weekly Delta Skies 2015 TP52 - Week 17 Heat

Hi Peter,

Mouth - that's a very classy shot and the square crop works very well. I love it (y)

Yes love that focus in the middle. Very well balanced image.
Theme spot on.

Gaz

Hi, Peter, Relax, interesting idea and certainly appreciate the relaxation bengine taking such a photograph. I think a square crop would work well with the pebbles centrally.

Vertical, wow, some super colours here and perspecive. I'm undecided on including the handle, but think I'd prefer without to give a more minima feel.

Mouth, I do like these very shallow DOF photographs and it's an interesting take on the theme.

Cheers.

Hi, Peter, Relax, interesting idea and certainly appreciate the relaxation bengine taking such a photograph. I think a square crop would work well with the pebbles centrally.

Vertical, wow, some super colours here and perspecive. I'm undecided on including the handle, but think I'd prefer without to give a more minima feel.

Mouth, I do like these very shallow DOF photographs and it's an interesting take on the theme.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy for the comments and feedback

Week 11 - Crowd

Standing out in the Crowd by Delta Skies, on Flickr
I refused to take my camera to the Photography Show at the NEC last weekend so I guess I missed a perfect opportunity there. Instead I opted for an inside shot. It's a few years since these Playmobil characters have seen the light of day (our boys are 17 and 19) but I thought they'd make a good crowd shot. This was taken at f3 for the shallow DoF although a little more blur was used in pp for those on the same plane as the main character. These are backlit through the curtains rather than the direct Sun as I quite liked the glow it seemed to give to the image.

Hiya fab crowd photo the glow does add some glow to thje colours :)
Close up great too. Like the long sweeping arch you got going on. Never done the stack thing before looks like you did a great jo of it.
Do you stack them yourself ?

Gaz

Hi Peter :)

Crowd - A super bright image here mate, and he certainly stands out a treat with being bang on sharp and the modern baseball cap surrounded by knights and pirates, really like the lighting on the figures, and a nice take on the theme :)

Close Up - Oooo nice - Super detail here Peter, loving the way the row of hammers sweep from corner to corner, again really well lit, really liking this, would make a great print for as study/home office :clap:

Hi Peter, love the typewriter pic very clean hammers, as DK says above the sweep of the hammers is perfect :clap:

Hi Peter,

Crowd - what a great idea, and a good use of dof

Close up - another good idea, and I agree with Dark Knight & Allan about the way you've composed the shot (y)

Crowd, good depth of field there Peter, nice and colourful too (y)

Close up, Nice detailed image, I like the angle too (y)

Hiya fab crowd photo the glow does add some glow to thje colours :)
Close up great too. Like the long sweeping arch you got going on. Never done the stack thing before looks like you did a great jo of it.
Do you stack them yourself ?

Gaz
Thanks Gaz. I let Photoshop do all the hard work for me. Sometimes I've had to do some extra work on top but in this case the stacking worked out.

Hi Peter :)

Crowd - A super bright image here mate, and he certainly stands out a treat with being bang on sharp and the modern baseball cap surrounded by knights and pirates, really like the lighting on the figures, and a nice take on the theme :)

Close Up - Oooo nice - Super detail here Peter, loving the way the row of hammers sweep from corner to corner, again really well lit, really liking this, would make a great print for as study/home office :clap:
Thanks Dean

Hi Peter, love the typewriter pic very clean hammers, as DK says above the sweep of the hammers is perfect :clap:
Thanks Allan. I must admit to cloning out a couple of minute hairs that were on them

Hi Peter,

Crowd - what a great idea, and a good use of dof

Close up - another good idea, and I agree with Dark Knight & Allan about the way you've composed the shot (y)
Thanks Lorraine

Crowd, good depth of field there Peter, nice and colourful too (y)

Close up, Nice detailed image, I like the angle too (y)
Thanks Chris

Crowd - really like the idea and use of the playmobile people and lots of scope with linking them to future themes!

Close up, I really like this and like that it is nice and clean, not going with the usual dark and gritty effect for this type of image.
:)

Crowd ... Nice idea, lighting, colour ... and he certainly stands out.

Close Up ... fascinating bit of old kit. Great composition and focus job.

Stunning shots throughout! And hats off for BLISS, COMPANIONS and BOLD. Superb.
Thanks Bob

Crowd - really like the idea and use of the playmobile people and lots of scope with linking them to future themes!

Close up, I really like this and like that it is nice and clean, not going with the usual dark and gritty effect for this type of image.
:)
Many thanks Hzel

Crowd ... Nice idea, lighting, colour ... and he certainly stands out.

Close Up ... fascinating bit of old kit. Great composition and focus job.
Thanks David

HI Peter....

couldv'e sworn I commented on Mouth :thinking: Love it, super detail , crop suits it ...nuff said....super shot :clap:

Close up.....like that , bit different , love you got the curve coming in from bottom left & a super job on the stacking :clap:

Crowd.....not a huge fan of these toy shots but yours works well , super focus & lovely lighting :clap:

:agree: not a fan of the toy pics either but love the focus and the colours so personal prejudice aside its a good shot

Close up as covered super composition and stacking. I really need to get to grips with this stacking malarkey it really makes a difference

Morning, Crowd, now that's bright and colourful. On theme and nice selective focus.

Close, good overall, detail, just the OOF lower left corner. I sometimes get this around the edges when I stack. I might have been tempted to crop or get in even closer to the letters.

Cheers.

close-up - excellent execution, I can never merge frames very well :( you could also use this for your machine shot :)

Hi there,
I have a bit of catching up to do it seems!

Elegant: Nice shot with good lighting. I like the diagonals of the plate that lead my eye around that tasty looking pudding :)
Watery: I like the mono conversion. Great textures in the stone. I have a feeling the water is running from top left to bottom right but my eye wants it to go the other way which is odd (if that make sense). Nice shot (y)
Bold: I like the concept but the shallow DoF is too shallow for me I'm afraid.
Relax: I like this. Good composition and reflection. A good use of "negative space" too.
Vertical: Spot on theme and very colourful. Would have worked well for Bold too.
Mouth: I'm a sucker for a good macro shot and this is great. Interesting interpretation on the theme. Works well with the square crop.
Crowd: Perfect fit to the theme and I really like what you have done in PP.
Close up: Nice composition of some very clean type hammers. I like it (y)

Crowd - a really good job of making him stand out from the crowd and the backlighting is spot on :clap:

Close Up - As has already been said, super composition. Were the typebars that pristine to start with or did you have to get the brillo pad on them?

HI Peter....

couldv'e sworn I commented on Mouth :thinking: Love it, super detail , crop suits it ...nuff said....super shot :clap:

Close up.....like that , bit different , love you got the curve coming in from bottom left & a super job on the stacking :clap:

Crowd.....not a huge fan of these toy shots but yours works well , super focus & lovely lighting :clap:
Thanks Lynne

:agree: not a fan of the toy pics either but love the focus and the colours so personal prejudice aside its a good shot

Close up as covered super composition and stacking. I really need to get to grips with this stacking malarkey it really makes a difference
Thanks Simon. Go for it. Stacking is actually easier than you think especially with Photoshop

Morning, Crowd, now that's bright and colourful. On theme and nice selective focus.

Close, good overall, detail, just the OOF lower left corner. I sometimes get this around the edges when I stack. I might have been tempted to crop or get in even closer to the letters.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy

close-up - excellent execution, I can never merge frames very well :( you could also use this for your machine shot :)
Thanks Summer. Not got my machine shot yet :(

Hi there,
I have a bit of catching up to do it seems!

Elegant: Nice shot with good lighting. I like the diagonals of the plate that lead my eye around that tasty looking pudding :)
Watery: I like the mono conversion. Great textures in the stone. I have a feeling the water is running from top left to bottom right but my eye wants it to go the other way which is odd (if that make sense). Nice shot (y)
Bold: I like the concept but the shallow DoF is too shallow for me I'm afraid.
Relax: I like this. Good composition and reflection. A good use of "negative space" too.
Vertical: Spot on theme and very colourful. Would have worked well for Bold too.
Mouth: I'm a sucker for a good macro shot and this is great. Interesting interpretation on the theme. Works well with the square crop.
Crowd: Perfect fit to the theme and I really like what you have done in PP.
Close up: Nice composition of some very clean type hammers. I like it (y)
Many thanks for the mega catchup Lee.

Crowd - a really good job of making him stand out from the crowd and the backlighting is spot on :clap:

Close Up - As has already been said, super composition. Were the typebars that pristine to start with or did you have to get the brillo pad on them?
Thanks Elaine. I didn't clean them - honest.

Week 13 - Reshoot (Watery)

Llanddulas Blue by Delta Skies, on Flickr

I've yet to take my Machine photo but in the meantime I grabbed a reshoot of Watery whilst having a week staying at Prestatyn. This was taken along the coast at Llanddulas where you can almost take this shot out of the car window. This was taken down by the water's edge with my newly purchased L bracket and Arca mod for my Manfrotto. Why have I never had a L bracket before? Super piece of kit. This was taken using the compulsory Big Stopper as was a slightly different mono version on my Flickr.

Last edited:
Green with envy comes to mind. What a brilliant shot.:clap::clap: What big stopper do you use. I am looking to buy one

Green with envy comes to mind. What a brilliant shot.:clap::clap: What big stopper do you use. I am looking to buy one
Thanks Mandy.

I use the Lee Filters one. I initially bought a B&W screw in 10 stop but you can't use a full filter system with that to add grads as you can't see where the grad starts/stops. I then moved on to a Formatt-Hitech 10 stop which fits the Lee Filter holder. I found it had quite a colour cast so only really used it for mono shots. Eventually I saw the light (forgive the pun) and bought a Lee Big Stopper and never looked back - well only to buy a Lee Little Stopper which is a nice addition.

I know they are part of the landscape, but I'm not too sure about the wind turbines TBH
(But I don't like the damned things anyway :D )

Having said that, that is rather a pleasant image Peter
I like the way the old break water cuts across the image rather than leading away to distant and full horizon (y)

Hi Pete,

Finally getting round to catching up with everyone's progress!

Crowd - The colours are very pleasing in this shot, it's showcasing the theme well. I wanted to try something similar with Lego men but all my Lego is stashed back at my parents house.

Close up - Great composure and pin sharp details. Some interesting symbols in there, is it a standard UK typewriter?

Watery reshoot - Ahh, Llandulas! A place close to my heart :) You have done a fab job with the big stopper and the tones are nice and neutral. I purchased a Hi-Tech 10 stop about 18 months ago and I've only used it once because I can't get to grips with the colour cast :( Only thing I may like to see is possibly cloning the windfarm out of the background? I became slightly distracted by it.

Looking forward to seeing the still to do themes!

Very ethereal, dreamlike (not my dreams though, far too calm). Good shot.

Close Up - nicely detailed Peter and I like the composition

Re Shoot - that looks almost like a dreamscape, very soothing composition with a good leading line.

Small world, just got back from 5 days at Prestatyn :)

I saw these groynes on Google maps but decided as it was a family holiday not to sneak out and photograph them. Not sure what it was like when you were there but it was very misty while we were they. Quite eerie on the beach.

Watery, has a slight tilt shift feel to it. I'm not sure about the colours/white balance. Maybe I'm so used to seeing such photographs in B&W.

L bracked, I bought one last year and it's one of the best investments I've made. So much easier to compose using it and be able to shift from vertical to horizontal without all the faffing about.

Cheers.

I know they are part of the landscape, but I'm not too sure about the wind turbines TBH
(But I don't like the damned things anyway :D )

Having said that, that is rather a pleasant image Peter
I like the way the old break water cuts across the image rather than leading away to distant and full horizon (y)
Thanks Chris. Those wind turbines are a pain. I've been to this location before and spent ages trying to clone them out with little success due to the graduation of colours along the horizon. This was going to be the same so I left them on. I did clone out a load of seagulls bobbing around on the water though.

Hi Pete,

Finally getting round to catching up with everyone's progress!

Crowd - The colours are very pleasing in this shot, it's showcasing the theme well. I wanted to try something similar with Lego men but all my Lego is stashed back at my parents house.

Close up - Great composure and pin sharp details. Some interesting symbols in there, is it a standard UK typewriter?

Watery reshoot - Ahh, Llandulas! A place close to my heart :) You have done a fab job with the big stopper and the tones are nice and neutral. I purchased a Hi-Tech 10 stop about 18 months ago and I've only used it once because I can't get to grips with the colour cast :( Only thing I may like to see is possibly cloning the windfarm out of the background? I became slightly distracted by it.

Looking forward to seeing the still to do themes!
Thanks for the catch up Rob. See above re: the windfarm.

Nice shot, liking the colours and dreamy look to the water. It puts me in mind of a Pink Floyd cover, "Wish you were here"...
Thanks Tim. One of my favourite albums - especially for chilling me during a landscape shoot

Very ethereal, dreamlike (not my dreams though, far too calm). Good shot.
Thanks Martin

Very nice Peter, I prefer this to the b+w version on your flickr. the water looks really nice and smooth and the colours are lovely.
Thanks Michael. The water was dead calm hence the limited milky look to it.

Close Up - nicely detailed Peter and I like the composition

Re Shoot - that looks almost like a dreamscape, very soothing composition with a good leading line.
Thanks Jill

Small world, just got back from 5 days at Prestatyn :)

I saw these groynes on Google maps but decided as it was a family holiday not to sneak out and photograph them. Not sure what it was like when you were there but it was very misty while we were they. Quite eerie on the beach.

Watery, has a slight tilt shift feel to it. I'm not sure about the colours/white balance. Maybe I'm so used to seeing such photographs in B&W.

L bracked, I bought one last year and it's one of the best investments I've made. So much easier to compose using it and be able to shift from vertical to horizontal without all the faffing about.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Here's my mono one

Llanddulas Mono by Delta Skies, on Flickr

I can't believe you were in Prestatyn - we could have met up for a few piccies or even share the bottle of JD that I had in the caravan. We were staying at the Nant Mill Caravan Park which is on the corner as you come into the town from the East. We were staying from Thursday to Wednesday for the kite festival which we do to support the fun fair. The theory is people will see the kites from a distance and come to see and then spend lots of money on the rides when they find us. Unfortunately the wind was light to non existent so we really struggled to put on a good show for the public.

Last edited:
I did clone out a load of seagulls bobbing around on the water though.
I wish I could just do that, it would make my life so much easier :D
(I spend half my working life chasing the damned things off landfill sites ;) )

Back