weekly CJ's 2012 52 week challenge

Name
CJ
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to try and do it as straight as I can and to catch up if work is too much some weeks - which I expect will be the case at times but I want to avoid using older pictures as I see the point of the project for myself to be a challenge and to get me out shooting so I'll do my best.

Sorry in advance if many of the pictures are of the kids - they are my main subjects but I will try to mix it up.

I struggle personally with the conceptual aspect and have been much more of a candid or set-up shooter of the kids so there isn't much of a concept involved so I expect this to be my biggest struggle - be as harsh as you wish on the photography but please be kind on the concept! I hope to get better in the next year so we'll see what happens. Thanks to anyone who stops by!

Last edited:
So here is the first picture, I tried to avoid a picture of a crossroads or similar. I did all pictures on my own and the them is meant to be a "what direction to go in tonight?" I'm not overjoyed with the outcome so may try one or two other ideas if I get the chance but tonight was a night for putting off the other things and I don't want to get behind before I've even started!

Week1:DIrection by CJ Evans, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, CJ

Just shifted it to the right area for you CJ (y)

Best of luck and this looks like a really good start. I think it's a great concept and you've executed the PP brilliantly. I think perhaps it would work better if you arranged the outer images into more of a circle than 2 straight lines though.

p.s. Don't be disheartened if you don't get a lot of feedback right away.
If previous years are anything to go by, a lot of people won't look at others' posts until they've got their own images shot and posted to make sure that they don't get influenced by them.

Yum yum yum Havana Club. Thats the direction I would go in.

Its different and thats what I am looking forward to about this challenge. The many different takes on the themes that will appear.

Thanks for the replies and moving to the right place, thought I had done it right but I guess not. I must try to get I others images and comment more, I tend to look and say nothing so I think my biggest challenge is to be a greater contributor. The rum really goes with everything but baseball so thought it worked as my 'arrow' plus it allowed me to avoid arrows in photoshop. Think I may have another from today, I guess with no rules I can do a reshoot if I wish!
BTW agree with the circle but the shape of the papers and backgammon board messed me up a bit, I should have shot a greater variety to use-good learning point on week one!

I like the concept as well - looked at the photo before reading what you had written and understood pretty much what you were 'saying'. I agree with Sarah that a circle may be a really interesting alternative to give the 'flow' around the circular spin of the bottle, if you see what I mean!

Best of luck for your 52! :)

Wow - that's an amazing start! Never even considered putting something like this together - Congratulations.
H/Club & Backgammon - what's not to like?

Good luck for week 2 - Graeme.

Hi CJ....

Crikey...thats a wicked way to start your project :eek: Like your thoughts behind the montage , nicely put together....I wouldn't have a clue how to go about this....well done :clap:
(My OCD is kicking in...the bottles are a little off centre & you've just clipped a teeny bit off the bottom of the game controllers )

Still a great start...keep it up (y)

A great start indeed CJ and a very different take on the theme, really liking the thinking behind this.

Good luck for the other 51 :)

Ha, very good everyone's fear, the computer malfunction :eek:

Catching up on your week 1.

Direction - great play on the theme and use of your imagination
Fear - Again well thought out. Anyone with a PC, Mac, etc. dreads these sort of messages.

Just catching up on some posts

Week 1: Now that is a really good idea and well executed

Week 2: Like that one too its one we all fear, maybe I should do that with my Flickr account as I cant access it

Thanks for the feedback everyone, now if only I was as on top of my real work as I am on my 52! Trying to get around and make a comment when I get the chance on others as I can so please don't think it personal if I haven't got you yet but I know it's nice if someone even just says they have stopped by so much appreciated from you all, CJ

Direction, being a complete PP numpty can only sit in awe of that one, i wouldn't know where to start putting it together, its been said, a little too square for me, Fear good take on the theme, but as a photo doesn't do a great deal for me

Direction : I like it, well done and put together... I do agree with Sarah though, that arranging them in a circle would look better.

Fear : Made me smile and wince at the same time... a great idea and fits the theme. I'm afraid that as an image, it's nothing more than a shot of an error message...

Feedback much appreciated, on reflection I got too caught in the idea of the concept being good that I didn't put enough into the execution of the image, I have had lots of thoughts to do on sigh but simply not managed to do one. So that said the wife was in a bit of a mood today and I thought she totally fit the theme so grabbed the camera quickly, kids were about so there was no chance to formally pose and she got the giggles so the expression I was after wasn't quite there but I think it's still ok. I also ended up getting a few cute pictures of the kids at the same time so as a push to get me taking more pictures the 52 project is doing me good, and I guess it's good to think through the pictures I could take even if I don't.

Anyway, here is Week 3: Sigh, be nice about the model, it is the wife and not overly intended to be a flattering picture

Week 3: Sigh by CJ Evans, on Flickr

Thanks for stopping by, now I've got mine up I will try to get around to a few others, even though I've seen people have already got this week's up!

I'm not getting sigh from that, but like the shot. Possibly slightly wider crop would work, but I'm not sure. Love the B&W :)

Really great mono tones but agree 'sigh' is not coming through. Iy really is a good photograph though (y)

I do get sight from that, and i think the tight crop really works well, in a nice portrait

Gonna have to agree with Mark... Good shot, B&W works great... but doesn't really say sigh

Judo dropping in here for the first time.

Direction is very clever.

Your fear is more my frustration, computers do the most annoying things at the most annoying times!

On 'sigh' I'm not quite getting it, but it's such a difficult theme to catch on camera. It also looks a little soft.

Thanks for everyone who has stopped by, finally got around to sweet, my wife is doing a lot of cakes as she sets up her little home business and it was the first birthday of my little boy so I stole a character from one of the cakes and tried to set up a picture of him with a cupcake so here you go!

sweet by CJ Evans, on Flickr

Hi,

Another thread that i have missed, my fav is week 1, but great photos all round mate.

Matt

Back