weekly Delta Skies 2015 TP52 - Week 17 Heat

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I wasn't really expecting to be back but in for a penny and all that. :banana: It might have had something to do with saying to Sarah "if you do it, so will I" :p.

My intention this year is to concentrate on submitting images to national and international photographic salons but doing the 52 again this year will ensure I am producing enough images to hopefully get a few contenders in there to submit along the way.

To those who have come on a 52 journey with me before in 2012 & 2014 then hi. For those "newbies" then hi. Hopefully we'll all get to week 52 with a smile and plenty of good images.

Week 0 - Pattern
Week 1 - Bliss
Week 2 - Fragile
Week 3 - Scenic
Week 4 - Companions
Week 5 - Elegant
Week 6 - Watery
Week 7 - Bold
Week 8 - Relax
Week 9 - Vertical
Week 10 - Mouth
Week 11 - Crowd
Week 12 - Close Up
Week 13 - Reshoot (Watery)
Week 13 - Machine
Week 14 - Alphabet
Week 15 - Sound
Week 16 - Experiment
Week 17 - Heat

Last edited:
Week 0 - Pattern

Pattern by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Here's my "practice" shot. Lit with a single LED bank and surrounded with black card to stop unwanted reflections - including stuffing the grater with my black socks to get black in the holes. I shot it tethered using Lightroom and tried 5.6 through to 16 but opted for the shallow DOF as it's something I just like. It was a close call as the original was very monotone but I converted into mono to give it an extra edge.

Hi, and welcome back Peter. I assume at some point you will be modelling for Sarah :naughty:

Nice idea regarding go black sock. I must use LR tether feature more because when I last used it, I found it invaluable.

Pattern, nice shallow DOF and it has a very industrial feel to it. I think you could have got in even closer, had you wanted, but it works well as it it.

Good use of an everyday object.

Have you seen the Leeds meet thread??

Cheers.

I know its a cheese grater but I'm sure its not for cheesey socks ;)

Interesting pattern and I like the dof on this pattern. He light has given it a nice shine too.

Hi, and welcome back Peter. I assume at some point you will be modelling for Sarah :naughty:

Cheers.

I tried to persuade him tonight Andy but he refused to get his legs waxed for the bath shot I wanted to take! :(:)

Thank you Peter of keeping me company this year I just hope I complete it this year!
Pattern - a good idea and you controlled the lighting and reflections well! (I hope you used clean socks)

I look forward to seeing your Bliss pic!!

Hi Peter , great to have to back for another year......you always produce some fantastic images (y)

& I have to ask......submitting images to national and international photographic salons ....????

As for the image.....well focused , well exposed...everything in fact that I'd expect from you.....top start mister :clap:

I really like this. The great pattern and super sharp with a narrow DoF really works in mono. Lovely bokeh on the rest of the grater too (y)

Great photo, love the shallow depth of field and the mono conversion.

Good start :)

It's nice of you to include your set up ideas and thoughts along with the photograph.

Superb shot. Thanks for sharing the set up.

Good to see you're back Peter

Interesting stuff about the black socks & card (... food for thought)

But ....... hmmmmmmmmmm

That's a grate pattern you have there Peter.
Welcome aboard..
Thanks Kev

Nice idea regarding go black sock. I must use LR tether feature more because when I last used it, I found it invaluable.

Pattern, nice shallow DOF and it has a very industrial feel to it. I think you could have got in even closer, had you wanted, but it works well as it it.

Good use of an everyday object.

Have you seen the Leeds meet thread??

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Tethering is the way to go. Unfortunately Live View is lost both on camera and in Lightroom but you get to see the results in full screen so much quicker. Give it a go you may not want to use anything else. I'm keeping an eye on that thread but not sure we can make it yet.

I know its a cheese grater but I'm sure its not for cheesey socks ;)

Interesting pattern and I like the dof on this pattern. He light has given it a nice shine too.
Thanks Mike

Hi Peter and welcome back, off to a great start with your practice theme.
Thanks Mandy

I tried to persuade him tonight Andy but he refused to get his legs waxed for the bath shot I wanted to take! :(:)

Thank you Peter of keeping me company this year I just hope I complete it this year!
Pattern - a good idea and you controlled the lighting and reflections well! (I hope you used clean socks)

I look forward to seeing your Bliss pic!!
Thanks Sarah. Clean socks? Well they were clean when I put them on my feet in the morning!

Hi Peter , great to have to back for another year......you always produce some fantastic images (y)

& I have to ask......submitting images to national and international photographic salons ....????

As for the image.....well focused , well exposed...everything in fact that I'd expect from you.....top start mister :clap:
Thanks Lynne. The Salons are effectively exhibitions/competitions which you can submit (for a small charge) your images in to. For some of them points mean prizes (or at least letters after your name) if you get acceptances. See here for an example of some of these salons. Sarah & I both had an acceptance each in the recent Yorkshire International Salon. Mine was the trumpet photo from last year's TP52 "Play" theme.

I really like this. The great pattern and super sharp with a narrow DoF really works in mono. Lovely bokeh on the rest of the grater too (y)
Thanks Lee

Great photo, love the shallow depth of field and the mono conversion.
Thanks John

Cracking shot Peter... that is some lovely bokeh you get with that lens... wow! Really smart capture (nice angle/POV) and well-worked lighting. Top marks again!!
Many thanks Paul

Good start :)

It's nice of you to include your set up ideas and thoughts along with the photograph.
Thanks Mark. Another forum I used to frequent a lot was about kite building and someone on there always used to ask what had you learnt from building the kite. I thought I'd extend that to share my set ups so if anyone else can learn from this then that's an added bonus.

Superb shot. Thanks for sharing the set up.
Thanks Mandy - see above re: sharing the set up.

Good to see you're back Peter

Interesting stuff about the black socks & card (... food for thought)

But ....... hmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks David

Nice sharp image.
Nice shallow DoF. Great idea with the sock.
Thanks Darren

Great start Peter good luck for your 52 another one that dont need no luck really your pics are great.

Week 1 Bliss

Bliss by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Bliss for me is getting out taking landscapes - or in this case seascapes. Using long exposures is even more fun. The other thing I thought when I saw this on the back on the camera was that the scene even fitted the theme. It was taken at f11 and at 60 seconds using a full range of Lee filters - polariser, ND grad and the Big Stopper. PP was minimal with the biggest change being the crop. The location was a very sunny, if not chilly, Yorkshire - Spurn Point to be exact.

Last edited:
Gorgeous; the picture, that is. :)

Pattern is tidy, love the shallow dof. One of those ideas that's so obvious... once someone else has done it.

Bliss is a cracker, it just reeks of peace and solitude and space. Bang on theme, lovely light and composition. The long crop really suits it too.

Last edited:
Stunning, who'd have thought a shot like that could be achieved in Yorkshire and in January.

The great thing about Bliss is that it's totally subjective.

I'm guessing the crop was the letterbox format? (does anyone use that word anymore?)

My only critique would be that the foreground is missing something. It's probably just me because I do get the "serene-coastline-vibe" thing going on. That bare patch of sand is just staring at me though. Beautiful colours throughout. I love the huge range of blue tones through the image. I also like that the wind turbine generator thingies were easy to miss on first glance. Taking the time to look at the image suddenly revealed them to me which was a nice surprise.

Awesome start!

Hello [emoji4] not much I can say apart from wow! Love the reflections and beautiful shades of blues going through it. Really nicely done!

Very nice DK ... some impressive gear you've got there, and you know how to use it. I'm yet to experiment with looong exposures.

now that's a very classy picture, and like others have said, hard to believe it was taken in Yorkshire

Bliss
Wow, i do like that photo Peter. I thought it must have been taken abroad until i noticed the location.
Thanks Darren

Hi Peter :)

Bliss - What can I say mate, apart from I would be damn proud to have taken that, what a great seascape, as Darren says it could be anywhere, can't fault it :clap:
Thanks Dean

Totally agree with DK ...a superb shot Peter :clap:
Thanks Susie

Gorgeous; the picture, that is. :)
Thanks Martin. I thought you meant me for a minute :D:D:D

Pattern is tidy, love the shallow dof. One of those ideas that's so obvious... once someone else has done it.

Bliss is a cracker, it just reeks of peace and solitude and space. Bang on theme, lovely light and composition. The long crop really suits it too.
Many thanks Nick

Beautiful :)
Thanks Michalene

Stunning, who'd have thought a shot like that could be achieved in Yorkshire and in January.
Thanks Nick. Yes it's amazing what wonders this county provides - Mainly rain but sometimes sun LOL

Great image Peter, really relaxing.

Phil
Thanks Phil

The great thing about Bliss is that it's totally subjective.

I'm guessing the crop was the letterbox format? (does anyone use that word anymore?)

My only critique would be that the foreground is missing something. It's probably just me because I do get the "serene-coastline-vibe" thing going on. That bare patch of sand is just staring at me though. Beautiful colours throughout. I love the huge range of blue tones through the image. I also like that the wind turbine generator thingies were easy to miss on first glance. Taking the time to look at the image suddenly revealed them to me which was a nice surprise.

Awesome start!
Many thanks Ian. I know what you mean about the foreground. There were pebbles on the sand in the foreground that was cropped out but they wouldn't have been strong enough anyway. I did a similarish shot in Wales a couple of years ago a spent ages cloning turbines out. This time I thought I'd leave them in.

Hello [emoji4] not much I can say apart from wow! Love the reflections and beautiful shades of blues going through it. Really nicely done!
Thanks Ferg

stunning picture! can't fault it at all really! (y)
Thanks George

Very nice DK ... some impressive gear you've got there, and you know how to use it. I'm yet to experiment with looong exposures.
Thanks David. Lee filters are definitely the way to go but there are cheaper ways of doing it especially the 10 stop filter. We started with a screw in B&W and then moved to a HiTech. However the colour cast and build quality of the Lee's are something else. If you can get your hands on some welding glass you can achieve long exposures (do a search on TP for threads about this)

now that's a very classy picture, and like others have said, hard to believe it was taken in Yorkshire
Thanks Lorraine.

I couldn't NOT comment on your shot, Peter... that's a belter.

I don't own any filters and after seeing a few photos including your one above, I think I need to change that. I'd like to get a couple of ND grads (probably soft but unsure) and also some plain NDs. I guess I may as well get the full set and include a CPL as well, but all of a sudden we're talking more serious amounts of wonga!

Absolutely beautiful shot and a wall hanger for me!

Back