weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

OMG I love all your danger shots. I was impressed with the first one when I saw it in the main thread but I found the others even more impressive. Probably because the waves are bigger and so make a more impactful picture. I would say my favourite is #3. I like the glistening sharpness of the wet ground and the railing on the side frames the picture very nicely. And, of course, the wave is perfectly captured.

1st for me Dean, With the ship framed between the waves,
Jealous as hell though that you live so close to the sea, if I want to go sea fishing its a good 3 hours ea / way.

Super selection DK ...hard to chose a favourite but probably for the theme it's #2 as I think the blue sky adds to the shot, but #3 is a great angle. There's a video going around Facebook of some people getting washed into the sea and it's very scary, I imagine your experience was too, although you sound more worried about your camera :) do take care.

#3 is the pick for me. Definitely the best POV and easily makes up for the lack of signage pointing to there being a danger - the shot doesn't need it imo.

I also like the fact that the wall leads off into the distance almost giving a landscape shot within this one [emoji106]

Nice camouflage DK, sorry I knicked your idea:), nice and bright though.

I like your last danger one, great timing and I like the silhouette as well, but being a fisherman I'm probably a bit biased :)

I like number one the best, the boat's perfectly placed and you eye is led nicely upwards and into the distance as you look at the picture. They're all decent shots though and the fisherman photo deserves special mention. Coincidentally, I took a picture of a fisherman last year. True story.

Abandoned - Great that you left this in colour, works well and shows that Abandoned shots don't all need to be dark and moody. I actually like the brightness through the window, especially the yellow glow on the brickwork.
Camouflage - it's a very bright vibrant image with the bonus of having something to eat after you've done the shot.
Dangerous - like all the shots but the 2nd is my favourite for the theme, I like the POV you used and it works well with the wave against the blue sky. The last shot deserves a mention though as I really like it as a shot, just doesn't say danger for me. Glad you and the camera survived the experience.

First for me Dean....definitely.
It has an almost 3D look about it!
I'd love to catch some storming waves.

Hi DK. My gosh you did have an adventure eh! Each has something; I couldn't decide captured my interest most because of the battered sign and the wave so nicely contrasted against that lovely blue sky. #4 for perfect timing.
Cool, thanks Carl :cool:

Hi DK number 3 for me I agree with you about the angles it just works better, I love going to the seaside on a bleak stormy day its exhilarating
Thanks Allan :)

Again not as dangerous as the ellesmere bears :mooning:
HaHaaaa I bet they were not quite as wet either :D

Hi Dean, some great images there. Camouflage is nicely on theme but the image itself feels a bit flat to me - perhaps because it's shot straight on with little opportunity to use DOF to add a sense of distance? Lighting works, but is quite hard. However, I reckon that hard light and flat POV could work really well with fewer sweets - perhaps a 3x3 or 5x5 arrangement with space between them? Seeing the hard shadow would then add to the picture for me.
Hey Paul, liking that idea mate, if only I had not eaten them all already, marking down for a re-shoot week, as that sounds just right... less is more after all (y)

Danger has some great captures - I like the moment-in-time nature of the last one and the blown highlights don't detract for me. I agree with you that the one before of the wave crashing over the wall is visually the most appealing, but for the theme probably the one before from the low POV. Really good series though - and perhaps a candidate or two for B&W conversion?
Thanks again Paul, I always appreciate your comments and suggestions, maybe this year I should try and learn to do a few B&W shots, I always seem to steer myself away from the idea, having not messed with the presets or sliders much in that respect :)

OMG I love all your danger shots.
Thank you Sheylara :)

I was impressed with the first one when I saw it in the main thread but I found the others even more impressive. Probably because the waves are bigger and so make a more impactful picture. I would say my favourite is #3. I like the glistening sharpness of the wet ground and the railing on the side frames the picture very nicely. And, of course, the wave is perfectly captured.
Cool... thanks again :)

1st for me Dean, With the ship framed between the waves,
Cheers Chris (y)
Jealous as hell though that you live so close to the sea, if I want to go sea fishing its a good 3 hours ea / way.
Blimey - you couldn't be much further away could you :D

Super selection DK ...hard to chose a favourite but probably for the theme it's #2 as I think the blue sky adds to the shot, but #3 is a great angle.
Thanks Suzie :)

There's a video going around Facebook of some people getting washed into the sea and it's very scary,
My goodness... glad nobody caught me on film :DI
imagine your experience was too, although you sound more worried about your camera :) do take care.
Too right :LOL:

#3 is the pick for me. Definitely the best POV and easily makes up for the lack of signage pointing to there being a danger - the shot doesn't need it imo.
Thank you Ian (y)

I also like the fact that the wall leads off into the distance almost giving a landscape shot within this one [emoji106]
I liked that element too, a real odd sea wall finishing like that on the beach :) :thinking:

Nice camouflage DK, sorry I knicked your idea:), nice and bright though.
Ha Haaaaa great minds and all that :D

I like your last danger one, great timing and I like the silhouette as well, but being a fisherman I'm probably a bit biased :)
Ahhhh you are in both nutty camps then :clap:

Abandoned - Great that you left this in colour, works well and shows that Abandoned shots don't all need to be dark and moody. I actually like the brightness through the window, especially the yellow glow on the brickwork.
Thank you Steve, I guess burnt out areas get frowned upon so often we try to avoid them at all costs :)
Camouflage - it's a very bright vibrant image with the bonus of having something to eat after you've done the shot.
Thanks again :)
Dangerous - like all the shots but the 2nd is my favourite for the theme, I like the POV you used and it works well with the wave against the blue sky.
Yeas was a tough choice, hence the few put up, I'm glad people are actually liking different shots :)

The last shot deserves a mention though as I really like it as a shot, just doesn't say danger for me. Glad you and the camera survived the experience.
And a final thank you, agreed, a bit of a shoehorn, although be it just, I didn't want to miss posting it up :D

Great set - I like the inclusion of the ship in the first - it gives a wider sense of danger at sea, as well as near to it.
Thank you Emma :)

First for me Dean....definitely.
It has an almost 3D look about it!
I'd love to catch some storming waves.
Thanks Ruth :)

You must do it sometime, very exhilarating when the weather is right... get Chris to drag you out one day (y)

Blimey, after all that you could have just taken a picture of a camera because photography itself is dangerous sometimes.

Great set of pictures Dean, #2 for the theme for me, I don't know why, it's just a better composition I think. My favourite is #3 though and I do think you get a sense of scale when you see the people in distance.

I like all three but number three stands out for me, the sea, sky and the fisherman casting make it a really great 'dangerous' shot.

Missed your camouflage shot, but really nicely done - simple but great idea.
Danger - really liking the first shot.

Hi Dean All looking good so far. Particularly like what you did with abandoned. The cloud trail works really well as does the light adding the glow to the window. As to Danger, No 2 works for me, nice vibrant colours add to the balance and I don't think it is any worse ff for not having the ship in it (y)

Not really no, MK is reportedly the furthest point from any coast in the UK :rolleyes:
Well, for a keen fisherman what a dumb choice then :LOL:

#2 says it all :clap: Hope you didn't get wet DK
Thanks David :)

I got absolutely flipping soaked, bellybutton down, but I must say, my new trousers dried out a treat very quickly :)

Dangerous a good set of photos from you Dean.
Thank you Mandy :)

Hi Dean, really like the last shot with the fisherman.
Cheers Lee, liking that one myself a lot too :)

Blimey, after all that you could have just taken a picture of a camera because photography itself is dangerous sometimes.
Ahhhh very true Jill :)

Great set of pictures Dean

#2 for the theme for me, I don't know why, it's just a better composition I think. My favourite is #3 though and I do think you get a sense of scale when you see the people in distance.
Thanks again :) and yes you are correct if you look close enough it was damn rough and Sooooooooooo noisy :D

I like all three but number three stands out for me, the sea, sky and the fisherman casting make it a really great 'dangerous' shot.
Thank you Liz, glad you think so :)

Missed your camouflage shot, but really nicely done - simple but great idea.
Cheers Paul (y)
Danger - really liking the first shot.
Thanks again :)

Danger #3 for me DK. It shows the anger of the sea on a stormy day and there is scale, the railings on the right give the sense of scale.
Ahhhh good thinking Lee :)

Ideally there would be a person standing there or walking along, but hey, nobody THAT stupid at the time :D

Hi Dean All looking good so far. Particularly like what you did with abandoned. The cloud trail works really well as does the light adding the glow to the window. As to Danger, No 2 works for me, nice vibrant colours add to the balance and I don't think it is any worse ff for not having the ship in it (y)
Cheers Chris, I did hum n har about the lack of ship :)

Right... onto this weeks theme, a toughie, a busy week so a few 'grab shots' from me, they all work theme wise, but not the most exciting :)

Please, if you wish to comment feel free as usual to just pick one and comment on that, I certain do not expect comments on all :)

<best viewed LARGE on flickr> :D

Wk 8 - Topical

The NHS always in the news

I picked this one as my main image as I just like the mass of bright colour

Week 8 - Topical - NHS always in the news by TP DK, on Flickr

Falling Fuel prices - I tried to concentrate the viewers attention on the prices, there are a few distractions, but hoping it has worked :)

Week 8 - Topical 2 - Dropping fuel prices by TP DK, on Flickr

And last of all - The High Street, Constant Sales and empty shops, the dying high street :)

Week 8 - Topical 3 - constant Sales &amp; Empty high streets by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing all :)

Last edited:
Good set there Dean, the NHS is very topical,as are empty high streets but the falling fuel prices wins it for me, you did well to get the attention on the numbers.

HI Dean sorry been a bit slow a commenting

Dangerous I like all 3 but think No1 one is the best as the sign adds a splash of bright colour to the scene.

Topical

Love the colours and DOF in number 1 really catches your eye

Number 2 defiantly topical and one we can all relate too having the guy filling up with fuel adds to the image

Number 3 Another great image that is certainly on topic (sorry) I really like the composition of this and the contrast between the run down empty shop and the occupied shops

Good set there Dean, the NHS is very topical,as are empty high streets but the falling fuel prices wins it for me, you did well to get the attention on the numbers.
Cheers Chris :)

HI Dean sorry been a bit slow a commenting
No worries... there is WAY too many at this stage of the game to keep up with everybody :)

Dangerous I like all 3 but think No1 one is the best as the sign adds a splash of bright colour to the scene.
Thanks Mark :)

Topical

Love the colours and DOF in number 1 really catches your eye
That's what I thought - Thanks :)

Number 2 defiantly topical and one we can all relate too having the guy filling up with fuel adds to the image
Thanks Again :)

Yes I did have to time it to get a guy filling up on the wrong side of the pumps, it looked too dull when people stood on the other side of the cars :)

Number 3 Another great image that is certainly on topic (sorry) I really like the composition of this and the contrast between the run down empty shop and the occupied shops
Thanks yet again, and for commenting on all Mark :)

Has to be the first of the shots for me Dean, mainly due to the bright colours and perspective.
The chap filling his car cheaply is out of focus. I appreciate that the price is the main subject, but I think this would have worked better if everything was in focus.
As for the high street. Too depressing to comment...

My gosh, some of us weren't struggling with ideas for the theme then ! First is best - closest to my heart (in both senses I suppose ha ha). Colour is spot on and the DoF just makes it - brilliantly taken DK. :clap:

Hi DK ....three excellent ideas there :) I think #1 is my favourite because the colour is so eye catching, but #2 and 3 do tell a bit more of a story, unfortunately most high streets seem to tell the same tale these days....rent free does sound rather desperate.
Thank you Susie :)

Yeah when they get a few close together like that they really need to do something to attract businesses, in that spot there are 5 shops in a row closed... sad times :(

Has to be the first of the shots for me Dean, mainly due to the bright colours and perspective.
Thanks Lee :)
The chap filling his car cheaply is out of focus. I appreciate that the price is the main subject, but I think this would have worked better if everything was in focus.
Thanks Lee... Now that didn't even cross my mind, I deliberately went for the sign :)
As for the high street. Too depressing to comment...
Is a shame isn't it, I for one like looking around shops and holding the stuff I want to buy, but at times are as guilty as many and use the easy, and cheap internet shops :(

My gosh, some of us weren't struggling with ideas for the theme then ! First is best - closest to my heart (in both senses I suppose ha ha). Colour is spot on and the DoF just makes it - brilliantly taken DK. :clap:
Thank you Carl :cool: :)

Hi DK, all 3 work well for the subject. I think number 1 and 2 are the better of the bunch though :)
Cheers Rob :)

Hi

I agree with the choice of #1, those colours are too bright to ignore (which is probably why they picked them for the ambulance). Being ulta picky, I'd have preferred slightly greater DOF to make the word "England" just a little bit less out of focus.

Lots of Topicals there. I like the man filling up, his eye like ours is drawn to the price.

Nice set Dean, I'm with you on the NHS one, nice and bright and to the point (y)

hi DK, all work for the theme but I think the first one grabs me because of the vibrancy
Thank you Allan :)

Hi Dean, the first one for me - totally in your face in terms of frame filling, obvious use of DOF and vibrancy of colours. Very grabbing and would be a good stock photo I could see used for media very frequently. You should upload to a stock site!
Wow... Thanks :cool: :blush:

Hi

I agree with the choice of #1, those colours are too bright to ignore (which is probably why they picked them for the ambulance). Being ulta picky, I'd have preferred slightly greater DOF to make the word "England" just a little bit less out of focus.
Cheers Nick :)

I see what you mean, I limited myself to half a dozen quick shots from different angles, I didn't get chance to try some different stops, certainly know what you mean, it would be nice like that :)

Lots of Topicals there. I like the man filling up, his eye like ours is drawn to the price.
Thanks David - Looks like I was rumbled by the passenger in the car behind too :D

Back