weekly Delta Skies 2015 TP52 - Week 17 Heat

Hi Peter, as I said on FB your companion shot is superb, he really is beautiful and I hope you're getting this printed/ framed?

Elegant, oh Waitrose how I miss thee. Do they have Waitrose up your neck of the woods? Superb detail on the fruit, the cheese cake and everything. Love the composition and I just want to eat it now!

HI Peter

Elegant.....super product shot , so much detail , everything sharp & the colors spot on ,looks like you can pick it up off the screen , the clipped corners are something I recall seeing before ( possibly one of your shots ?) & I quite like it :clap: only 2 very slight niggles from me....it does look a mm off level & there seems to be ( possibly my screen at fault) a very very very slight blue cast on the plate shadows....& I do mean very slight :exit:

only 2 very slight niggles from me....it does look a mm off level & there seems to be ( possibly my screen at fault) a very very very slight blue cast on the plate shadows....& I do mean very slight :exit:
Pass the nit comb, there be some picking doing :wacky:

Sorry always got my Landscape head on! hard to remove it;)
No problem at all. I'm usually quite critical of sloping horizons especially if seascapes. I didn't set out for it to be straight - I'd have probably have preferred a bit of an angle but this one seemed to work better with the lighting than the one I tried at about 30 degrees

Hi Peter, as I said on FB your companion shot is superb, he really is beautiful and I hope you're getting this printed/ framed?

Elegant, oh Waitrose how I miss thee. Do they have Waitrose up your neck of the woods? Superb detail on the fruit, the cheese cake and everything. Love the composition and I just want to eat it now!
Thanks Marsha. We don't normally do Waitrose but knowing they are a bit more up market that Morribugs we thought it was worth the trip to North Leeds

:agree:

Certainly looks a plate of yumminess to me Peter!
Thanks Hazel

HI Peter

Elegant.....super product shot , so much detail , everything sharp & the colors spot on ,looks like you can pick it up off the screen , the clipped corners are something I recall seeing before ( possibly one of your shots ?) & I quite like it :clap: only 2 very slight niggles from me....it does look a mm off level & there seems to be ( possibly my screen at fault) a very very very slight blue cast on the plate shadows....& I do mean very slight :exit:
Thanks for the comments Lynne. The blue cast must have been from the wonderful weather we've been having LOL

Pass the nit comb, there be some picking doing :wacky:
Don't mention nits to Sarah. She sees enough of them working in a primary school

Definitely an elegant pudding but I'd rather have Banoffee Pie :)

Just a tad off straight but that's just nit picking :exit:
Thanks Jill. I just wished I could have eaten it but didn't want to risk the nuts.:(

Hi Peter... long time no visit so sorry!

Companions - that's a beauty of a shot of your pooch, fab catchlights and lovely detail on the ears. Super choice of DOF (brave!) as well... well done.

Nice lighting for Elegant. Does look like a Good Food shot which is a compliment but I'd like a bit more gloss (and longer before the best-before date!) on the rasps if I were being really really picky! Nice angle on the plate though - it is a good shot!

Hi Peter... long time no visit so sorry!

Companions - that's a beauty of a shot of your pooch, fab catchlights and lovely detail on the ears. Super choice of DOF (brave!) as well... well done.

Nice lighting for Elegant. Does look like a Good Food shot which is a compliment but I'd like a bit more gloss (and longer before the best-before date!) on the rasps if I were being really really picky! Nice angle on the plate though - it is a good shot!
Thanks for the comments Paul. I'll have a look at those raspberries. I'm wondering whether the PP or even the flickrisation (my new word) has done something nasty to them as they were as fresh as the cake....and I even got to eat some unlike the cake :(

No problem about the long time no visit. I'm still behind in providing feedback myself. I was hoping to do a big catch up last night but failed due to the tail end of man flu catching up on my eyes plus there was an On Landscape live stream discussion on from 8pm so that killed an hour plus.

Lovely shot Peter,
Please don't swap the plate for a round one, because I really, really like the way food looks displayed on a square plate for this sort of thing.
(Although frankly, if it came to eating that I really wouldn't mind what it was served on!)

Nice lighting, good clean details. I really don't mind the cut corners on the plate at all - although I think I may have liked a little more symmetry in how it was framed so that the 'triangles' in each corner were more consistent.

Lovely shot Peter,
Please don't swap the plate for a round one, because I really, really like the way food looks displayed on a square plate for this sort of thing.
(Although frankly, if it came to eating that I really wouldn't mind what it was served on!)

Nice lighting, good clean details. I really don't mind the cut corners on the plate at all - although I think I may have liked a little more symmetry in how it was framed so that the 'triangles' in each corner were more consistent.
Many thanks Sarah. Your comment on symmetry has made me think further on who to present it whilst keeping the top of the plate away from centre. It can be done so I'll remember that for next time.

Elegant - how on earth did you resist temptation not to get stuck in - must of been the most rushed shot of all time - good picture, possibly would of gone with the full plate rather than cut it off

Elegant - how on earth did you resist temptation not to get stuck in - must of been the most rushed shot of all time - good picture, possibly would of gone with the full plate rather than cut it off
Thanks Perry. I couldn't eat it because of the nuts on the top. My only worry was whether it was the dogs or Sarah who would get to it first. :p

Week 6 - Watery

Watery Culvert by Delta Skies, on Flickr

A bit of Urbex from me for this theme. I couldn't get to the location I wanted for the last couple of weeks so headed down into Leeds to try and find a shot of the culvert that runs alongside the aptly named Water Lane. I couldn't see anyway of getting down to the water until a "dodgy' looking character suddenly appeared from the culvert through a whole in the railings. I wanted to spend a bit more time down there but was starting to get some attention from the guys across the road so I opted to leave.

Well worth going back again if anyone wants to join me. Googling some of the Urbex sites shows there's some interesting locations down there.

I love the gritty feel to that, very nice Peter (y)

(I don't blame you for leaving "early" either ;) )

Well worth going back again if anyone wants to join me. Googling some of the Urbex sites shows there's some interesting locations down there.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for a meet (y)

It has quite a minimal feel to it. Plenty of lines and curves. Quite a 'simple' yet effective submission.

I wonder what a slightly more acute angle would have looked like? Not sure if it's a crit, but a different angle may have reduced the impact of the triangle at the LHS.

Cheers.

hi peter, great shot for "watery" love the B+W conversion, great detail, the supple curve of the water is superb :clap:

Blimey this has gone down well - It's been explored on Flickr :banana:

I love the gritty feel to that, very nice Peter (y)

(I don't blame you for leaving "early" either ;) )
Thanks Chris. Because of the subject I was after a gritty look. I had added some texture to increase that feel but it was a little too much so left it off.

Hi Peter

lovely gritty shot for Watery with just the right amount of motion in the water & you usual high standard mono conversion :clap:
Thanks Lynne. I can often do too long an exposure on water but in this case felt movement was more suited than a milky look

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for a meet (y)

It has quite a minimal feel to it. Plenty of lines and curves. Quite a 'simple' yet effective submission.

I wonder what a slightly more acute angle would have looked like? Not sure if it's a crit, but a different angle may have reduced the impact of the triangle at the LHS.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. My aim was to get the curve to go straight into the top left corner which I did without any cropping in post. From the my position it meant keeping that triangle in the shot but given the small weed growth I was happy with that. Maybe the better angle would have been to the right but I did have my wellies :rolleyes:

Definitely a location for a future meet as I don't fancy going exploring any further down there by myself.

I like that Peter, a great b+w conversion. It works very well for me
Thanks Michael.

Week 7 - Bold

Bold as Brass by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Our eldest used to play in a brass band so I borrowed his cornet for this shot purposely using an extremely shallow DoF to get some bokeh although this was a balance between getting some and being covered in burn outs. I purposely chose a high key approach and unusually for me added a border to suit that.

I like the picture and it is a take on the theme that I'm surprised more people haven't done. Personally I'm not a fan of high key shots, having a dark mind, but a nice interpretation nevertheless.

I like this one a lot, the reduced shadows and blacks make it very light which fits the subject really well. Only thing I would say is the mouth piece is a lil bit distracting without more length to bring it into perspective :)

huh, didn't realise there was a watery too lol

I like the watery one too, but I think you should have stood in the water to get a more central shot (JK lol) :p

Hi Peter.

Watery - cracking shot, great interpretation of the theme :)

Bold - another good interpretation, I'm not a fan of high key, but you have done a great job, as usual :)

Hi Peter, really like that one, great DoF on it and I like high key and a great composition too

Love the watery shot. Composition spot on a the treatment suits the subject perfectly. Very nice indeed.

Bold as brass .... Again, a nice idea and good use of DoF.

Bold and brassy, nice use of DoF.
It works for me (y)

I like the picture and it is a take on the theme that I'm surprised more people haven't done. Personally I'm not a fan of high key shots, having a dark mind, but a nice interpretation nevertheless.
Thanks Martin

I like this one a lot, the reduced shadows and blacks make it very light which fits the subject really well. Only thing I would say is the mouth piece is a lil bit distracting without more length to bring it into perspective :)
huh, didn't realise there was a watery too lol

I like the watery one too, but I think you should have stood in the water to get a more central shot (JK lol) :p
Thanks for the comments Summer. I must remember to take my wellies next time:p

Hi Peter.

Watery - cracking shot, great interpretation of the theme :)

Bold - another good interpretation, I'm not a fan of high key, but you have done a great job, as usual :)
Thanks Lorraine

Watery - a lovely gritty image and spot on for the theme. The curve is such a great lead in (y)

Bold - as brass, but the high key effect is making my eyes hurt :(

Watery - Brilliant AGAIN! stand out shot by a mile for the week for me.
Bold - really nice angle works well. was my first thought bold as brass but could not think of anything brass and i did not have a trumpt.

Great processing on Watery, composition works well, and the smoothed water almost looks fake... Good stuff!

Nice thinking behind Bold. I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the high key thing, but I like the vagueness as a result of the shallow DOF.

Watery - a lovely gritty image and spot on for the theme. The curve is such a great lead in (y)

Bold - as brass, but the high key effect is making my eyes hurt :(
Thanks Jill but sorry about your eyes

Bold, Really nice DOF and booked, I wonder what it would be like from a slightly different angle. ( So the dark mouthpiece wasn't as prominent)
Thanks Chris. I was keen to include the mouthpiece so would need to think how to do it differently. Maybe changing lighting on that part would have helped

Watery - Brilliant AGAIN! stand out shot by a mile for the week for me.
Bold - really nice angle works well. was my first thought bold as brass but could not think of anything brass and i did not have a trumpt.
Many thanks for your kind words Simon - especially regarding watery. Since being explored on Flickr I've had loads of views and likes which is nice.

hi Pete
Watery.
Nice, love the detail in the stone work and just enough motion in the water. Was it a culvert, as looks to be an open channel to me.

Bold
Great idea, i do like the DoF and the angle works.
Thanks Darren. I am right in remembering you are an expert on culverts and drains, etc.? You are right though. This was an open channel where I took the shot but it does go underground and hence appears to have the local name of Holbeck Culvert.

Great processing on Watery, composition works well, and the smoothed water almost looks fake... Good stuff!

Nice thinking behind Bold. I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the high key thing, but I like the vagueness as a result of the shallow DOF.
Thanks Nick. The water's not fake honest. I was thinking of using an ND filter but I think turning this milky wouldn't have suited.

I really like this one Peter (even if you did have the same idea as me!). The high key processing works well as does the shallow dof!
Thanks Sarah. As for having the same idea........The early bird catches the worm :p

I really like Bold. I like the choice of a high key processing and for once this week I'm not going to witter on about contrast and ranges of tones. I like the DoF choice too, but I really like the way I was drawn to it as "Bold" even though it could typically not be classed as bold if you know what I mean. It's a really nice photo Peter.

I really like Bold. I like the choice of a high key processing and for once this week I'm not going to witter on about contrast and ranges of tones. I like the DoF choice too, but I really like the way I was drawn to it as "Bold" even though it could typically not be classed as bold if you know what I mean. It's a really nice photo Peter.
Thanks Ian. I appreciate the comments

Back