weekly Chrispp My 52's Challenge Weeks 33,34,35,& 36

Hi Chris .....without your explanation I thought it was shot against the blue sky so it looks fine for me ....I don't have Photoshop but I think there's a quick way to do theses things, I just plod on the hard way :) I like the angle of the shot it works really well.

I like the figure and the detail you have caught but the sky you can tell has been added but I can't be of much help on how to improve as I have never done that kind of thing in photoshop sorry.

To me, it's only PS'd when I've been told it's PS'd. I thought it was just a clever metering job. The result is good, with more than enough detail in the sky. In fact you may want to defocus the sky a little.

I don't have PS either, but a freeby called Paint.Net that does layers, and I know selection can take hours.

This challenge has taught me to think photography and not shoppery. But don't let that put you off layers and stuff.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I like the idea of looking up at a stone angel in the sky, I can never be bothered with putting in a lot of effort in PS so well done for taking the time.

Hi Chris, I had so many plans for this weeks theme but got slightly carried away with the effort theme on catch up. I want to embrace as much as I can including my limited knowledge of Photoshop
and Lightroom. Purchased the monthly plan a few months ago and haven't really used either. Must admit I am enjoying all the aspects of the challenge. Thanks for taking the time to view and comment :)

Hi Chris .....without your explanation I thought it was shot against the blue sky so it looks fine for me ....I don't have Photoshop but I think there's a quick way to do theses things, I just plod on the hard way :) I like the angle of the shot it works really well.

Thanks Suzie, the more time I am spending taking photos keeps giving me ideas and I am constantly learning. Trying not to take photos straight on etc. Thanks for your time commenting :ty:

I like the figure and the detail you have caught but the sky you can tell has been added but I can't be of much help on how to improve as I have never done that kind of thing in photoshop sorry.

Thanks Allan

To me, it's only PS'd when I've been told it's PS'd. I thought it was just a clever metering job. The result is good, with more than enough detail in the sky. In fact you may want to defocus the sky a little.

I don't have PS either, but a freeby called Paint.Net that does layers, and I know selection can take hours.

This challenge has taught me to think photography and not shoppery. But don't let that put you off layers and stuff.

Hi David, I tend to agree with you regarding taking photos opposed to manipulation or cheating as my wife says. But must admit I have enjoyed trying my hand with Photoshop, although theres a long way to go both with my photography and processing skill. Really appreciate you taking the time to comment ;)

Nice piece of photo-chopping Chris, you can barely see the Join, I would have thought it was "as shot" had you not said and looked closer :)
Nice PoV on the angel too

I haven't got a clue about Photoshop, but would love to learn if I ever find time! The shot looks natural to me - as David said I was applauding your metering skills :) I really like the green in the statue against the blue of the sky so the shoppery was a good choice for me.

Thanks Emma, I am new to Photoshop. Had an original idea of turning a rose into a stone rose for this weeks theme but
I am a long way off that. I really liked the statue of the angel but the sky was really dull so I thought I would have another go with Photoshop. I am on the monthly Adobe cloud scheme which includes Lightroom and Photoshop and want to develop these skills as well. I have a book on PS which I am working through at the moment slow and painful

My photography skills are a long way off some others on the thread but I am learning by taking loads and loads of photos.
I am hoping by joining the 52 my skills in both will develop. I am already seeing improvements which is down to the 52 so bear with me I intend to be around for a long time.

Thanks for your kind comments

Chris

Hi Chris ...

I've just had a go in Paint.Net, and it took seconds not hours. Would be a different story if the angel was the same colour as the sky! but there is a clear enough contrast.

I used the Magic Wand tool ... click on the sky and it's selected, just two more clicks needed one each side of her neck. Run the Eraser over the whole thing and the sky is transparent. There are other tools/effects to bevel, blur or feather selection edges if required.

This can be saved as a .gif which will retain its transparency ... indicated by a chequered BG.

This layer can be placed on top of a nice sky.

I don't know how this translates to PS ways & means. I've not read any books on the subject ... just fiddle till I find the best way of doing jobs.

Last edited:
I don't know how this translates to PS ways & means
Yep thats pretty much how I would do it in Photo shop, David (y)

Hi Chris ...

I've just had a go in Paint.Net, and it took seconds not hours. Would be a different story if the angel was the same colour as the sky! but there is a clear enough contrast.

I used the Magic Wand tool ... click on the sky and it's selected, just two more clicks needed one each side of her neck. Run the Eraser over the whole thing and the sky is transparent. There are other tools/effects to bevel, blur or feather selection edges if required.

This can be saved as a .gif which will retain its transparency ... indicated by a chequered BG.

This layer can be placed on top of a nice sky.

I don't know how this translates to PS ways & means. I've not read any books on the subject ... just fiddle till I find the best way of doing jobs.

Mine took ages as I never used Photoshop before, most of the time was me clicking on all the tools seeing what they done.
Next time I think it would take around 10 mins. All good for the learning curve. Ill try Paint.Net thanks for the comment David

Yep thats pretty much how I would do it in Photo shop, David (y)
Are you some kind of Photoshop guru as well Chris ? Are there no ends to your talents :LOL:

Looks good to me too Chris. Was going to post PS advice but see that Chris has already given some very useful suggestions for that. There are different methods to achieve the result you want but the final image does look good to me. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Carl, I didn't think it was too bad for a first time effort. Really want to get better with both my photography and processing

Plain and simple Chris (y)
Things don't always have to be complicated :)

Love it, Chris. Very simple but very well done. Gorgeous, vibrant colour and perfect DoF used. Very well done.

Nice idea, I don't think that cropping the point of the leaf is a good idea though

Good idea, well captured, love the vibrancy and the water drops are very well handled but I do agree with Allan that including the tip of the leaf would be good

Plain and simple Chris (y)
Things don't always have to be complicated :)

Thanks, only a couple to do until I catch up ! Camouflage and technology

Love it, Chris. Very simple but very well done. Gorgeous, vibrant colour and perfect DoF used. Very well done.

Thanks Ian, bit rushed though need to re crop

Nice idea, I don't think that cropping the point of the leaf is a good idea though

Didn't spot that Allan, I am going to recrop this and submit. You are totally right. Thanks Chris

Good idea, well captured, love the vibrancy and the water drops are very well handled but I do agree with Allan that including the tip of the leaf would be good

Chris, as above totally agree and will recrop. Thanks for commenting Chris

effort - I like the sharpness of the bubbles and the oof background
Stone - interesting textures on the statue.
Simple - great shot it certainly looks simple I do like the closer crops better

Simple is a simple ia :)

Wonderful rich greens. Might work well in a square crop with the leaf in the centre.

Thanks Andy, appreciate your comments. I am going to record this again just to see ;)

Cheers.

I love raindrops ....a perfect choice for the theme Chris.

Thanks Susie, I was struggling with the rain this weekend. Must admit green is one of my favourite colours

Hi Chris. A lovely simple shot for the theme , nice reflection off the droplet and vibrant colour. Well taken.

Effort - Great shot, Excellent capture of the expression on her face and the bubbles really pop out of the picture :clap:

Stone - I, too, wouldn't have thought it was a PS job without your comment (oddly my forgotten shot had a new sky added which no one seemed to have noticed(and there is a fairly obvious give away in mine too)) on close inspection the only issue I can perhaps see is with the edge of the wing to the camera right of her neck. I think the clouds are suitably blurred to not give it away. (y)

Simple - Simple4 for me, the wider crop does improve it. It's a very simple but effective shot.

Last edited:
Stone - I like the POV which suits the subject well. All put together well and although it's not necessarily a wall-hanger, it's a technically sound shot. Perhaps moving it off centre a touch and giving her more negative space might help? PS has been done very well - good job!

Simple - super image. Great light, DOF and the simple colour tone works so well. Super vibrant image really works here... a top shot :clap:

Hi Chris. A lovely simple shot for the theme , nice reflection off the droplet and vibrant colour. Well taken.

Thanks Carl, rubbish weather but didn't want that to stop me !

Top shot, glorious green, liking your edit. (y)

Thanks David, I am still a little unsure of the crop though, I might just try a few variants

Effort - Great shot, Excellent capture of the expression on her face and the bubbles really pop out of the picture :clap:

Stone - I, too, wouldn't have thought it was a PS job without your comment (oddly my forgotten shot had a new sky added which no one seemed to have noticed(and there is a fairly obvious give away in mine too)) on close inspection the only issue I can perhaps see is with the edge of the wing to the camera right of her neck. I think the clouds are suitably blurred to not give it away. (y)

Simple - Simple4 for me, the wider crop does improve it. It's a very simple but effective shot.

Thanks for your comments Tim, must admit I do like the bubbles. Quite surprised myself on that one ;)

Stone - I like the POV which suits the subject well. All put together well and although it's not necessarily a wall-hanger, it's a technically sound shot. Perhaps moving it off centre a touch and giving her more negative space might help? PS has been done very well - good job!

Simple - super image. Great light, DOF and the simple colour tone works so well. Super vibrant image really works here... a top shot :clap:

Thanks Paul, appreciate your comments :)

Simple is simply fab :clap::clap::clap:

Lovely vibrant green, great dof and interesting reflections. 10/10

Thanks, what was a wet day turned out into something at least. Appreciate your comments

Thanks all very much for your time to view and comment, most appreciated Chris

Last edited:
Crop looks fine to me too Chris. I like the decay in the backboard as well as the poster itself. Well spotted.

Great find on "sign" Chris.
I wouldn't alter the crop either, it all works nicely :)

Hi Chris

I too think a different crop could work well. Simply because I don't feel the surroundings add anything to the image, so I'd always be tempted to get in closer. The texture under that peeling sign is great and getting right into that and a triangle of sign itself would be interesting.

Great spot though!

Nice find! Great dilapidated feel. Crops fine but ... I guess a little more wall RHS and perhaps a smidge less LHS might add. (?)

Back