weekly Delta Skies 2015 TP52 - Week 17 Heat

Hi Peter,

Watery - I like the movement and processing you have on this one, works really well

Bold - Nice take on theme, nice use of DOF, sharp in the right areas and nice and bright emphasising the shiny brassyness

WATERY....Love the angle as the culvert sweeps across the frame, and the B&W conversion too.

BOLD...Well it is, is't it....bold as brass. Has a real "otherworldlyness" about it.

Watery - haha, I can just imagine the looks you were getting shooting that! Great composition with a lovely curve to the kerb stones and a good feeling of movement in the water :clap:

Bold - I'd quite like to see the original before the b/w conversion, as I think the colour might add to the boldness and brassiness, but I love the detail in the valves and the oof bell and mouthpiece. (Can you tell I've been googling the anatomy of a cornet? :oops: :$)

Watery - excellent I love the gritty feel to the image as others have pointed out, choice of processing really does give this image some life.

Bold - a really great take on the theme, good composition and I like the focus being on the valves, just not to keen on the hi key processing of the image.

Hi Peter,

Watery - I like the movement and processing you have on this one, works really well

Bold - Nice take on theme, nice use of DOF, sharp in the right areas and nice and bright emphasising the shiny brassyness
Thanks Nathan

WATERY....Love the angle as the culvert sweeps across the frame, and the B&W conversion too.

BOLD...Well it is, is't it....bold as brass. Has a real "otherworldlyness" about it.
Thanks Ruth

Watery - haha, I can just imagine the looks you were getting shooting that! Great composition with a lovely curve to the kerb stones and a good feeling of movement in the water :clap:

Bold - I'd quite like to see the original before the b/w conversion, as I think the colour might add to the boldness and brassiness, but I love the detail in the valves and the oof bell and mouthpiece. (Can you tell I've been googling the anatomy of a cornet? :oops: :$)
Thanks Elaine. Our eldest played in a brass band for a number of years so we got used to seeing and hearing these. He still owns two cornets and a trumpet but they're still sat at home and he's at Uni so they're not getting much daylight other than me using them for the TP

Watery - excellent I love the gritty feel to the image as others have pointed out, choice of processing really does give this image some life.

Bold - a really great take on the theme, good composition and I like the focus being on the valves, just not to keen on the hi key processing of the image.
Thanks Mandy. Looks like hi-key isn't to everyone taste which isn't a problem

Hi Peter, firstly I want to apologise for my lack of comments in recent weeks. Two great shots for watery and bold, good use of mono in both and I really like the shallow DoF in your bold image, just enough so you can still tell what the object is. Nice work.

Week 8 - Relax

Relax by Delta Skies, on Flickr

A trip to the seaside on Saturday found me scouring the beach for pebbles. Now I know how Blakester feels! ;) This took quite a few shots to get the incoming tide just in the right place so the tide line didn't distract too much. Taken hand held at the long-ish end of a 70-200 with the incoming water lapping around my feet. I was kneeling on a sit mat at one point but then found I was sinking and starting to get wet knees. The things we do for our hobby :p

Week 9 - Vertical

Vertical Lines by Delta Skies, on Flickr

The same trip to to Whitby and we headed towards the beach huts just as the Sun was trying to break through. Sarah wanted to get her vertical shot here but ended up in the trees on the way home so I've taken advantage and used one of mine of the huts for the theme. Taken at f2.8 with the 70-200 to keep a minimum DoF. These are the new huts so the colours didn't need saturating any more adjusting in PP.

Vertical is a lovely shot, nice vibrant colours and plenty of verticals. Spot on for me.

A couple of good images there Peter, although Relax just seems to be missing something, it looks a little too staged for me. Personally I think pebble stacks look better when they are a bit more in context, maybe with OOF beach and Sea in the background. As to Vertical, a cracking shot (y)

I know what you mean about the Relax shoot, I got soaked up to the elbows lying face down in the sand to do a similar shot :eek: I can guarantee the Med is freezing in February :coldfeet:. As Chris said though it lacks context for me too.

Vertical - that is a crackingly good interpretation (y)

Vertical: I have just made an appointment to have my retinas put back in after they were blown out by the colour explosion! Vibrant, on theme -- exactly -- and a very good picture. Well-imagined. (y)

Hi Peter

Relax ... I like that because of the reflection and the nothingness in the BG.

Vertical ... great photo op. there, but I think I'd like to see a bit more in focus.

Relax, it sounds as though you weren't really relaxed taking it TBH :D
A nice take on the theme, very minimalist too, I can see that as a wall hanger (y)

Vertical, yep that's loud! :D
It certainly fits the theme Peter. (y)

Vertical is a lovely shot, nice vibrant colours and plenty of verticals. Spot on for me.
Thanks John

A couple of good images there Peter, although Relax just seems to be missing something, it looks a little too staged for me. Personally I think pebble stacks look better when they are a bit more in context, maybe with OOF beach and Sea in the background. As to Vertical, a cracking shot (y)
Thanks Chris. I see what you are saying about the context with the pebbles. I suppose I could have done that further up the beach but I went to the water's edge to try for some dampness in the surroundings

I know what you mean about the Relax shoot, I got soaked up to the elbows lying face down in the sand to do a similar shot :eek: I can guarantee the Med is freezing in February :coldfeet:. As Chris said though it lacks context for me too.

Vertical - that is a crackingly good interpretation (y)
Thanks Jill

Peter, I dream of taking shots like your vertical entry, excellent in every way for me.
Thanks Nathan

Vertical: I have just made an appointment to have my retinas put back in after they were blown out by the colour explosion! Vibrant, on theme -- exactly -- and a very good picture. Well-imagined. (y)
Thanks Martin. Believe it or not I didn't play with the saturation levels on this one.

Hi Peter

Relax ... I like that because of the reflection and the nothingness in the BG.

Vertical ... great photo op. there, but I think I'd like to see a bit more in focus.
Thanks David. Maybe I'm too partial to a high aperture ;)

Relax, it sounds as though you weren't really relaxed taking it TBH :D
A nice take on the theme, very minimalist too, I can see that as a wall hanger (y)

Vertical, yep that's loud! :D
It certainly fits the theme Peter. (y)
Thanks Chris. Maybe I was too relaxed as I hadn't realised I was sinking. It was before I eat my fish and chips as well :p

It was before I eat my fish and chips
Fish and chips by the sea (y)
At least you were well compensated for the inconvenience of having to take pictures :D

Fish and chips by the sea (y)
At least you were well compensated for the inconvenience of having to take pictures :D
Absolutely. We don't regularly have fish and chips so it always feels more of a treat to have them when we go to the seaside. For anyone visiting Whitby you'll find big queues to get in at the Magpie but a few doors down is The Quayside F&C restaurant which in our book is much better.(y)

Another 2 great pictures Peter and as Mandy says nice composition for vertical. (y)

I'm off to Whitby on Sunday (weather permitting) I will look see if your zen relaxing pebble set up is still standing :)

Relax - A nice simple well exposed image for the theme, nothing more relaxing than a nice trip to the beach.

Vertical - I do like this nice bright colours, and the composition is spot on for me.
Thanks Mandy

Another 2 great pictures Peter and as Mandy says nice composition for vertical. (y)

I'm off to Whitby on Sunday (weather permitting) I will look see if your zen relaxing pebble set up is still standing :)
Thanks Martin. Have a great day at Whitby (fingers crossed for a change to the forecast for you)

2 great shots Peter. Really good for the theme. Reminded me of last year spending a few days in Whitby.

Week 10 - Mouth

Stigma by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Sarah's just got us membership at RHS Harlow Carr in Harrogate so we went on our first visit today. I felt looking into the workings (I know there's more technical terms) of a flower would be like looking into its mouth. This was hand held (even though I carried the tripod around all afternoon) at f11 + 1/125 second. I felt the square crop work better around the middle of the flower......plus it meant a slight flaw in one of the petals was cropped out.

Last edited:
Nice shot Peter,I agree the square crop works well, it draws my attention straight to the centre. Maybe clone the stray bits of pollen out?
Thanks Michael especially for pointing out that I'd uploaded the image without the layer with the cloning out of the pollen. Image replaced - hopefully the correct one this time :confused:

1st class again it almost looks like an oil painting.

I like this Peter. Had a similar idea myself but couldn't make it work. Love the colour and detail. I like your choice of crop too. Square is not boring eh?!

Mouth...Oh now that's rather special Peter.
Very beautiful.

Stunning. Not quite sure exactly what it is and why but ... :)

I like that Peter, good idea for a different take on the theme (y)

Hi Peter

Vertical.....love this , strong bold colors , great use of DOF & lovely composition :clap:

Relax...super shot ,again DOF is just right , POV great & a little reflection sets it off nicely (y)

Stunning. Not quite sure exactly what it is and why but ... :)
Thanks David. It's a flower - not sure exactly what though

Great "Mouth" image Peter, really good.

Phil
Thanks Phil

I like that Peter, good idea for a different take on the theme (y)
Thanks Chris

Hi Peter

Vertical.....love this , strong bold colors , great use of DOF & lovely composition :clap:

Relax...super shot ,again DOF is just right , POV great & a little reflection sets it off nicely (y)
Thanks Lynne

Hi Peter, mouth works really well the DoF is perfect with that splash of yellow behind the sharp stamen

Back