Monthly Cowboys 12 Bokeh 2 added

cowboy

Guy Fawkes
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I've been struggling a bit with this, I know what I want but the weather isn't playing.

For starters

Physiogram

It took a few goes to get the exposure somewhere near

4 by cowboy72, on Flickr

A nice swirly one

3 by cowboy72, on Flickr

My favorite

2 by cowboy72, on Flickr

Night lights

The view along the river

tees by cowboy72, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Mark. I like your second and third physiograms a best; I love the shape and colour of number two, and the minimalist style, and spider like look, of number three.

The night lights shot is great too; lovely lines, star bursts, reflections and dead space. The only thing I find a tiny bit distracting is the blue line in it.

Like the night lights shot. The curving red lines are very pleasing. Like Mark, I find the blue a bit distracting tho, but not your fault.

Not tried the Physiograms yet thats on my list to do. Out of the 3 I prefer the 3rd one I think it just looks cleaner and a bit more planned than the other 2 if that makes any sense.

I do like the night lights and as for the Blue well it is what it is and although it does catch your eye there's enough in the shot for it not to be distracting.

Very cool! I'm not really sure what to say about the actual image, not sure the lampshade headwear will catch on :LOL:. Are any of those pictures on the wall your own?

Nice one Mark, I'm looking forward to trying this myself,I've got an idea just need to get a day when the family is out.

Thanks, it's hard to get the pictures of yourself without overlapping. I must've posed about 10 times to get it something like.

Very cool! I'm not really sure what to say about the actual image, not sure the lampshade headwear will catch on :LOL:. Are any of those pictures on the wall your own?

I keep having lampshade headwear :LOL:

I have a canvas and two A3 prints of the dogs on the wall.

nice pic m8,,, i think i'm going to need to learn PS quick :)

Well done on the multiplicity shot, a brave choice to start with!

I have a few ideas for this theme but no idea how to achieve it so yet more time on YouTube and google for me!!!

Like it Mark :) The lampshade's a little odd, but other than that it works very well.

Thanks.

Bubble
I tried adding a colour but it just sat in the dish and didn't mix into the bubble as I'd hoped.

Bubble by cowboy72, on Flickr

Water droplets/Splash
I found this a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Just drop a bit of water into a bowl and photograph the splash, how hard could it be? :D:D

Crown by cowboy72, on Flickr

I'm aware the focus is off a bit, I tried to focus where I thought the water would be.

Double by cowboy72, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Hopefully there will be more to come.

Contre Jour:shrug:

I don't really know if this fits the contre jour.

Contre jour by cowboy72, on Flickr

I was trying to get a similar photo to the ones I've seen on Flickr but perhaps I've been barking up the wrong end of the stick :LOL:

The bubble on a plate is a good idea. Maybe try with a plain plate or with the pattern but from directly overhead.

Your water drops look a bit messy and not quite in focus although you have got a good crown there. There is a good tutorial on this site for these.

Your on the right track for the contre jour you just needed to take the shot straight down the middle!

Hi Mark, I can't add anything to what Michael said, I think he's spot on with his comments.

Cheers Stan.

For the bubble I put some washing up liquid in with the water and blew gently through a straw.

Hi Mark.

Your mini planet is nice and industrial looking, like some kind of droid ship! It's a slight shame you can see the join so clearly at the top, but it's a good shot none-the-less.

Droste is very good too; can't fault it!

I've tried with the Harris shutter and the tilt shift but for some reason I just can't get them to work, I've followed written instructions and videos on youtube all to no good.

Really like the Droste nice and simple but very effective.

Thanks.

Hi Mark.

Your mini planet is nice and industrial looking, like some kind of droid ship! It's a slight shame you can see the join so clearly at the top, but it's a good shot none-the-less.

Droste is very good too; can't fault it!

Thanks, I've done a few of the mini planet things and they all have a visible join. It's one of them things I'll have to keep practicing with.

I posted a link in my thread to the tutorial I used for the Harris shutter effect (in Elements 11), which gives pretty good results.

Mark I think your last tilt shift needs to have the effect applied a lot more aggressively to work really well. Hope you don't mind, but I had a quick go at it:

Camera Roll-104 by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

An interesting Duotones shot, Mark. I like the composition, the balanced exposure with the highlight and the subject itself. I presumed it's some kind of plant?

Another interesting composition for the Shallow DOF shot too with the subject at a slight angle. What happened to the rest of the colours? Don't tell me you ate them all! :LOL:

Thanks.

The plant is a teasel, I was trying for a bit of a lead in line on the Shallow DOF.

Ermm, someone ate the rest of them, don't know who though :shrug:

:LOL::LOL:

I really like your teasel shot. The composition is great, and the exposure works very very well. Great work!

I also like your shallow DoF photo. It's very well executed, and again your composition is very good. I might have been tempted to have the in focus sweet in the middle of the row instead, so there was blur in front and behind it, but your way might actually be a little more original.

Hi, Mark, another one I've missed :bonk:

I like the simplicity if your physiogram #3.

Nightlights is a decent one. Nice detail and well handled WB. The red and blue work well together.

Multiplicity, good first effort. Similar to mine, which I thought was a bit lazy. Different clothes and socks :D, different/animated poses would have added gto this one IMO.

Bubble, sheesh, that is one hell of a bubble. Cracking reflections...some colour would have taken it up a few levels.

Water drops, not easy. I've never really managed to get uber sharp ones. Decent effort. Again some colour would help.

Contre jour, on theme, but a better subject maybe :thinking:

Mini planet, another industrial take (y) Works well, nice detail and pretty well exposed. Bit brighter, maybe and the joint at the top is a bit of an issue.

Droste effect...I didn't do this. Good effort.

I like your panorama, it you converted to B&W it would have a real moon surface feel to it.

Tilt shift, on theme and good detail. Closer crop would improve IMO. Mark's edit does focus the eye more on the subject.

Duotone, now this I like. Good detail and the tone really emphasises the subject :clap:

Shallow DOF. Good technical effort here.

Cheers and don't be dropping out now.....there's only a few of us as it is :bat: :D

Leading lines

When I saw this path leading to the rock I thought of this challenge, I don't know if either of these have a strong enough subject to carry it off though.

Lines by cowboy72, on Flickr

Monument by cowboy72, on Flickr

The second one, I feel has a couple of leads, the horizon from the right and maybe the path with the line of people on it.

Last edited:
Back