Monthly Cowboys 12 Bokeh 2 added

Hi Mark, yes, the first one for me too; it works really really well, and I like the interesting solitary rock my eye is lead to :)

The second one has such a strong geometrical subject that I think the line is lost, especially as it takes your eye left, which then has to go right for the subject.

Hi Mark,

The first of the two has a stronger Leading Lines theme. I like the composition placing the main subject at the thirds and also the ∑ shape of the path leading to the main subject.

I think the main subject of the second shot is over powering the leading lines (path) but a very nice image never the less.

Hi Mark, I prefer your umbrella one. I don't think the B&W really works on the car shot, so it looks a little like the technique for the technique's sake, but the umbrella works a treat. Nice shot :)

Last edited:
Hi Mark, I prefer your umbrella one. I don't think the B&W really works on the car shot, so it looks a little like the technique for the technique's sake, but the umbrella works a treat. Nice shot :)

Cheers.
As soon as saw the red umbrella on the beach I knew this was the shot I wanted.

Agree with Mark about the beach shot is the better of the two for this theme. I may even straighten up the horizon, cloned out the object in bottom edge and the dog too to make the a minimalistic image.

Thanks.
Dog?
It's a photographer :LOL:

I think that works Mark. I like the composition and the dynamic range a lot. As Stan said some grain would enhance the 50s/60s feel.

I think your umbrella selective colour works well, the b&w is interesting I think it works but cant pin down why

i know it's a bit late and if I had more time I probably could have made a better photograph, but this was a bit of fun with my two youngest.

Hold up by cowboy72, on Flickr

The one in the air was stood on a log we found on the beach, the other one held the stick in the right position while we took the log away and I had already taken a background shot.

More fun than technique.

Hi Mark.

Your motion blur shot is perfect, and a classic use of the technique. Can't fault it :)

Levitation is fun as you say, and works very very well. Technically it's a slight shame you've cut the top of his head off, and there's a tiny gap between the stick and his feet (though you have to look carefully to see it!), but neither really spoils it :)

Thanks.

I'll probably have another go at this as I did enjoy it and I think that's the really good thing about this challenge is trying new things.

Another go as I don't think that set really works.

Evolution
From film SLR (I couldn't find my old 110 film camera) through point and shoot, bridge onto DSLR, I have included an I Phone as I took most of this set on it.

The bridge camera shot (right in the first frame) is the only one that doesn't seem right but it was one of the Instagram filters so I let it stay.

Evolution pt 1 by cowboy72, on Flickr

Evolution pt 2 by cowboy72, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

I think your 2nd set works much better than your first attempt. The first is a nice sequence in its own right but didnt hit the lomo theme

Hi Mark, I really like your second set, a lot! I think it's very clever.

Your first set is good, but I'm not seeing much of a story I'm afraid. I think the treatment is fine though as it didn't have to be lomo; retro was also an option.

Last edited:
I think your 2nd set works much better than your first attempt. The first is a nice sequence in its own right but didnt hit the lomo theme

Thanks.

Hi Mark, I really like your second set, a lot! I think it's very clever.

Your first set is good, but I'm not seeing much of a story I'm afraid. I think the treatment is fine though as it didn't have to be lomo; retro was also an option.

Thanks.

The first didn't really do much for me either, at the time I was taking them I had an idea of where they would go in my head but it didn't seem to work as well as I imagined.

The second set is an idea I've had for a while, just waiting for the chance to use it :)

I do like what you have done for the camera one, it's a sort of storyline in my head.

The first one as others have said, while I like the photos, they don't really tell a story as such

I actually like both, the first for the Retro Style processing although the set didn't quiet tell a story.

The second for the idea but would really like an even older model, pre-50's

Thanks.

I can't find my box brownie :)

I do like what you have done for the camera one, it's a sort of storyline in my head.

The first one as others have said, while I like the photos, they don't really tell a story as such

Thanks.

Bloomin' 'Eck, I have this habit of commenting. And forgetting to press send :D

Set1 works well it's #2 for me. Well processed and composed.

No Box Brownie :D

Cheers

Hi Mark. I like your from the hip shot a lot. I think it captures a mood really nicely :)

The joiner effect is also really good. The slightly different colour tones and the cloud movement make it for me. It'd be a great shot even without the effect, but is nicer still like this :)

Hi Mark. I like your from the hip shot a lot. I think it captures a mood really nicely :)

The joiner effect is also really good. The slightly different colour tones and the cloud movement make it for me. It'd be a great shot even without the effect, but is nicer still like this :)

Thanks.

I was a bit stuck until I saw Stans version and knew what I wanted then, I just needed the light.

Hi Mark, your SP is stunningly sharp, which isn't easy on a close range SP! Great work.

Reflection is a lovely shot. Nice and natural, and with good context. Like it a lot :)

Back