weekly Delta Skies 2015 TP52 - Week 17 Heat

Really impressed Peter with how you've managed to get the light to show the different colours so clearly without any unwanted shadows or reflections :clap:
Thanks Elaine. I was aiming to take this in natural light but ended up having to sort some other things out and then realised the Sun had disappeared. That said it is often easier to control the shadows and reflections when you are controlling the lights. In this case I was hand holding the light and moving it around until I got what I was after

Great shot. Could easily make a magazine cover or something. Crisp white "lab conditions" background and lovely rendered colours. Love the choice of depth of field too.

I also found out what a plamp was. Although it sounds like the person responsible for naming it was behind the phablet.
Thanks Ian. The colours were as seen other than the blue. For some reason the food colouring wouldn't go dark enough so I played with the sliders just for that area of the image.

Sarah's Plamp, eh, sounds painful :coat:

Well composed, nice and tight, good shallow DOF and colours.

No meaning full crit on this one.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy

Nice simple image "Experiment" Peter, great colours too.

Phil
Thanks Phil

Hi Peter - good shot, great interpretation of the theme :)
Thanks Lorraine

Hi there :wave:

Watery: That looks a stunning place. I prefer the colour shot personally but you're right - there is something I can't quite put my finger on. I am getting the feeling I want to crop a bit off the bottom and a bit off the right hand side.

Machine: Really like this. The rust in mono for the texture. The square crop and round gears. Smashing (y)

Alphabet: Very nice take on the theme. I like the shallow DoF.

Sound: The light looks nice and the shot works well with the negative space :)

Experiment: Great shot. The bold colours work well with the white BG. The only thing that I am drawn to is the gap in the lower right. It feels like it needs an extra test tube there. Strange thing is, I don't notice the gap on the left...
Many thanks for the catch up Lee. The test tube shot was cropped from a wider original. Now you've mentioned it I keep looking at the RHS gap.:D

We thought along the same lines Peter. Love the colours in this and right on theme.

Perfect simplicity. Three OOF BG colours and the angled FG test-tube telling you the BG is obviously test-tubes. Say no more, it yells Experiment.

Last edited:
Hi Peter

Experiment......no crit at all , super idea & as usual really well executed :clap:

Your reshoot of the beach type shot with the neutralised color effect works better as the blue is less over powering so thats a tick in the box for me (y) But I still find the whitness of the foreground rocks a little too over powering......can't please some people eh ?:(

We thought along the same lines Peter. Love the colours in this and right on theme.
Thanks Ruth. I think I need to go back to the lab and take a picture of a bunsen burner for this week's heat theme

Perfect simplicity. Three OOF BG colours and the angled FG test-tube telling you the BG is obviously test-tubes. Say no more, it yells Experiment.
Thanks David

Hi Peter

Experiment......no crit at all , super idea & as usual really well executed :clap:

Your reshoot of the beach type shot with the neutralised color effect works better as the blue is less over powering so thats a tick in the box for me (y) But I still find the whitness of the foreground rocks a little too over powering......can't please some people eh ?:(
Thanks Lynne.

hey Peter - loving your experiment shot, the BG makes it for me :clap:

Week 17 - Heat

Fire Eater by Delta Skies, on Flickr

The took a trip to Whitby today for the Goth Weekend and found this chap doing a fire eating act. I could resist grabbing a shot for the theme. Even from where we were stood we could feel the heat from the flames. Taken using the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 which I seem to have inherited from Sarah as she has gone all Fujifilm on me :p

wow amazing, we saw one in Tallinn but I didn't get any good shots :( only had my phone with me. Even though the flame is a bit oof it remains a brilliant shot :clap:

For me. ..the best of the theme so far by a mile :)

Good shot that one. I've often wondered what happens if the fire-eater has a coughing fit while doing this; I suppose he'd light up from the inside.

Nice lens to inherit .. and super real Heat shot. (y)

Hi Peter, you have caught those flames really well an amazing capture

Inspired take on Heat Peter. Being in the right place at the right time helps, as does the Nikon 70-200 :D so well done you (y)

Hell's teeth, that's a bit special. Really well exposed, cracking detail in the guy's face, yeah, part of the flame is OOF, minor point. The orange glow on his face is great.

Cheers.

wow amazing, we saw one in Tallinn but I didn't get any good shots :( only had my phone with me. Even though the flame is a bit oof it remains a brilliant shot :clap:
Thanks Summer

For me. ..the best of the theme so far by a mile :)
Wow Thanks Ruth - Well it was early days when you posted that :p

Good shot that one. I've often wondered what happens if the fire-eater has a coughing fit while doing this; I suppose he'd light up from the inside.
Thanks Martin. I have to say the guy was suffering following each of the short displays. I can't imagine having flammable liquid in your mouth can do you much good.

Nice lens to inherit .. and super real Heat shot. (y)
Thanks David

Alphabet: Excellent shot, DOF add interest and its spot on theme wise, the processing is fab and matches the typewriter's aged feel.

Sound: I like it, but not as much as your other shots, lots of negative space works for most people but unfortunately something missing for me, I can't put my finger on it but just there is something not quite there for me, its lovely in colourm, light and sharpness though.

Experiment. Again a great shot, colour DOF and and test tube in focus, definitely experiment themed.

Heat: Disgustingly Outstanding, nothing more to be said, the dribble makes it disgusting but overall it is an outstanding shot for the theme, you should be damn well impressed with that, i certainly would be proud as punch!

The winner for this week's theme. Fantastic capture!
Thanks Bob

Alphabet: Excellent shot, DOF add interest and its spot on theme wise, the processing is fab and matches the typewriter's aged feel.

Sound: I like it, but not as much as your other shots, lots of negative space works for most people but unfortunately something missing for me, I can't put my finger on it but just there is something not quite there for me, its lovely in colourm, light and sharpness though.

Experiment. Again a great shot, colour DOF and and test tube in focus, definitely experiment themed.

Heat: Disgustingly Outstanding, nothing more to be said, the dribble makes it disgusting but overall it is an outstanding shot for the theme, you should be damn well impressed with that, i certainly would be proud as punch!
Many thanks for the catch up and comments Nathan

A real cracker Peter! Can't find anything to fault with it and a big well done for being in the right place at the right time :clap:

Oh Hell has it been that long since I was in your thread:eek:
Shouldn't be called TP52 should be the eternal catch up!
Watery .... Nice shot like the gritty contrast, nice textures in the lichen and on the stone. Good use of shutter speed there! BTW that whole in the railings you went through was it a whole, hole or half a hole?;)

Bold.... Nowt as bold as brass eh! I guess as all photos are subjective and your aim was to go high key with a sharp DOF and bokeh to suit then who can argue you have achieved what you set out too(y) Its just a question of peoples individual tastes after that:rolleyes:. I think I might have gone colour on this to emphasize the brass element... Or played colour popping on the valve alone. Clever thinking(y)

Relax.... Very Zen! and not a spot of blue tac in sight:D Beaches are always an invitation for me to do something stupid that normally involves me getting wet! Like the off centre shot and the way you managed to get the light in the right direction to pick up the reflection. You have really got that DOF bang on the arse end of the stones haven't you (y) Nice sharp shot! Only thing I might have played with id deciding whether I would square crop it...

Vertical ... That's a cracker, bold vibrant colours, shouts Vertical! Think I need to get my 70-200 more often. Lots of scope at that location for some shots by the look of it.

Mouth.... Really like this! Great colours, and beautiful whites. love the way the yellow looks like its leaching into the veins of the white of the petals. Very soft warm glowing colours. I don't think anything other than the square crop would work well here. Great exposure.(y)

Crowd.... Thanks for reminding of the manufacturer! Playmobil! Just had a weekend of WW3 with the grandkids (5 & 2) we thought it would be a good idea to bring down from the loft my sons (28 & 31) Playmobil stuff to occupy the grandkids! OMG whichever the youngest had the eldest wanted, Grumpy Granddad blew his stack in the end.
I digress, well it has certainly popped the main character. Nice little crowd there, fits the theme colourful little lot aren't they!

Close up.... That's nicely lit, nicely balanced exposure across the frame, never really studied those hammers before, quite interesting typeface isn't it. Like the sweeping top right to bottom left composition. Well shot nice work(y)

Watery Reshoot .... I'm glad I scrolled down to the B&W as I spent bloody ages looking for that wind farm!!!! Not sure what it is about this shot but its done something funny to my eyes. Its the effect of the long exposure and the pebbles in the middle foreground then running into the ultra sharp foreground, Its a great shot with lovely colour just addles my head:eek: (ps that's not hard).

Machine .... You've gone all B&W on me again! where's all those lovely Orangey / Red rusty colours? some funny blurred bits on the teeth that are OOF was this a few layers blended? Like the gears, fits the theme well(y)

Alphabet.... Nice old "Machine" as well;) Great DOF showed this to the wife last night when explaining DOF a great example(y) I normally don't like frames but this one fits the bill very well looks like and old advertising poster. Nice Shot.

Sound .... Exceptionally clean and sharp shot, Uncluttered and the space works very well....

Experiment .... I like your "Sample":D Nice lighting and fits the theme well.....

Heat.... That's a great shot, really like that, Good timing to catch that, Couldn't say heat any better than this! surprised he's still got his moustache!!! The 70-200's doing a great job its a cracking lens.

I'll Beggar off now:exit:

Back