weekly Daniel_Paul's 2018 52'er - Week Twelve Juxtaposition ADDED

Intersting and slightly abstract take in the first which I quite like as a photo but I think #2 and #3 may be more obviously fit the theme.

I like these (y)

Perhaps not best for the theme but the last one posted (03) is the one for me.

Last edited:
Nice set of images for for Over not 100% sure about the first one but No 2 and 3 are great No 3 being my favorite

For me on the 1st image it is not clear what is going on, I know its a car going over a level crossing, but the light trail is very short and the image is dark, however I do like the focus the darkness gives to the light part.

I feel the 2nd fits the over theme more with the lights crosing over but it's for me spoiled by shooting through the wirelink fence part of the bridge.
The 3rd image is more colourful with the blue light.

Just my 2ps worth.
Pete

Over

It works well and fits the theme.

Cheers Dominic!

Intersting and slightly abstract take in the first which I quite like as a photo but I think #2 and #3 may be more obviously fit the theme.

Thanks Chris

I like these (y)

Perhaps not best for the theme but the last one posted (03) is the one for me.

I think the last two struggle more for the theme purely because you can't see where the 'Over' is maybe.

Nice set of images for for Over not 100% sure about the first one but No 2 and 3 are great No 3 being my favorite

Thanks Mark!

For me on the 1st image it is not clear what is going on, I know its a car going over a level crossing, but the light trail is very short and the image is dark, however I do like the focus the darkness gives to the light part.

I feel the 2nd fits the over theme more with the lights crosing over but it's for me spoiled by shooting through the wirelink fence part of the bridge.
The 3rd image is more colourful with the blue light.

Just my 2ps worth.
Pete

Thanks Pete, I think in my mind the last two would work better for the theme however I think I struggled to capture where the 'over' was coming from which potentially takes away from the theme, shooting through the wire also didn't have the desired effect I thought it might!

Of the bunch, I prefer the one you chose, #1.
There was obviously sufficient lighting to illuminate the cross given the exposure and yest allow the light trail to happen.
I also like that there are strong blacks for the background.
(y)

the light trails in 2 and 3 are better I do like 1 though and it is better for the theme

People - I agree with @Downton Mini the first image has the edge, good choice for the theme.

Stark - good choice of images for the theme, and for me my favourite image is the mono seascape.

Over - Sadly the first image doesn't really work for me. I like the close crop of the second image, but feel it would look better without the fencing in the way, but I get that there's not much you can do about that sadly. So it has to be the third image for me as there is a little less of the fence in the way, onwards and upwards to the next theme.

My favourite is #1, it's different from the usual light trail photos, I like that!

Of the bunch, I prefer the one you chose, #1.
There was obviously sufficient lighting to illuminate the cross given the exposure and yest allow the light trail to happen.
I also like that there are strong blacks for the background.
(y)

Thanks Tim!

the light trails in 2 and 3 are better I do like 1 though and it is better for the theme

Thank you :D

#2 for me, nice colour in the trails, #1 needed a slightly longer exposure for a better light stream.

Yeah I should have stayed and got a longer one to see what the difference would be....next time ;)

Number one is the best Daniel. Good choice for the theme. That puddle (?) in the foreground really brings it to life.:)

Yeah it's a puddle, some of them were lost in the blacks but I wasn't too unhappy about that as it made the scene a bit cluttered. Thank you!

I like the first over pic, the motion blur gives it a nice, slightly abstract, feel :)

Cheers!

People - I agree with @Downton Mini the first image has the edge, good choice for the theme.

Stark - good choice of images for the theme, and for me my favourite image is the mono seascape.

Over - Sadly the first image doesn't really work for me. I like the close crop of the second image, but feel it would look better without the fencing in the way, but I get that there's not much you can do about that sadly. So it has to be the third image for me as there is a little less of the fence in the way, onwards and upwards to the next theme.

Thanks for the feedback Mandy!

My favourite is #1, it's different from the usual light trail photos, I like that!

Cheers Bernd!

Over is a good shot, like the blur of the car going over the tracks, good night shot too.

Thanks Dave!

Your People images are original and work well in B&W, and I really like the way the street art is the first thing that draws the eye before moving on to the people who balance things perfectly. The first works slightly better for me, for all the reasons already stated.

You've produced a great set of ideas for Stark and I'm torn between #2 - as the B&W works well for the contrast between the sea and the sharp angles of the wreck - and #3, which also works very well in B&W and probably just sneaks it for me, but they're both excellent.

Finally, Over and the theme is implied successfully in all three images, possibly most effectively in #1 as you can see the setting of the road crossing and the blurred headlights as they pass through, but purely from a photographic point of view I would pick #3 for the colours and details (y)

Your People images are original and work well in B&W, and I really like the way the street art is the first thing that draws the eye before moving on to the people who balance things perfectly. The first works slightly better for me, for all the reasons already stated.

You've produced a great set of ideas for Stark and I'm torn between #2 - as the B&W works well for the contrast between the sea and the sharp angles of the wreck - and #3, which also works very well in B&W and probably just sneaks it for me, but they're both excellent.

Finally, Over and the theme is implied successfully in all three images, possibly most effectively in #1 as you can see the setting of the road crossing and the blurred headlights as they pass through, but purely from a photographic point of view I would pick #3 for the colours and details (y)

Thank you Andrea, glad you liked them! I gear this week will be a different story altogether!!

Great Ageing set of shots Sir, all work well for the theme, with the first two being my fav’s.(y)

George.

The barrels work well but personally I'd clone out the blue sign, I think the second just edges it but I do quite like the first

I find the last 2 Images very soft.
Good take on Theme.

Pete

Cheers Pete

My first thought was Scotch when aged came up but I like the idea of the barrels best out of the set. Especially the second one with the tighter frame and the Cider in focus.

I know, I was hoping to find some proper wood barrels but I could only see the metal ones unfortunately, I did toy with the idea of finding a local brewery and asking them if I could take some shots but chickened out! Thanks for the feedback!

Great Ageing set of shots Sir, all work well for the theme, with the first two being my fav’s.(y)

George.

Thanks George!

The second one for me Daniel a different take on the theme.

I also really like the first one of the tree trunk

I like your Cider keg shot as the focus on the nearest barrel works better and makes the BG more OOF. (y)

Week Six - Sharp

I found this week quite tough actually, to begin with I thought it would be quite an easy one but I wanted to stretch myself and do something I hadn't done before but the image I will be posting is one I took whilst out on a walk with my wife and she actually pointed it out to me!

Sharp Sword by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

The image itself is very sharp, and maybe the 'sword' is sharp too - can I ask what the statue is of Daniel?

ps... some lovely sunsets on that video. Gorgeous starbursts, and as for nailing that rainbow - top job!

Good take for sharp :)

Thanks Dave!

The image itself is very sharp, and maybe the 'sword' is sharp too - can I ask what the statue is of Daniel?

ps... some lovely sunsets on that video. Gorgeous starbursts, and as for nailing that rainbow - top job!

Yeah it was a bit of a tongue in cheek one for this week as it represents something that should be 'Sharp'! It's a community art project by all accounts by a Chainsaw Scultpure artist, it's meant to represent the history of the area I think.

Thank you, it was hit and miss as to whether there would be a good sky or not and when I saw the beach it was such a massive rush to get the camera out so I'm gutted I didn't get to film a bit more of it....next time!

Like it, nice subject. Nice sunsets on the video too.

Nice light on the sculpture making it stand out well against the background and good details, I like the tongue in cheek take on the theme

I like it, atmospheric (y) ... But, a bit tight at the bottom

Yeah you're right it is, I need to take more time when composing!

Like it, nice subject. Nice sunsets on the video too.

Thanks Martin!

Nice light on the sculpture making it stand out well against the background and good details, I like the tongue in cheek take on the theme

Cheers Chris

Nice find for Sharp as Chris says the lighting really makes the subject stand out.

Thanks Mark!

I like the atmosphere of the photo, but as mentioned above it's a bit tightly cropped at the bottom. And how sharp can a wooden sword really be :)

It’s You! You got picked on my comment rota.
Week 5 - The second one of the barrels is better for me. Changing the view point a smidgen would have got rid of the edge of the blue sign (better than cropping)
Week 6 - The dark background cutting the sword does not work well for me - taking a lower view point and getting all the sword (at least) against the sky might have been better.

Back