weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

Sorry just getting round to commenting on both images.

Ha cant believe that you had your Sin tin stolen from by a mischievousness rodent! I like the idea behind the shot. All crit has been covered for that shot id say.

Season - I like both your shots, i like number 2 the most! Got a nice wintery feel to it.

No2 for me DK pity the RH hedge is not quite the same as the LH side (y)

I prefer the first one. Like that its a tangle of branches making your eye move around picture

I would say no.2 is drawing me in as it were..
No.1 has no definitive focal point to hold my attention (y)

Wayne

Hard to pick for me. There's an abstract attraction in #1, busy but interesting. Maybe some trippy abstract processing would be good. I see what you mean about hedge symmetry in #2, but I like the shot. The telegraph poles pull my eyes through the scene, I'd leave 'em in.

Love the snow on the branches, my kind of shot. Really like the patterns and contrast, I'm on laptop but both seem to need brightened
I'd love the tree with some side lighting I think
God spot and great for topic

both bang on theme.. like the lines on the second image but am preferring the snowy tree, nice patterns in the branches

I like the road, I see what you mean about the hedge, maybe a tighter crop would work?

Speaking of seasons, isn't it about time you took that hat off? :LOL:

:)

#1 for me. Nice and simple and bang on theme. IMO, and I know there was none there, but a nice splash of red behind would look good.
Thanks Andy... you don't want much do you :LOL:

#2 is on theme but needs a much deeper layer of snow. I actually don't mind the poles.

Cheers.
Thanks mate, yeah me too... it was much better on the way home but it was too dark :(

I like both of these (y)
The second doesn't look very white to me though, perhaps would have been better if you were 20 yards further down the road where the hedges either side would have been at the same height...as it is it feels wonky to me even though it isn't
Yep I think your right (y) I should have walked down a bit, was a bit worried about kneeling in the middle of the road and getting squished so was up and down like a yo-yo :D

Thanks for the comments :)

The second works a little better for me, the first could do with a focal point, maybe a nice robin or something... shame about the branch that's fallen vertical on the left hand side of that as well. The second one looks good to me, very wintery.
Thanks... your as bad as Andy :LOL:

Only Joking :)

Yeah that would, didn't spot the branch till I got home... may 'add' a robin when I get my PC back :naughty:

I like both but prefer no.2. They-re both well in theme , no.2 - I like the long road in the snow. No.1 illustrates heavy snowfall but just a bit too detailed for me, maybe a bit of snow covered landscape would work in the bottom half of the photo? Great job nevertheless!
Thanks Dave :)

Think all crit covered in those 4 posts there :LOL:, love the first, aside from getting a robin in (and on a third) :lol, which would never happen (not to me anyway).
:cautious: :LOL:

2nd could go quite a bit brighter on the road without clipping, depends if you've got your computer back yet as the sky can't take as much.

And in nice and early too. :clap:
Thanks Graham :)

No not got my PC back yet... it's coming tomorrow with a new motherboard and an additional 8GB ram.... Soooo excited :geek:

Sorry just getting round to commenting on both images.

Ha cant believe that you had your Sin tin stolen from by a mischievousness rodent! I like the idea behind the shot. All crit has been covered for that shot id say.

Season - I like both your shots, i like number 2 the most! Got a nice wintery feel to it.
Thanks Lee.. appreciate the comments :)

No2 for me DK pity the RH hedge is not quite the same as the LH side (y)
Cheers Allan :)... yeah a real bummer... I tried cloning some hedge and verge to fill the gap, but my lappy really is just not up to it !!!!!

I prefer the first one. Like that its a tangle of branches making your eye move around picture
Thanks Anita :)

I would say no.2 is drawing me in as it were..
No.1 has no definitive focal point to hold my attention (y)

Wayne
Cheers Wayne :) I think your spot on there with most opinions

Hard to pick for me. There's an abstract attraction in #1, busy but interesting. Maybe some trippy abstract processing would be good. I see what you mean about hedge symmetry in #2, but I like the shot. The telegraph poles pull my eyes through the scene, I'd leave 'em in.
Hi Nick - Thanks for that... may have a play when PC is back :)

Wasn't sure on the poles, glad you think they work

I like #1 the best, I was looking out the office window earlier today and saw a tree very similar but I already made my submission for this week. Like the abstract feel of the image.
Hi Karl - Thanks :)

That is what I was going for, but still feel it needs a little something :thinking:

Love the snow on the branches, my kind of shot. Really like the patterns and contrast, I'm on laptop but both seem to need brightened
I'd love the tree with some side lighting I think
God spot and great for topic
Cheers Bruce :)

If we get snow this weekend I'll have a couple of hours playing about I think :)

both bang on theme.. like the lines on the second image but am preferring the snowy tree, nice patterns in the branches

I like the road, I see what you mean about the hedge, maybe a tighter crop would work?

Speaking of seasons, isn't it about time you took that hat off? :LOL:

:)
Oh crap yeah... forgot about my hat :LOL:

Cheers Brian :)

Hmmmm a tighter crop... I'll give that a go :thinking:

Hi,

The first season shot for me. I like the idea of a web of snow covered branches that keep pulling you around the image.

Hi DK. The first of your season shots works best for me too. You can definitely feel the cold in it. Just get photoshopping that robin in somewhere ;)

The second doesn't look quite white enough for me. Looks a little more like sand :)

second shot is my pick - the first seems a little chaotic for me - and in regards to the second shot i like the fact the snow is off white - its more true to reality than had you altered the white balance in PP

My eyes don't know where to look on the first, but the second is good. I like the lines (including telegraph poles) that draw the eyes in - I think a B&W conversion would be better still.

Hi Dean,
I am a fan of both entries (y)
The abstract nature of #1 works well, I think in this instance, my eye doesn't need a focal point the whole frame is the subject.

#2 works equally as well, I do like the vanishing point central to the frame, maybe just a crop to letterbox style to accenuate the perspective.

Good work matey (y)

second shot is my pick - the first seems a little chaotic for me - and in regards to the second shot i like the fact the snow is off white - its more true to reality than had you altered the white balance in PP
Thanks Dan... I'm tempted to have a play about with WB when I have my LR library sorted, but I'll keep the original :)

My eyes don't know where to look on the first, but the second is good. I like the lines (including telegraph poles) that draw the eyes in - I think a B&W conversion would be better still.
Hi Phil :)

Understand about the first... will try a B&W conversion, probably a high contrast

Love the first season photo mate looks spot on. Good work
Thanks Nick :)

Hi Dean,
I am a fan of both entries (y)
The abstract nature of #1 works well, I think in this instance, my eye doesn't need a focal point the whole frame is the subject.

#2 works equally as well, I do like the vanishing point central to the frame, maybe just a crop to letterbox style to accenuate the perspective.

Good work matey (y)
Cheers Iain :)

I'll do that for certain :)

Hi DK

Bit late in getting to you - soz

Sin - agree with you about WB - a bit whiter and the colours would really pop. Like the comp but for me the blue wrapper should be in focus as it is dominant in the frame.

Season #1 is good but doesn't thrill me
#2 I really like. Snow could be a bit whiter but think that pov, comp, receding focus, diag lines of hedges and wires make for a good shot. Also the shot gives me the feeling that something sisnister lurks at the end of the lane.

I'd go for #2, although I think it is a bit underexposed. I like the way the road runs pretty straight all the way to the horizon. perhaps you could try it in monochrome with a bit more brightness and contrast?

Hi DK

Bit late in getting to you - soz
No worries mate... I know how busy it all is, struggling to even get around to my own thread :D

Sin - agree with you about WB - a bit whiter and the colours would really pop. Like the comp but for me the blue wrapper should be in focus as it is dominant in the frame.
Yup :)

Season #1 is good but doesn't thrill me
#2 I really like. Snow could be a bit whiter but think that pov, comp, receding focus, diag lines of hedges and wires make for a good shot. Also the shot gives me the feeling that something sisnister lurks at the end of the lane.
Ooooo cheers :)

I'd go for #2, although I think it is a bit underexposed. I like the way the road runs pretty straight all the way to the horizon. perhaps you could try it in monochrome with a bit more brightness and contrast?
Thanks Andrew... I certainly would likr to have a play around with this :)

Struggled with the light on this one... couldn't get to the other side of it so have done what I can, so yet another re-shoot candidate :D

Week 3 - 'Gravity' seems it got the better of this tree.

Wk 3 - 'Gravity' by TP DK..., on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh pants....how the hell'd I miss your thread :bang:

Season....Liking #1 as an abstract , some good detail in the snow & it's busy enough to keep me looking round it :)
Also like #2...quite partial to a long straight road covered in snow...agree with who vere mentione the hedges though...possibly crop it where they become the same height ?

Gravity........hmmmm not quite sure...on theme for sure but wonder if B&W help...you've almost got a silhoette (sp?) there baring the grass ...maybe not , it'd probably become a big black lump...ignore me :LOL:

Bang on theme and nice detail. I'd like to see a tad more space around the tree.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy... comment taken on board :)

Oh pants....how the hell'd I miss your thread :bang:
Because there are LOADS to get too :LOL:

Season....Liking #1 as an abstract , some good detail in the snow & it's busy enough to keep me looking round it :)
Also like #2...quite partial to a long straight road covered in snow...agree with who vere mentione the hedges though...possibly crop it where they become the same height ?
Yup... thanks, I really must try that !!!!

Gravity........hmmmm not quite sure...on theme for sure but wonder if B&W help...you've almost got a silhoette (sp?) there baring the grass ...maybe not , it'd probably become a big black lump...ignore me :LOL:
Hahaaaaa... I have a B&W too :)

Week 3 is bang on theme, think I'd prefer a slightly less tight crop though! :)
Thanks Matt :)

Right... Edit on it's way :)

very well caught up DN. Lovely set of bird shots there. (y)

Last edited:
Hi DK. Gravity-a great shot but as already pointed out a bit tightly cropped. Prefer the colour to B&W but well in theme. Wild- 4 cracking photos, my preference go to both 1 & 4, colours, DoF and both nicely cropped. Great job on both! see you next week.

very well caught up DN. Lovely set of bird shots there. (y)
Cheers Brian :)

Hi DK. Gravity-a great shot but as already pointed out a bit tightly cropped. Prefer the colour to B&W but well in theme. Wild- 4 cracking photos, my preference go to both 1 & 4, colours, DoF and both nicely cropped. Great job on both! see you next week.
Thanks Dave... appreciated :)

I have widened the crop as much as I dare... there is way too much poor sky any wider :)

Back