I like what you've done with this image in terms of composition etc.
Forgotten - smart thinking. I reckon a bit more of an angle using DOF to bring out the sign more would work, but well captured as is.

Thanks Paul, appreciate the advice for the angle and DOF. Will definitly take that on board.

Hi Chris,
Size - Show incredible care and patience taken in the painting of the figures, far more than I ever achieve when painting my T gauge models.
Good use of DoF to focus the eye on the central model.
Forgotten - Nice sharp shot across the frame with some interesting objects.
Perhaps a little too central? Also I would have spent a few minutes with the transform & lens correction tools trying to remove the perspective effect. Either that, or in camera I would have tried to take the shot more straight on to avoid the perspective.

Thanks Tim, I have loads of 1/48" scale figures. Each has their own facial expressions. I am just waiting for the right theme.
Seems the general opinion on the forgotten is the angle, DOF etc. Good advice for the future

Thanks again both

Still trying to catch up, nearly there !

My take on Effort, well the effortless bubbles blowing in the air

Effort by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Saw the Father blowing bubbles for his daughter, she was transfixed. I am not 100% confident in taking pictures of the public so any help, advice really appreciated

Thanks

Chris

You are certainly going well, with the catch up, Chris (y)

And the expression on the little girls face is priceless :)

I think you have done a really good job with that, the focus and DoF are good, the bubbles stand out very well, the crop is good and the little girl's face is spot on. Well done indeed.

I think you have done a really good job with that, the focus and DoF are good, the bubbles stand out very well, the crop is good and the little girl's face is spot on. Well done indeed.

Do you think it suits the theme Chris ? I wanted to just get the bubbles to be honest but the little girls expressions were priceless !

Last edited:
It certainly fits the theme for me on two points the blowing of the bubbles and the girls expression, the bubbles really stand out too

Effort: I think that's great, Chris. As others have said, pin sharp where it needs to be and a super expression of childlike joy from the girl.

If it's any consolation, I really struggle with public pics as well... and personally I wouldn't take a shot of random kids for fear of being confronted (I'm a wuss like that). It's not that I think anyone shouldn't, but the way the world is today I just don't feel comfortable doing it. Well done to you for that (y) - you clearly have bigger cojones than me :)

In terms of tweaks (because the image is worth maximising IMO) a bit of radial fill (increasing exposure) on & around her face would work well - a stop or so and you could even brush it in with a soft brush, just to lighten her and make that great expression really pop. You have edit images on, so I've demonstrated what I was thinking, including a tweak to white balance to give it that summer glow (which might be a bit marmite, admittedly!) http://i.imgur.com/vUWPN1R.jpg

It certainly fits the theme for me on two points the blowing of the bubbles and the girls expression, the bubbles really stand out too

Thanks Allan, Originally I was only after the bubbles.

Effort: I think that's great, Chris. As others have said, pin sharp where it needs to be and a super expression of childlike joy from the girl.

If it's any consolation, I really struggle with public pics as well... and personally I wouldn't take a shot of random kids for fear of being confronted (I'm a wuss like that). It's not that I think anyone shouldn't, but the way the world is today I just don't feel comfortable doing it. Well done to you for that (y) - you clearly have bigger cojones than me :)

In terms of tweaks (because the image is worth maximising IMO) a bit of radial fill (increasing exposure) on & around her face would work well - a stop or so and you could even brush it in with a soft brush, just to lighten her and make that great expression really pop. You have edit images on, so I've demonstrated what I was thinking, including a tweak to white balance to give it that summer glow (which might be a bit marmite, admittedly!) http://i.imgur.com/vUWPN1R.jpg

Thanks Paul, I might have a little play with LR later and see what I can come up with.

That really is well done Chris - great capture of those bubbles and as previously said, the joy in that little girl's face is beautiful. :clap:

there's wow factor in them bubbles against that OOF BG. :clap:

That really is well done Chris - great capture of those bubbles and as previously said, the joy in that little girl's face is beautiful. :clap:

Thanks Carl, I am building my confidence taking photos outdoors. I used my new 70-200 I bought off the forum. Must admit the lens is far superior than my abilities. The results so far have been worth the expense

there's wow factor in them bubbles against that OOF BG. :clap:

Thanks David.

Appreciate all your positive comments

Chris

Week 23 Stone

Well pursuing my PS trials as well, stone statue of an angel with new sky. Not 100% happy with the size of the statue so will have another go at this. I am struggling with the sky, think I could make it more detailed ?
The statue is in the entrance to the public gardens in Bath, when I took the shot is was dark and grey.
Any help and advice with Photoshop will be really appreciated. This has taken me hours ! It would of been quicker for me to print the original and paint the sky by hand.
But its a learning process I need to go through

Stone by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Nearly caught up, just technology and camouflage to do. Struggling with some ideas for camouflage though

Original photo
Stone Original by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I like the idea of looking up at a stone angel in the sky, I can never be bothered with putting in a lot of effort in PS so well done for taking the time.

Back