weekly Delta Skies 2015 TP52 - Week 17 Heat

Great interpretation of Fragile and I love the processing. The sad faces add poignancy. A big (y) from me.
Thanks Jill

A touching interpretation, well done.The processing works, and the frame gives it something too.
Thanks Nick

Peter

Just catching up!

Bliss- Nothing more to say than others have already said… the photo itself is Bliss! A wall hanger as others said… You have actually reminded me I bought a big stopper a few years ago and never actually tried it out yet! I must use it somehow in this years 52!

Fragile- Topical capture which is a great tribute. It's maybe a bit over processed for me… but that's only because i'm originally a film photographer so I tend to stick to doing in PP what I knew I could do in a dark room… also I'm a bit of a technophobe and try to spend minimal time at the computer processing! As a marketing and promotional image its excellent!

Great start to your 52.
Many thanks Mark. Wow get that Big Stopper out and used! I understand what you are saying about the PP on the fragile shot. I felt the image needed something rather than it just be a load of teddies ;)

You are very dedicated at replying to all!

Lovely set of shots so far Peter, I know your work and I know you'll nail these themes (y)

:clap: on a great start, sorry for not stopping by sooner. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Hi Peter...made it here finally :wave:

I do love your thread....the extremes of that super macro for patterns to the stunning landscape & then on to the poignant image for Fragile.......nothing less than I'd expect from you , all well thought out & equally well shot with great processing on the Fragile image.....:clap::clap:

Hiya Peter... loads of peoples' photos to catch up on from me!

Great and very apt shot. Lighting is simple (pretty much on axis?) but works pretty effectively - perhaps leaves the bears looking a touch flat, but in a funny kind of way that works with the overall sentiment.

Processing is excellent and the saying goes, "you can't make an average shot great with processing" does reinforce that you've taken a good shot and processed it to great :)

Composition / tightness works for me, btw.

You are very dedicated at replying to all!

Lovely set of shots so far Peter, I know your work and I know you'll nail these themes (y)

:clap: on a great start, sorry for not stopping by sooner. Looking forward to seeing the next one.
Thanks Alex. I'm not replying to everything this year. I did in 2012 and tried it last year but had to prioritise.

Hi Peter...made it here finally :wave:

I do love your thread....the extremes of that super macro for patterns to the stunning landscape & then on to the poignant image for Fragile.......nothing less than I'd expect from you , all well thought out & equally well shot with great processing on the Fragile image.....:clap::clap:
Thanks Lynne

Hiya Peter... loads of peoples' photos to catch up on from me!

Great and very apt shot. Lighting is simple (pretty much on axis?) but works pretty effectively - perhaps leaves the bears looking a touch flat, but in a funny kind of way that works with the overall sentiment.

Processing is excellent and the saying goes, "you can't make an average shot great with processing" does reinforce that you've taken a good shot and processed it to great :)

Composition / tightness works for me, btw.
Thanks Paul. You're right - the lighting was virtually on axis. This was taken on our stairs with Sarah holding the lighting stand behind/lower than me with it resting on my shoulder to steady it.

Nice composition and a good choice of subject there Peter, not 100% sure on the pp, but it's growing on me.
Thanks Michael. This type of PP will never suit everyone so no problem there

Great shot Peter and very topical. Nice tribute.
Thanks Russell

Week 3 - Scenic

Winter Tracks by Delta Skies, on Flickr

This was a tricky theme for such short days as my only chance for a scenic shot is the weekend. Luckily we'd had some snow in Yorkshire and a mostly blue sky most of the morning. We hadn't planned for this location. We basically got in the car and followed the snow and chased the Sun. LOL. Anyway we found this scene not far from Penistone (real name:p).

This was a tricky theme for such short days as my only chance for a scenic shot is the weekend. Luckily we'd had some snow in Yorkshire and a mostly blue sky most of the morning. We hadn't planned for this location. We basically got in the car and followed the snow and chased the Sun. LOL. Anyway we found this scene not far from Penistone (real name:p).

Wish we had gone snow chasing today! Wakefield has had some snow flurries but nothing on the ground. It appears that 5 miles either side is covered!!

Lovely image sums up winter, but for me, roll on summer; I hate the cold.

Very scenic indeed Peter (y)

Just being a tad picky though, I wonder if a more central angle would have
been better, following the tyre tracks, or would the central tree have blocked the view?

Scenic - After reading your intro to this image, it would seem you had fun. I love snow sadly not had any snow where I live, a small scattering is all we have had :(. I think you have come up with a great image for the theme, I find it very pleasing to look at.

Well done for getting out there and finding something Scenic. Slight quibble from me is the distracting speck of ?branch? on the LHS

Wish we had gone snow chasing today! Wakefield has had some snow flurries but nothing on the ground. It appears that 5 miles either side is covered!!
We originally thought about Newmillerdam but driving down the M1 we decided to just drive straight on by to find more of the white stuff

Lovely image sums up winter, but for me, roll on summer; I hate the cold.
Thanks Martin

Very scenic indeed Peter (y)

Just being a tad picky though, I wonder if a more central angle would have
been better, following the tyre tracks, or would the central tree have blocked the view?
Thanks Cobra. I must admit to moving left and right, forward and back, landscape and portrait orientation and never really settled on anything that could provide any symmetry without losing the image.

Scenic - After reading your intro to this image, it would seem you had fun. I love snow sadly not had any snow where I live, a small scattering is all we have had :(. I think you have come up with a great image for the theme, I find it very pleasing to look at.
Thanks Mandy

Nice, exposure looks good and I like the square composition.
Thanks Michael. This one actually started off life as a landscape format although I have the portrait versions as well

Well done for getting out there and finding something Scenic. Slight quibble from me is the distracting speck of ?branch? on the LHS
Thanks Jill. I can't believe I missed that. :banghead: Easily edited later though.

Hi Peter, nice shot. I like the square crop - it works very well. Nice to see you caught some snow - by the time I'd got myself together it had all vanished :(

Trees and Snow.... Very nice Peter, no flipping snow down here:(
Been waiting for something significant, but just had the odd flurry while driving.
Nicely exposed i really like the cold blue background on the RH side merging into a graduated whit on the LH side, nice detail in the tree trunks and bark.... Have a word with the locals not to trample the snow;).... Would be nice with a virgin snow shot too.
Nice shot!

Hi Peter :wave: another 52 eh? You must love it :)

Loving the grater, I keep looking at mine thinking I should photograph that!
Bliss, amazingly beautiful and needs to be printed to canvas or framed straight away.
Fragile, such sadness to inspire the need for this. So many crazy people in this world :(
Scenic, a lovely fresh winter scene. The path leads us nicely through the trees. The lighting looks nice and soft, is that from the hint of cloud? I miss clouds, so many harsh shadows out here! Here's hoping there is a little snow when we're over and back up your way in a few weeks!

Nice Scenic shot Peter.

Nicely exposed and managed to keep the details in the trees.

Not keen on the square crop, but that a personal thing.
Thanks Darren. No problem about the crop. As you say it's a personal thing

A wintery scene and fits the theme perfectly. You got the exposure spot on too.
Thanks Stan

Hi Peter, nice shot. I like the square crop - it works very well. Nice to see you caught some snow - by the time I'd got myself together it had all vanished :(
Thanks Lorraine. Need to get back out there - we've had more overnight. In fact it's still snowing in Leeds - just not really settling

Nice colours ...
Thanks David

Trees and Snow.... Very nice Peter, no flipping snow down here:(
Been waiting for something significant, but just had the odd flurry while driving.
Nicely exposed i really like the cold blue background on the RH side merging into a graduated whit on the LH side, nice detail in the tree trunks and bark.... Have a word with the locals not to trample the snow;).... Would be nice with a virgin snow shot too.
Nice shot!
Thanks Steve. I think it's a local dog walk hence more than plenty of foot holes

Nice shot Peter, well composed. I think my part of Scotland is the only part that hasn't had snow yet. Not complaining though.
Thanks Russell

Hi Peter :wave: another 52 eh? You must love it :)

Loving the grater, I keep looking at mine thinking I should photograph that!
Bliss, amazingly beautiful and needs to be printed to canvas or framed straight away.
Fragile, such sadness to inspire the need for this. So many crazy people in this world :(
Scenic, a lovely fresh winter scene. The path leads us nicely through the trees. The lighting looks nice and soft, is that from the hint of cloud? I miss clouds, so many harsh shadows out here! Here's hoping there is a little snow when we're over and back up your way in a few weeks!
Thanks for the catch up Marsha. I've only seen one cloud in Leeds today. Trouble being it's one big cloud and is staying for the day.;)

Hi, Peter, that D800 and Zeiss combo is working a threat. Super detail and nice blues in the sky.

I quite like the square format. The angle does lead you up the path, any from looking straight up the path?

Cheers.

Hi, Peter, that D800 and Zeiss combo is working a threat. Super detail and nice blues in the sky.

I quite like the square format. The angle does lead you up the path, any from looking straight up the path?

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Moving to full frame has been an eye opener in terms of quality of image. It also cost me as I now "had to" ;) buy a Macbook as my old laptop just couldn't cope with the file sizes. The Zeiss is my go to lens. I do the majority of my work in full manual mode so losing the autofocus wasn't a problem. I just now "need" another couple of Zeiss's to help fill the bag :p

I did take a few shots from various angles but felt this off centre one worked best.

That's scenic enough for me. The tracks are a good spot, and the staggered trees let you step through the frame. No white balance issues, and the touch of blue is lovely.

Hi Peter, exposure, and WB are spot on and some great detail in there, it makes me want to go for a walk there, I love the tangle of the branches :clap:

That's a lovely shot Peter and expertly shot (technically) as you always do...

One question: did you drive your car up into the scene and then reverse back again :) because I can't think of any other reason for those pair of tracks which look suspiciously like tyre tracks ;) (and excellent leading lines they are too!)

Great detail and crispness which suits the scene perfectly. The side lighting from the left also works really well for me, creating that # pattern with the shadows intersecting your "tyre tracks"... nice touch!

Blue looks a touch over on my monitor, but it's a very minor point and WB etc. very well handled!

God I wish we had even a sprinkle of snow... that looks real nice Peter :)

With all the trees leaning to the left slightly my brain thinks it's on the wonk, but looking closely the fence posts are spot on so it's just one of them scene's - nicely exposed photo, plenty of detail in the bark, good WB and composition works really well with the tyre tracks - Nice One (y)

I was about to post something about the trees appearing to lean to the left, but I see that DK's got in before me! I wondered whether using a clockwise rotation and portrait format to lose the tell tale perfectly aligned fence posts would solve it, but that would probably mean losing some of the lead in from the tyre tracks which would be a shame. Apart from that, it's a great shot and very scenic :clap:

Oh you can't beat a nice snowy scene! Good WB and love the way the blue sky peeks through the snow covered branches - very idyllic[emoji5]️

That's scenic enough for me. The tracks are a good spot, and the staggered trees let you step through the frame. No white balance issues, and the touch of blue is lovely.
Thanks Nick

Hi Peter, exposure, and WB are spot on and some great detail in there, it makes me want to go for a walk there, I love the tangle of the branches :clap:
Thanks Allan

That's a lovely shot Peter and expertly shot (technically) as you always do...

One question: did you drive your car up into the scene and then reverse back again :) because I can't think of any other reason for those pair of tracks which look suspiciously like tyre tracks ;) (and excellent leading lines they are too!)

Great detail and crispness which suits the scene perfectly. The side lighting from the left also works really well for me, creating that # pattern with the shadows intersecting your "tyre tracks"... nice touch!

Blue looks a touch over on my monitor, but it's a very minor point and WB etc. very well handled!
Thanks Paul. Sorry no I didn't drive up and down there. :D. One of the things I did do in pp was to up the contrast on the # shaped shadows. Well spotted.

God I wish we had even a sprinkle of snow... that looks real nice Peter :)

With all the trees leaning to the left slightly my brain thinks it's on the wonk, but looking closely the fence posts are spot on so it's just one of them scene's - nicely exposed photo, plenty of detail in the bark, good WB and composition works really well with the tyre tracks - Nice One (y)
Thanks Dean. Maybe one of my feet was stood in the tyre tracks hence the lean :D

I was about to post something about the trees appearing to lean to the left, but I see that DK's got in before me! I wondered whether using a clockwise rotation and portrait format to lose the tell tale perfectly aligned fence posts would solve it, but that would probably mean losing some of the lead in from the tyre tracks which would be a shame. Apart from that, it's a great shot and very scenic :clap:
Thanks Elaine. I was using a 25mm on full frame so maybe that didn't help with the lean

Oh you can't beat a nice snowy scene! Good WB and love the way the blue sky peeks through the snow covered branches - very idyllic[emoji5]️
Thanks Ferg

Lovely photo Peter, it's nice to see the blue sky too peeking through the trees :)
I like the square crop too!
We haven't had any snow but I'm not complaining as I hate the Winter ;)

I'm just gonna make a minor comment about the ear being clipped,
and quickly move on,

Lovely portrait, lovely looking dog too Peter :)

Hi Peter, Great portrait of the dog, perfect focus on the eyes they really do stand out and great tones in the B+W

What a lovely looking dog..... He/she looks well versed in modelling[emoji2]

Back